Official HTC Thread Vol. Scribe, Thunderbolt 4G, Evo Shift 4G, Inspire 4G for AT&T

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by airforce416

Really MS? This has me moving closer to android. I'm just waiting on the Diamond 3 and to see what developers can do with the WP7 OS.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Windows Phone 7 Series Won't Support Replaceable Batteries[/h1]
File under: News

By: Adam Z Lein | Date: 1-Apr-10 | 7 Comments

img15_small1.jpg

As you already know, Microsoft has taken a few cues from the Apple iPhone playback when it comes to the new Windows Phone 7 Series devices. Removable memory cards are no longer supported, for one. In an effort to take more responsibility for Windows Phones as an experience, Microsoft is insisting on playing a very strong role in hardware development. The latest news is that user-replacable batteries will no longer be allowed on Windows Phone 7 Series devices. The move is intended to promote clean and attractive hardware designs which are sure to impress. Nobody wants to see an ugly battery cover latch on a phone running something as beautiful as the Windows Phone 7 Series OS.

indifferent.gif
smh.gif
1 step forward 2 steps back
Seriously all these things that they criticized the iPhone for, they now have.......smh
indifferent.gif

Damn Yuku! I had a reply typed out, but forgot to copy it before hitting Quick Reply and wound up losing it all when I was logged out
frown.gif

Removable media: I'm not sure that we're going to have the same access to storage that we were used to having so I'm not sure this makes much of a difference. My guess is that having removable storage might contribute to instability. If WP7S is going to run as smoothly as the iPhone, I'm okay with it. I just don't want to have to spend $100 for an extra 8GB of storage the way I do with the iPhone. I wonder if Microsoft is going to get their hardware partners to create two or three versions of the same device like Apple does?

Multitasking:

It looks like they're giving up true multitasking for the ability to do multiple tasks in one hub. That's still a step ahead of Apple (unless Apple really allows multitasking w/ an Expose-like interface), but not exactly what we're used to. I'll miss being able to stream music/radio in the background the most (unless they give Pandora, Slacker, and other programs like that access). I'll deal with not being able to switch between open applications if the OS is stable and quick. Quick access to recently used apps would be helpful.

Replaceable batteries: Think Touch Pro. That was a $200-$350 device with the battery cover of a McDonald's toy. Other than the media player, what I am most envious about in the iPhone is its hardware. It's solid, but still light. I haven't used or even held an Imagio, Nexus One, or HD2 so I don't know how they compare. My argument isn't valid if they're better or equal to the iPhone.

Build quality aside, extra chargers are only $3-$7 on eBay. Those battery extension/recharging packs are $30-80. Whichever way you go, the cost isn't much different than buying a spare battery.

If Microsoft and HTC are able to give me an iPhone-like experience when it comes to hardware and speed and stability of the OS with Zune media player and many of the features I like on my current WP devices, I'm sold even with these changes.

Just in....

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Windows Phone 7 Series To Be Open Source[/h1]

By: Daniel Webster | Date: 1-Apr-10 | 1 Comments

WP7S.PNG

Microsoft announced today that its newest mobile operating system Windows Phone 7 Series will be open source. The announcement came early this morning out of Redmond stating that developers will be able to create their own programs starting the official launch of the new operating system starting in late October.

Steve Ballmer explained that, “With so many social networks now having such a grip on the mobile community it only makes sense that we allow third party developers free range over our newest mobile platform. The Zune HD was an experiment to see how future endeavors would increase the profitability of Microsoft’s mobile market. Games, application, and utilities already in the works for the Zune HD will be completely portable to the Windows Phone 7 Series line of products.

Windows 7 Phone Series is starting to annoy me, Microsoft is basically just copying all the features from the competition and the Zune HD.
Interface- Zune
Open-source- Android
Specific hardware, Non removable battery/memory- Apple.

So much for reinventing the wheel

Windows 7 Phone Series is starting to annoy me, Microsoft is basically just copying all the features from the competition and the Zune HD.
Interface- Zune
Open-source- Android

has windows mobile not been an open source platform? 

Is the zune interface not their own creation?

As for the battery/memory thing you're right, their reasoning is that they don't want ugly components to hinder the feel of the device so that's about all they copied.

If having a removable battery cover and multiple cards for data is so important then there's always 6.5.3 and getting cooked roms.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Originally Posted by Stay Lurkin

Sounds to me like this HD2 isn't quite cutting it
nerd.gif
It has it's problems like any other new phone on the market, I got it on release date, first batch I assume so I know what I was getting into. The main reason why I'm still keep it is 4.3' screen, WP7 this fall and dual boots (Android).
I'm in the phase of getting a new phone. Ive read multiple times thats HD2 will not be able to support WP7 (not sure if this is true would like some clarification) . Also more information on dual booting. 

[h1]Apple's HTC Complaint Is Officially Moving Forward[/h1]
500x_htc-apple-lawsuit.jpg
The ITC has agreed to investigate Apple's complaint against HTC. It'll be a long process, and this in no way indicates how the ITC might eventually rule, but an Apple victory could mean a US ban of HTC phones.

The suit is a sweeping accusation of patent theft, and a ruling against HTC would likely have broader implications on the rest of the industry as well. Within 45 days, the ITC will set a target date for when the investigation will be complete—and for a case of this magnitude, that would likely be months from now. Any actionable ruling would have to be implemented within 60 days of that ruling.

A large-scale ban would have to be implemented by the courts, and is probably unlikely. If it does happen, though, they'll have to pry the Evo 4G out of my cold, dead hands.
USITC INSTITUTES SECTION 337 INVESTIGATION ON CERTAIN PERSONAL DATA AND MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS DEVICES AND RELATED SOFTWARE

The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) has voted to institute an investigation of certain personal data and mobile communications devices and related software. The products at issue in this investigation relate to hardware and software used in mobile communication devices, including but not limited to cellular phones and smartphones.

The investigation is based on a complaint filed by Apple Inc., f/k/a Apple Computer, Inc. and NeXt Software, Inc. f/k/a NeXt Computer, Inc., both of Cupertino, CA, on March 2, 2010. The complaint alleges violations of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 in the importation into the United States and sale of certain personal data and mobile communications devices and related software that infringe patents asserted by the complainants. The complainants request that the USITC issue an exclusion order and a cease and desist order.

The USITC has identified the following as respondents in this investigation:

High Tech Computer Corp. a/k/a HTC Corp. of Taiwan;
HTC America, Inc., of Bellevue, WA; and
Exedea, Inc., of Houston, TX.

By instituting this investigation (337-TA-710), the USITC has not yet made any decision on the merits of the case. The USITC's Chief Administrative Law Judge will assign the case to one of the USITC's six administrative law judges (ALJ), who will schedule and hold an evidentiary hearing. The ALJ will make an initial determination as to whether there is a violation of section 337; that initial determination is subject to review by the Commission.

The USITC will make a final determination in the investigation at the earliest practicable time. Within 45 days after institution of the investigation, the USITC will set a target date for completing the investigation. USITC remedial orders in section 337 cases are effective when issued and become final 60 days after issuance unless disapproved for policy reasons by the U.S. Trade Representative within that 60-day period.

[ITC via Electronista]

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Interface- Zune
Open-source- Android

As for the battery/memory thing you're right, their reasoning is that they don't want ugly components to hinder the feel of the device so that's about all they copied.

If having a removable battery cover and multiple cards for data is so important then there's always 6.5.3 and getting cooked roms.
Yea, it's always been open source. I don't know what dude's talkin bout
laugh.gif
Android actually copied that from WinMo. If it wasn't open source then XDA wouldn't exist

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Interface- Zune
Open-source- Android

Yea, it's always been open source. I don't know what dude's talkin bout
laugh.gif
Android actually copied that from WinMo. If it wasn't open source then XDA wouldn't exist
The Zune HD software is integrated, people did want a Zune phone.

The ITC has agreed to investigate Apple's complaint against HTC. It'll be a long process, and this in no way indicates how the ITC might eventually rule, but an Apple victory could mean a US ban of HTC phones.

The suit is a sweeping accusation of patent theft, and a ruling against HTC would likely have broader implications on the rest of the industry as well. Within 45 days, the ITC will set a target date for when the investigation will be complete—and for a case of this magnitude, that would likely be months from now. Any actionable ruling would have to be implemented within 60 days of that ruling.

A large-scale ban would have to be implemented by the courts, and is probably unlikely. If it does happen, though, they'll have to pry the Evo 4G out of my cold, dead hands.
USITC INSTITUTES SECTION 337 INVESTIGATION ON CERTAIN PERSONAL DATA AND MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS DEVICES AND RELATED SOFTWARE

The U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC) has voted to institute an investigation of certain personal data and mobile communications devices and related software. The products at issue in this investigation relate to hardware and software used in mobile communication devices, including but not limited to cellular phones and smartphones.

The investigation is based on a complaint filed by Apple Inc., f/k/a Apple Computer, Inc. and NeXt Software, Inc. f/k/a NeXt Computer, Inc., both of Cupertino, CA, on March 2, 2010. The complaint alleges violations of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 in the importation into the United States and sale of certain personal data and mobile communications devices and related software that infringe patents asserted by the complainants. The complainants request that the USITC issue an exclusion order and a cease and desist order.

By instituting this investigation (337-TA-710), the USITC has not yet made any decision on the merits of the case. The USITC's Chief Administrative Law Judge will assign the case to one of the USITC's six administrative law judges (ALJ), who will schedule and hold an evidentiary hearing. The ALJ will make an initial determination as to whether there is a violation of section 337; that initial determination is subject to review by the Commission.

The USITC will make a final determination in the investigation at the earliest practicable time. Within 45 days after institution of the investigation, the USITC will set a target date for completing the investigation. USITC remedial orders in section 337 cases are effective when issued and become final 60 days after issuance unless disapproved for policy reasons by the U.S. Trade Representative within that 60-day period.

[ITC via Electronista]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I HATE APPLE ... I HAVE SOME OF THEIR PRODUCTS BUT I REALLY DO HATE THEM 

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

nerd.gif
It has it's problems like any other new phone on the market, I got it on release date, first batch I assume so I know what I was getting into. The main reason why I'm still keep it is 4.3' screen, WP7 this fall and dual boots (Android).
I'm in the phase of getting a new phone. Ive read multiple times thats HD2 will not be able to support WP7 (not sure if this is true would like some clarification) . Also more information on dual booting. 

htcpedia members have ported WM7 onto the HD2 and i believe everything is working besides a drive that they are working on. it's not an official port, but they are saying it's stable. and xda have been able to dual boot windows and android on some WM phones. it's basically just a waiting game now. im going to wait for the evo 4G because i dont get good coverage with tmobile and with 4G coming out in LA this year.. i'd be dumb not to get it.

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

[ITC via Electronista]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I HATE APPLE ... I HAVE SOME OF THEIR PRODUCTS BUT I REALLY DO HATE THEM 

If a company does infringe on a patent they should be penalized but for HTC to be banned in the US, don't even want to think about it
frown.gif
Actually from what  I heard unlocked phones from a Canadian service do work on AT&T's 3G network but buying a unlocked phone
tired.gif
. This case could go on for years. Someone on engadget made a comment about how Google should just buy HTC, which would be really interesting if it did happen. People are saying that Google should also buy Palm since the company is failing. If both of them were bought
eek.gif

webos x android = the one to rule them all.

webOS is easily the best OS, but if it had android's support it would be
pimp.gif
x1000

also, i dont think google can buy HTC.. i read somewhere that they can partner up tho.. which is good enough. apple are just a bunch of vaginas scared of competition, they are showing their true colors.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by YouMadYouBad

nerd.gif

htcpedia members have ported WM7 onto the HD2 and i believe everything is working besides a drive that they are working on. it's not an official port, but they are saying it's stable. and xda have been able to dual boot windows and android on some WM phones. it's basically just a waiting game now. im going to wait for the evo 4G because i dont get good coverage with tmobile and with 4G coming out in LA this year.. i'd be dumb not to get it.
I forgot to change the title, it was ported but it was the WP7 emulator being ran and using remote desktop. And also they got the BB OS, Windows 95 and Linux Ubuntu running on a WM device, I believe the Ubuntu was on a Sony Xperia.

pimp.gif
x1000

also, i dont think google can buy HTC.. i read somewhere that they can partner up tho.. which is good enough. apple are just a bunch of vaginas scared of competition, they are showing their true colors.
I haven't used webOS nor looked too much into it but I have heard good things. I would like to see other and better Palm phones than what's out now. Partners would be good but really as long as HTC phones aren't banned in the US I'll be fine. Any reason to why Google wouldn't be able to buy HTC?

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

[ITC via Electronista]

If a company does infringe on a patent they should be penalized Of course but what does that say about the suit against Apple? Apple forgot all about them....No I'm wrong, they sued Nokia sayin they [Nokia] stole from them [Apple] Which in turn that suit pointed out extra patents Apple infringed on.  Apple is showin their true colors

pimp.gif
x1000

I haven't used webOS nor looked too much into it but I have heard good things. I would like to see other and better Palm phones than what's out now. Partners would be good but really as long as HTC phones aren't banned in the US I'll be fine. Any reason to why Google wouldn't be able to buy HTC?

im not 100% sure to be honest, somebody posted a link in a site but i didn't bother to read it. but i don't see why HTC would want to sell their company.. they do well in other parts of the world. a partnership would make more sense. IMO at least

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

Check your sources. Articles are April Fools jokes.

Which articles?
No replaceable batteries is one of them. After sifting through the ocean that is ipad news on Gizmodo (
indifferent.gif
) I found the battery article was a pocketnow april fools joke.

[h1]HTC Breaks Ground on New Headquarters[/h1]

By: Brandon Miniman | Date: 2-Apr-10 | 2 Comments

building.jpg

HTC is building a new headquarters in Taiwan, and today is the ground-breaking ceremony.

The HTC Taipei Headquarters building is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011 with a total floor space of 25,900 pings, 17 floors on the ground and five floors under the ground, among them 11 will be taken by research and development team. The building will be able to accommodate up to 2,200 employees. To create a pleasant and healthy work environment for employees there will be one floor reserved as multi-functional space for a cafeteria, gym, and relaxation area.

Like the handsets that they make, the new building has a sleek design without being too flashy (quietly brilliant, anyone?).

[h1]WiFi Tools for Android [/h1]

By: Joe Levi | Date: 3-Apr-10 | 0 Comments

android-wifi.jpg

Most Android devices are capable of connecting to networks and the Internet over WiFi. With higher throughputs and lower latencies WiFi is generally faster than even 3G speeds.

WiFi comes in a few different flavors, 802.11 A, B, G, and N. 802.11a didn’t stick around long and was primarily used by enterprise customers for wireless networking on corporate campuses. 802.11b was the “residential

Damn......they have a promotion for NON-corporate locations where you can trade in your iphone (thats being used for tmobile) and get between $100-$350 towards an HD2...........i wonder how many people are gonna do that.

Back
Top Bottom