Official Jazz thread

Rebirth Brass Band - Do Whatcha Wanna

Some of you might recognize the melody of this song...

Red Garland Trio with Coleman Hawkins - Red Beans & Rice
I'm not sure Red garners the same type of attention & Pub as other piano players from the golden age of bebop but he's as solid as a good plate of well...red beans & rice wit' some hot sauce...

Thanks for this. Really enjoyed that track, shame I'm just now hearing of him.

Red Garland Trio with John Coltrane - Bass Blues

Here's another Red tune this time with Coltrane. I posted another song from this album called Traneing In a few pages back but it might've gotten lost when during the NT transition...

Last edited:
Louis Prima - Buona Sera

If we're posting easy listenin tunes like Moon River, Imma have to post Nawlin's own Louis Prima!!! His early tunes like a good bowl of gumbo mixed a lot of musical styles. Sorry for the many Nawlins references...I had an uncle that lived there & I spent some summers there as child...Lots of good memories...Also looking forward to the new season of HBO's Treme...

Just googled Treme. Never heard of that show until now, sounds pretty interesting. And it has Lucia Micarelli in it. Interest to see how good of an actress she is, she's a great violinist.

Just googled Treme. Never heard of that show until now, sounds pretty interesting. And it has Lucia Micarelli in it. Interest to see how good of an actress she is, she's a great violinist.

She's a pretty good actress. I was very impressed with her acting ability. The show was created & co-written by David Simon (Homicide : Life On The Street, The Corner, & The Wire fame)...

It's always interesting to see what musicians listen to themselves. Here's the Christian Scott Quintet talking about what they like back in 2010...

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

Dude talking about Shorter's Soothsayer album made me think of this tune...One of my favorites. This song just swings...

Red Garland's always been 
pimp.gif
 in my book.

Anyway... I love bustin' this out every once in a while...

Just picked up Luciana Souza's two new releases. I had no idea she had new releases coming up much less two albums, Duos III & The Book Of Chet. She's one of the most beautiful singers out there. Love that she records mostly live...Enjoy...

SinnerP, Wes-
You guys should really like her as she comes from a bossa nova backround. Wes should especially like the album of Chet Baker covers. Below is the great video explaining the releases & a link to an NPR interview...

Last edited:
I see Diana Krall is coming out with a new album next month. Haven't heard any of the tracks yet but the cover caught my eye.

Last edited:
I'm only 3 songs into The Book of Chet and I can already tell that this is one of my favorite albums this year.
I'm buying it if i have enough time today or tomorrow.

DJ Spinna put out a nice mixtape of singer Jose James recently concentrating more on his earlier work. There's also some new stuff from his upcoming Blue Note release. This guy's timbre reminds me so much of Johnny Hartman...Soundcloud link below. Hope someone enjoys...

Wow, that look for Diana!  Didn't know she had it in her!

Stacey Kent again... 

Branford Marsalis & his quartet played a live set on NPR's JazzSet. His new release Four MFs Playin' is a great album. Brandford is at the top of his powers...Here's the link to the NPR post with the live set...Apprecier

Cliff Jordan - Blue Shoes

Haven't listened to Jordan in a while so it was nice when scuffle mode played this song...

Cliff Jordan - Let It Stand

The previous song made me find this one. Jordan assembled a nice group for this recording -

Cliff Jordan (s)
John Gilmore (s)
Horace Silver (p)
Curly Russell (b)
Art Blakey (d)

Cliff Jordan - John Coltrane

Another gem from Jordan, a tribute to John Coltrane. This album (Glass Bead Game) is an underrated master piece. Jordan used several groups of musicians for this record. This song was co-written by Spike Lee's dad Bill Lee who played the bass on here beautifully. This is one of those albums like A Love Supreme & Kind Of Blue that you have to listen to from beginning to end.

John Coltrane - Little Melonae

I love Coltrane's quartet with Jimmy Garrison (b), McCoy Tyner (p), & the great Elvin Jones (d), but his work with Red Garland Trio is so damn smooth. They make playing music sound effortless....

Back
Top Bottom