[::OFFICIAL LAKERS 2010-11' SEASON THREAD Vol. It Was Fun While It Lasted::]

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Here is the link to the Kobe interview today on ESPN 710AM LA with Max & Marcelus:

http://espn.go.com/espnra...utoplay=1&id=6190806

Kobe's AT&T coverage
30t6p3b.gif

A little off topic but yeah I'm doing some scoreboard watching and it looks like the T Pups have a good chance of helping us out tonight.

Mavs are down 7 going into the 4th and Dirk is in foul trouble with 4 fouls.

Kevin Love just tied Moses Malone's record of 51 straight games of double doubles.

Hopefully Rambo helps us out tonight.

^ so much for that :/ mavs opened up the 4th on a 10-0 run... I live in arlington so im watching the game. pulling for the Twolves
laugh.gif

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Better late than never for Lakers' Bynum to earn Jackson's respect[/h1]

SAN ANTONIO – Before the game Phil Jackson mused about the San Antonio Spurs' uncommon fortune with health this season and said: "They must have Jesus Christ working on their bench as a trainer."
The Spurs would've needed J.C. on the court to beat the Lakers on Sunday.

It might just turn out that this was Jackson's last trip to San Antonio, because anyone banking on the Spurs beating the Thunder in the potential 1-vs.-4 matchup in the Western Conference playoffs must think that San Antonio's 40 percent 3-point success rate in the regular season automatically transfers over to postseason games.

"They're having a magical season," Jackson said nicely enough before the game while still making it sound like people should pay no attention to that man Gregg Popovich behind the curtain.

If this were the lockout-shortened, Jackson-dubbed "asterisk" 1998-99 NBA season that resulted in Popovich's first NBA title, we'd be in the middle of the playoffs right now. And because the Lakers did play Sunday as if it was a playoff game to be gotten, there is suddenly plain reason to believe Jackson won't return to the city he has derided as a "tourist trap" and whose River Walk is to him a "green rio."

If you're keeping score at home, Jackson is done with Memphis ("like Dresden after the war") and probably Orlando ("plastic city"), has one trip left to Sacramento ("semi-civilized" and "redneck in some form or fashion") and might still draw New Orleans ("that mildew smell ... permeates the air") in the playoffs.

But if the Lakers do meet the Spurs in the Western Conference finals, there now should be no question whatsoever in anyone's mind that Jackson has more chance of turning the San Antonio River water into wine than Popovich has of elevating Tim Duncan, DeJuan Blair, Matt Bonner, Antonio McDyess and Tiago Splitter to the point they can eliminate Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom.

Then again, neither Dallas nor Oklahoma City can hang with the Lakers if Jackson successfully pulls off his magic trick of making Bynum levitate like this.

Ground-bound much of the season after missing the first 24 games after his delayed knee surgery, Bynum is now demonstrating why I pegged the Lakers to win 68 regular-season games if he was healthy this season.

He initially embraced the opportunity to be the gatekeeper for Lakers' new defense that funnels opponents for him to change or block their shots, but then he let down. He got back on point at the All-Star break and realizes the satisfaction he can get out of piling up rebounds that Gasol doesn't much want anyway.

"We talked to Andrew at the break about defense and what impact he can have on the game," Jackson said. "He showed it today."

In the first game after the break, Bynum had five points, 15 rebounds and three blocks vs. Atlanta. His line Sunday in what Kobe Bryant called a "really dominant" outing was nearly identical.

Bynum's boyhood idol, Duncan, noticed it, too, saying: "He bothered a lot of people in the lane, and just his size was definitely the difference." And you can just imagine how proud Jim Buss, having made the trip to San Antonio, was to see first-hand as his boy looked like the man among boys.

Bynum was coming off a six-block, 17-rebound game (13 in the first half, most by any Laker in a half this season) in just 28 minutes. He added three more blocks and 17 more rebounds Sunday in just 26 ½ minutes.

That means for consecutive games Bynum has kept up a pace that translates into eight blocks and 30 rebounds for a 48-minute game.

Jesus Christ, Phil.

Let's note here that the Lakers lost to the Spurs a month ago because they couldn't get a rebound and a stop, letting McDyess get that buzzer-beating tip-in. Let's note here that Bynum had back-to-back six-rebound games in the Lakers' consecutive pre-All-Star losses in Charlotte and Cleveland.

There's no doubt that having Bynum as what he describes as a "rover" in the paint helps the Lakers run out and rotate aggressively on the perimeter, which happened consistently against San Antonio.

"I realized where I could be a huge help, and that's on the defensive end of the basketball," Bynum said. "Try and get every rebound. Try and block every shot."

Meanwhile, Bynum's always analytical mind has shifted his body away from expending energy posting up hard on offense. That's because his notion now is that isolation post-ups tend to bog down the triangle offense's ball movement. The better shots the ball movement produces then, in turn, help maintain floor balance for the Lakers' vulnerable transition defense.

This being Jackson's farewell season after consecutive titles, it was a pretty risky to alter the defensive scheme toward zone-based principles. It was even more daring to devote major practice time for Chuck Person, in his first season as a full-fledged Jackson assistant after he was hired partly to babysit his buddy Ron Artest, to teach the new defense.

But Person's new drills such as playing with one more player on offense than defense, forcing and training the defenders to be highly active and communicative, have "paid off a great deal," according to Bryant.

So here is Bynum, looking like a standout in a way that was hard to imagine.

Even though everyone – Bynum included – realized Bynum's greatest contributions to the recent titles has been in offering defensive size, no one – Bynum included – expected him simply to cast aside that long-held lust for scoring to do the dirty work.

"This team is going to win regardless if I get 15 points or if I get four points; that's the kind of team we have," Bynum said. "This team won't win if we don't have defensive toughness on the inside."

It's no magic act. It took years of push and pull – Bynum thinking he was underutilized on offense, Jackson knowing he was out of shape, mentally and defensively soft and undeserving of those crunchtime minutes over Odom and Gasol that Bynum openly sniped about missing.

Bynum can score. He will earn his longed-for day in the All-Star sun someday when Jackson is gone.
The far greater accomplishment would be to earn the true respect of the greatest coach in NBA history before he goes out the door.
Link:

http://www.ocregister.com...0981-jackson-lakers.html

Good article.

Read that article about Bynum multiple times my friends.
pimp.gif
No need to get creative, let's just go with a simple "good call CP" and be done with it. *wink*

And because the Lakers did play Sunday as if it was a playoff game to be gotten, there is suddenly plain reason to believe Jackson won't return to the city he has derided as a "tourist trap" and whose River Walk is to him a "green rio."

If you're keeping score at home, Jackson is done with Memphis ("like Dresden after the war") and probably Orlando ("plastic city"), has one trip left to Sacramento ("semi-civilized" and "redneck in some form or fashion") and might still draw New Orleans ("that mildew smell ... permeates the air") in the playoffs.

Wow. 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Definitely going to miss PJ and his humor. 

--Never had a strong opinion on Bynum whether be it positive or negative.
--Yeah it sucked he's been injured half his professional career but he has been a factor when present.

--Dope article though.
pimp.gif

I truly believe if we win tonite against ATL, we'll win against Miami on thursday. I say that because, for one, this team is lookin hungry again. two, they're on a roll like they were in the beginning of the season. They're letting their defense depict their offense rather than the other way around. Plus they're meshing very well again. We have barnes back for toughness, ron is playin well. Our Bigs are acting BIG, kobe is kobe. Plus we have a lil streak goin. Streaks have a way of motivating individuals because you never know when it will end, so it makes you want to play at a level that promotes longevity. Annnndddd, the biggest piece, Miami is lost right now. Best believe our scouts have been paying close attention to all of their flaws, looking for pieces to exploit. You see, xmas day days arent really that important from the standpoint, it's 2 months into the season, who cares who wins. plus our motivation to win and exert that energy wasnt high, so we let em hav it, as we usually do on xmas. Technically, this game isnt important either, but I think the Lakeshow will be looking to send a message to all whom oppose them before seasons end. Check the numbers, we've beat all of our toughest challenges so far I believe, besides miami (and maybe orlando, i dont remember). i believe we have their number. bynum and pau are gonna giv bosh that work. ron ron is gonna giv bron bron a fit. theyll probably put kobe on chalmers to save his energy on defense and throw shannon on wade.

I'm very confident we'll win tonite, so I'm looking towards thursday.

--12 hours from now...things will go from everything great in Lakerland to everything wrong..
--Cuz we will drop one against the Hawks tonight, putting doubt in our heads against a Heat team Thursday thats hungrier for a W.

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

--12 hours from now...things will go from everything great in Lakerland to everything wrong..
--Cuz we will drop one against the Hawks tonight, putting doubt in our heads against a Heat team Thursday thats hungrier for a W.

tired.gif

Darth, have you taken on the duties of  3PLEDOUBLE?
laugh.gif

Not that I mind. Keep doing what you're doing. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by KenJi714

lol sometime reverse physchology might come back and bite you
you've been doing it as of late as well, if not mistaken
laugh.gif

darth is just trying to keep us from getting too high and too low during the regular season.
pimp.gif

btw, whos that in your avy bro? i've been meaning to ask you
nerd.gif

crazy to think he's climbing up the scoring charts due to the fact he was playing alongside shaq for his first 8 years.
eek.gif

lol@ how he tries to take charges though
laugh.gif

for a second i thought Kobe hurt his ankle. Woot

We're playing like a real NBA champ right now
pimp.gif

Fisher with the Kobe move
laugh.gif

WCF that's allie layus in my avy bro

Originally Posted by DARTH DNZY

man u have been sooooooooo off with the hawks/lakers predictions the past two weeks. like i said before, the hawks cant match up with the lakers.

Just to show where we could be headed here

Kobe will finish this year high 27K

2011-12 he passes 28K, passes Shaq for 5th all time, then passes 29K within a few months. 
2012-13 he passes 30K and gets a lil closer to Wilt
2013-14 he passes Wilt for 4th all time, and has time to get close to MJ

That's his current contract.  If he plays past it by a year or so, he goes past MJ into 3rd all time.  33K+ 

And after what he's done this year passing Havlicek, Nique, Oscar, Dream, 27K,  Hayes, and Moses, look at that 4 year stretch again. 

30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom