[[[ Official John Mayer - Battle Studies Album Thread ]]]

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by AKA King Arthur

Anyone remember when John Mayer was wack

with your body is a wonderland???

i was wondering how long it'd take you to start hating on JM...
roll.gif
roll.gif

i enjoy his new cd

Definitely a different vibe on this album. The lyrics are still there though.

General consensus is that Assassin is
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

- Heartbreak Warfare, I never noticed the solo in it (from 2:30-2:47).
- Assassin and Edge of Desire are my favorite (his voice in Edge of Desire
pimp.gif
)
- All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye, really deep song, seems to have a lot of meaning.
- Crossroads definitely has the least Mayer-feel to it.

I will be purchasing the album in support on John, he delivered on this one.
Definately co-sign, and I've seen folks say the same thing about Crossroads, its a cover of a Cream song, so thats probably why it doesn'tseem as Mayer-esque.

I'm loving this album and I'm only two plays through it. I need to let this sink in more but I'm not disappointed at all.

so i listened to this album 2 times through on the way up to LA...Album of the Year of first listen for me...some of these songs on here are ridiculous...IMOBattle Studies is >Continuum...yeah less of a bluesy feel but some of these songs are too dope...a very Tom Petty feel to the album... Half of My Heart Warof My Life Perfectly Lonely Heartbreak Warfare Assassin Friends, Lovers or Nothing All We Ever do is Say Goodbye all too %!%*%!$ dope....cannot wait to see himthis december...

Word, I really listened to every song last night and this joint is a 9.5 to me.

His songwriting has gotten so much stronger since Continuum and I thought that would be insurmountable. (Is Jennifer making him write like this?)

I just feel like "Who Says" doesn't belong. It it were omitted, it would be a 10.

"Edge of Desire" may be song of the year.

I'm trying so hard not to just download the leak.

I want to support him 100% and I feel as i would be insulting the quality of his work by not jut waiting and listening to the fully purchased album.

All of the reviews are making this terribly difficult though.

I still need a John Mayer x ALIFE "Sold Out" tee in an XL if anyone wants to hook me up.
I should have picked one up in the lobby the night of the show.

Originally Posted by eye see soles

His songwriting has gotten so much stronger since Continuum and I thought that would be insurmountable. (Is Jennifer making him write like this?)

I just feel like "Who Says" doesn't belong. It it were omitted, it would be a 10.

Indeed it has.

I love Continuum, but there were some cringe worthy moments on there as far as lyrics go.

10's across the board.

I thought "Who Says" didn't belong, but it's placement and message is perfect.

I can't stop playing this *#*#.

Originally Posted by Nike Star Jay

i can honestly say i wanted to hear more of taylor swift on "half of my heart"
a full duet on that song between the two of them would've been amazing
embarassed.gif
Same.

I gave it another listen today, and am really enjoying it. 'Edge of Desire' is
pimp.gif

^ Word, even on the chorus I felt like she should have been given a bigger part.

As for 10s across the board, I can't agree with "crossroads" being given a 10. Granted it's a cover, still...it just doesn't fit. I hadthe album playing on my itunes not really paying attention and this song came on as I was like
mad.gif
why would my itunes insert a random song into this playlist!?! Then I realized itwas part of the album.

But seriously "assassin" is so legit. Part of me feels bad that it's jumped into the top 25 most played list on my itunes in a day and a half,but then I listen to it again and I know it belongs there.

Originally Posted by Crazy EBW

This album has lived up to if not passed the hype. I can't stop listening.
Yeah, I'm really liking the sound of this album. This album will be purchased
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by eye see soles

Nah I think Continuum was better from a songwriting standpoint (Stop This Train, Belief, Heart of Life ...
eek.gif
) But as far as listenability, Battle Studies wins.

I'm not gonna lie; the riding of John Mayer on NT is what has kept me from listening to him. #kanyeshrug

Back
Top Bottom