Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

So I got my Tilt 2 (TP2) today. Loving it so far but my only complaint is thatit's saying 80% of my ROM is being used but I don't have anything running. What's the deal with that!?

**Edit** I also can't figure out how to add more options to the homescreen. The only 2 things that show are call history and calendar...

[h1]Android 2.0 finally shows its stuff; will Windows Mobile keep up?[/h1]
8 comments »

Posted on Tuesday, Oct 27, 2009 by Phil Nickinson

Filed Under: Editorials; Tags: wm7, wm65, windows mobile 7, windows mobile 6.5, android

Ballmer%20Andoid%20iPhone.png

Way back when (erm, all the way back in August), a report surfaced in Digitimes stating that Microsoft's plan was to take on Android with Windows Mobile 6.5, and hit at the iPhone with Windows Mobile 7.

If indeed that is true, let's all hope that strategy is being revamped, especially now that we've gotten a glimpse of Android 2.0. Details after the break.

Android 2.0 has been unleashed, and it's a looker. The bullet points, as cribbed from our pals at AndroidCentral:
  • Native Microsoft Exchange Support (hooray for business users!)
  • Integrated Facebook, Facebook friends syncs to your contacts
  • Improved Browser (double-tap to zoom, speeds similar to iPhone 3GS)
  • Updated Maps includes support for Layers
  • Unified E-Mail Inbox
  • New YouTube widget for superfast uploads
  • 'Car Home' application that gives big and bright icons for features used while driving
  • A lot of voice control
But the proof is in the pudding. Peep the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/v/opZ69P-0Jbc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1http://www.youtube.com/v/opZ69P-0Jbc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1http://www.youtube.com/v/opZ69P-0Jbc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1http://www.youtube.com/v/opZ69P-0Jbc&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1

We really hope it never was Microsoft's intention to "go after" (our words) Android with an operating system announced some 10 months ago now. That's not a strategy. It's a reaction. And as Android gains more traction -- and thus more mindshare -- in the mobile space, Microsoft (and any OS-maker, for that matter) can't be throwing just any old OS at it.

The fact is that no one mobile platform will "win." And in any event, it's too much to ask anyone to force the same sort of success Apple has had.

Microsoft is going to have to work on services for the customer -- Zune integration, better e-mail and contact integration, and better Marketplace functionality -- and better incentives for Enterprise.

Everybody and their mother has Exchange support now. Hell, the Palm Pre supports multiple Exchange accounts, and we've seen rumors that Android 2.0 will, too. So, saying it's better for business just isn't enough. And as the New York Times points out, Android's open-source, license-free nature is making it more attractive to manufacturers. And don't even get us started on rolling out updates in a timely manner.

Maybe Windows Mobile 7 will take care of things. Maybe it won't. The problem right now is that nobody knows, and you can only analyze what's in front of you. And, so, we spend a few more months in the dessert. Question is, will anybody be waiting for us on the other side?

Yeah, I notice the TP2 running high on RAM usage, but it doesn't seem any slower than my Touch Pro that's usually around 50%. Their are some .cabs outthere that free up a lot of RAM and other .cabs w/ a lot of tweaks to make it run faster, but I'm not sure how much they actually improve the device.We're better off waiting for a custom ROM.

**Edit** I also can't figure out how to add more options to the home screen. The only 2 things that show are call history and calendar...

Start > Settings > Today > Items

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

They're done with it now, but it seems like they're going to try to charge for it because they say the hold up is a licensing server

Really? I thought they were just considering charging to unlock your SIM? Still, custom ROMs > * so I'd pay.
SIM unlocking and CID/Security unlocking are not the same. CID unlocking is all that is required to flash custom roms and flashing the HardSPLtakes care of that. However, if you want to flash a different radio on your phone or use a another carriers sim card then you need to have your phone SIMunlocked. Some SIM unlockers also perform a CID unlocker as well.

CID unlocking = free
SIM unlocking = $$$ (got mine unlocked for $18)

[qoute]SIM unlocking and CID/Security unlocking are not the same. CID unlocking is all that is required to flash custom roms and flashing the HardSPL takescare of that. However, if you want to flash a different radio on your phone or use a another carriers sim card then you need to have your phone SIM unlocked.Some SIM unlockers also perform a CID unlocker as well.

CID unlocking = free
SIM unlocking = $$$ (got mine unlocked for $18)[/quote]

I understand the difference.

From what I understand from that post I quoted, it seems like this group is actually willing to unlock the average user's SIM for free. They're goingto charge companies that are looking to unlock multiple phones.

I don't need the SIM unlock, just the HArdSPL for CID unlock so I can flash roms. I never had a problem with radio, in fact I was literally getting as highas 180kb/sec downloading some stuff when I was on wifirouter to my laptop here in Oklahoma, which is only 3g still.

Originally Posted by snaggykicks

i just got the hero lovin it but will it be able to support an upgrade to 2.0

Yes most devices running Android will get the 2.0 update. One additional added to 2.0 is turn by turn navigation in Google Maps

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

Is the HD2 coming to AT&T or just T-mobile?
Don't worry about it. U have ur beloved iPhone Mr.AT&T guy.
laugh.gif

j/k But I heard just Tmo which would be a good look for them

Man, I'm tryna cop a TP2 thru the swap out for the TP1, but Sprint is giving me the run around because I have SERO....anyone got any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif

So far it looks like it's gonna be an T-Mobile exclusive.
I wish it would come to AT&T.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

laugh.gif

So far it looks like it's gonna be an T-Mobile exclusive.
I wish it would come to AT&T.
I hope so...I've skipped out on so many phones just that and i dont even want an iPhone anymore.
tired.gif
I still have a BB pearl
smh.gif

Android is changing almost everyday. But what is cool about Android is that while the
OS changes, your phone doesn't.
pimp.gif

Im telling you right now in the next 2 years Android will have about 30-40% of Smartphone's market share. Apple is gonna lose for 1 simple reason, their OSis restricted to only Apple phones. Android 2.0 seems like the OS to beat right now.

FREE turn by turn Google Maps Navigation is groundbreaking... so much soo it dropped Garmin & TomTom's stock significantly when news came outyesterday.

Will the HD2 be coming out for Sprint?

If not, what is the next HTC to drop on the now network and when and how much?

If there's a flash for Android 2.0 for the touch pro 2 I'm on it w/o hesitation. Android doin big things. Just wish they had better handsets

Back
Top Bottom