Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

[h3]Rex Walters following the Jeremy Lin story[/h3]
August, 5, 2010
Aug 5

8:57

PM ET

By Diamond Leung

San Francisco coach Rex Walters has yet to meet Jeremy Lin, but wants to extend an invitation to the presumed newest member of their small fraternity -- Asian-Americans who have played in the NBA.

When Lin is in the neighborhood and wants to work out away from the Golden State Warriors practice facility, Walters would like to have the USF gym doors opened for him.

What's a little red-carpet treatment for a kid who was shut out from receiving a Division I scholarship? And Walters, who starred at Kansas and played seven seasons in the NBA, as much as anyone else appreciates how Lin can be an inspirational figure for Asian-American players.

"I don't look Japanese," Walters said, referring to his mother's heritage. "When they see him, it's an Asian-American.

"It's great for Asian-Americans. And he's not 7-foot-4. It's great to see that they can make it."

Walters does his part to inspire as well. In the spare time he has away from rebuilding a Dons program that captured national championships in the 1950s, he also coaches his son and the rest of the fifth grade boys who play for the SF Flying Eagles -- an Asian league team.

Walters grew up in San Jose playing for Asian league teams himself and looks forward to following Lin's stereotype-shattering career. With few Asian-Americans playing college basketball, let alone reaching the NBA, the story of how a Harvard graduate with Taiwanese parents made the league could be a game-changer.

"You can't believe the detractors," Walters said. "They have to get over the stereotype that they can't make it."
I coach the SF Eagles 4th grade boys team and I see Rex doing his thing with his team (actually 6 th grade now) every sunday during practice. 
pimp.gif
to see his name and the Eagles name in the news.  Hope JLin does well this year....

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

[h3]Rex Walters following the Jeremy Lin story[/h3]
August, 5, 2010
Aug 5

8:57

PM ET

By Diamond Leung

San Francisco coach Rex Walters has yet to meet Jeremy Lin, but wants to extend an invitation to the presumed newest member of their small fraternity -- Asian-Americans who have played in the NBA.

When Lin is in the neighborhood and wants to work out away from the Golden State Warriors practice facility, Walters would like to have the USF gym doors opened for him.

What's a little red-carpet treatment for a kid who was shut out from receiving a Division I scholarship? And Walters, who starred at Kansas and played seven seasons in the NBA, as much as anyone else appreciates how Lin can be an inspirational figure for Asian-American players.

"I don't look Japanese," Walters said, referring to his mother's heritage. "When they see him, it's an Asian-American.

"It's great for Asian-Americans. And he's not 7-foot-4. It's great to see that they can make it."

Walters does his part to inspire as well. In the spare time he has away from rebuilding a Dons program that captured national championships in the 1950s, he also coaches his son and the rest of the fifth grade boys who play for the SF Flying Eagles -- an Asian league team.

Walters grew up in San Jose playing for Asian league teams himself and looks forward to following Lin's stereotype-shattering career. With few Asian-Americans playing college basketball, let alone reaching the NBA, the story of how a Harvard graduate with Taiwanese parents made the league could be a game-changer.

"You can't believe the detractors," Walters said. "They have to get over the stereotype that they can't make it."
I coach the SF Eagles 4th grade boys team and I see Rex doing his thing with his team (actually 6 th grade now) every sunday during practice. 
pimp.gif
to see his name and the Eagles name in the news.  Hope JLin does well this year....

JLin was pretty bad tonight. Love the Jeremy chants tonight by the fans, but what was the point of putting him in with like 2 min left and the Kings got Tyreke out there trying to mount a comeback? His poor play almost cost the Warriors the win, but he was probably just being nervous and being cold sitting the whole game.

JLin was pretty bad tonight. Love the Jeremy chants tonight by the fans, but what was the point of putting him in with like 2 min left and the Kings got Tyreke out there trying to mount a comeback? His poor play almost cost the Warriors the win, but he was probably just being nervous and being cold sitting the whole game.

Originally Posted by Viewtiful Mik3

Originally Posted by ThEPoiNTGoD

Unfortunately, as much as I want to jump on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for being the first AA in the L, in his interviews, he downplays his identity.  He identifies with being a Christian.  This dude could be inspiring so many more people by embracing his identity as a racial minority in the NBA, but he stuck his foot in his mouth.  If he didn't say a damn thing, he would still bee an inspiration to everyone for just making it in the L.  On the other hand, for him to come out and overtly downplay the impact of his Asian-American identity is extremely disappointing to me. 
 Lin doesn't have an army of fans and supporters for being a Christian.  Lin didn't get signed by the Warriors for being a Christian.  His Christianity isn't the reason why he's hyped.  If this dude wasn't Asian-American, he'd be a nobody.  His Taiwanese great grandparents must be rolling in their graves to hear this dude make it and not rep his people.
you should stick your foot in your mouth

i would be sick and tired of hearing that asian-american label every time he's mentioned in an interview. Picture if he did that, and he flopped hardcore. He'll be the Jin of the NBA. Let the man do his thing, once he's successful if he wants to talk about his ethnicity then that's fine and dandy.
Pretty much. By people constantly reminding him of the asian-american label, they're lowering him to the level of a gimmick (which, imo, he is). No one is going to want that, he just wants to go out their and prove himself without having to constantly hearing that he is the great asiain-american hope.

Originally Posted by Viewtiful Mik3

Originally Posted by ThEPoiNTGoD

Unfortunately, as much as I want to jump on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for being the first AA in the L, in his interviews, he downplays his identity.  He identifies with being a Christian.  This dude could be inspiring so many more people by embracing his identity as a racial minority in the NBA, but he stuck his foot in his mouth.  If he didn't say a damn thing, he would still bee an inspiration to everyone for just making it in the L.  On the other hand, for him to come out and overtly downplay the impact of his Asian-American identity is extremely disappointing to me. 
 Lin doesn't have an army of fans and supporters for being a Christian.  Lin didn't get signed by the Warriors for being a Christian.  His Christianity isn't the reason why he's hyped.  If this dude wasn't Asian-American, he'd be a nobody.  His Taiwanese great grandparents must be rolling in their graves to hear this dude make it and not rep his people.
you should stick your foot in your mouth

i would be sick and tired of hearing that asian-american label every time he's mentioned in an interview. Picture if he did that, and he flopped hardcore. He'll be the Jin of the NBA. Let the man do his thing, once he's successful if he wants to talk about his ethnicity then that's fine and dandy.
Pretty much. By people constantly reminding him of the asian-american label, they're lowering him to the level of a gimmick (which, imo, he is). No one is going to want that, he just wants to go out their and prove himself without having to constantly hearing that he is the great asiain-american hope.

I think all the asian americans at the game gotta calm down. He must be embarrassed as hell to have all these people chanting mvp and stuff when he's just a bench player. A garbage time bench player. Just let him play man. He downplays his asian heritage because he just wants to be another basketball player, but the crowd is makin it difficult for him.To the guys wonderin why he won't wear his label proudly like a mantle, he refuses to do so because he simply isn't that good. Its one thing to be the great asian american hope for basketball if he was nice as hell but truth of the matter is, he is just barely good enough to fight for a living that any one of us would kill for. The chances of him not succeeding in stickin around in the league is high right now.It's up to him to try to beat the odds.Its ridiculous to be chanting for him od. Makes it even harder to fit in with the fellas on the squad too.

I think all the asian americans at the game gotta calm down. He must be embarrassed as hell to have all these people chanting mvp and stuff when he's just a bench player. A garbage time bench player. Just let him play man. He downplays his asian heritage because he just wants to be another basketball player, but the crowd is makin it difficult for him.To the guys wonderin why he won't wear his label proudly like a mantle, he refuses to do so because he simply isn't that good. Its one thing to be the great asian american hope for basketball if he was nice as hell but truth of the matter is, he is just barely good enough to fight for a living that any one of us would kill for. The chances of him not succeeding in stickin around in the league is high right now.It's up to him to try to beat the odds.Its ridiculous to be chanting for him od. Makes it even harder to fit in with the fellas on the squad too.

Back
Top Bottom