Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

i just hit h+m tonight they stay out of my size.
smh.gif

luckyluciano, the biggest size i saw up there was a 42 in pants.

Yeah, I'll post some pics later on today.

And just to let you guys know, the suit jackets run very small.

I wear about a 32/34R but i bought a 38R in the H&M suit jacket

The sleeves run a little long, but that has more to do with my short arms haha, so i'll have to get that tailored.

and for the pants, i'd go a size or two up. Their regular fit fits slimmer than usual.

And unless you're 10 feet tall, you're most likely gonna have to get them hemmed.

Just to give you guys an idea
I bought the Regular fitting black suit
the Suit jacket was 38R (usually a 32/34R)
the pants were size 32 (usually wear a 30)

I'm 5'5/5'6
135 LBS
with a wide frame and muscular build.(i sound so full of myself
smh.gif
)

I'll try to get pics up after work
happy.gif

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

i just hit h+m tonight they stay out of my size.
smh.gif

luckyluciano, the biggest size i saw up there was a 42 in pants.

oh ok, I never messed with H&M cause they don't really have much stuff I care for, I`m 6'3 220-230 so I`m trying to see if its worth me takingthe trip over there.

yea, i just started going there. for the price you cant beat it, just dry clean it all and it will be good for a while. i think you'll be able to findsome stuff that will fit there.

Alrighty, as I promised, pictures.

The suit has not been tailored and hemmed yet, so this is how it fits on a 5'6 dude.
(38R jacket, 32R pants)

The picture quality isn't that great cause I lost my good camera
ohwell.gif

and yes, I am quite short.

Pants

Jacket

Front

Side

How long the sleeve comes down.

so one question before i go, how much of the dress shirt should be showing if my arm is straight down?

an inch?

hope the pics help!

smile.gif

No offense, but since I've been playing GoldenEye a lot, a first glance you remind me of OddJob.

Anyone ever mess with them Meroma or what ever suits they sell at Target? I seen one in GQ and they look pretty decent, but I think they run more then theH&M suits.

Derrty, that suit looks like it fits well by the shoulders but it certainly looks real long, no just the sleeves, overall. When you bring it to a tailor, askif the overall length can be shorten a bit. Get the pants slimmed down a bit as well but you did say it is slim enough already, so to get the slim effect, haveit tapered from the knees down.

As for the sleeves, no more than an inch but about half an inch is ideal, persona preference.

Lucky, those Merona suits are horrible. I was just at Target this weekend and I tried it on and it just ahs a horrible fit, probably beyond alterations.Material sucks too. Like I said before when it was posted here (I think you saw the same one posted here a couple of pages ago) that those models had it highlyaltered to fit and look real good. Very misleading.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Derrty, that suit looks like it fits well by the shoulders but it certainly looks real long, no just the sleeves, overall. When you bring it to a tailor, ask if the overall length can be shorten a bit. Get the pants slimmed down a bit as well but you did say it is slim enough already, so to get the slim effect, have it tapered from the knees down.

As for the sleeves, no more than an inch but about half an inch is ideal, persona preference.

Lucky, those Merona suits are horrible. I was just at Target this weekend and I tried it on and it just ahs a horrible fit, probably beyond alterations. Material sucks too. Like I said before when it was posted here (I think you saw the same one posted here a couple of pages ago) that those models had it highly altered to fit and look real good. Very misleading.

haha I figured, but I haven't really shopped at Target in yrs and people have been hyping up Target lately talking about their clothing is top qualityfor the price. Me being a big dude, I can't really do the super slip look because it seems it might be uncomfortable after a while and I`m down south soit's really hot. I saw this one sick Seersucker suit I was thinking about copping, what exactly is the diff between a 48 and a 48L? Because the two suits Ihave are 48Ls and they had to alter the pants mainly because they were huge, and I`m prolly going to take my jacket in to have to cuffs taken back about halfan inch.

48L, the "L" stands for long. Let me give you an example, it is for men who are tall with long arms and long legs but has a skinny build or not sobroad shoulder. It is to accomodate that demographic. It is not just the sleeves that are long though, the overall length of the suit is long. The same goeswith a 40S, "S" stands for short and works in vice versa as the "L".

Look at Derrty's suit/pics above, he got a 38R but it is long, so for his build, a 38S would ahve been more sufficient. it would shorten the length andwill only have to alter the sleeves.

48L, the "L" stands for long. Let me give you an example, it is for men who are tall with long arms and long legs but has a skinny build or not so broad shoulder. It is to accomodate that demographic. It is not just the sleeves that are long though, the overall length of the suit is long. The same goes with a 40S, "S" stands for short and works in vice versa as the "L".

Look at Derrty's suit/pics above, he got a 38R but it is long, so for his build, a 38S would ahve been more sufficient. it would shorten the length and will only have to alter the sleeves.

oh I know what means L, I meant like how much of a diffrence length wise, because the pants for my 48:L suits had to be shortened and the waist had to betaken in. The seer sucker suit I`m looking at is a 48R though and I`m 6'3 so Idk how that will go, and its not liek I can try it on because Its online.

As someone who is 6'3 1/2, I often have to decide between an 44R vs 44L. Because I have very broad shoulders for the most part I go with the R. I'm notsure really what height you should start wearing long suits, but it may have more to do with being lanky as RFX45 stated. For example a really skinny personwho is my height may be better off getting a 40L, because the length on a smaller suit size will generally be shorter.

Of course try both on and see what works best for you. The shoulders/chest and jacket length are really the most important things that MUST fit when buying asuit. Most other areas can be altered somewhat to better fit your exact measurements.

RFX: at what height/build do you generally recommend looking at long suits?

This thing turned into the "Ask RFX" thread.
laugh.gif

You're doing a great job man. Keep it up.

I say about 6'3" or taller btu it also depends on how long your arms are. Like Kevin Durant and Lamar Odom, those guys has to wear theirs long and Ihave seen some skinny guys at around 6'2" that ahs to settler fro long because of their arms length. It really is up to the person. For the most part,an athletic built person (not skinny athletic like most basketball players, but built like Fisher) doesn't have long arms so they can do with a size"R".

Lucky, why do you have "L" sized suits? have you tried a regular? Most of the time, that might fit you much better.

I say about 6'3" or taller btu it also depends on how long your arms are. Like Kevin Durant and Lamar Odom, those guys has to wear theirs long and I have seen some skinny guys at around 6'2" that ahs to settler fro long because of their arms length. It really is up to the person. For the most part, an athletic built person (not skinny athletic like most basketball players, but built like Fisher) doesn't have long arms so they can do with a size "R".

Lucky, why do you have "L" sized suits? have you tried a regular? Most of the time, that might fit you much better.
Yea I`m Athletic built, I figured that me being 6'3 a L would be ideal but I`m not lanky, I was a football player so I still have my Athleticframe. One thing I am worried about is buying some Ralph Lauren Sportscoats from their sites because I hear that run slim, and Big and Tall items are to bigfor me usually.

I still say try the R first.

Don't worry about RL, they don't fit slim at all unless you get the Black or Purple Label. Just get your regular size and you'd be set.

Derrty, that suit looks like it fits well by the shoulders but it certainly looks real long, no just the sleeves, overall. When you bring it to a tailor, ask if the overall length can be shorten a bit. Get the pants slimmed down a bit as well but you did say it is slim enough already, so to get the slim effect, have it tapered from the knees down.

Lucky, those Merona suits are horrible. I was just at Target this weekend and I tried it on and it just ahs a horrible fit, probably beyond alterations. Material sucks too. Like I said before when it was posted here (I think you saw the same one posted here a couple of pages ago) that those models had it highly altered to fit and look real good. Very misleading.
Thanks for the tips.

I knew the jacket felt a little long when i bought it but i couldn't find a 38s
ohwell.gif

What exactly does the taper do for the pants?

does it slim it down without actually slimming it down (if that makes sense
laugh.gif
)

^^ Yup, tapering makes it narrower. Most slacks or dress pants looks baggy because it is a straight leg. CHeck out the difference in these pics. The first onelooks similar to the pants you have, yours is probably slightly slimmer. Look at the pic on the right, the pants are a lot slimmer. In your case though, as yousaid it is already slim (probably by the thigh), getting it tapered from the knee down will make it look a lot slimmer.

Here's the tip on the first page for short guys and suits:

The 5 Tips Every Short Man Should Know
1) Be honest with yourself. Admit you're short and buy short-length suits.
2) A pant leg with very little break will help you look taller.
3) Show some cuff to lengthen the look of your arms.
4) A peak lapel helps elongate your physique.
5) A lower button stance creates long lines, and that essentially stretches you out.
Suit, $2,120, by Gucci. Shirt, $250, by Ralph Lauren Black Label. Tie, $210, by Dolce & Gabbana. Shoes, $1,100 by Hermés.

A Belt Makes You Look Shorter…
The more pared-down you are, the taller you'll appear. So ditch the belt. Going beltless looks cool, and if your suit fits properly, your pants will stay in place.

Short Man, Slim Shoe
You don't want to look like you've got weights around your ankles. Wear slender shoes.

yea those merona suits are pure garbage. i annihilated a pair of merona suit pants in less than 2 weeks. they also fit like jncos.

Just came back from the mall, went to H & M, they had a couple blk, blk pinstripe, khaki linen & 1 navy suit. Not that many sizes, I just picked up apinstripe vest with matching pants and I was so lucky that the only pants left was my size. Will post pics later but I haven't bought a shirt and tie yet.Whats the suggestion white shirt & black tie?

Back
Top Bottom