Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

http://frontrow.espn.go.c...up-statement-and-action/

Follow-up statement and action

At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.
Saturday we apologized for two references here. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:
  • The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
  • The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
  • The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.
We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.

http://frontrow.espn.go.c...up-statement-and-action/

Follow-up statement and action

At ESPN we are aware of three offensive and inappropriate comments made on ESPN outlets during our coverage of Jeremy Lin.
Saturday we apologized for two references here. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:
  • The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.
  • The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.
  • The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.
We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin. His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.

^ I'm good with those 3 bullet points. I assume the 30 day suspension is without pay, and for me, that hurts enough considering the fact that it was most likely an impulsive error in judgment (whereas the headline was far more thought out and executed, and being fired is absolutely fitting).

^ I'm good with those 3 bullet points. I assume the 30 day suspension is without pay, and for me, that hurts enough considering the fact that it was most likely an impulsive error in judgment (whereas the headline was far more thought out and executed, and being fired is absolutely fitting).

[h4]ESPN Statement On Lin Comments[/h4]

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

[h4]ESPN Statement On Lin Comments[/h4]

Saturday we apologized for two references. We have since learned of a similar reference Friday on ESPN Radio New York. The incidents were separate and different. We have engaged in a thorough review of all three and have taken the following action:

• The ESPN employee responsible for our Mobile headline has been dismissed.

• The ESPNEWS anchor has been suspended for 30 days.

• The radio commentator is not an ESPN employee.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

its ok i guess... and probably is with pay. even if not and not saying its in the same severity, it reminds me of the crooked cop who dos bad and no one in which he works at dont say anything or is apathetic untill there is uproar. then its oh yea we are/were sorry and he isnt a representive of all of us and he will be serverly punished, we will give him a punishment and not only that we will pay him and he keeps his job.

its ok i guess... and probably is with pay. even if not and not saying its in the same severity, it reminds me of the crooked cop who dos bad and no one in which he works at dont say anything or is apathetic untill there is uproar. then its oh yea we are/were sorry and he isnt a representive of all of us and he will be serverly punished, we will give him a punishment and not only that we will pay him and he keeps his job.

[table][tr][td]
Registered Member

02/14/12 1:30 PM
[/td][td]
JPZx wrote:
Official Jeremy Lin Thread. (1,2,3,75,76,77)

It's never off the first page.

laugh.gif

[/td][/tr][/table]

roll.gif

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Originally Posted by amel223

Call me naive but I try to think people have better things to do but to insult people based on race all day. 
you're naive.
That's cool by me I want to think better of people you don't that's ok too everybody has their own beliefs.
I'm not going overboard and calling this the most racist thing ever. But.. I think the problem most are having with this headline is that it should have never made it through the editorial process at espn.com. No need to argue malicious intent.. espn should just know better.

Call me naive but I try to think people have better things to do but to insult people based on race all day. 
you're naive.
That's cool by me I want to think better of people you don't that's ok too everybody has their own beliefs.
I'm not going overboard and calling this the most racist thing ever. But.. I think the problem most are having with this headline is that it should have never made it through the editorial process at espn.com. No need to argue malicious intent.. espn should just know better.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

you're naive.

but they do know better... its lets do something that is controversal/ruff a lil feathers ppl will tune in to see whats going on. yea they may disagree/dislike it, but end of the day they still tuned in aka viewers/ratings=money

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

you're naive.

but they do know better... its lets do something that is controversal/ruff a lil feathers ppl will tune in to see whats going on. yea they may disagree/dislike it, but end of the day they still tuned in aka viewers/ratings=money

That headline was inexcusable, and there's no way it was an accident. We're talking about the premier sports network on the planet, not some local high school project.
Just had to look up what happened...
eek.gif
they seriously did that??? Extremely inexcusable, nothing clever about it, and if you let something like that pass, you
just leave the door open for other things.

Have a question though, how long have people been using that phrase to begin with, especially like that? For a long time, I've heard it as "kink in the armor",

and it wasn't until the past couple of years I've heard it pronounced the other way, and once it started happening, I had always wondered if people realized

what they were actually saying.

That headline was inexcusable, and there's no way it was an accident. We're talking about the premier sports network on the planet, not some local high school project.
Just had to look up what happened...
eek.gif
they seriously did that??? Extremely inexcusable, nothing clever about it, and if you let something like that pass, you
just leave the door open for other things.

Have a question though, how long have people been using that phrase to begin with, especially like that? For a long time, I've heard it as "kink in the armor",

and it wasn't until the past couple of years I've heard it pronounced the other way, and once it started happening, I had always wondered if people realized

what they were actually saying.

Back
Top Bottom