Official Joe Mauer AL MVP Thread vol. No HGH in MPLS

Whether Jeter got screwed is irrelevant. Is the argument really that Jeter got screwed in 06' So Mauer should get screwed in 09' (because its onlyfair). Common guys. Sure the "Feel Good" vote goes to Jeter. But bottom line is if any Yankee is winning it this year it would be Tex. And even stillI would give it to Mauer above him hands down.

No1 is discounting Jeter's year, he had an amazing season and can now arguably be in the discussion for greatest Yankee of all time since he now owns themost hits ever. But he is not even the Most Valuable Player on his team this year. When do the results even come out? They should be out soon.

And as a final thing.
Originally Posted by yankeesfan0130

i must have gotten mixed up with smething else.the twins still got swept by the yanks in the alds.
laugh.gif
Really? Is that your reason why a Yankee deserves an INDIVIDUAL AWARD for the REGULAR SEASON? Based on a TEAMS performance in THE PLAYOFFS?

Glad you could add some real discussion the the topic.

Whether Jeter got screwed is irrelevant. Is the argument really that Jeter got screwed in 06' So Mauer should get screwed in 09' (because its only fair)

laugh.gif
even tho ur bein sarcastic, this is my reasoning as ahomer

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

efff the twins and eff joe mauer until he wearin pinstripes

Originally Posted by CarolinaPack04

Whether Jeter got screwed is irrelevant. Is the argument really that Jeter got screwed in 06' So Mauer should get screwed in 09' (because its only fair)
laugh.gif
even tho ur bein sarcastic, this is my reasoning as a homer

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

efff the twins and eff joe mauer until he wearin pinstripes

Atleast you man enough to admit it. But I think the saying goes "two wrongs, dont make a right". Either way I dont know what it is butmy mind is str8 blanked on the 06 season. I cant even remember if Jeter deserved it or not, but ill take your words for it.

And
roll.gif
@ JPZ turning the pinstripes comment around

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

LOL at the sudden "Jeter got screwed in '06" talk the last two pages.

Morneau had as much a right for that award as anyone. Could it have gone either way, like many MVP races? Sure. But he won it and the Twins went on that 2nd half tear. No one got screwed, and it's not like almighty Jeter lost out to David Eckstein.

According to some though, Jeter should win the legacy MVP this year too
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

I'd like to hear that argument.

Morneau was awarded the MVP mainly due to his high RBI total. Unfortunately, RBI totals are a product of number of opportunities not performance. Jeteroutperformed Morneau by a wide margin in situational hitting (Jeter .389 avg RISP, Morneau .323 avg RISP).

And if you're partial to power hitters, David Ortiz put up better numbers than Morneau in 2006. Yeah, Morneau hit for a very good batting average (but notgood enough to be in the Top 5 in the AL batting race), his OBP was average... Jeter and Ortiz beat him by a cool 40 points in OBP.

The most comparable hitter to Morneau that year was Jermaine Dye... look at the stats, it's hard to make a case for Morneau as even a more deserving 2006AL MVP candidate than Dye, who finished 5th in the AL MVP vote.

Justin Morneau
[table][tr][th=""]G[/th] [th=""]PA[/th] [th=""]AB[/th] [th=""]R[/th] [th=""]H[/th] [th=""]2B[/th] [th=""]3B[/th] [th=""]HR[/th] [th=""]RBI[/th] [th=""]SB[/th] [th=""]CS[/th] [th=""]BB[/th] [th=""]SO[/th] [th=""]BA[/th] [th=""]OBP[/th] [th=""]SLG[/th] [th=""]OPS[/th] [th=""]OPS+[/th] [th=""]TB[/th] [th=""]Awards[/th] [/tr][tr][td]157[/td] [td]661[/td] [td]592[/td] [td]97[/td] [td]190[/td] [td]37[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]130[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]53[/td] [td]93[/td] [td].321[/td] [td].375[/td] [td].559[/td] [td].934[/td] [td]140[/td] [td]331[/td] [td]MVP-1,SS[/td] [/tr][/table]
Jermaine Dye
[table][tr][th=""]G[/th] [th=""]PA[/th] [th=""]AB[/th] [th=""]R[/th] [th=""]H[/th] [th=""]2B[/th] [th=""]3B[/th] [th=""]HR[/th] [th=""]RBI[/th] [th=""]SB[/th] [th=""]CS[/th] [th=""]BB[/th] [th=""]SO[/th] [th=""]BA[/th] [th=""]OBP[/th] [th=""]SLG[/th] [th=""]OPS[/th] [th=""]OPS+[/th] [th=""]TB[/th] [th=""]Awards[/th] [/tr][tr][td]146[/td] [td]611[/td] [td]539[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]170[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]120[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]118[/td] [td].315[/td] [td].385[/td] [td].622[/td] [td]1.006[/td] [td]151[/td] [td]335[/td] [td]AS,MVP-5,SS[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Joe Mauer missed 20 games at the beginning of the season with a back injury and still played 138 games... You do realize how unheard of that is for a catcher, right? He played literally every gad damn day for 4+ months...

And what does it matter whether or not Mauer would be in the running if the Twins didn't make the playoffs...? Fact is, they did, and he is a VERY big reason why... And even still, with the production he put up offensively as a catcher, yes, he still would have been in the running, probably still the front-runner...

No offense, but this is one of dumbest statements I've read on NT. Whenever somebody says "literally", it's generally a cue that a grossexaggeration is coming.

It is unheard of for a catcher to catch everyday, but Mauer did nothing of the sort.

Mauer started 105 games at catcher over a span of 159 days, that's an average of 4.5 starts at catcher per week. Over that span of 159 days, Mauer startedat DH for 28 games, pinch hit in 5 games, and had 21 days off (an average of 1.0 per week). He actually started considerably less often at catcher than otherelite catchers. The claim that Mauer performed an iron man feat for a catcher is really a media hyperpole. A 35-year-old starting 147 games at shortstop isprobably a more impressive feat. Only Tulowitzki, Rollins, Tejada, and Cabrera started more games at shortstop than Jeter this season.

I'm not convinced Mauer will repeat his power numbers. "Mauer Power" was really just 2 isolated HR tears. He hit 10 HR in a 17-game stretch inMay and 7 HR in a 11-game stretch in August. The rest of season? 11 HR in 110 games.

Jeter was more consistent. That's his argument for MVP. After Mauer's first "Mauer Power" outburst came to an end on May 25, Jeter out-hitMauer for the rest of the season (4½ months)... Jeter hit .355, Mauer hit .351 the rest of the way.

Morneau was awarded the MVP mainly due to his high RBI total. Unfortunately, RBI totals are a product of number of opportunities not performance. Jeter outperformed Morneau by a wide margin in situational hitting (Jeter .389 avg RISP, Morneau .323 avg RISP).

And if you're partial to power hitters, David Ortiz put up better numbers than Morneau in 2006. Yeah, Morneau hit for a very good batting average (but not good enough to be in the Top 5 in the AL batting race), his OBP was average... Jeter and Ortiz beat him by a cool 40 points in OBP.

The most comparable hitter to Morneau that year was Jermaine Dye... look at the stats, it's hard to make a case for Morneau as even a more deserving 2006 AL MVP candidate than Dye, who finished 5th in the AL MVP vote.

I got ya....But the beauty of this is you would simply like to hear the argument that he had a "right" to be in the discussion and thus won out(which is what I wrote). And that's an easy argument to give.

June 8, 2006- Minnesota Twins are are 25-33, 11.5 games out of first place.

From that day forward the Twins finished the year 71-33. In this span Justin Morneau went 23 HR/92 RBI/72 R/.362 BA/.412 OBP/.611 SLG

And had key hit after key hit to fuel many of those wins (or win the game itself). I realize this is tough for people to see when 3 Twins games total are onnational TV compared to 100 Yankee games.

I'd say Morneau had as much a right as anyone for being right there in a close balloting when we know voters love that late-season surge.

Out of 28 national voters, 15 gave their 1st place vote to Morneau.

Again, the argument here was Jeter got screwed. Hardly the case. Plenty of players had great seasons that year. And Dye, whether fair or not, had no real shotbecause his team finished 3rd in the division.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Whether Jeter got screwed is irrelevant. Is the argument really that Jeter got screwed in 06' So Mauer should get screwed in 09' (because its only fair). Common guys. Sure the "Feel Good" vote goes to Jeter. But bottom line is if any Yankee is winning it this year it would be Tex. And even still I would give it to Mauer above him hands down.

No1 is discounting Jeter's year, he had an amazing season and can now arguably be in the discussion for greatest Yankee of all time since he now owns the most hits ever. But he is not even the Most Valuable Player on his team this year. When do the results even come out? They should be out soon.

And as a final thing.
Originally Posted by yankeesfan0130

i must have gotten mixed up with smething else.the twins still got swept by the yanks in the alds.
laugh.gif
Really? Is that your reason why a Yankee deserves an INDIVIDUAL AWARD for the REGULAR SEASON? Based on a TEAMS performance in THE PLAYOFFS?

Glad you could add some real discussion the the topic.
actually no.i was saying that the twins suck and said they got swept.dont put words in my mouth.the regular season is the regular season.the postseason has its own awards

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Morneau was awarded the MVP mainly due to his high RBI total. Unfortunately, RBI totals are a product of number of opportunities not performance. Jeter outperformed Morneau by a wide margin in situational hitting (Jeter .389 avg RISP, Morneau .323 avg RISP).

And if you're partial to power hitters, David Ortiz put up better numbers than Morneau in 2006. Yeah, Morneau hit for a very good batting average (but not good enough to be in the Top 5 in the AL batting race), his OBP was average... Jeter and Ortiz beat him by a cool 40 points in OBP.

The most comparable hitter to Morneau that year was Jermaine Dye... look at the stats, it's hard to make a case for Morneau as even a more deserving 2006 AL MVP candidate than Dye, who finished 5th in the AL MVP vote.

The beauty of this is you would simply like to hear the argument that he had a "right" to be in the discussion and thus won out (which is what I wrote). And that's an easy argument to give.

From that day forward the Twins finished the year 71-33. In this span Justin Morneau went 23 HR/92 RBI/72 R/.362 BA/.412 OBP/.611 SLG

And had key hit after key hit to fuel many of those wins (or win the game itself).

I'd say Morneau had as much a right as anyone for being right there in a close balloting when we know voters love that late-season surge.

Out of 28 national voters, 15 gave their 1st place vote to Morneau.

Again, the argument here was Jeter got screwed. Hardly the case. Plenty of players had great seasons that year. And Dye, whether fair or not, had no real shot because his team finished 3rd in the division.

The Twins did win the AL Central in 2006, but Morneau wasn't even the clear-cut MVP of his own team. Mauer won the batting title that year and had a higherOPS than Morneau. Santana was absolutely dominant on the mound. Both Mauer and Santana also finished in the Top 7 among AL MVP voters. If Morneau was reallythat valuable, why did he bat no better than 5th in the Twins lineup in any game that season?

The Yankees also won their division in 2006 (and won more games that the Twins). Jeter was the only Yankee in the Top 10 of AL MVP voting.

In 2006, Jeter was responsible for 0.86 runs per game, Morneau was responsible for 0.79 runs per game. If Morneau was the SS and Jeter was the 1B, I could seehow an argument could be made for Morneau to win the MVP with lesser production. But the 2006 AL MVP should have gone to Jeter and it wasn't particularlyclose.

*golf claps for Juan Baller*

Still don't agree that anyone besides Mauer should win it this year but that's how you make an argument.

Originally Posted by Juan Baller

The Twins did win the AL Central in 2006, but Morneau wasn't even the clear-cut MVP of his own team. Both Mauer and Santana also finished in the Top 7 among AL MVP voters.

I'm glad you believe in all of that ^^

Because if that is all true, then you MUST agree that Teixeira OR Jeter shouldn't even be considered for MVP thisyear. Correct?

Originally Posted by JPZx

The Twins did win the AL Central in 2006, but Morneau wasn't even the clear-cut MVP of his own team. Both Mauer and Santana also finished in the Top 7 among AL MVP voters.

Because if that is all true, then you MUST agree that Teixeira OR Jeter shouldn't even be considered for MVP this year. Correct?
[Lee Corso]Not so fast, my friend![/Lee Corso]

If a team finishes with the best record in baseball by a wide margin, such a level of success could support multiple MVP candidates. For example, the 2000 SFGiants had 2 viable NL MVP candidates, Kent and Bonds.

The Yankees blew everybody away this year with 103 wins, so it makes sense that multiple players could have MVP seasons on a team having that much success.

I do think Mauer should win the MVP this year, but a valid argument could be made for Jeter based on his consistent high level of play throughout the season.Teixeira had a more productive 2nd half this year than Mauer. He also has the best power numbers this year on the team best record in baseball. So, yes, thereis a valid case for Teixeira. Add in the the fact that the Twins were winless in Joe Mauer's 10 games against the Yankees this year, and Jeter andTeixeira's candidacies look even better.

I can't see how a valid argument could be made for Justin Morneau deserving the MVP on a 96-win Twins team in 2006.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Because if that is all true, then you MUST agree that Teixeira OR Jeter shouldn't even be considered for MVP this year. Correct?
[Lee Corso]Not so fast, my friend![/Lee Corso]

If a team finishes with the best record in baseball by a wide margin, such a level of success could support multiple MVP candidates. For example, the 2000 SF Giants had 2 viable NL MVP candidates, Kent and Bonds.

The Yankees blew everybody away this year with 103 wins, so it makes sense that multiple players could have MVP seasons on a team having that much success.

I do think Mauer should win the MVP this year, but a valid argument could be made for Jeter based on his consistent high level of play throughout the season. Teixeira had a more productive 2nd half this year than Mauer. He also has the best power numbers this year on the team best record in baseball. So, yes, there is a valid case for Teixeira. Add in the the fact that the Twins were winless in Joe Mauer's 10 games against the Yankees this year, and Jeter and Teixeira's candidacies look even better.

I can't see how a valid argument could be made for Justin Morneau deserving the MVP on a 96-win Twins team in 2006.

You say Jeter's case is made for his consistent high level of play throughout the season, Mauer did the same.

I think discrediting Mauer's power numbers as an isolated hot streak is unfair. Baseball is a game predicated on streaks. Because a player hits 11 homeruns in a month (like Mauer in May) does not mean he will finish the year with 55 home runs. But you think he deserves the MVP, so it's moot.

The MVP award is tricky. If the Twins finish 2 games back of the Tigers, Mauer wins by an extremely slim margin or he loses. Since Minnesota made amiraculous run and made the playoffs, Mauer wins comfortably.

Morneau was awarded the MVP mainly due to his high RBI total.

The Twins did win the AL Central in 2006, but Morneau wasn't even the clear-cut MVP of his own team.
roll.gif

We had that thread three years ago. Dig it up if you can. Just like this year, 95% of non Yankee fans agreed Morneau(Mauer this year) was the real MVP anddeservedly so. It really comes down to this...

RyGuy45 wrote:

Morneau carried the team into the playoffs. Check where those numbers ranked from that date on.

So I guess everytime a twin is in the running for mvp they just HAVE to get it right regardless of the numbers and the success of the team that year? You twinfans are hilarious when it comes to your guys

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

So I guess everytime a twin is in the running for mvp they just HAVE to get it right regardless of the numbers and the success of the team that year? You twin fans are hilarious when it comes to your guys
This is about to backfire on you my man
laugh.gif

MVP= Most Valuable Player
Valuable does not necessarily equal strictly numbers.

The point is. Would the Yankees have made the playoffs with an average SS instead of Jeter? The answer is that motlikely they would have considering the strength of their team.
Would the Twins have made the playoffs with an average catcher instead of Mauer? Absolutely not.

So I guess everytime a twin is in the running for mvp they just HAVE to get it right regardless of the numbers and the success of the team that year? You twin fans are hilarious when it comes to your guys

I hope to God nobody acknowledges this...

Reverse psychology?

Back
Top Bottom