Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

Aramis turned down 12 million bucks? I know the Cubs suck, but he's not gonna get that much money anywhere. He better hope he can get an incentive laden deal and he plays his %@+ off.

Aramis turned down 12 million bucks? I know the Cubs suck, but he's not gonna get that much money anywhere. He better hope he can get an incentive laden deal and he plays his %@+ off.

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif
I'll edit it out. It's these goddamn links/pictures they post in their articles on ESPN, it posts the whole damn link when I try to paste.
Yuku is the worst for that, but there's a way to get around it. You can type some random +@%$ like "jdfsjkafns" and quote that, then delete the random letters and paste the article inside the empty quote box.
I thought I was the only one who did that...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif
I'll edit it out. It's these goddamn links/pictures they post in their articles on ESPN, it posts the whole damn link when I try to paste.
Yuku is the worst for that, but there's a way to get around it. You can type some random +@%$ like "jdfsjkafns" and quote that, then delete the random letters and paste the article inside the empty quote box.
I thought I was the only one who did that...
laugh.gif

Thanks for all of that - interesting, especially for the teams I dont know as much about.

I just hope the Rockies do something this offseason relatively major - either a top of the rotation guy or a big bat. they only have tulo, cargo and ubaldo for about 3 more years, so they need to capitalize on that and make the most of this time even if it means giving up some talented prospects.

Thanks for all of that - interesting, especially for the teams I dont know as much about.

I just hope the Rockies do something this offseason relatively major - either a top of the rotation guy or a big bat. they only have tulo, cargo and ubaldo for about 3 more years, so they need to capitalize on that and make the most of this time even if it means giving up some talented prospects.

On Monday, I wrote about relief prospect http:///sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fantasy?playerId=30954">http://sports.espn.go.com...s/fantasy?playerId=30954')">Jeremy Jeffress, noting that his performances have been a little uneven at the Arizona Fall League. Well, as those quotes from my fellow scouts attest, Tuesday was a good day for the http:///espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/mil/milwaukee-brewers">http://espn.go.com/mlb/te...me/mil/milwaukee-brewers')">Milwaukee Brewers right-hander.

Fittingly, the day after I write that blog entry, I'm sitting among a group of scouts watching Jeffress throw two innings. Some of them had not seen him yet at the AFL, and some had seen him multiple times, and Jeffress' stuff Tuesday drew some audible excitement from both groups. Quite simply, it was the best pure stuff he had shown here, and thus it warranted an update.

fan_a_jjefftsin_200.jpg

AP Photo/Al BehrmanJeffress got a cup of coffee with the Brewers in September.

Jeffress hit triple digits on the gun a couple times Tuesday and threw mostly in the 96-98 mph range. Also, he dropped in a couple of "hammer curves," which were in somewhat short supply when I've seen him before.

What was most interesting about Jeffress' fastball was the life on it at such a high velocity. Not only does it appear to jump out of his hand, but he occasionally got solid late tailing action on it, causing one scout to say aloud with a laugh, "So, the ol' 96-mph two-seamer." Jeffress then ended his first inning of work with another 96-mph heater that actually had some cutting action to it. He also threw another one of those in his second frame.

We were referring to those instances as "happy accidents," because he wasn't trying to make the ball do those things. But still, it was happening, and it made his high-velocity pitches that much tougher to hit. It's not just a plus fastball, it's a lively plus fastball.

Let me be clear, there are still plenty of inconsistent things about Jeffress' game right now, as I wrote Monday. He needs to be "on" a bit more from outing to outing. He also needs more fastball command, and he needs to show that hard rotation in his curve more often. However, the ease of his delivery gives him a chance to do both of those things a little better, and the quality of his raw stuff is such that he can make mistakes and still get outs.

The bottom line is Tuesday's outing was the most encouraging sign yet that Jeffress is not far off from a late-inning role in a big league bullpen, which should make him of interest to fantasy owners.

• I've been asked a couple of times about http:///espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants">http://espn.go.com/mlb/te.../sf/san-francisco-giants')">San Francisco Giants second baseman Charlie Culberson. I'm planning on doing a full report on him next week, but in the meantime, it's worth noting that he has been tearing the cover off the ball at the AFL, hitting .403 and slugging .694 in 62 at-bats.

I freely admit that entering the AFL, I had projected Culberson as a kind of "tweener" prospect. I wasn't taking the solid numbers he put up in the Class A Cal League in 2010 too seriously, but having gotten a more extended look at him, I was short-changing him. I think he has the stick to potentially be a solid offensive player in the major leagues. The biggest thing for fantasy owners who play in dynasty leagues to consider is the depth of minor league prospects at second base; is in, it's not very deep relative to other positions. Given that context, he needs to be firmly on fantasy radar screens. He's at least in the top 10 right now among prospects at the position.

• I need to make a correction to my earlier Tyler Pastornicky profile. I was discussing him with another scout at length on Tuesday, and then realized I had written that Pastornicky was a 70 runner on the 20-to-80 scouting scale. After timing him multiple times, Pastornicky grades out to a 60 on raw speed, although you could probably bump his overall running grade to a 65 given his relative youth, the way he runs once he gets going (particularly evident making the turn at first base and going from first to third), and his developing instincts. It doesn't really change his profile in any way, as he's still going to be a strong stolen base threat if he gets regular playing time. He still must develop his hitting enough to stick as a big league regular, and not get labeled as a utility guy.

I'll be back next week with full profiles of Culberson and Eric Hosmer.

http://[h3]
[h3]Jeter's value[/h3]
2:03PM ET

[h5]Derek Jeter | Yankees [/h5]

The New York Yankees and Derek Jeter spent the entire season refusing to publicly discuss any of the upcoming negotiations to retain the franchise shortstop. That's why it seems odd that both sides have been curiously public over the last few days.

In an interview with Michael Kay on 1050 ESPN Radio, Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees' managing partner, said that the team would not be offering a blank check.

Steinbrenner was unable to put a time frame on how long negotiations would take or hazard a guess on how smoothly they would go. "Both parties need to be happy with the deal, and that may make things more complicated, I don't know. There's always the possibility that things could get messy."

Agent Casey Close, shot back on Wednesday, telling AOL FanHouse that the shortstop's value to the Yankees "cannot be overstated."

Jeter's 10-year, $189 million deal has come to a close at the end of the season and the Yankees face the delicate task of negotiating a new deal. Jeter, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman, will apparently ask the Yankees for a six-year contract, which sounds a few years too long for a 37-year-old.

Meanwhile, Mark Feinsand of the Daily News says Jeter will likely push for a four-year deal that would take him through his 40th birthday.

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tom Tango[/h5]
What's Jeter worth?
"Last year, Placido Polanco got a three-year, $18 million deal. That's roughly where Jeter is right now. The maximum deal in terms of matching historic expectations would be four years, $40 million. The Yanks could easily end up on the hook for five years, $60 million. That's overpaying. It's been a fantastic career, but it's time to wind down that clock."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Ramirez could be trade bait[/h3]
1:58PM ET

[h5]Aramis Ramirez | Cubs [/h5]

Aramis Ramirez exercised his player option for 2011 that will pay him $14.6 million, but the Chicago Cubs could be inclined to trade the third baseman.

The Cubs have needs in the outfield, at second base, first base and a number of unsettled jobs on the pitching staff outside the closer role. Ramirez, and his salary, could be used to plug multiple holes, and there may be some teams out there that see Ramirez as a better plan than giving Adrian Beltre, the top free agent third baseman, four or five years and $50 million or more.

The Boston Red Sox are one of those clubs, especially if they believe Kevin Youkilis is best suited to remain at first base rather than transitioning back to third. The Los Angeles Angeles, who are expected to at least kick the tires on Beltre, could be interested in trading for Ramirez, too, as they seek improvement in the middle of their batting order and fill the gap at third.

If they can come up with the money, the Twins might also be a fit, and the champion Giants could see Ramirez, who is also owed a $2 million buyout on his 2012 option, as a better choice than re-signing Juan Uribe.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Fish offer Uggla four years[/h3]
1:50PM ET

[h5]Dan Uggla | Marlins [/h5]

UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets Thursday that the Marlins have offered Uggla four years, which would start with an $8 million salary next season, but that Uggla is holding out for five years.

----

UPDATE: Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post has learned from Uggla's agent that there has been movement in the talks between the two sides.

Perhaps the Marlins improved their offer from three years to four or five, or upped the salary on their annual offer, but no details were shared.

----

Dan Uggla had career highs in home runs (33) and batting average (.287), but last we checked, things were a little melancholy in Miami given the uncertainty around his future.

What we know is Uggla's camp is seeking somewhere in the range of 5 years at $56-58 million, and the Marlins are more interested in 3 years at aboti $30 million. It'll be a big gap to bridge. This year, Uggla made $7.8 million, so arbitration would put him over $10 million for 2011, meaning there's a good chance the Marlins either hammer out a new deal with him or he's elsewhere.

Right now we think it's a 50/50 proposition. Uggla won't get the $50 million-plus he wants from Florida, but they might come close. Some of the reservation on the Marlins' side? Uggla will be 31 by the time spring training games get going.

http://[h3]Update on Peavy[/h3]
1:46PM ET

[h5]Jake Peavy | White Sox [/h5]

Chicago White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy is recovering from a rare shoulder injury, and may start light throwing soon in hopes to build up enough strength to throw off a mound in January.

The White Sox rotation is covered with Edwin Jackson, John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Mark Buehrle set to return and the plans to use last June's first-round draft pick Chris Sale as a starter in 2011. But the questions surrounding Peavy's time table could impact how GM Kenny Williams approaches the winter.

There are no indications, however, that Williams would go after a pricey starter such as Cliff Lee or Carl Pavano, and may instead use the financial resources available to shore up the lineup where they may lose Paul Konerko.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Crasnick: Nats could target Lee[/h3]
12:39PM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers | Interested: Nationals? [/h5]

While the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees are the obvious frontrunners for marquee free agent starter Cliff Lee, sources say the Washington Nationals are a potential sleeper team in the competition to land Lee.

"They're going to step up and try to get a top free agent," one baseball insider told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. "They'd like to make a splash."

The Nationals are looking for a top-end veteran starter, and Lee would help sell some tickets and fill the enthusiasm void in Washington while Stephen Strasburg recovers from Tommy John surgery. If the Nationals fail to land Lee, they'll look for pitching elsewhere on the free agent market or try to swing a deal for a James Shields, Matt Garza or another starter who might be available in trade. One problem is, the Nats have no interest in parting with young middle infielders Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa, so GM Mike Rizzo's trade chips are limited.

http://[h3]Young wants to stay in San Diego[/h3]
10:49AM ET

[h5]Chris Young | Padres [/h5]

The San Diego Padres are willing to bring back right-hander Chris Young, but not at the cost of an $8.5 million option that was declined Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Young missed most of the last two seasons while battling shoulder issues that required surgery. He did enhance his market value with a solid performance in three starts down the stretch (1.29 ERA).

Young has enjoyed his tenure in San Diego, earning an All-Star berth in 2007, and wants to return. Bill Center of the Union-Tribune says Young's best offer could come from another organization.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]-backs close door on Webb[/h3]
10:32AM ET

[h5]Brandon Webb | Diamondbacks [/h5]

Brandon Webb was among the five Diamondbacks who officially became a free agent at the end of the World Series and it is abundantly clear that the former Cy Young Award winner has thrown his last pitch for the Diamondbacks.

A report on FoxSportsArizona.com said Diamondbacks have had no conversations with Webb about a new contract, and they do not plan to initiate talks moving forward.

The D-backs issued a statement that did not officially close the door on bringing back Webb, but it read like the odds were slim to none.

Webb pitched only once in the last two seasons due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. Webb faces a similar situation to that of Ben Sheets, who missed all of 2009 season due to injury but still managed to get a one-year, $10 million deal with the Athletics last winter.

Sheets was 4-9 barely made it past the All-Star break this season before breaking down, and that could be a lesson for teams looking at Webb.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will Huff stay by the Bay?[/h3]
10:25AM ET

[h5]Aubrey Huff | Giants [/h5]

Wednesday was a day to celebrate for Aubrey Huff, who stole the show at the Giants World Series victory parade by raising his celebrated rally thong.

At some point in the next few days, Huff will get back to business and the general feeling is that he and the Giants have mutual interest in working out a new contract. A decision is not expected before the exclusive negotiating period that ended Sunday, but that is not a red flag because the team's offseason business was put on hold by a deep playoff run.

The 33-year-old Huff didn't receive any other offers last winter before accepting $3 million to become a Giant. He went on to drive in 86 runs and Giants president Larry Baer said earlier this week that retaining Huff was a high priority.

Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News notes that Huff fired his agency, SFX, earlier this season. He could represent himself in negotiations, which often points to a quicker resolution.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Has Reyes lost a step?[/h3]
10:07AM ET

[h5]Jose Reyes | Mets [/h5]

The first notable contract move for Mets general manager Sandy Alderson was an expected one. An $11 million option for 2011 with shortstop Jose Reyes was exercised Wednesday, and the attention turns to the possibility of a multi-year extension.

The 27-year-old Reyes debuted with the Mets as a teenager and has been with the club since. Over the summer, Reyes stated his desire to finish his career in Queens.

Alderson is reshaping the Mets' franchise to his liking and the beginning of his tenure could be defined on what he does or does not do with Reyes, an exceptionally talented but sometimes inconsistent player. As Andy Martino of the Daily News points out, signing Reyes to a multi-year deal makes Reyes more valuable not only to the Mets but to any team that is looking to add a shortstop for the long term.

Reyes missed most of the 2009 season with various leg injuries, and some in the baseball community wonder whether he has lost a step. "He's definitely not as fast as he was in 2006. You can see that," an unnamed rival player of the Mets told Martino.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Handicapping the Lee race[/h3]
9:44AM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers [/h5]

The Texas Rangers have exclusive negotiating rights with Cliff Lee until this weekend. That is a mere formality since there is no way that the star lefthander would sign before listening to what the New York Yankees have to say.

The Yankees have a history of sparing no expense and all signs point to them employing a full court press to sign Lee. In fact, Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to pursue outfielders Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, another indication that their free agent dollars are targeted at Lee.

Even with the Yankees in hot pursuit, no one is counting the Rangers out. According to Wednesday's New York Times, the Rangers have a reasonable shot at landing Lee because of their new ownership group and declining team debt.

Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com said he thinks the Rangers' lengthy playoff run may have given them an edge in the Lee sweepstakes, but that doesn't mean he will be willing to give any hometown discount. The relative proximity to his Arkansas home is another factor in Texas' favor.

Our Tim Kurkjian gives his take:

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tim Kurkjian[/h5]
Yankees, Rangers leaders for Lee
"In his past 42 starts, he has played for four different teams and been handled by 10 different catchers. By mid-December, it could be five different teams. He is 32, left-handed and, despite two losses in the World Series, among the best postseason pitchers of all time. Lee has had opportunities to explore a contract extension with at least one of his most recent teams, but has resisted because he wants to experience full free agency. The New York Yankees, it would seem, will be the first and most aggressive pursuers of Lee. And the Yankees have to re-sign Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and see if they can get Andy Pettitte to pitch another season. The Rangers will have more money to spend than in previous offseasons, giving them a chance to re-sign Lee, who said after Game 5 of the World Series, "I'd love to play for the Rangers." He is, by far, the best free-agent starter out there, which should drive up his price even more, perhaps to five years at around $20 million per year."

http://[h3]Rays may keep Wheeler, Aybar[/h3]
9:23AM ET

[h5]Tampa Bay Rays [/h5]

The Rays declined options on reliever Dan Wheeler and infielder/DH Willy Aybar on Wednesday, but Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times says they could end up keeping both.

The Rays gave the 32-year-old Wheeler, who appeared in 64 games, a $1 million buyout rather than a $4 million salary, but could look to re-sign him at a lower number.

Aybar remains eligible for arbitration and the Rays seem confident that he will not earn more than the $2.2 million he would have received under the 2011 option.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will De La Rosa stay in Denver?[/h3]
9:08AM ET

[h5]Jorge De La Rosa | Rockies [/h5]

The http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/col/colorado-rockiesColorado Rockies want to re-sign free agent pitcher http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5906Jorge De La Rosa, but agent Bobby Barad isn't expecting an offer before the left-hander can begin negotiating with other teams on Sunday, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post.

De La Rosa is expected to test the free agent market, and what he is offered is anyone's guess. De La Rosa, who went 8-7 with a 4.22 ERA this season, could ask for a four- or five-year contract after the Dodgers' http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4062Ted Lilly signed a three-year, $33 million deal.

A deal may not come quickly. The market for a pitcher such as De La Rosa may not be set until http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5353Cliff Lee, the top free agent available, agrees to a deal.

As Renck points out, pitching remains a priority for the Rockies, especially after they watched their division rival in San Francisco ride a stellar starting staff to a World Series title. De La Rosa also is comfortable with pitching in Colorado, so the guess here is he stays in Denver if the offers are comparable.

Another caveat: De La Rosa is a Type A free agent, so any team that signs him will have to surrender two compensatory draft picks. That could limit his suitors as it has done in past years with reliever Juan Cruz and second baseman Orlando Hudson.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Darvish to MLB in 2012?[/h3]
8:30AM ET

[h5]Yu Darvish [/h5]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img]
Get past Cliff Lee and the market for free agent pitchers this winter is not abundantly talented. Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish may have been able to cash in on that scarcity, but it was widely reported a few weeks ago that the 24-year-old right-hander would stay in Japan.

David Lennon of Newsday tweets that Darvish decided to wait a year while he deals with a divorce back home, but would like to pitch in North America in 2012.

Darvish became a household name with his performance for Japan in the World Baseball Classic and his numbers in Japan compared favorably to those of Daisuke Matsuzaka.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Pirates narrow the field to two[/h3]
8:10AM ET

[h5]Pittsburgh Pirates [/h5]

The Pirates have narrowed their list of managerial candidates to one well-known former skipper and another who could walk into Primanti's without being recognized.

Bill Brink of the Post-Gazette reports the field is down to Clint Hurdle, who managed the Rockies to the World Series in 2007, and Jeff Banister.

Banister has been a part of the organization for the past 25 years and was the minor league field coordinator for eight years before becoming John Russell's bench coach in early August.

The Pirates needed to wait until the end of the World Series to interview Hurdle, currently the hitting coach of the Texas Rangers.

Team president Frank ****elly told Brink that the team is open to considering other candidates "if we believe that we have not yet found the best person for the job." But after talking to seven candidates, that appears unlikely.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Ortiz: no progress in talks[/h3]
7:53AM ET

[h5]David Ortiz | Red Sox [/h5]

David Ortiz is waiting for a decision from the Boston Red Sox, which must decide whether to pick up his $12.5 million option for next season or consider signing the veteran DH to an extension.

With the World Series ending Monday, the Red Sox officially have until Thursday to decide whether to pick up the option. General manager Theo Epstein has said it's team policy to take decisions all the way out to the deadline, so a decision will not come until Thursday.

Ortiz wants a multi-year deal, but told the Boston Globe that no progess has been made during talks this week.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]New deals for Washington, Daniels[/h3]
7:42AM ET

[h5]Ron Washington | Rangers [/h5]

Rangers manager Ron Washington may have faced some criticism for his handling of the bullpen during the World Series loss to the Giants, but his overall body of work can't be ignored.

According to various reports, including one by Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Washington is expected to get a new contract Thursday, probably for two or three years.

Club president Nolan Ryan said Wednesday that Washington and the team had a scheduled meeting for Thursday to discuss the new deal. Ryan said after that's done, it will be general manager Jon Daniels' turn to sign a long-term deal.

Washington will get serious consideration for AL Manager of the Year after the Rangers won 90 games and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Daniels was mentioned as a candidate for the Mets' GM vacancy that went to Sandy Alderson.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Yanks may pass on Crawford, Werth[/h3]
7:23AM ET

[h5]New York Yankees [/h5]

Even the New York Yankees have to stay within a budget.

The franchise with a history of sparing no expense is likely to stage a full-court press to land left-hander Cliff Lee, but don't expect them to land Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, the top free agent outfielders on the market.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to make a "hard charge" for Crawford or Werth. Feinsand says the solid seasons by Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher and the late-season emergence of Curtis Granderson have the Yankees convinced that paying top dollar for an outfielder isn't the most sensible way to spend their money.

A year ago, it appeared a foregone conclusion that the Yankees would pursue Crawford, who could command a six-year deal for around $15 million to $18 million per season. The absence of the Yankees would be good news for the Red Sox and Yankees, who are expected to be active in the Crawford sweepstakes.

The Yankees also need to dedicate some time to re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, so it will be a busy offseason in the Bronx.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Melvin, Jauss first up for Mets[/h3]
7:02AM ET

[h5]New York Mets [/h5]

More than a month after the end of the season, the http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-metsNew York Mets will begin interviews for their vacant managerial position Thursday.

In-house candidates Bob Melvin and Dave Jauss will open the process, the team announced, while Wally Backman and Chip Hale are expected to follow. Melvin was a finalist for the Milwaukee job that went to Ron Roenicke.

The main reason for the delay, of course, was the lengthy process of deciding on general manager Sandy Alderson, who said Friday he hoped to make a decision on a manager within 30 days.

Other names rumored to be on the Mets' radar include Clint Hurdle, Lee Mazzilli and Pete Mackanin. The Mets would seemingly have to act quickly on Hurdle, who also is being courted by the Pirates.

Following the new manager's progress won't be as costly after the Mets announced that 2011 ticket prices will be slashed by an average of 14 percent.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Cabrera looking for new home[/h3]
6:37AM ET

[h5]Orlando Cabrera | Reds [/h5]

The http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-redsCincinnati Reds were one of baseball's bargains in 2010, taking an Opening Day payroll of $72 million and advancing to the postseason for the first time in 15 years. There is a promising future for Reds fans, but that doesn't mean the team will be spending lavishly.

A case in point will be at shortstop, where http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3739Orlando Cabrera hit a respectable .263. The Reds declined a $4 million option on Cabrera Wednesday, a clear sign that the team plans to hand the shortstop job to Paul Janish, who is better defensively and showed improvedment at the plate, hitting a career-best .260.

Finding a new home should be nothing new to Cabrera, who has played for a different team each of the last five seasons. He has played in the playoffs each of the last four seasons, so he is doing something right.

One possibility could be San Francisco if Edgar Renteria decides to retire and free agent Juan Uribe lands elsewhere.

- Doug Mittler

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will Vlad be back in Texas?[/h3]
6:09AM ET

[h5]Vladimir Guerrero | Rangers [/h5]

At some point, Vladimir Guerrero should look back fondly on the chance of finally getting a taste of the World Series after waiting 14 big league seasons. Just not right now.

Guerrero went 1-for-14 with no homers and two RBI against the Giants and added a dismal night out in right field in Game One at AT&T Park. In Monday's finale, Guerrero went 0-for-4 with three first-pitch outs.

Vlad's struggles may impact whether the Rangers are willing to bring the 36-year-old back in 2011, writes Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News.

The Rangers decided Wednesday to decline Vlad's $9 million option, but still expressed an interest at bringing him back.

Guerrero bounced back with a huge regular season, hitting .300 and driving in 115 runs, but that might not be enough for him to get a multi-year deal.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Closer money[/h3]
5:50AM ET

[h5]Free Agent Closers [/h5]

[h5]Free Agent Closers [h5][/h5][/h5]

We often talk about late-inning relievers and how there is a difference between closer dollars and the money a setup man or situational reliever makes. And that difference is still likely to be there this winter as the plethora of relief pitchers hit the open market next week.

But a closer look reveals that closers haven't been getting enormous contract the past two or three years, and there are times when setup arms are given contract very similar to that of some clubs' closers.

Francisco Rodriguez and Brandon Lyon received three-year deals to close; K-ROD got $37 million guaranteed and Lyon $15 million. Just about every other closer signed for one or two years, with Rafael Soriano and Trevor Hoffman getting one-year deals two years in a row and neither exceed the $7.5 million Hoffman made this past season.

Last winter, Mike Gonzalez signed in Baltimore for two years and $12 million and Jose Valverde receive a 2-year, $14 million deal with a $9 million team option for a third season. After the 2008 season, when Rodriguez got his big contract, Brian Fuentes received two-years and $17.5 million, despite a similar track record as Valverde.

Clubs appear to be realizing that spending big money on relievers -- and giving them long-term contracts -- is not the wisest way to build a bullpen or spread the payroll around a roster.

This doesn't bode well for this winter's crop.

On Monday, I wrote about relief prospect http:///sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fantasy?playerId=30954">http://sports.espn.go.com...s/fantasy?playerId=30954')">Jeremy Jeffress, noting that his performances have been a little uneven at the Arizona Fall League. Well, as those quotes from my fellow scouts attest, Tuesday was a good day for the http:///espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/mil/milwaukee-brewers">http://espn.go.com/mlb/te...me/mil/milwaukee-brewers')">Milwaukee Brewers right-hander.

Fittingly, the day after I write that blog entry, I'm sitting among a group of scouts watching Jeffress throw two innings. Some of them had not seen him yet at the AFL, and some had seen him multiple times, and Jeffress' stuff Tuesday drew some audible excitement from both groups. Quite simply, it was the best pure stuff he had shown here, and thus it warranted an update.

fan_a_jjefftsin_200.jpg

AP Photo/Al BehrmanJeffress got a cup of coffee with the Brewers in September.

Jeffress hit triple digits on the gun a couple times Tuesday and threw mostly in the 96-98 mph range. Also, he dropped in a couple of "hammer curves," which were in somewhat short supply when I've seen him before.

What was most interesting about Jeffress' fastball was the life on it at such a high velocity. Not only does it appear to jump out of his hand, but he occasionally got solid late tailing action on it, causing one scout to say aloud with a laugh, "So, the ol' 96-mph two-seamer." Jeffress then ended his first inning of work with another 96-mph heater that actually had some cutting action to it. He also threw another one of those in his second frame.

We were referring to those instances as "happy accidents," because he wasn't trying to make the ball do those things. But still, it was happening, and it made his high-velocity pitches that much tougher to hit. It's not just a plus fastball, it's a lively plus fastball.

Let me be clear, there are still plenty of inconsistent things about Jeffress' game right now, as I wrote Monday. He needs to be "on" a bit more from outing to outing. He also needs more fastball command, and he needs to show that hard rotation in his curve more often. However, the ease of his delivery gives him a chance to do both of those things a little better, and the quality of his raw stuff is such that he can make mistakes and still get outs.

The bottom line is Tuesday's outing was the most encouraging sign yet that Jeffress is not far off from a late-inning role in a big league bullpen, which should make him of interest to fantasy owners.

• I've been asked a couple of times about http:///espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/sf/san-francisco-giants">http://espn.go.com/mlb/te.../sf/san-francisco-giants')">San Francisco Giants second baseman Charlie Culberson. I'm planning on doing a full report on him next week, but in the meantime, it's worth noting that he has been tearing the cover off the ball at the AFL, hitting .403 and slugging .694 in 62 at-bats.

I freely admit that entering the AFL, I had projected Culberson as a kind of "tweener" prospect. I wasn't taking the solid numbers he put up in the Class A Cal League in 2010 too seriously, but having gotten a more extended look at him, I was short-changing him. I think he has the stick to potentially be a solid offensive player in the major leagues. The biggest thing for fantasy owners who play in dynasty leagues to consider is the depth of minor league prospects at second base; is in, it's not very deep relative to other positions. Given that context, he needs to be firmly on fantasy radar screens. He's at least in the top 10 right now among prospects at the position.

• I need to make a correction to my earlier Tyler Pastornicky profile. I was discussing him with another scout at length on Tuesday, and then realized I had written that Pastornicky was a 70 runner on the 20-to-80 scouting scale. After timing him multiple times, Pastornicky grades out to a 60 on raw speed, although you could probably bump his overall running grade to a 65 given his relative youth, the way he runs once he gets going (particularly evident making the turn at first base and going from first to third), and his developing instincts. It doesn't really change his profile in any way, as he's still going to be a strong stolen base threat if he gets regular playing time. He still must develop his hitting enough to stick as a big league regular, and not get labeled as a utility guy.

I'll be back next week with full profiles of Culberson and Eric Hosmer.

http://[h3]
[h3]Jeter's value[/h3]
2:03PM ET

[h5]Derek Jeter | Yankees [/h5]

The New York Yankees and Derek Jeter spent the entire season refusing to publicly discuss any of the upcoming negotiations to retain the franchise shortstop. That's why it seems odd that both sides have been curiously public over the last few days.

In an interview with Michael Kay on 1050 ESPN Radio, Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees' managing partner, said that the team would not be offering a blank check.

Steinbrenner was unable to put a time frame on how long negotiations would take or hazard a guess on how smoothly they would go. "Both parties need to be happy with the deal, and that may make things more complicated, I don't know. There's always the possibility that things could get messy."

Agent Casey Close, shot back on Wednesday, telling AOL FanHouse that the shortstop's value to the Yankees "cannot be overstated."

Jeter's 10-year, $189 million deal has come to a close at the end of the season and the Yankees face the delicate task of negotiating a new deal. Jeter, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman, will apparently ask the Yankees for a six-year contract, which sounds a few years too long for a 37-year-old.

Meanwhile, Mark Feinsand of the Daily News says Jeter will likely push for a four-year deal that would take him through his 40th birthday.

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tom Tango[/h5]
What's Jeter worth?
"Last year, Placido Polanco got a three-year, $18 million deal. That's roughly where Jeter is right now. The maximum deal in terms of matching historic expectations would be four years, $40 million. The Yanks could easily end up on the hook for five years, $60 million. That's overpaying. It's been a fantastic career, but it's time to wind down that clock."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Ramirez could be trade bait[/h3]
1:58PM ET

[h5]Aramis Ramirez | Cubs [/h5]

Aramis Ramirez exercised his player option for 2011 that will pay him $14.6 million, but the Chicago Cubs could be inclined to trade the third baseman.

The Cubs have needs in the outfield, at second base, first base and a number of unsettled jobs on the pitching staff outside the closer role. Ramirez, and his salary, could be used to plug multiple holes, and there may be some teams out there that see Ramirez as a better plan than giving Adrian Beltre, the top free agent third baseman, four or five years and $50 million or more.

The Boston Red Sox are one of those clubs, especially if they believe Kevin Youkilis is best suited to remain at first base rather than transitioning back to third. The Los Angeles Angeles, who are expected to at least kick the tires on Beltre, could be interested in trading for Ramirez, too, as they seek improvement in the middle of their batting order and fill the gap at third.

If they can come up with the money, the Twins might also be a fit, and the champion Giants could see Ramirez, who is also owed a $2 million buyout on his 2012 option, as a better choice than re-signing Juan Uribe.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Fish offer Uggla four years[/h3]
1:50PM ET

[h5]Dan Uggla | Marlins [/h5]

UPDATE: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets Thursday that the Marlins have offered Uggla four years, which would start with an $8 million salary next season, but that Uggla is holding out for five years.

----

UPDATE: Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post has learned from Uggla's agent that there has been movement in the talks between the two sides.

Perhaps the Marlins improved their offer from three years to four or five, or upped the salary on their annual offer, but no details were shared.

----

Dan Uggla had career highs in home runs (33) and batting average (.287), but last we checked, things were a little melancholy in Miami given the uncertainty around his future.

What we know is Uggla's camp is seeking somewhere in the range of 5 years at $56-58 million, and the Marlins are more interested in 3 years at aboti $30 million. It'll be a big gap to bridge. This year, Uggla made $7.8 million, so arbitration would put him over $10 million for 2011, meaning there's a good chance the Marlins either hammer out a new deal with him or he's elsewhere.

Right now we think it's a 50/50 proposition. Uggla won't get the $50 million-plus he wants from Florida, but they might come close. Some of the reservation on the Marlins' side? Uggla will be 31 by the time spring training games get going.

http://[h3]Update on Peavy[/h3]
1:46PM ET

[h5]Jake Peavy | White Sox [/h5]

Chicago White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy is recovering from a rare shoulder injury, and may start light throwing soon in hopes to build up enough strength to throw off a mound in January.

The White Sox rotation is covered with Edwin Jackson, John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Mark Buehrle set to return and the plans to use last June's first-round draft pick Chris Sale as a starter in 2011. But the questions surrounding Peavy's time table could impact how GM Kenny Williams approaches the winter.

There are no indications, however, that Williams would go after a pricey starter such as Cliff Lee or Carl Pavano, and may instead use the financial resources available to shore up the lineup where they may lose Paul Konerko.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Crasnick: Nats could target Lee[/h3]
12:39PM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers | Interested: Nationals? [/h5]

While the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees are the obvious frontrunners for marquee free agent starter Cliff Lee, sources say the Washington Nationals are a potential sleeper team in the competition to land Lee.

"They're going to step up and try to get a top free agent," one baseball insider told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. "They'd like to make a splash."

The Nationals are looking for a top-end veteran starter, and Lee would help sell some tickets and fill the enthusiasm void in Washington while Stephen Strasburg recovers from Tommy John surgery. If the Nationals fail to land Lee, they'll look for pitching elsewhere on the free agent market or try to swing a deal for a James Shields, Matt Garza or another starter who might be available in trade. One problem is, the Nats have no interest in parting with young middle infielders Ian Desmond and Danny Espinosa, so GM Mike Rizzo's trade chips are limited.

http://[h3]Young wants to stay in San Diego[/h3]
10:49AM ET

[h5]Chris Young | Padres [/h5]

The San Diego Padres are willing to bring back right-hander Chris Young, but not at the cost of an $8.5 million option that was declined Wednesday.

The 31-year-old Young missed most of the last two seasons while battling shoulder issues that required surgery. He did enhance his market value with a solid performance in three starts down the stretch (1.29 ERA).

Young has enjoyed his tenure in San Diego, earning an All-Star berth in 2007, and wants to return. Bill Center of the Union-Tribune says Young's best offer could come from another organization.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]-backs close door on Webb[/h3]
10:32AM ET

[h5]Brandon Webb | Diamondbacks [/h5]

Brandon Webb was among the five Diamondbacks who officially became a free agent at the end of the World Series and it is abundantly clear that the former Cy Young Award winner has thrown his last pitch for the Diamondbacks.

A report on FoxSportsArizona.com said Diamondbacks have had no conversations with Webb about a new contract, and they do not plan to initiate talks moving forward.

The D-backs issued a statement that did not officially close the door on bringing back Webb, but it read like the odds were slim to none.

Webb pitched only once in the last two seasons due to a shoulder injury that required surgery. Webb faces a similar situation to that of Ben Sheets, who missed all of 2009 season due to injury but still managed to get a one-year, $10 million deal with the Athletics last winter.

Sheets was 4-9 barely made it past the All-Star break this season before breaking down, and that could be a lesson for teams looking at Webb.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will Huff stay by the Bay?[/h3]
10:25AM ET

[h5]Aubrey Huff | Giants [/h5]

Wednesday was a day to celebrate for Aubrey Huff, who stole the show at the Giants World Series victory parade by raising his celebrated rally thong.

At some point in the next few days, Huff will get back to business and the general feeling is that he and the Giants have mutual interest in working out a new contract. A decision is not expected before the exclusive negotiating period that ended Sunday, but that is not a red flag because the team's offseason business was put on hold by a deep playoff run.

The 33-year-old Huff didn't receive any other offers last winter before accepting $3 million to become a Giant. He went on to drive in 86 runs and Giants president Larry Baer said earlier this week that retaining Huff was a high priority.

Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News notes that Huff fired his agency, SFX, earlier this season. He could represent himself in negotiations, which often points to a quicker resolution.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Has Reyes lost a step?[/h3]
10:07AM ET

[h5]Jose Reyes | Mets [/h5]

The first notable contract move for Mets general manager Sandy Alderson was an expected one. An $11 million option for 2011 with shortstop Jose Reyes was exercised Wednesday, and the attention turns to the possibility of a multi-year extension.

The 27-year-old Reyes debuted with the Mets as a teenager and has been with the club since. Over the summer, Reyes stated his desire to finish his career in Queens.

Alderson is reshaping the Mets' franchise to his liking and the beginning of his tenure could be defined on what he does or does not do with Reyes, an exceptionally talented but sometimes inconsistent player. As Andy Martino of the Daily News points out, signing Reyes to a multi-year deal makes Reyes more valuable not only to the Mets but to any team that is looking to add a shortstop for the long term.

Reyes missed most of the 2009 season with various leg injuries, and some in the baseball community wonder whether he has lost a step. "He's definitely not as fast as he was in 2006. You can see that," an unnamed rival player of the Mets told Martino.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Handicapping the Lee race[/h3]
9:44AM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers [/h5]

The Texas Rangers have exclusive negotiating rights with Cliff Lee until this weekend. That is a mere formality since there is no way that the star lefthander would sign before listening to what the New York Yankees have to say.

The Yankees have a history of sparing no expense and all signs point to them employing a full court press to sign Lee. In fact, Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to pursue outfielders Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, another indication that their free agent dollars are targeted at Lee.

Even with the Yankees in hot pursuit, no one is counting the Rangers out. According to Wednesday's New York Times, the Rangers have a reasonable shot at landing Lee because of their new ownership group and declining team debt.

Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com said he thinks the Rangers' lengthy playoff run may have given them an edge in the Lee sweepstakes, but that doesn't mean he will be willing to give any hometown discount. The relative proximity to his Arkansas home is another factor in Texas' favor.

Our Tim Kurkjian gives his take:

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tim Kurkjian[/h5]
Yankees, Rangers leaders for Lee
"In his past 42 starts, he has played for four different teams and been handled by 10 different catchers. By mid-December, it could be five different teams. He is 32, left-handed and, despite two losses in the World Series, among the best postseason pitchers of all time. Lee has had opportunities to explore a contract extension with at least one of his most recent teams, but has resisted because he wants to experience full free agency. The New York Yankees, it would seem, will be the first and most aggressive pursuers of Lee. And the Yankees have to re-sign Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and see if they can get Andy Pettitte to pitch another season. The Rangers will have more money to spend than in previous offseasons, giving them a chance to re-sign Lee, who said after Game 5 of the World Series, "I'd love to play for the Rangers." He is, by far, the best free-agent starter out there, which should drive up his price even more, perhaps to five years at around $20 million per year."

http://[h3]Rays may keep Wheeler, Aybar[/h3]
9:23AM ET

[h5]Tampa Bay Rays [/h5]

The Rays declined options on reliever Dan Wheeler and infielder/DH Willy Aybar on Wednesday, but Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times says they could end up keeping both.

The Rays gave the 32-year-old Wheeler, who appeared in 64 games, a $1 million buyout rather than a $4 million salary, but could look to re-sign him at a lower number.

Aybar remains eligible for arbitration and the Rays seem confident that he will not earn more than the $2.2 million he would have received under the 2011 option.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will De La Rosa stay in Denver?[/h3]
9:08AM ET

[h5]Jorge De La Rosa | Rockies [/h5]

The http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/col/colorado-rockiesColorado Rockies want to re-sign free agent pitcher http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5906Jorge De La Rosa, but agent Bobby Barad isn't expecting an offer before the left-hander can begin negotiating with other teams on Sunday, reports Troy Renck of the Denver Post.

De La Rosa is expected to test the free agent market, and what he is offered is anyone's guess. De La Rosa, who went 8-7 with a 4.22 ERA this season, could ask for a four- or five-year contract after the Dodgers' http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4062Ted Lilly signed a three-year, $33 million deal.

A deal may not come quickly. The market for a pitcher such as De La Rosa may not be set until http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5353Cliff Lee, the top free agent available, agrees to a deal.

As Renck points out, pitching remains a priority for the Rockies, especially after they watched their division rival in San Francisco ride a stellar starting staff to a World Series title. De La Rosa also is comfortable with pitching in Colorado, so the guess here is he stays in Denver if the offers are comparable.

Another caveat: De La Rosa is a Type A free agent, so any team that signs him will have to surrender two compensatory draft picks. That could limit his suitors as it has done in past years with reliever Juan Cruz and second baseman Orlando Hudson.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Darvish to MLB in 2012?[/h3]
8:30AM ET

[h5]Yu Darvish [/h5]

Get past Cliff Lee and the market for free agent pitchers this winter is not abundantly talented. Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish may have been able to cash in on that scarcity, but it was widely reported a few weeks ago that the 24-year-old right-hander would stay in Japan.

David Lennon of Newsday tweets that Darvish decided to wait a year while he deals with a divorce back home, but would like to pitch in North America in 2012.

Darvish became a household name with his performance for Japan in the World Baseball Classic and his numbers in Japan compared favorably to those of Daisuke Matsuzaka.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Pirates narrow the field to two[/h3]
8:10AM ET

[h5]Pittsburgh Pirates [/h5]

The Pirates have narrowed their list of managerial candidates to one well-known former skipper and another who could walk into Primanti's without being recognized.

Bill Brink of the Post-Gazette reports the field is down to Clint Hurdle, who managed the Rockies to the World Series in 2007, and Jeff Banister.

Banister has been a part of the organization for the past 25 years and was the minor league field coordinator for eight years before becoming John Russell's bench coach in early August.

The Pirates needed to wait until the end of the World Series to interview Hurdle, currently the hitting coach of the Texas Rangers.

Team president Frank ****elly told Brink that the team is open to considering other candidates "if we believe that we have not yet found the best person for the job." But after talking to seven candidates, that appears unlikely.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Ortiz: no progress in talks[/h3]
7:53AM ET

[h5]David Ortiz | Red Sox [/h5]

David Ortiz is waiting for a decision from the Boston Red Sox, which must decide whether to pick up his $12.5 million option for next season or consider signing the veteran DH to an extension.

With the World Series ending Monday, the Red Sox officially have until Thursday to decide whether to pick up the option. General manager Theo Epstein has said it's team policy to take decisions all the way out to the deadline, so a decision will not come until Thursday.

Ortiz wants a multi-year deal, but told the Boston Globe that no progess has been made during talks this week.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]New deals for Washington, Daniels[/h3]
7:42AM ET

[h5]Ron Washington | Rangers [/h5]

Rangers manager Ron Washington may have faced some criticism for his handling of the bullpen during the World Series loss to the Giants, but his overall body of work can't be ignored.

According to various reports, including one by Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com, Washington is expected to get a new contract Thursday, probably for two or three years.

Club president Nolan Ryan said Wednesday that Washington and the team had a scheduled meeting for Thursday to discuss the new deal. Ryan said after that's done, it will be general manager Jon Daniels' turn to sign a long-term deal.

Washington will get serious consideration for AL Manager of the Year after the Rangers won 90 games and advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

Daniels was mentioned as a candidate for the Mets' GM vacancy that went to Sandy Alderson.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Yanks may pass on Crawford, Werth[/h3]
7:23AM ET

[h5]New York Yankees [/h5]

Even the New York Yankees have to stay within a budget.

The franchise with a history of sparing no expense is likely to stage a full-court press to land left-hander Cliff Lee, but don't expect them to land Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, the top free agent outfielders on the market.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to make a "hard charge" for Crawford or Werth. Feinsand says the solid seasons by Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher and the late-season emergence of Curtis Granderson have the Yankees convinced that paying top dollar for an outfielder isn't the most sensible way to spend their money.

A year ago, it appeared a foregone conclusion that the Yankees would pursue Crawford, who could command a six-year deal for around $15 million to $18 million per season. The absence of the Yankees would be good news for the Red Sox and Yankees, who are expected to be active in the Crawford sweepstakes.

The Yankees also need to dedicate some time to re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, so it will be a busy offseason in the Bronx.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Melvin, Jauss first up for Mets[/h3]
7:02AM ET

[h5]New York Mets [/h5]

More than a month after the end of the season, the http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-metsNew York Mets will begin interviews for their vacant managerial position Thursday.

In-house candidates Bob Melvin and Dave Jauss will open the process, the team announced, while Wally Backman and Chip Hale are expected to follow. Melvin was a finalist for the Milwaukee job that went to Ron Roenicke.

The main reason for the delay, of course, was the lengthy process of deciding on general manager Sandy Alderson, who said Friday he hoped to make a decision on a manager within 30 days.

Other names rumored to be on the Mets' radar include Clint Hurdle, Lee Mazzilli and Pete Mackanin. The Mets would seemingly have to act quickly on Hurdle, who also is being courted by the Pirates.

Following the new manager's progress won't be as costly after the Mets announced that 2011 ticket prices will be slashed by an average of 14 percent.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Cabrera looking for new home[/h3]
6:37AM ET

[h5]Orlando Cabrera | Reds [/h5]

The http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/cin/cincinnati-redsCincinnati Reds were one of baseball's bargains in 2010, taking an Opening Day payroll of $72 million and advancing to the postseason for the first time in 15 years. There is a promising future for Reds fans, but that doesn't mean the team will be spending lavishly.

A case in point will be at shortstop, where http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3739Orlando Cabrera hit a respectable .263. The Reds declined a $4 million option on Cabrera Wednesday, a clear sign that the team plans to hand the shortstop job to Paul Janish, who is better defensively and showed improvedment at the plate, hitting a career-best .260.

Finding a new home should be nothing new to Cabrera, who has played for a different team each of the last five seasons. He has played in the playoffs each of the last four seasons, so he is doing something right.

One possibility could be San Francisco if Edgar Renteria decides to retire and free agent Juan Uribe lands elsewhere.

- Doug Mittler

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Will Vlad be back in Texas?[/h3]
6:09AM ET

[h5]Vladimir Guerrero | Rangers [/h5]

At some point, Vladimir Guerrero should look back fondly on the chance of finally getting a taste of the World Series after waiting 14 big league seasons. Just not right now.

Guerrero went 1-for-14 with no homers and two RBI against the Giants and added a dismal night out in right field in Game One at AT&T Park. In Monday's finale, Guerrero went 0-for-4 with three first-pitch outs.

Vlad's struggles may impact whether the Rangers are willing to bring the 36-year-old back in 2011, writes Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News.

The Rangers decided Wednesday to decline Vlad's $9 million option, but still expressed an interest at bringing him back.

Guerrero bounced back with a huge regular season, hitting .300 and driving in 115 runs, but that might not be enough for him to get a multi-year deal.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Closer money[/h3]
5:50AM ET

[h5]Free Agent Closers [/h5]

[h5]Free Agent Closers [h5][/h5][/h5]

We often talk about late-inning relievers and how there is a difference between closer dollars and the money a setup man or situational reliever makes. And that difference is still likely to be there this winter as the plethora of relief pitchers hit the open market next week.

But a closer look reveals that closers haven't been getting enormous contract the past two or three years, and there are times when setup arms are given contract very similar to that of some clubs' closers.

Francisco Rodriguez and Brandon Lyon received three-year deals to close; K-ROD got $37 million guaranteed and Lyon $15 million. Just about every other closer signed for one or two years, with Rafael Soriano and Trevor Hoffman getting one-year deals two years in a row and neither exceed the $7.5 million Hoffman made this past season.

Last winter, Mike Gonzalez signed in Baltimore for two years and $12 million and Jose Valverde receive a 2-year, $14 million deal with a $9 million team option for a third season. After the 2008 season, when Rodriguez got his big contract, Brian Fuentes received two-years and $17.5 million, despite a similar track record as Valverde.

Clubs appear to be realizing that spending big money on relievers -- and giving them long-term contracts -- is not the wisest way to build a bullpen or spread the payroll around a roster.

This doesn't bode well for this winter's crop.

Sparky Anderson Dead at 76

Anderson died this morning shortly after being placed in hospice care. He managed three World Series champions, and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000.

Sparky Anderson Dead at 76

Anderson died this morning shortly after being placed in hospice care. He managed three World Series champions, and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000.

Just because I always find this market fascinating and I think the Rangers will dip their toes into this pool again regardless of how the Lee situation plays out... Which of these guys would you take the chance on?

Erik Bedard
Justin Duchscherer
Brandon Webb
Chris Young

Injured guys that have a recent history of success when healthy.. High-upside, high-bust types...

I probably stay away from Young unless I play in a big ballpark, but the other three are really interesting to me.

Just because I always find this market fascinating and I think the Rangers will dip their toes into this pool again regardless of how the Lee situation plays out... Which of these guys would you take the chance on?

Erik Bedard
Justin Duchscherer
Brandon Webb
Chris Young

Injured guys that have a recent history of success when healthy.. High-upside, high-bust types...

I probably stay away from Young unless I play in a big ballpark, but the other three are really interesting to me.

^
Brandon Webb, EASY. 

If he's right, he's a lock for 200 innings, and in a park like Texas where he can keep the ball on the ground and have a chance as opposed to a fly ball pitcher, he's worth it imo.

^
Brandon Webb, EASY. 

If he's right, he's a lock for 200 innings, and in a park like Texas where he can keep the ball on the ground and have a chance as opposed to a fly ball pitcher, he's worth it imo.

I wouldn't say easy, but I would choose Webb as well. Justin is a very enigmatic pitcher who can show you so much brilliance but has his own personal demons. I'm a huge fan of his and I hope he can put it back together. I wouldn't mind the Yankees taking a flyer on him. Bedard is rare, a power lefty so he'll always get looks. Harden should be thinking about going the Kerry Wood route now, not on the Rangers though.

String, Hal's comments seems as though he's trying to let Yankee fans know that these negotiations will get messy.

And RIP to Sparky.

I wouldn't say easy, but I would choose Webb as well. Justin is a very enigmatic pitcher who can show you so much brilliance but has his own personal demons. I'm a huge fan of his and I hope he can put it back together. I wouldn't mind the Yankees taking a flyer on him. Bedard is rare, a power lefty so he'll always get looks. Harden should be thinking about going the Kerry Wood route now, not on the Rangers though.

String, Hal's comments seems as though he's trying to let Yankee fans know that these negotiations will get messy.

And RIP to Sparky.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Yankees gotta bring Jeter back
In all honesty, it's something I am not worried about at all. The negotiations may get messy, yes, but Derek Jeter will be a New York Yankee his entire MLB career. It's that simple.

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Yankees gotta bring Jeter back
In all honesty, it's something I am not worried about at all. The negotiations may get messy, yes, but Derek Jeter will be a New York Yankee his entire MLB career. It's that simple.

Yup.

Here's the last one of this series: the champs are here, as we kiss the San Francisco Giants goodbye.
[h3]The overview[/h3]
After Buster Posey was promoted from the minors and shifted to catcher, the Giants evolved into a power driven by incredible pitching. Tim Lincecum made adjustments in August and was spectacular in September and October and on the first day of November, and Matt Cain was the reliable and steady mule who gave the Giants a chance to win in every start. Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner performed well in rounding out the San Francisco rotation, which was supported strongly by Brian Wilson and the rest of the Giants' bullpen. General manager Brian Sabean added a bunch of veterans during the year, giving manager Bruce Bochy enough options to pick and choose the hottest and most effective players on a given day -- and Bochy rode this strategy right through the World Series, when Edgar Renteria emerged from two months of down time to win the Most Valuable Player Award.

sfo.gif

The Giants' surge, though, nearly came too late; the postseason history of 2010 might have been very different if the San Diego Padres hadn't collapsed with a 10-game losing streak late in the year.

The Giants will have their backbone of pitching back in 2011, which should make them the favorites to repeat as the National League West champions, but Sabean will have to reconstruct the everyday lineup around Posey. It's possible that the Giants will have new players at first base, shortstop, third base and at least two of the three outfield spots. Mark DeRosa, who missed most of 2010 because of injury, will be back in the mix, and presumably the Giants will try to re-sign first baseman Aubrey Huff -- who emerged as a leader in the San Francisco lineup -- and Juan Uribe, whose versatility and power make him a very attractive free agent. Look, the Giants won't be viewed as a team likely to repeat as champions in 2011, but their pitching will again make them as dangerous as they became in 2010.
[h3]Baseball Prospectus' take[/h3]
What went right: The pitching was outstanding; the Giants were second in the major leagues in runs allowed behind the Padres, giving up 3.60 a game. Cain, Lincecum and Sanchez formed an effective trio at the top of the rotation, each providing more than five wins above a replacement pitcher, and rookie left-hander Bumgarner added four wins above replacement in just 18 starts. The Giants backed their pitchers with strong defense as their .709 defensive efficiency (percentage of balls in play turned into outs) led the National League and was fourth in the major leagues. The Giants hit it big with a pair of journeymen, as first baseman/outfielder Huff had a .316 true average (TAv) and center fielder Andres Torres had a .293 mark as the leadoff hitter, as well as a castoff in left fielder Pat Burrell, who posted a .304 TAv after being released by the Tampa Bay Rays in May.

What went wrong: The offense was spotty all season as the Giants were ninth in the NL and 17th in the major leagues with 4.30 runs scored a game. Center fielder Aaron Rowand, in the third season of a five-year, $60 million contract, lost his starting job to Torres and finished with a .238 TAv, while third baseman Pablo Sandoval failed to build on his fine 2009 season as his TAv was .263. Left-hander Barry Zito became a cheerleader in October, despite his $18.5 million salary, as he failed to make the roster for any of the three postseason rounds. Despite being the MVP of the World Series, shortstop Edgar Renteria was just 1.4 wins above a replacement player in the final year of his two-year, $18.5 million contract.

What won't happen again: Renteria won't have the World Series-winning hit for a third time in his career, following up on this year and with the Marlins in 1997.
[h3]Rumor Central: 2011 options[/h3]
Eyes on the bottom line: Sabean had the magic touch, ending a World Series title drought of more than half a century and doing it with a reasonable payroll of just under $100 million. The payroll will likely pass that threshold for the first time in 2011, but team president Larry Baer has warned fans not to expect any lavish free-agent spending spree. At the same time, there will be no repeat of 2002, when the NL champs were forced to unload Game 6 World Series starter Russ Ortiz for budgetary reasons. The imprint for success is to build from within. All four World Series starting pitchers, as well as Wilson and Posey, were drafted and signed by the Giants. About $20 million is coming off the books, but some of that will be used for raises for arbitration-eligible players. While Sabean says publicly he wants to keep Zito, he would dump the left-hander in a minute if a team would take a portion of the $64 million left on his deal. Zito's status became even shakier with the plans of possibly moving reliever Dan Runzler to the rotation. Renteria may be headed to retirement and Uribe is a free agent, so a fiscally conscious move will be needed at shortstop. A possible alternative is Orlando Cabrera, whose option was not picked up by the Reds.

Huff: The key issue for the Giants is at first base, where Baer will make every effort to retain Huff, who will earn far more than the $3 million he made this season. The Giants kicked the tires on Milwaukee's Prince Fielder in the weeks leading up to the July trade deadline, but it seems unlikely that they would pay a king's ransom (top pitching prospect Zach Wheeler) to get him, especially if Huff is retained. One rumor had the Giants kicking the tires on outfielder Carl Crawford, but that appears unlikely. Sabean is not afraid to deal prospects -- he acquired second baseman Freddy Sanchez for 2007 first-rounder Tim Alderson -- so a trade for a veteran is not out of the question. The Giants used to have trouble scoring runs, but that became an afterthought with the arrival of Posey and the postseason explosion of waiver claim Cody Ross. The Giants know that Ross' numbers have to come back to earth, but they still appear willing to tender him a contract. Sabean would love to unload Rowand, and a return to Philadelphia isn't out of the question if the money can be worked out.
[h3]Organizational future[/h3]
With Huff's comeback season and outstanding showing in the postseason possibly setting him up to be overpaid by someone in free agency, the Giants might be ready to give Brandon Belt a look at first base. A fifth-round pick in 2009, Belt began the year at High-A, finished it in Triple-A and hit at every level, amassing a combined line of .352/.455/.620 that included 43 doubles, 23 home runs and 93 walks in 136 games. With hitting mechanics that were rebuilt in spring training, many scouts view the 22-year-old as one of the better pure offensive prospects in the minors.

Back
Top Bottom