Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

Originally Posted by JUS3

Originally Posted by i3allistic

any android phone coming out for AT&T? my contract is up in nov but i can upgrade in july ...android is really catching my attention ....
laugh.gif
The HTC Desire looks dope.  It's basically the Nexus One, but instead of the trackball, there's a sensor pad.  I wish that phone was going to T-Mobile
smh.gif
it is, with a qwerty keyboard it's gonna be callled the HTC Vision.

treid lookin a few pages back but couldnt find it.....how much will the Evo be at best buy....I'm not eligble for any upgrade so I'll have to pay full price... Im guessing best buy would be cheaper then buying it from Sprint... any help?

article_label_fileunder.gif
Cellphones, Mobile Software
[h4]HTC Evo 4G rooted in record time (video)[/h4]
By Vladislav Savov posted May 24th 2010 3:47AM

post_icon_video.gif

We're still a good dozen days away from its public release, but the Evo 4G has already been given a rooting makeover. Google dished out Evo handsets to all the lucky (so lucky!) attendees of its blowout I/O 2010 event, and a trio of those visitors rolled up their sleeves and decided to get down and intimate with the phone over the weekend. The product of their labor is at this stage just a few screenshots and a blurry video after the break, but fear not, we're sure details of the hack will be forthcoming promptly.

[Thanks to everyone who sent this in]

just upgraded my n1
happy.gif

Update:
I'm getting a little concerned.  My download speeds have completely died (I'm still showing 3G).  Like I literally downloading at 4kbps.  I've tried restarting and still am having the problem.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Originally Posted by ninjahood

yo im on da worldstar home screen and all da flash ads at da top are playin, all 4 videos can be seen FROM DA TITLE SCREEN. and play right there..pssh..nothing is seeing

my nexus one right now...nada
laugh.gif
devil.gif

i gotta film this and post it here this is epic
frown.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

son made hype
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Naw forreal tho I think ima pass on the Evo and stick with Tmobile and get the Nexus One when they become subsidized at the Tmobile store in a few weeks.
is this confirmed?
that would  be amazing. i haven't heard anything but Ive been on vacation for a week and I usually find info online before work anyway
roll.gif
t-mobile has been subsidizing this phone for new contracts since da phone's inception in january for 179.

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

yo im on da worldstar home screen and all da flash ads at da top are playin, all 4 videos can be seen FROM DA TITLE SCREEN. and play right there..pssh..nothing is seeing

my nexus one right now...nada
laugh.gif
devil.gif

i gotta film this and post it here this is epic
frown.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif

son made hype
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Naw forreal tho I think ima pass on the Evo and stick with Tmobile and get the Nexus One when they become subsidized at the Tmobile store in a few weeks.
is this confirmed?
that would  be amazing. i haven't heard anything but Ive been on vacation for a week and I usually find info online before work anyway
roll.gif
t-mobile has been subsidizing this phone for new contracts since da phone's inception in january for 179.
wasnt that online only though and through google? and also you have to get a plan they chose or something like that?

I read somewhere that the nexus is comin to stores since the online store hasnt been very successful.

its a matter of time before we see some in stores but I am hoping sooner than later.

This sucks. Everything works fine except my download speeds are in the garbage. I don't know what to do.

Originally Posted by ZoomGP

I read somewhere that the nexus is comin to stores since the online store hasnt been very successful.

its a matter of time before we see some in stores but I am hoping sooner than later.
Truth. Lookin at HTC's 2010 roadmap, all the good phones have released already for the most part so holdin out for a better Android phone is pointless. I'm tryna wait to see what the Sk Twist looks like but if the N1 starts poppin up in stores, I'm gon make that leap. Hope Walmart gets em so I can save some money
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by ZoomGP

Truth. Lookin at HTC's 2010 roadmap, all the good phones have released already for the most part so holdin out for a better Android phone is pointless. I'm tryna wait to see what the Sk Twist looks like but if the N1 starts poppin up in stores, I'm gon make that leap. Hope Walmart gets em so I can save some money
laugh.gif
Wasn't the roadmap for the first half of the year.
article_label_fileunder.gif
Cellphones, HD Misc., HD Content, Mobile Handsets, Mobile Software
[h4]How to get Hulu running on Android 2.2, for now[/h4]
By Donald Melanson posted May 24th 2010 12:36PM

Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1. A perfect combination for combination for a little Hulu on the go, right? Not quite, as Hulu has decided to block videos (for legal reasons) when it detects a mobile device, but it turns out there is a surprisingly simple workaround. As Absolutely Android explains, all you have to do is make Hulu think you're using a desktop browser, which can be done simply by entering "about:debug" in the address bar and switching the UAString setting from Android to desktop. The only downside to the trick is that you'll now also get the full desktop version of the Hulu site (and any other site, until you switch it back), and there's a better than decent chance that Hulu will close this loophole before you can finish your first episode of Kojak.

[table][tr][td]
post_label_VIA.gif
Mashable

post_label_source.gif
Absolutely Android
[/td][/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]
http://www.absolutelyandroid.com/guide-hulu-on-android-2-2-froyo/
[/td][/tr][/table]

For anyone who cares....
Via Tmonews.com

[h2]myTouch 3G Going Free In Preparation For Slide Launch?[/h2]
Posted at 9:07 am EDT, May 24th, 2010 by David.

With the myTouch Slide launch less than two weeks away, T-Mobile has gone and made the original myTouch 3G, the 3.5mm head jack edition available for the low price of…free! The original myTouch 3G, which as it turned out is the first in what is looking like a series of myTouch devices, launched to a whole lot of fanfare and a series of B-list celebrity commercials. Needless to say the device still remains one of the more popular T-Mobile Android phones and should make a nice companion to those people looking to jump on the Android train without any use for the latest and greatest. White and Black editions are both available from T-Mobile.com now and as far as we know this is an online only offer.

T-Mobile

Quote:
[table][tr][td]
Originally Posted by RenegadEEE

Can someone explain in normal language what has been achieved so far? And what are the problems we're facing now?
[/td][/tr][/table]
I'll have a go at that
smile.gif

The Mondrian NBH posted in this thread is a format that HTC uses, that you can consider a "container" like a cup or a box. We know this format fully and can dump and create it at will (NBHImageTool)

The qualcomm snapdragon can be thought of a miniature dual-core computer. It is different from a normal computer that has dual cores in an important way: Each core is assigned it's own block of memory, and runs its own operating system. There is a shared block of memory allowing the 2 operating systems to communicate with each other.

Inside that .nbh container, are some more containers. One is "radio.nb" - inside here is the various software that drives the "second processor". Another is "spl.nb" - this contains the tri-color bootloader that most of you are familiar with as HardSPL. This bootloader has changed considerably for WP7 and it's layout will need to be determined. Another is "unknown-0x0804.nb", as you might guess we don't know what that is yet
smile.gif
Finally, there's "os.nb" - the last container. This one has the OS we want to work with (WP7), and really it's not os.nb as that is the format used on WM6, so far all the WP7 ROMs ive seen use the "flash.store.bin" container format. My NBHImageTool currently names the output file incorrectly as os.nb. I will update a future version to check the actual content of the file and name it properly (flash.store.bin)

In order for us to port the OS from one device to another, one basic thing we need to be able to do is "dump" the "flash.store.bin" container format to its components (I did this manually with a hex editor, and posted on post 2 of this thread), and re-build the flash.store.bin from those components (after we've edited them to do the actual "porting")

We don't yet know the flash.store.bin container format, which is the current hurdle i'm working on. Once we are able to easily dump/rebuild that, there are a number of other challenges to meet, such as how we relocate modules to function on another device. Modules are built with a pre-determined memory layout, and each device has a different memory layout. On WM6.x ROMs we have the tool "g'reloc" or "wmreloc" or "platformrebuilder" to handle this for us. With WP7 ROMs the memory layout is entirely different, so a new tool needs to be developed.

We currently don't yet know how the memory layout looks, i've just been going by CE6 documentation on MSDN. If we're lucky not much has changed in that regard, and we'll be able to create a relocation tool based on that documentation.

Anything that has changed since then will need to be reverse engineered. If that is necessary it probably won't be likely until we can get hands on a device running WP7, inject some native code, and figure out the memory layout and other such goodies.

So, assuming we have those things hammered out (we don't yet), we need to make our current device bootloaders able to load the WP7 OS. This would be accomplished using some ARM assembly trickery. This is where JTAG comes in because there's a high probability of bricking and we will be able to obtain debug output from the process to determine where any failures are occuring (and there will be failures!) - another hurdle with this is that it's looking like there is only one JTAG unit capable of supporting the snapdragon at this moment, and it costs upwards of 4x the original donation drive guesstimate, which is far too expensive for this project. I'm currently researching alternatives. It's looking like I will end up having to go with one of the less expensive "home brew" JTAG models and writing my own Snapdragon support into OpenOCD (the open source debugger platform that the "home brew" JTAGgers use) - that is far from a trivial task and i'm not looking forward to it at all :tongue:

Once that's hammered out, we'll be at a place where the OS itself is loading up. However it is quite likely at that point, some of the drivers will fail to work (hopefully not basic ones such as the kernel, display, etc.) - here we'll have to perform some more trickery to get the drivers functioning properly. One potential problem is that since we will be using our original device's radio.nb, more than likely the protocol the drivers use to communicate with it will be different. This will need to be changed.

Now, all of the above stuff needs to be packaged into a deployment system that's user friendly, and relatively fail-safe (we don't want bricks!)

At that point, it's "done" - not complicated at all, right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

yeah i was going to go for an i7 build, but was told it was an overkill.. plus i had a budget.

what im thinking of next is going with a SSD for bootdrive, velociraptor for games/apps and 1TB caviar black for media/storage.

should last me a year before it all becomes old. maybe i'll do an i7 next time

have you OC'd? reading up on it, trying to learn as much as i can before i give it a try. think you can push an i5 to 3.6mhz
Yeah the i5 is just fine, i built my pc before i5 was even out, also cant go wrong with a SSD or velociraptor, if you do get the velociraptors try to put it on a raid array. Raid 0 for speed.

I've OC'd my i7 before temporary trying to find the highest sweet spot but didnt finish that yet. I got the i7 real early the C0 batch and the D0 batch are supposedly a lot better at overclocking, either way clock speed is just for bragging rights its already pretty fast but most likely I will get it up to a 3.8ghz and 4.ghz if I can find the right voltage settings.

I keep going back and forth. I literally started towards the mall then said nah and turned around. As great of a phone as it is, it's still not offering anything I'm not doing on my TP2 already. Android instead of WM sure, but I'm not having the same freezing problems with mine as other people. So in terms of apps, some sort of media player, wifi sharing, ability to multitask, built in outlook mail, internet synching, flash enabled browsing, Youtube app, well check on all fronts for the 30$ on Sero TP2.

I'm wondering if they are going to come out with the same phone but with a QWERTY keyboard. The HTC Vision appears to be that, but I guess that's going to be on Verizon

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I keep going back and forth. I literally started towards the mall then said nah and turned around. As great of a phone as it is, it's still not offering anything I'm not doing on my TP2 already. Android instead of WM sure, but I'm not having the same freezing problems with mine as other people. So in terms of apps, some sort of media player, wifi sharing, ability to multitask, built in outlook mail, internet synching, flash enabled browsing, Youtube app, well check on all fronts for the 30$ on Sero TP2.

I'm wondering if they are going to come out with the same phone but with a QWERTY keyboard. The HTC Vision appears to be that, but I guess that's going to be on Verizon
I'm hearing another device will be out soon with a physical keyboard. I always say this, technology moves so fast, the EVO will most likely not be the top phone out within a year. It won't be garbage, but don't worry if you miss out on it. Also, Android is pushing manufacturers to get off their behind. And to quote one of leaders of Android, what they bring in the future will "blow your mind." If that's the case, I don't mind waiting on something worthy of moving off of this SERO plan ...

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

T-Mobile will be getting the Vision

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

quick question. if i root will i have to wipe it to factory?

i've had it with my g1 so i'm just gonna root it to 2.1 and see if it gets better while i'm waitin for tmo to come out with something else.
anyone?

I don't know about Android, but both the instructions for jailbreaking an iPhone and flashing a new ROM on a Windows Phone state that you should back up all of your information because your phone will undergo a hard reset.

What do the instructions for rooting say? Is there no easy way to back up your information?

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

I don't know about Android, but both the instructions for jailbreaking an iPhone and flashing a new ROM on a Windows Phone state that you should back up all of your information because your phone will undergo a hard reset.

What do the instructions for rooting say? Is there no easy way to back up your information?
it says it does erase everything.

contacts and such are saved by my google account. but what i need to save are info on some apps like on notepad and only way to do it is if i have it rooted. i guess i can copy and paste it and send it to myself on gmail but thats gonna take a while with the amount of notes i have
laugh.gif

Disregard what I said about Froyo ruining my download speeds. It turns out there is a T-Mobile 3G tower down in Philadelphia.

Back
Top Bottom