Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

Can you download apps directly to the phone?, or will it be a cab. File that you will have to transfer from your computer?

Windows Mobile 7: Fifteen New Details
Posted by Brandon Miniman
August 13th, 2009 at 08:21 AM
We recently got access to some Windows Mobile 7 documentation and provided some early analysis. We've had more time to go through the documentation with a fine-toothed comb, and we have some interesting information to share, plus the screenshot below which shows the general layout of pivoting lists. This is congruent with the leaks of Windows Mobile 7 we saw a long time ago.

We should preface this list by saying that this documentation was highly technical, and some of the following details may make more sense to developers than to end-users. Enjoy =D.

1) SmartSearch is included, which is a system wide search capability. "SmartSearch is a user interface that puts the application into a touch screen-enabled dialing mode and invokes a context-sensitive search based on the Association Engine. Applications can bring SmartSearch to the foreground, selecting which page to display (for example, the Contacts page), and optionally add a contextual data set to the selected page during the Smartsearch session."

2) Camera APIs in Windows Mobile before were very basic. Much like what the iPhone had in version 1. In WM7 it now offers a huge amount of stuff with overlays, video capture, EXIF, etc... So that'll bring developer support to what the iPhone has and maybe even more.

3) The entire OS has been majorly upgraded. This is not Windows Mobile 6 with some interface changes. This is a huge statement in so many ways. Windows Mobile developers have been suck in the late nineties with the APIs available. This finally brings Windows Mobile's core OS up closer to to today.

4) Office Mobile is now upgraded to support SharePoint, better round trip, charts, etc.

5) Multi-touch support is in there.

6) There is no longer a suspend/resume power model. Its always on.

7) Big changes to the SDK. Right now in many ways WM tools are also in the dark ages compared to the iPhone. On the iPhone you can get instruments and CLANG for analyzing my source code - neither of which are even possible on WM today. With this new SDK we get some of that. Very nice.

8 ) Smart Card support removed.

9) Association Engine. This is really cool. Imagine that you're looking at a contact. Now you can say "Call this contact" in code and it will just do the right thing. Or "View Call history". But here is the cool part - it's completely extensible. So you can create a verb and association and any app can use it. This will allow extremely powerful applications. in fact, its a lot like Apple Script on the Mac, but only within the apps.

10) The menu system is completely redone.

11) Cron jobs. You can now set task scheduling.

12) Pocket Outlook Object Model (POOM) now supports multiple folders - i.e. right now you only can have one Contacts folder. In WM7 you can have many. Same for calendars, tasks. You can also have multiple data stores.

13) POOM now handles Mail and note items. That seems to indicate that Notes are now a data store and not just files.

14) Menus are totally redone. Again.

15) Built-in XML - finally.

wm7.jpg

What you need to know about WinMo 6.5 and the path to Windows Mobile 7

It pretty much goes without saying that a lot of us are (or already have) plan on dropping several hundred dollars later this summer and fall on the latestWindows phone, be it from Samsung, HTC, whomever.

But before you shell out your hard-earned cash and wait patiently for the release of Windows Mobile 6.5, a word of warning. Big things are afoot with WindowsMobile 7, and the two may not play nicely together.

thumb_450_cashmere-on-roadmap.jpg

We've written numerous times that Windows Mobile 6.5 is more of a reskinning of WM6.0 than anything else, and we still expect that to be true. WM6.0, 6.1and 6.5 are all built on the same version of WinCE.

Things will change with Windows Mobile 7. We've learned that WM7 will be based on WinCE 7, codenamed Chelan. Because of that, don't expect olderdevices won't be able to run Windows Mobile 7.

We repeat: A phone you buy now likely won't be able to run Windows Mobile 7. We'll be repeating this over and over in the coming weeks, so don'tcome crying to us next year.

What else have we learned? There is, in fact, an interim build. (And judging by the leaked builds we've seen since WM6.5 went gold, that's fairlyobvious.) Windows Mobile 6.51 should be finished before the holiday rush. We've heard it'll be available for the AT&T version of the Touch Pro 2,but no telling if that's exclusive (and the folks at XDA Developers likely will make any exclusivity a moot point anyway).

So what will run Windows Mobile 7? To answer that, we have to look to the future. First off, phones that have the Qualcomm 8xxx series processors - that'dbe Snapdragon - are expected to be upgradable to Windows Mobile 7. Current phones using Qualcomm 7200 or 7600 series processors won't. That's also inline with the rumored specs we'd seen earlier.

HTC FirestoneOne phone we're pretty sure will meet that criteria is the HTC Firestone (also known as the Star). Another that we're hearing about is theSuperstar, which is said to be the Firestone (seen here at right) with a keyboard. So, basically, we're probably looking at the next generation of theTouch Diamond and Touch Pro family.

So what to take away from all this? First and foremost, this is all totally unofficial stuff, and anything can happen. But the technical material makes sense.Second, we all need to prepare ourselves for not being able to upgrade most Windows Mobile 6.x phones to WM7.

Does that mean you should wait to buy a new phone? Well, that's totally a personal decision. It's probably a safe bet that while we may see WindowsMobile 7 announced early in 2010, it'd probably be this time next year before we get it on any devices. So Windows Mobile 6.5 should have a good bit ofshelf life. We plan on making the most of it.

thumb_tall_htcFirestone.png

6.5 is better than 6.1 IMO by far. I hated TF3D on 6.1, @+%% doesn't even work in landscape when you open the keyboard, which is obviously a huge part ofhaving the phone is to be able to have the keyboard. As for ROMS, I'm using Energy's. For some reason though, my text/mail app hasn't worked oneither of my last 2 phones. I get them in just fine, but when I double click to open them it brings up the hourglass like it's doing something, then thehourglass goes away and the message turns unbold as if I did open it, but I didn/t

to anyone with email problems go to www.seven.com and download their email application for windows mobile... its waay better then just the simple pop/imapprogram... and you get your emails instantaneously instead of every 5 or 10 minutes... it also syncs your contacts and calender with your emails instantlyinstead of once a day like myphone

Originally Posted by DatzToothLess

What's a hard reset?

[h4]Hard Reset[/h4]Similar to a soft reset, by performing a hard reset you completely wipe your device and restore it to the position it was in when you firstturned the device on after it was purchased or after a new ROM is flashed

They say to do it after you put a new ROM on so it completely wipes out any bits and pieces that could possibly be left over from the old ROM.

Questionable Authenticity of New HTC Leo Renders
Posted by Chuong Nguyen
August 14th, 2009 at 12:05 PM
The latest renderings, which have been dubbed official photographs from Ai.rs, raise some questions as to whether those renderings are authentic. Gizmodo points out that the back of the latest renderings of the HTC Leo, posted below, shows a new back plate. The back plate bears the marking "Touch Pro Three," which doesn't fall in line with HTC's product branding. Pro devices usually have slide out keyboards, as evidence by the Touch Pro and Touch Pro2. Moreover, in terms of model number, HTC just uses the number and doesn't spell it out, raising yet another red flag.

To add to our doubts, right underneath the Touch Pro Three model branding is generic dummy copy text that read "lorem ipsum"--which essentially yells fake in our minds.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when HTC unveils the handset what it will actually look like.

504x_leono.jpg

HTC Looks to Boost Q4 2009 Shipments by 19% 0.0By Cassandra Turner August 17, 2009 05:24 PM It looks like we may see the HTC Mega andHTC Click as early as next month, with small price tags and high hopes from HTC for selling a massive amount of units. With the HTC Mega on Windows Mobile andthe HTC Click as a budget-priced Android phone, they may well meet sales expectations with the forecasted 19% growth in shipments for the fourth quarter ofthis year. The HTC Click should come with a $300 price tag without a 2-year contract and is expected to be released in North America and possibly China. Moredetails as they are released. The HTC Mega will feature WinMo 6.5, GPS, a 3MP camera, and a small 2.8-inch QVGA display. This will be an exciting last half of2009 to watch, as HTC reaches out to phone consumers with smaller budgets. It is nice to see that they are spreading the wealth with some very nice features onthe mid-end HTC phones soon to be released into the market.
th_a3f84ba1ea3ee6fe36a174f819ac_182x136.jpg

T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 for $149!
Posted by Adam Z Lein
Tuesday, August 18th at 01:18 PM

A lot of people were complaining about the $350 price for a T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 with a new 2 year contrat. Not to worry though, now you can get it for $149!

The discount is available from WMdeals.com. All you have to do is call 866-464-8662, press option 3 for new service, and mention promo code "Windows Mobile" when ordering. This offer is only valid via the 800# provided through August 31st, 2009. After August 31st, you can still get a discount that brings the price down to $199.

Don't forget to check out our full review on the T-Mobile Touch Pro 2.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 for $149!
Posted by Adam Z Lein
Tuesday, August 18th at 01:18 PM

A lot of people were complaining about the $350 price for a T-Mobile Touch Pro 2 with a new 2 year contrat. Not to worry though, now you can get it for $149!

The discount is available from WMdeals.com. All you have to do is call 866-464-8662, press option 3 for new service, and mention promo code "Windows Mobile" when ordering. This offer is only valid via the 800# provided through August 31st, 2009. After August 31st, you can still get a discount that brings the price down to $199.

Don't forget to check out our full review on the T-Mobile Touch Pro 2.

So that's only for new service and not an upgrade right?

It looks like it's only for new contracts, but i would call to make sure.

I'm guessing the trade in is only for Sprint? But idk how it works, I would assume they would still do it unless it was a one time thing.

[h2]http://www.tmonews.com/2009/08/click-for-the-holidays/[/h2]
[h2]Click For The Holidays[/h2]
Posted by Andrew On August - 18 - 2009

htc-click-android.jpg

I don't know about you, but when I hear HTC I think about high end, most likely Windows Mobile

grey_loader.gif

, phones. Well, as we have heard before, HTC is planning to attack the midrange handset audience this year with the HTC Click. HTC is really hoping (warning, financial mumbo jumbo to follow) to increase its revenues 11% and its shipments 19% in the latter half of this year (late Q3 or Q4) by releasing the low end Android device and some Windows Mobile device for another carrier (unimportant). Little is known about the extremely pocketable device, except for its full retail price of around $300, but I would say its bound to be similar to that windows mobile device, which has a 2.8-inch QVGA (240×320) touchscreen display, a 3 megapixel camera, GPS and a 528 MHz processor. What do you think about a holiday season full of Clicks? Let us know in the comments!

Originally Posted by jbeezie

cant stand windows phones...ugh.

android > wm.
Thats EXACTLY the reason i went with the MyTouch 3G over Touch Pro 2. WM is a terrible operating software.

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

Originally Posted by jbeezie

cant stand windows phones...ugh.

android > wm.
Thats EXACTLY the reason i went with the MyTouch 3G over Touch Pro 2. WM is a terrible operating software.

Me too. What kind of apps have you added so far?

is there a flash out for the android on the tp2? and did we ever sort if the app store will work with the flash?

I don't think there is a flash out yet. But the app store didn't work with the Tilt and I dont think it will work with the TP2

I don't think there is a flash out yet. But the app store didn't work with the Tilt and I dont think it will work with the TP2

Yo this might be a dumb question. But what does it mean to flash it?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by GhostWriter

Yo this might be a dumb question. But what does it mean to flash it?
nerd.gif
Flashing pretty much means to reprogram the ROM.

What are the benefits of flashing a new rom?
Flashing a New Rom basically gets rid of all the bloatware thats included on Stock Roms and Flashes a Clean, Optimized, Fully loaded Rom that will squeeze every ounce of speed and stability from your phone. Chefs usually include all the programs you are ever likely to need and because the Rom has been cleaned out you are left with more memory to play around with.

AT&T Kills Lancaster Android Phone Launch; Touch Pro2 and Diamond2 Coming in October!
Posted by Chuong Nguyen
Wednesday, August 19th at 12:47 AM

The Lancaster--made by HTC--would be AT&T's first Android handset, but it looks like the carrier is killing the Lancaster and I don't think many tears will be shed with its less than stellar entry-level specs at QVGA. The good news? Well, the Lancaster's ashes, a phoenix does rise in the form of the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2.

The Windows Phones will be launching in October, which falls in line with AT&T's launch prior launch dates for the TyTN II (rebranded Tilt) and the Touch Pro (branded the Fuze). The Touch Pro2 is said to be called the Tilt2 for AT&T to follow the Tilt branding convention with the tilting screen.

The Diamond2 will be AT&T's first Windows Mobile device from the keyboard-less Diamond series from HTC, a surprising move since the carrier has resisted the form since it competed with the flagship iPhone.

htc-lancaster-dead.jpg

Back
Top Bottom