Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

I bought a suit from Men's wearhouse a year ago and still rock it often on client meetings/interviews. As long as you get your correct size, have ittailored a bit, wear your correct size in dress shirt with a nice tie you will be okay. Good post. I think the key is to get your correct size when it comes tosuit. Don't buy into you might grow a bit or lose weight etc etc etc. Get your suit sized for your current weight/size.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

are bannana republic pants straight, i need some dress pants and shirts for work and have no idea where to start. i like express shirts but the mx1 fits me kinda baggy, but the prices are good. can you recommend anything better for the same price?

i don't know about the pants but check out the "fitted" 1mx shirts at express. they are taken in on the back which gives it a better fit ithink. don't get em confused with the "modern fit" shirts though.

So today my parents told me that I have a wedding to go to next Sunday. Great timing too bad I just spent money on the CDP, so I have about $100 to spend. Ineed help on whats a good combination and wheres good places to get them. I already have some Black dress shoes so what I wanted to incorporate with my outfitwas maybe the vest/tie look minus the jacket. So I'm asking for help on what are good colors to get the outfit in.

Shoes - Blk
Pants - ?
Shirt - ?
Tie - ?
Vest - ?

The only color I have in mind at the moment is grey or khaki as its summer but I'm open to suggestions.

^^ If you're looking for a $100 suit, H&M is the only option I could suggest but even then you might pay about $20-$30 more without alterations. I likeKhaki suits for the summer.

If you can copy this look then you should be solid. Light blue striped button down, navy tie with a fitted khaki suit. I don't really think a vest isnecessary since you won't be wearing a tux anyways.
00001f.jpg
00004f.jpg

Quick question though, where is the reception going to be at?

Fitted suits FTW!!

But where can I cop a decent one, obviously I haven't read the thread in a while.

I thought H & M suits were like $150 and up. If I can cop then I'm going to.

With the vest outfit idea I was thinking of something in the lines of this

Kenneth Cole Vest

Grey vest, pinstripe french cuff shirt, solid black tie, black pants

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Kenneth Cole Vest

If you went with that outfit you would look like a bellhop or server.

H&M is where you should look, their cotton suits may be a bit more than $100, but honestly I think you will have a hard time putting together any outfitfor under $100. That suit/look on the right that RFX45 posted looks nice to me.

Kenneth Cole Vest

I would have to say HELL NO! those vest, especially how it is worn in the pic. It looks nasty, it looks rugged and are way too casual. It doesn't evenshow the button. Plus at $70, it is a rip-off. I know I use a lot of GQ pics but this is how I prefer a vest is worn.

It is fitted along with the fitted button down and the vest matches the pants that are also fitted.

00004f.jpg

As for H&M, they do have suits that cost $150 but they also have some suit separates that sells the pants for about $35-$50 and the jacket for $40-$60.They still match, they're just sold separately. However, your color choices will probablybe limited to black, navy or charcoal, if you're lucky. Iwould try to get a khaki one if available, if not, go with a charcoal/grey and then navy. I will pick black as last resort. H&M should fit well too withoutalterations.

Thanks RFX45

I was also wondering does the vest have to match the pants? or can I just choose a color that meshes well with the vest

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Are Old Navy dress shirts Quality? I seen some for like 10-14 bucks for some sale they are having.
You get what you pay for. I purchased some $20 button downs from Target, from the Dufty line. It fit great, very fitted and has a nice style. After oneor two wears though, 3 buttons fell off. I wouldn't be surprised if it falls apart after a couple of washes too. Old Navy's are ok but the fit isusually horrible and it is in the bottom of the Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic line of stores.

Originally Posted by instant klassic

also from gq, an american in shanghai spread:

[h1]GQ: The Season's Best Seersucker Suits[/h1]

Know Your Seersucker
1. A seersucker suit doesn't need to be splashy. Instead of bright blue and white, look for tan or navy stripes, which are more city than country.

Suit, $1,395, by Polo by Ralph Lauren.

Shirt, $145; tie, $115; and pocket square: all by Polo by Ralph Lauren. Loafers, $485, by Gucci. Glasses (throughout) by Tom Ford.
00001f.jpg

Know Your Seersucker
2. You'll never go wrong pairing your suit with a white shirt and dark tie.

Suit jacket, $1,500, by Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers.

Shirt, $150, by Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers. Tie, $68, by Banana Republic. Pocket square by Brooks Brothers.

00002f.jpg

Vest, $970, by Hermès.

Shirt, $325, by Hermès. Tie, $118, by Hickey. Jeans, $155, by A.P.C. Cap by Banana Republic. Watch by Rolex.

00004f.jpg

Sweet Jesus
pimp.gif

Yo anybody mess with Tweed? I`m looking at some tweed sports coats for the fall. And do you guys do strictly lace up for your suits? Like I've rarelyseen loafers done with suits.

Thanks RFX45

I was also wondering does the vest have to match the pants? or can I just choose a color that meshes well with the vest
If you're goign to do that, I wouldn't even suggest trying to match the vest with the pants because it will look like you lost the other partof the vest. It will also looks like you're trying to pull off something and it will just look akward. A vest is very hard to pull off and I wouldn'treally suggest it if you don't have the pants to match but there are instances that it can be pulled off with a khaki or chino but mismatching it usuallyonly works on casual settings. It is all about the fit. Here's an example of a decent look but it is too casual for what you are looking for.
92213_WW6167_m_SU08.jpg

This one would look decent to good as well if he switched up the sweat pants with some nice, fitted chino's or khaki's. I like the light blue buttondown with a white collar, but I would swith the bowtie for a navy or black slim tie. Again, I still think it is a bit too casual.
pPOLO2-4371993_standard_v330.jpg

I always wear tweed sport jackets. I bought one from Loehmann's, it is made by Juicy Couture and has some patches on the elbow, I love it. I also have atweed vest I bought from Target for $15, I haven't worn it yet but I can't wait.

Another thing I was thinking about venturing into were Square bottom ties, but I haven't really seen em done much to get an idea of how to pull em off.

Lace ups are the most common and versatile, but sometimes nothing sets off a nice suit like some monkstraps.

ah what the hell, here is some stuff i copped today and got a pretty good deal on most of it.

kenith cole driving shoes and florsheim imperials
nffj21.jpg

h+m linen pants
15yds9k.jpg

geoffrey beene
2uqp44g.jpg

h+m shirt
2usznva.jpg

i got most the stuff for 40% off at macys fathers day sale

No offense, but paisley/fancy/overdramatic ties ARE NOT WHAT IS UP. Simple, striped/solid is what is in. I mean it's cool if paisley is your thing...butyou just have to know that's not what is in. Tool oud and draws too much attention to your tie. Simple, clean, fitted. Please go by that.

No offense, but paisley/fancy/overdramatic ties ARE NOT WHAT IS UP. Simple, striped/solid is what is in. I mean it's cool if paisley is your thing...butyou just have to know that's not what is in. Tool oud and draws too much attention to your tie. Simple, clean, fitted. Please go by that.

RFX45 do you know any other places besides and H&M where I could get a suit like that? There aren't any in my area. I also have a wedding to go to, andmy suits are all boxy loose. Its this Sat.

laugh.gif
it's all good, i thought the paisley was sick. all my stuff is fitted but i dontknow anything about dressing up since i just started having to for work.

Originally Posted by Rebel RLY

RFX45 do you know any other places besides and H&M where I could get a suit like that? There aren't any in my area. I also have a wedding to go to, and my suits are all boxy loose. Its this Sat.
A suit for that price or the one I showed in the pic? If it's the pic, it is not really an H&M suit, just a picture for preference. As for theprice, threre really isn't any place that you could get a suit for less than $150 that fits decently.$300-$400 might be a more workable budget.

Back
Top Bottom