OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

I'm still a Bryz fan. Philly is just where goalies go to die. I would welcome him on the Ducks with open arms if we could trade Fasth.

BTW the B's should be fine as long as they dump Peverley for picks. That would give them just shy of 12 mil to sign a backup goalie, Rask, and Horton. Rask will end up getting 6 per and Horton 4.5 per. IMO they'll be able to make it work losing only Ference and Peverley. The fatigue is what will end up killing em next year though.

Last edited:
He's a cancer, the entire team hated him

And there were supposedly locker room issues with Richards/Carter which fueled their trades. Maybe the problem is bigger than just Bryz? Because all I know, is when he was in Anaheim, nobody had anything bad to say about him. If he can find the right fit team/system like Bobrovsky did he'll get it going like he did in PHX/ANA.

Last edited:
Thoughts on a repeat? we all thought this is what would happen after the first cup in 2010, but they fizzled out quick in the first round 2 years in a row...

Thoughts on a repeat? we all thought this is what would happen after the first cup in 2010, but they fizzled out quick in the first round 2 years in a row...
Nobody thought the Blackhawks were going to repeat in 2011, they were dissembling that team right after they won. If you are a Blackhawks fan you would know this though, the 2010 team was a salary cap nightmare. As much as I talked trash on here, losing Niemi was the dumbest thing that 2010 team did. SJ got him for cheap and Chicago could have easily paid him what he was asking for. As much as I think the future is bright; I just don't see a repeat being a reality. This league is so competitive and judging the past cup winners, the SC hangover will most likely strike Chicago too.

New divisions also throw some uncertainty into the mix.

I have no illusion Vancouver is coming out #1 with Anaheim, SJ, and LA all now in the same division. :smh:

He's a cancer, the entire team hated him

And there were supposedly locker room issues with Richards/Carter which fueled their trades. Maybe the problem is bigger than just Bryz? Because all I know, is when he was in Anaheim, nobody had anything bad to say about him. If he can find the right fit team/system like Bobrovsky did he'll get it going like he did in PHX/ANA.

It's totally different though, Philly media are hounds like big Canadian markets and NYC, Boston. Some players can't handle it...in Phoenix it's a lot easier to hide and not face constant pressure than it is here...and wasn't he backup in Anaheim for the most part? Bryz is also a very interesting person :lol: like dude visited with the Russian space center and a lot of the media here didn't like him personally, like that randy miller guy is a hack...putting all that out there like that is totally unprofessional. I don't deny it's true most likely but that's childish...there's only a couple good beat writers the rest try and stir up controversy and Bryz didn't handle that heat well at all

I'm bragging. :lol: But it's the day after, let me enjoy. :smokin

I'd say Bryz's issues in Philly had a lot more to with the fact that he didn't have a team in front of him that was capable of playing sound defensive hockey. Sure the media didn't help matters, but it all stemmed from the team not being successful as a whole, so he became the scapegoat. And he started quite a bit in Anaheim, including some playoff games, because Giguere went through a few injuries.

I'd say Bryz's issues in Philly had a lot more to with the fact that he didn't have a team in front of him that was capable of playing sound defensive hockey. Sure the media didn't help matters, but it all stemmed from the team not being successful as a whole, so he became the scapegoat. And he started quite a bit in Anaheim, including some playoff games, because Giguere went through a few injuries.

That's such a cop out

I've never seen a goalie let in so many soft goals, did you even watch him in his two years in Philly?

Last edited:
In this shortened season yeah our team struggled but even the first year his series vs the Pens was only masked by how bad fleury was and we had to score like 5-6 goals a game just to have a chance. Against the devils when we needed a goalie to make plays he was really bad, you can't expect the offense to score 5 goals a game in the playoffs..now I don't blame him for signing that HUGE contract Ed snider and Holmgren are dumb for offering it but with that deal comes huge expectations.

I've seen some stats on the flyers sbnation site that show he was like the bottom 10% of goalies in the league...that's totally unacceptable. Bob was a rookie in North America and couldn't even speak English and did significantly better than him. Bryz had so many bone headed plays it was painful to watch on a daily basis :lol: our front office looks so dumb though for giving him huge money without even letting the market settle.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did. A dozen or so games this year. 20+ last year. You ever see him play with Phoenix or Anaheim? Sometimes teams just aren't good fits for certain players. (eg, Bobrovsky). Especially in the case of goalies, a team's system makes all the difference in the world. IMO if you put any goalie save for Henrik/Quick in Philly and they are going to struggle.

I'm willing to move Seguin immediately. Boston fans have waited patiently for consistency and growth.

I want, and we need, Johnny back. Rather see Ference and/or McQuaid walk.

Thank goodness for the emergence of Dougie, Bartkowski, and Krug.

Yea Seguin is a tough one. I want to see him get a serious look on that top line if Horton is gone, which is likely. He's shown chemistry with Lucic in the past, and with Krejci, you'd think they can develop something nice. As far as flipping him, it would be immediate and serious return that I'd want. No draft pick or prospect package. He probably doesn't command too much though given the season he just had.

I'm split on Johnny. Sometimes he's a rock. He plays with heart and has an underrated shot. ALWAYS sacrifices his body to block a shot. But I dunno, I wouldn't hate getting rid of him to help keep a Horton around. Out the guys left to sign (assuming Tuukka is a lock to be resigned), Horton needs to stay.

EDIT: just saw Boychuk's salary the next few years. He almost has to go :wow: :lol:

Last edited:
Kudos for you guys being able to talk about next year so soon after.

After Vancouver lost, I was outside burning ants with a magnifying glass.

Well, it was a hard fought game and it was extremely heartbreaking for them to lose in that fashion but it happened and its time to move on to the next season.

With the cap going down, there are tons of things that The Bruins must do. Everybody has been saying that Horton should stay and I totally agree on that. He would have to take a discount to be part of the Black & Gold. Obviously, the first priority for PC is to sign Tuukka Rask to a new deal.

Who do I see leaving? Ference and probably Peverley. We will miss Andy's leadership but nobody will miss Plexiglass Pevs.

There will probably be trades to help with the cap. It's just going to be hard to see such a good core leaving bit by bit but that is the way it is now with the CBA.

I don't see Jagr coming back as well. He is most likely going to retire or he will just latch onto another or team or just go back to Czech Republic. Either way, the guy has options on what he wants to do.

The cap drops about $7M next season, meaning the Bruins have approximately $5M to work with this offseason. Haggerty reported today that the Bruins do not plan to use a compliance buy-out during the summer (a mistake, in my opinion -- one of them has to go), so the little space they do have must go towards resigning Rask, who is certain to receive a max-type deal ($7M AAV).

This puts the Bruins at the limit.

Consequently, the Chiarelli will be unable to resign important FAs Horton (I expect he'll end up in Edmonton) and Ference. Ference can be replaced on the back-end by Bartkowski or Hamilton, but the loss of Horton is damaging not only to the team's competitive advantage (that is, size and skill upfront), but also to the confidence of its players. Lucic is close with his linemate, Horton, and will likely be affected by his departure. As inconsistent as Horton can be, I don't see how they replace him internally.

Not to mention, training camp opens in 90 days. The team will be wiped, and as we've seen before, will use the condensed layoff as an excuse for its play.

EDIT: I should mention that Savard's LITR does not count against the cap, but I haven't really looked at the numbers closely enough to determine exactly how that affects their cap position-- besides the fact that they will have more than ~$5M.

Tyler Seguin 21
Milan Lucic 25
Nathan Horton 28
Dougie Hamilton 19
Torey Krug 22
Patrice Bergeron 27
Tuukka Rask 26
Daniel Paille 29
Brad Marchand 25
Greg Campbell 29
David Krejci 27

Not worried about the future. We have young, talented core. Chara and Sidenberg looked old and beat down the stretch. That's one spot I am worried about.

What type of value could we expect for Seguin?

Maybe I'm underrating Horty, based on the way other B's fans are prioritizing.

Back
Top Bottom