Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

Yup.

Here's the last one of this series: the champs are here, as we kiss the San Francisco Giants goodbye.
[h3]The overview[/h3]
After Buster Posey was promoted from the minors and shifted to catcher, the Giants evolved into a power driven by incredible pitching. Tim Lincecum made adjustments in August and was spectacular in September and October and on the first day of November, and Matt Cain was the reliable and steady mule who gave the Giants a chance to win in every start. Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner performed well in rounding out the San Francisco rotation, which was supported strongly by Brian Wilson and the rest of the Giants' bullpen. General manager Brian Sabean added a bunch of veterans during the year, giving manager Bruce Bochy enough options to pick and choose the hottest and most effective players on a given day -- and Bochy rode this strategy right through the World Series, when Edgar Renteria emerged from two months of down time to win the Most Valuable Player Award.

sfo.gif

The Giants' surge, though, nearly came too late; the postseason history of 2010 might have been very different if the San Diego Padres hadn't collapsed with a 10-game losing streak late in the year.

The Giants will have their backbone of pitching back in 2011, which should make them the favorites to repeat as the National League West champions, but Sabean will have to reconstruct the everyday lineup around Posey. It's possible that the Giants will have new players at first base, shortstop, third base and at least two of the three outfield spots. Mark DeRosa, who missed most of 2010 because of injury, will be back in the mix, and presumably the Giants will try to re-sign first baseman Aubrey Huff -- who emerged as a leader in the San Francisco lineup -- and Juan Uribe, whose versatility and power make him a very attractive free agent. Look, the Giants won't be viewed as a team likely to repeat as champions in 2011, but their pitching will again make them as dangerous as they became in 2010.
[h3]Baseball Prospectus' take[/h3]
What went right: The pitching was outstanding; the Giants were second in the major leagues in runs allowed behind the Padres, giving up 3.60 a game. Cain, Lincecum and Sanchez formed an effective trio at the top of the rotation, each providing more than five wins above a replacement pitcher, and rookie left-hander Bumgarner added four wins above replacement in just 18 starts. The Giants backed their pitchers with strong defense as their .709 defensive efficiency (percentage of balls in play turned into outs) led the National League and was fourth in the major leagues. The Giants hit it big with a pair of journeymen, as first baseman/outfielder Huff had a .316 true average (TAv) and center fielder Andres Torres had a .293 mark as the leadoff hitter, as well as a castoff in left fielder Pat Burrell, who posted a .304 TAv after being released by the Tampa Bay Rays in May.

What went wrong: The offense was spotty all season as the Giants were ninth in the NL and 17th in the major leagues with 4.30 runs scored a game. Center fielder Aaron Rowand, in the third season of a five-year, $60 million contract, lost his starting job to Torres and finished with a .238 TAv, while third baseman Pablo Sandoval failed to build on his fine 2009 season as his TAv was .263. Left-hander Barry Zito became a cheerleader in October, despite his $18.5 million salary, as he failed to make the roster for any of the three postseason rounds. Despite being the MVP of the World Series, shortstop Edgar Renteria was just 1.4 wins above a replacement player in the final year of his two-year, $18.5 million contract.

What won't happen again: Renteria won't have the World Series-winning hit for a third time in his career, following up on this year and with the Marlins in 1997.
[h3]Rumor Central: 2011 options[/h3]
Eyes on the bottom line: Sabean had the magic touch, ending a World Series title drought of more than half a century and doing it with a reasonable payroll of just under $100 million. The payroll will likely pass that threshold for the first time in 2011, but team president Larry Baer has warned fans not to expect any lavish free-agent spending spree. At the same time, there will be no repeat of 2002, when the NL champs were forced to unload Game 6 World Series starter Russ Ortiz for budgetary reasons. The imprint for success is to build from within. All four World Series starting pitchers, as well as Wilson and Posey, were drafted and signed by the Giants. About $20 million is coming off the books, but some of that will be used for raises for arbitration-eligible players. While Sabean says publicly he wants to keep Zito, he would dump the left-hander in a minute if a team would take a portion of the $64 million left on his deal. Zito's status became even shakier with the plans of possibly moving reliever Dan Runzler to the rotation. Renteria may be headed to retirement and Uribe is a free agent, so a fiscally conscious move will be needed at shortstop. A possible alternative is Orlando Cabrera, whose option was not picked up by the Reds.

Huff: The key issue for the Giants is at first base, where Baer will make every effort to retain Huff, who will earn far more than the $3 million he made this season. The Giants kicked the tires on Milwaukee's Prince Fielder in the weeks leading up to the July trade deadline, but it seems unlikely that they would pay a king's ransom (top pitching prospect Zach Wheeler) to get him, especially if Huff is retained. One rumor had the Giants kicking the tires on outfielder Carl Crawford, but that appears unlikely. Sabean is not afraid to deal prospects -- he acquired second baseman Freddy Sanchez for 2007 first-rounder Tim Alderson -- so a trade for a veteran is not out of the question. The Giants used to have trouble scoring runs, but that became an afterthought with the arrival of Posey and the postseason explosion of waiver claim Cody Ross. The Giants know that Ross' numbers have to come back to earth, but they still appear willing to tender him a contract. Sabean would love to unload Rowand, and a return to Philadelphia isn't out of the question if the money can be worked out.
[h3]Organizational future[/h3]
With Huff's comeback season and outstanding showing in the postseason possibly setting him up to be overpaid by someone in free agency, the Giants might be ready to give Brandon Belt a look at first base. A fifth-round pick in 2009, Belt began the year at High-A, finished it in Triple-A and hit at every level, amassing a combined line of .352/.455/.620 that included 43 doubles, 23 home runs and 93 walks in 136 games. With hitting mechanics that were rebuilt in spring training, many scouts view the 22-year-old as one of the better pure offensive prospects in the minors.

I'd expect either Bedard or Ducheser to sign with the Mets on an incentive laden deal. I'd like Webb, but if he's gonna ask for 10 mil when he's barely throwing 82 mph, I'm good.

I'd expect either Bedard or Ducheser to sign with the Mets on an incentive laden deal. I'd like Webb, but if he's gonna ask for 10 mil when he's barely throwing 82 mph, I'm good.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Manager Ron Washington has a new two-year contract, making him the skipper of the Texas Rangers through the 2012 season.

The club and Washington finalized the deal in a meeting Thursday morning at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington that included club president Nolan Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels.

[h4]Galloway & Co.: 11/4[/h4]
http://active.macromedia....lash.cab#version=8,0,0,0 height=70 width=86 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>http://a.espncdn.com/swf/...o_player_circular_v2.swf swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=86 HEIGHT=70 QUALITY=best SCALE=noorder wmode=transparent ID=flashPodcastSwf NAME=flash2 MENU=false DEVICEFONT=false FlashVars=&soundLink=http://c.espnradio.com/au...2010-11-04-181519.96.mp3 TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com...d_Version=ShockwaveFlash>

Rangers manager Ron Washington joins GAC to chat about his new contract with the team and how he plans to lure Cliff Lee back to the Rangers.

More Podcasts »

"I want to thank the Texas Rangers organization for an opportunity to lead this group for two more years and hopefully further," Washington said. "I had guys that Jon supplied me with that were baseball rats, guys that had a deep passion for the game the same way I have a deep passion for the game. It was easy to go out and be part of it. I want to thank this organization for believing in me, for supporting me and supporting everything we've done down there on the field."

Washington is tied with Buck Showalter for the third-most regular-season games (648) as manager of the Rangers. He is behind only Johnny Oates and Bobby Valentine on the all-time franchise list. Washington has 331 regular-season wins, the third most in club history, and his .511 career winning percentage is second-best by any Rangers manager.

Washington was the first manager to lead the Rangers to a playoff series victory as the club won Game 5 of the ALDS in Tampa. He then helped steer the team to the World Series with a six-game victory over the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

"The first thing we wanted to do was making sure our field leaders and our manager was locked up and taken care of," Daniels said. "We're not in the postseason; we're not in the World Series without his leadership. What he's done from day one of changing the culture, creating a winning atmosphere, creating a winning expectation has been enormous.

"He has tremendous passion, love for the game, respect for the game, respect of the players. Our team feeds off that. It's no accident that we were a resilient club. That's what he brings."

Washington said Wednesday that he was disappointed his team didn't win the World Series, but he was eager to attempt to achieve that goal in 2011.

"It was a wonderful year," Washington said. "We came together as an organization, came together as a group. We did what we had to do to survive and make it to the World Series. We're disappointed we didn't win it, but definitely have a foundation to build on. We expect to be back."

Washington is one of only four current managers who have led teams to increased win totals in each of the past three years (Cincinnati's Dusty Baker, Philadelphia's Charlie Manuel and San Francisco's Bruce Bochy are the others). The Rangers reached the 90-win plateau in 2010 for the first time since 1999.

The defense-minded Washington, who was the Oakland Athletics' third-base coach for 10 seasons, was hired by the Rangers in 2007, beating out four other candidates for the position: Manny Acta, John Russell, Don Wakamatsu and Trey Hillman.

Daniels and then-owner Tom Hicks were won over by Washington's passion, ability to motivate and dogged pursuit of a fundamentally sound team built on pitching and defense.

When Ryan arrived, the new president liked how Washington had a team that played hard every night. But it wasn't all smooth sailing for the skipper.

[h4]Re-Upping The Rangers[/h4]
We hand you the keys to the Texas Rangers to decide who stays and who goes after a memorable trip.
Vote: Take 'Em or Trash 'Em?
Also: Rangers blog »   ESPN Dallas »

Washington's 2008 team got off to a 7-16 start and was on the hot seat. But the club improved and went on to finish the season with momentum. Then in the middle of the 2009 season, Washington failed a drug test and admitted using cocaine. Daniels and Ryan felt Washington was honest and had owned up to the mistake and they decided to stick with him. When the admission became public in spring training in 2010, Washington's players attended his news conference and rallied to his support.

Washington's 2010 team jumped in front in the AL West on June 8 and never fell behind. A 21-6 record in June helped build the lead, and the Rangers ended up clinching in Oakland with more than a week left in the season.

"He did a great job," team captain Michael Young said Wednesday. "He's the manager of the American champions. People talk about players and write about players, but the manager did [an] incredible job this year. We really fed off of him and I hope he fed off of us.

"He did a great job. Anything he gets right now, he deserves."

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols hopes to negotiate a contract extension for beyond 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

St. Louis exercised a $16 million option for 2011 on Oct. 6 for the three-time NL MVP.

"I hope that before the season begins I get an extension," the 30-year-old Pujols said during a news conference Thursday.

The team has said there's no specific timetable for beginning negotiations on a new deal with Pujols, who can be a free agent after next year's World Series.

Pujols said he wants to spend the rest of his career with the Cardinals, "but that is something that I cannot control."

Pujols led the NL with 42 home runs, increasing his career total to 408, and won his first league RBIs title with 118. He batted .312, less than a percentage point behind team leader Matt Holliday.

He said it was his best season but was disappointed the Cardinals finished 86-76, five games behind the NL Central champion Cincinnati Reds.

"Personally it was a great season, but I feel bad because my team did not make it to the playoffs," he said.

Pujols also praised Mark McGwire, who just finished his first season as the Cardinals' hitting coach and agreed to stay on for next year.

"I believe that McGwire does not get the credit he deserves as the great batting coach that he is," Pujols said.

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Padres slugger Adrian Gonzalez is as good as gone after the 2011 season.

Both sides have figured for some time that the three-time All-Star would be too expensive to remain with his hometown team after next season. Nothing's changed after agent John Boggs had lunch this week with general manager Jed Hoyer.

"It's not a surprise," Hoyer said Thursday. "We sat down and confirmed that."

Boggs said it's "pretty much a fait accompli" that Gonzalez will test the free-agent market after the 2011 season.

"It's a situation where Jed and the Padres obviously know his value," Boggs said. "The question is, what are we going to seek. We're going to seek market value for Adrian Gonzalez. Obviously I don't think the Padres will dedicate that much of their salary structure to one player."

Barring any drastic developments, Hoyer said the Padres won't make an offer.

"It makes no sense in making offers that don't come close to what his desires are," Hoyer said.

The Padres exercised their 2011 option on Gonzalez on Tuesday. Originally worth $5.5 million, the option grew to $6.2 million based on escalators. His salary will increase by $100,000 if he wins a third Gold Glove award this fall. Next season is the final year of Gonzalez's team-friendly $15 million, five-year contract he signed in 2007.

"Nothing that's happened is unexpected," Hoyer said. "He's had a fantastic career and he wants to test out the free-agent market and see if he gets that franchise-player contract he's been working toward. To his credit, he signed a deal that has worked out very well for the club and he's never said a word about it. There's always been a desire to see what's on the free-agent market for him."

Gonzalez grew up in the San Diego area and was the No. 1 overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 amateur draft. He was obtained in a trade with the Texas Rangers before the 2006 season and has blossomed into one of the game's best first basemen. He hit .298 with 31 homers and 101 RBIs last season for San Diego, which was eliminated from playoff contention on the season's last day.

The next day Hoyer said that if Gonzalez wants Mark Teixeira or Ryan Howard money, "that's not something we're going to be able to do."

Howard agreed to a $125 million, five-year contract extension in April with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Teixeira finished the second season of a $180 million, eight-year contract with the New York Yankees.

"The type of contract that he will be seeking in free agency is something that only a handful of markets can support and San Diego is not one of them," Hoyer said.

Hoyer said he's had a cordial relationship with Boggs.

"I don't begrudge Adrian whatsoever," the GM said. "He's earned the right to make a lot of money."

In five seasons with San Diego, Gonzalez has 161 homers -- two shy of Nate Colbert's club record -- and 501 RBIs. Including parts of two seasons with Texas, he has 168 homers and 525 RBIs.

The left-hander set a franchise record with his fourth 30-homer season. His third 100-RBI season tied Phil Nevin for the most in club history.

Whether Gonzalez is with the Padres through the 2011 season remains to be seen.

"I anticipate him being our first baseman next year," Hoyer said. "I certainly hope he finishes the season with us. That means we'd have a good season."

The Padres went 90-72 despite opening the season with a payroll of $37.8 million, second-lowest in the majors. Hoyer expects the payroll to be higher next season.

Boggs said Gonzalez, coming off shoulder surgery, isn't focusing on free agency but on playing well "and bringing a championship to San Diego. We hope to get past the final day of the season with the Padres. Free agency will take care of itself."

DENVER -- The Colorado Rockies traded catcher Miguel Olivo to the Toronto Blue Jays for a player to be named.

The move by the Rockies, who had a 10 p.m. MT deadline to pick up his $2.5 million option for 2011, saves the club money and gives them flexibility in finding another catcher to share the duties with Chris Iannetta.

About 10 minutes before the deadline, Toronto declined the option, which had a $500,000 buyout. That made Olivo a free agent.

Olivo, 32, hit a career-best .269 with 14 homers and 58 RBIs as the Rockies' primary catcher last season, but he faded in the second half, when he hit just .193 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.

The Rockies also declined their $7 million option on left-hander Jeff Francis, whom they might try to bring back at a significantly reduced price.

In a March 1 post for the ESPN Stats & Information baseball blog on the worth of Derek Jeter, I wrote:

• Jeter has enjoyed a remarkable career, with no signs of slowing down, including an MVP-level season in 2009. How much Major League Baseball life will be left in Jeter's body in 2011, when he will be 37 years old?
One season later, we have a huge sign of Jeter slowing down. In 2010, he put up one of his worst -- if not the worst -- season of his career. It was still a good season by the standards of an average ballplayer, but not by his own standards. The question stands: How big will his next contract be? This question is particularly relevant considering the comments of Jeter's agent, who yesterday said that Jeter's value to the Yankees, "cannot be overstated."

As I also wrote in my earlier piece, to determine his value we need to figure out how good we think he will be from 2011 onward. One way to determine this is to use a metric called WAR (wins above replacement), which I helped develop and accounts for hitting, fielding and baserunning. BaseballProjection.com has the annual WAR for all players through 2010, and the numbers can be used to put Jeter's future value in context.
While Jeter accumulated a total of 15 wins in his past four seasons, he earned less than two of those wins last year at age 36. We need to find a representative sample of players who were great over a period of three years, but followed that up with a less-than-stellar season.

In order to find a representative sample, I looked for all players in MLB history who: (a) were born in 1895 or later, (b) in the last season had at least 500 PA and at most 2.0 WAR, (c) in the three seasons preceding the last had at least 2.5 WAR in each season, (d) in these previous four seasons had a total of at least 2,000 PA and at least 12 WAR, (e) came into the upcoming (fifth) season between 36 and 38 years old and finally, (f) ended the fifth season with at least 150 PA.

Got all that? Sweet.

The birth-year parameter was to remove any old-timers who played under much different conditions (Babe Ruth was born in 1895). My sample at this point is 11,096 players.

The last-season parameter was to make sure we had someone with a down year, but still played full-time. I'm now down to 1,451 players.

The preceding-three-season parameter was to make sure he at least performed as a good player each year. I'm left with 179 players.

The four-season parameter was to make sure we had a full-time player who was overall at least very good. Now I've got 130 players.

The fifth-season parameter was to make sure we have an older player, like Jeter. We're down to 21 players.

The last parameter was to make sure it included players who were expected to contribute at least a little bit (trying to remove anyone that came into the season injured or out of action for whatever reason). Normally, you don't want to use data from an upcoming season, but in this case, I needed to be kind to Jeter, and I needed to find a proxy of health entering this fifth season. That one knocked out Eddie Mathews and Minnie Minoso. Like I said, we're trying to find really healthy players, and given the list that came back, I think you can argue that removing these two players is still not enough.

This left me with 19 players. The number in parentheses, WAR4, is the wins above replacement in their last 4 seasons. This list is organized in terms of decreasing age:

Bret Boone (20.1)
Bernie Williams (14.
glasses.gif

John Olerud (15.9)
Jeff Bagwell (16.3)
Jay Bell (14.9)
Cal Ripken (13.0)
Brett Butler (14.9)
Jack Clark (12.
glasses.gif

Robin Yount (15.3)
Dave Winfield (12.9)
Cecil Cooper (15.3)
Ron Cey (12.2)
Jose Cruz (13.0)
Davey Lopes (13.3)
Sal Bando (14.6)
Joe Morgan (29.7)
Willie Davis (14.5)
Billy Williams (18.1)
Paul Waner (15.9)

As you can see, we have a lot of players from recent seasons. And other than Waner, all were born since 1938. The average WAR for these players in their last four seasons was 15.7, with a median of 14.9, which is comparable to Jeter's 15.1 WAR from 2007-2010. Morgan is the best player in the bunch.

At this point, we should be feeling fairly good that we've met our objective of finding a representative sample of ballplayers that are Jeter-like, to the extent that that is even possible.

1104Morgan.jpg

Getty ImagesIf you think Jeter will hold up like Joe Morgan did late in his career, pay him more.

How did these 19 players do in their next season? Their average WAR was 1.7. We had two superstar seasons, from Jose Cruz and Dave Winfield, and two horrible seasons (Sal Bando, Bret Boone). In the season after that, they averaged 1.1 wins. In the third through fifth seasons after, they averaged 0.5 to 0.6 wins each season. In their sixth season, they averaged 0.2 wins.

Overall, for the rest of their careers, these 21 players averaged 4.6 WAR. With only 4.6 WAR of life left, and since wins are valued at about $5 million each on the free-agent market, that means that Jeter has about $25 million of value left; obviously there is a huge level of uncertainty here.

Here's what these guys did for the rest of their careers:

Jose Cruz (18.4)
Joe Morgan (17.7)
Davey Lopes (10.6)
Dave Winfield (8.6)

We can call those guys "Tier 1."

Then there's Tier 2:

Paul Waner (6.9)
Robin Yount (4.9)
Cal Ripken (4.
glasses.gif

Brett Butler (4.5)
Ron Cey (4.3)
Jeff Bagwell (4.0)
Billy Williams (3.9)

And finally, the lower tier:

John Olerud (1.1)
Willie Davis (0.9)
Jack Clark (0.1)
Bernie Williams (minus-0.1)
Cecil Cooper (minus-0.1)
Sal Bando (minus-0.
glasses.gif

Jay Bell (minus-1.0)
Bret Boone (minus-1.
glasses.gif

If Jeter is a lot more like Cruz, Morgan, Lopes and Winfield (average of 13.8 wins), then he's got plenty of good value left in his career -- you could argue $50 million to $100 million; but those guys are just four of the 19 players in our sample. That means that we should be about 20 percent sure that Jeter has that much value left.

From Williams through to Waner, we have seven players, averaging 4.8 WAR. So about 37 percent of our players have a value of $25 million left in their careers.

Then we have the final eight remaining players -- more than 40 percent of the entire group -- who had no value left.

Overall, 80 percent of these 19 players have a value of nothing to $25 million, and 20 percent have a value around $75 million.

That's an average of $25 million, which -- removing what he means to the Yankees from the equation, which is intangible and can't be measured -- seems to be what his next deal should be. Last year, Placido Polanco got a three-year, $18 million deal. That's roughly where Jeter is right now. The maximum deal in terms of matching historic expectations would be four years, $40 million. The Yanks could easily end up on the hook for five years, $60 million. That's overpaying. It's been a fantastic career, but it's time to wind down that clock.

There are 168 free agents available so far, according to the most recent press release distributed by the Major League Baseball Players Association. But you might not be hearing as much buzz about them if agents and club executives stick to the rules agreed to by the Players Association and Major League Baseball.

According to agents and executives familiar with the mandate, new guidelines have been put in place designed to restrict the amount of negotiating that goes on through the media.

Both sides would have some motivation for this. Team executives are furious when their clubs are wrongly portrayed as having interest in a given free agent. At the same time, agents get angry when clubs illuminate their position on a given player for reporters, believing that this practice is a form of collusion.

What the precise rules are, and how they would be policed or enforced, are not known. E-mails that were sent to high-ranking officials within the players' association and Major League Baseball late Thursday were not immediately returned.

On the face of it, a media clampdown might seem to be a worthy goal for the two sides, but impractical in the face of how reporters and their sources communicate. If an agent for a given player or a club executive feels a need to address the negotiations for a given player, all he has to do to cover his own tracks and create deniability is use these two words: "On background."

And the mechanism by which the players' association and MLB would investigate media leaks is unknown; maybe these are rules put in place that both sides want the participants to enforce on their own, like an honor code.

Maybe the greatest indication we could see that the rules are actually working would be if we never saw another "mystery team" tied to a Scott Boras client.
[h3]Sparky[/h3]
The other day, I was fortunate enough to meet Kyle Maynard, a remarkable person without hands or feet who has chased his dream of becoming an MMA fighter, and he said something interesting: Every time you have negative thoughts, you are fueling your opponent. This was not a problem for Sparky Anderson, who has passed away at age 76.

I dealt with Anderson a few times before he retired, and a few times afterward, and in each case he was warm and generous. It was evident that he was a happy person: happy in his work, in his interaction with others, even within his most mundane obligations. Sparky seemed to draw all that he could out of his life.

His modesty served him well, writes Hal McCoy. Fame never changed him, writes Paul Daugherty.

Here's what Ernie Harwell wrote about Sparky. He touched others outside of baseball, writes Jo-Ann Barnas. Bud Selig noted that Anderson would not miss the Hall of Fame ceremony, as John Lowe writes. Lynn Henning is thankful for the time spent with Sparky.

Here are some little-known facts about Sparky. Baseball has lost one of its greats, writes Tom Gage. Sparky was one of the best, writes Tim Sullivan. Thomas Boswell has Sparky reflections here. Baseball has lost something great, writes Joe Henderson.

Managers with 2,000 wins in MLB history:

1. Connie Mack: 3,731
2. John McGraw: 2,763
3. Tony La Russa: 2,638
4. Bobby Cox: 2,504
5. Joe Torre: 2,326
6. Sparky Anderson: 2,194
7. Bucky Harris: 2,158
8. Joe McCarthy: 2,125
9. Walter Alston: 2,130
10. Leo Durocher: 2,008

He used to hang out at HoJo's, writes Richard Justice.
[h3]The Jeter situation[/h3]
insider_g_djeter_300.jpg

Getty ImagesDerek Jeter is an icon, but the Yanks have shifted their stance.

If you think the Yankees are ready to shower tens of millions of dollars on Derek Jeter because they did so with Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera three winters ago, well, it's worth remembering the context.

It was in the fall of 2007 that the Steinbrenner sons first became the public faces of the franchise, as their aging father retreated -- and it was in those first days that the relationship between the team and Joe Torre fractured. Torre seized the public-relations high ground on his way out the door, and the Steinbrenner sons were immediately the targets of much public criticism. Torre spoke of being shoved out by faces he didn't know -- the Steinbrenner sons.

So the pressure on Hal and Hank was immediate and overpowering -- they then went above and beyond to re-sign Rodriguez, Posada and Rivera. Way above and beyond. Executives within the industry believe the Yankees probably gave Rodriguez at least $100 million more than any team would have been willing to offer, and that under normal circumstances, the Yankees would have held the line on the Posada negotiations at a three-year offer, rather than four. There were folks with the Yankees' baseball operations who would have preferred to just let Rodriguez and Posada move on, rather than overpay them.

[h3][/h3]
Executives within the industry believe the Yankees probably gave Rodriguez at least $100 million more than any team would have been willing to offer.

But the Steinbrenner sons, in those first days on the job, relented, and now the Rodriguez contract is all but certain to be an organizational sinkhole for years to come. He has seven years remaining on his deal, at a time when rival scouts believe his skills are in clear decline. Rivera has maintained his pre-eminence throughout his contract, but Posada's contract does, in fact, appear to be a bridge too far by one year.

Do not assume, then, that the Yankees feel obligated to pay Jeter the way that they paid Rodriguez; rather, they are intent on not repeating the mistake of investing huge dollars in an aging player.

They want to keep Jeter, and they are willing to pay him more than any other team will pay him. But the Steinbrenner sons are in a completely different time and place for these negotiations than they were when they gave a blank check to Rodriguez.

The disciplined Hal Steinbrenner will not be anything like his dad, writes Ken Davidoff.

Speaking of the Yankees: Jesus Montero will get a chance to be the team's regular catcher in 2011, with Jorge Posada shifting to designated hitter.
[h3]Lee's free agency[/h3]
Kevin Sherrington has a Plan B if the Rangers lose out on Cliff Lee.

Keep an eye on the Rangers making a move for Zack Greinke, a player they have talked about extensively before. They have the kind of talent that the Royals would require to make a deal if Texas got invested in the conversations.
[h3]Moves, deals and decisions[/h3]
1. The Jays cut ties with Kevin Gregg, and made a trade that they hope results in a draft pick.
[h4]Buster's New Book[/h4]
busterbook2.jpg
Buster Olney is the author of the forthcoming book "recipient[/color] of the Jimmy V Award at the ESPYS.

"Surprising and unforgettable." - Mike Krzyzewski

"Olney knows the beating heart of life and the pulse of humanity that makes sports matter." - George F. Will

"A true inspiration." - Pat Summitt

2. The Phillies' free-agent menu includes relief help, as David Murphy writes. Scott Downs would be a perfect for Philadelphia.

3. The Pirates are close to picking their next manager.

4. The Pirates are seeking pitching help, writes Rob Biertempfel; Jeremy Bonderman is mentioned within this piece as one possible target.

5. Charlie Samuels, the Mets' clubhouse manager, has been suspended.

6. Albert Pujols hopes he has an agreement before next season, writes Derrick Goold.

7. The Royals claimed an infielder off waivers.

8. The Indians did some roster shuffling.

9. The White Sox lost Chris Chambliss to the Mariners. He has no ties to Eric Wedge.

10. Bob Melvin will be the first to interview with the Mets.

11. There is no guarantee that Jose Reyes will be a Met beyond the 2011 season, he says. In fact, it would seem the odds are pretty good that Reyes won't be a Met in 2012, and if the team struggles in the first half -- without Johan Santana -- then Reyes could be a nice chip on the trade market.

12. The Orioles are going to hire Wayne Kirby.

13. As expected, the Red Sox picked up the option of David Ortiz. Stan Grossfeld hung out on John Henry's private jet and talked to him about Ortiz and other stuff. The Sox balked at a deal of more years, writes John Tomase.

14. The Marlins kept coming back to Edwin Rodriguez in their managerial search, writes Juan Rodriguez.

15. Don Zimmer is coming back for another year with the Rays.

16. The Rays declined options on a couple of players they would like to retain, as Marc Topkin writes.

17. The Houston Astros expect to keep a low profile during free agency, writes Zachary Levine.

18. Ron Washington's deal is finished, writes Jeff Wilson.

19. The Mariners declined to pick up the option on Russell Branyan, writes Geoff Baker.

20. The Padres are moving their Triple-A team to Tucson.

21. Not surprisingly, the Giants did not pick up the option on Edgar Renteria.

22. The Giants will soon make an offer to Aubrey Huff, writes Andrew Baggarly.
[h3]Other stuff[/h3]
John Smoltz is going to play himself in a movie, writes Jennifer Brett.
• The Brewers like Ron Roenicke's style. So much for the reports that there were other front-runners for this job.

• The Phillies have an older coaching staff, writes Bill Conlin.

• Some Rockies prospects will be facing each other -- as quarterbacks, writes John Henderson.

• The Giants' parade kept transit agencies busy.

• Watched a lot of the Knicks-Bulls game, and it was like a Danilo Gallinari exhibition; the guy has some serious skills.

• Four days until the release of a book on a coaching legend who has touched many lives in the aftermath of incredible trauma.

And today will be better than yesterday.

http://[h3]
[h3]Bullpen options in Philly[/h3]
10:06AM ET

[h5]Philadelphia Phillies [/h5]

The bulk of the offseason attention in Philadelphia centers on whether there is any chance that free agent right fielder Jayson Werth will return, but David Murphy of the Philly Daily News cautions that the team also faces pivotal decisions regarding the bullpen.

The Phillies have just three relievers under contract for 2011, and one is Danys Baez, who was left off the postseason roster. Both Roy Halladay and Roy Oswalt pride themselves on pitching deep into games, but both are in their mid-30s and could benefit from a reduced workload made possible by a deep bullpen.

Righthander Chad Durbin, a workhorse the last three seasons, and Jose Contreras are free agents, so that could mean more work for in-house candidates such as Antonio Bastardo and Vance Worley.

Murphy thinks the Phils could consider Toronto lefty Scott Downs, whom the Phils eyed at the trade deadline, as well as fellow Blue Jay Jason Frasor. Another low-cost possibility is former Diamondbacks closer Chad Qualls, who is coming off a rough season.

http://[h3]Sabean: offer to Huff coming soon[/h3]
9:27AM ET

[h5]Aubrey Huff | Giants [/h5]

Wednesday was a day to celebrate for Aubrey Huff, who stole the show at the Giants World Series victory parade by raising his celebrated rally thong.

At some point in the next few days, Huff will get back to business and the general feeling is that he and the Giants have mutual interest in working out a new contract. A decision is not expected before the exclusive negotiating period that ended Sunday, but that is not a red flag because the team's offseason business was put on hold by a deep playoff run.

GM Brian Sabean said Thursday that an offer will be made to Huff "in a short amount of time," but added that Huff did not appear to be in a rush to make a decision.

The 33-year-old Huff didn't receive any other offers last winter before accepting $3 million to become a Giant. He went on to drive in 86 runs and Giants president Larry Baer said earlier this week that retaining Huff was a high priority.

Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News notes that Huff fired his agency, SFX, earlier this season. He could represent himself in negotiations, which often points to a quicker resolution.

http://[h3]The market for Greinke[/h3]
9:19AM ET

[h5]Zack Greinke | Royals [/h5]

If the Kansas City Royals decide to put Zack Greinke on the trade market -- and that presently lies as a big if -- the return for the former Cy Young Award winner is likely to be quite substantial. Here are some of the clubs -- and names -- that could come up in negotiations, if they ever occur.

We have to believe that despite the idea of Greinke pitching in New York tough to imagine, that the Yankees and even the Mets would make a phone call. Though SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets Wednesday that people close to Greinke say there is no chance the right-hander would OK a deal to New York, the Yankees could offer slugger Jesus Montero and/or left-hander Manny Banuelos as the headliner, and have the necessary pieces to compliment such a package deal. The Mets may not have said inventory, outside infield prospect Wilmer Flores and right-hander Jenrry Mejia, and Royals GM Dayton Moore may require more.

Moving forward with the thought that a smaller market club -- at least not the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies or Mets -- would suit Greinke better and give that club a better chance to extend the right-hander beyond 2012, the Texas Rangers could be major players for Greinke if they lose out on Cliff Lee this winter.

The Rangers have impact depth in their farm system and might be willing to include promising left-hander Derek Holland or prospect Martin Perez -- or both -- in such a trade.

Another interesting potential landing spot could be the St. Louis Cardinals if GM John Mozeliak sides with manager Tony LaRussa and begins to field calls for centerfielder Colby Rasmus. A deal centered around Rasmus could be ideal in landing a player such as Greinke.

The Red Sox, like the Yankees, would likely make the phone call, and could be asked for right-hander Casey Kelly and shortstop Jose Iglesias as two pieces of a trade, but it's unknown whether the club wants to spend even more on their starting rotation right now after committing five years -- four more -- to John Lackey and extending Josh Beckett last year.

http://[h3]Could Jeter leave the Bronx?[/h3]
9:15AM ET

[h5]Derek Jeter | Yankees [/h5]

The New York Yankees and Derek Jeter seem to be doing some verbal sparring over a new contract, but others teams seem to have little doubt that he will stay in the Bronx.

Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees' managing partner, hinted earlier this week that the "talks could get messy." Agent Casey Close, shot back on Wednesday, telling AOL FanHouse that the shortstop's value to the Yankees "cannot be overstated."

But a New York Post survey of 15 teams revealed very little interest in even discussing Jeter and what he is worth to other organizations. "It's going to take time," an industry source predicted. "But it will get done."

Jeter's 10-year, $189 million deal has come to a close at the end of the season and the Yankees face the delicate task of negotiating a new deal. Jeter, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman, will apparently ask the Yankees for a six-year contract, which sounds a few years too long for a 37-year-old.

Meanwhile, Mark Feinsand of the Daily News says Jeter will likely push for a four-year deal that would take him through his 40th birthday.

http://[h3]Posada moving to DH?[/h3]
8:57AM ET

[h5]Jorge Posada | Yankees [/h5]

Jorge Posada has been the No. 1 catcher for the New York Yankees for more than a decade, but the job may longer be his to lose.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News writes that the consensus in the Yankees' front office is that Jesus Montero, who turns 21 this month, is ready to become the starting catcher and will likely be given a chance to win the job in spring training.

Montero was nearly traded to the Mariners last July as the centerpiece of a deal for Cliff Lee before those talks fall apart. He is the jewel of the Yankees? farm system, and Posada?s declining defensive skills makes it easier to consider a change.

If Montero wins the job, Posada would likely be shifted to the designated hitter spot, with some backup catching duties mixed in. That could end up being a sticky situation with Posada, who takes great pride in his defensive work.

Feinsand said the plan would be for Montero to catch about 100 games with Posada and Francisco Cervelli sharing the rest of the duties. Austin Romine, another blue-chip catching prospect, would start at Triple-A.

Posada is on the hook for $13.1 million next season, so a trade is unlikely. He hit just .248 this season, making the Yankees less likely to put up with his defensive lapses.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Let the Lee sweepstakes begin[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers [/h5]

The Texas Rangers have exclusive negotiating rights with Cliff Lee until this weekend. That is a mere formality since there is no way that the star lefthander would sign before listening to what the New York Yankees have to say.

The Yankees have a history of sparing no expense and all signs point to them employing a full court press to sign Lee. In fact, Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to pursue outfielders Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, another indication that their free agent dollars are targeted at Lee.

Even with the Yankees in hot pursuit, no one is counting the Rangers out. According to Wednesday's New York Times, the Rangers have a reasonable shot at landing Lee because of their new ownership group and declining team debt.

Meanwhile, Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News writes that the odds are that the Rangers will lose Lee, so they better have a Plan B.

While the Rangers and Yankees are the obvious frontrunners, sources say the Washington Nationals are a potential sleeper team. "They're going to step up and try to get a top free agent," one baseball insider told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. "They'd like to make a splash."

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tim Kurkjian[/h5]
Yankees, Rangers leaders for Lee
"In his past 42 starts, he has played for four different teams and been handled by 10 different catchers. By mid-December, it could be five different teams. He is 32, left-handed and, despite two losses in the World Series, among the best postseason pitchers of all time. Lee has had opportunities to explore a contract extension with at least one of his most recent teams, but has resisted because he wants to experience full free agency. The New York Yankees, it would seem, will be the first and most aggressive pursuers of Lee. And the Yankees have to re-sign Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and see if they can get Andy Pettitte to pitch another season. The Rangers will have more money to spend than in previous offseasons, giving them a chance to re-sign Lee, who said after Game 5 of the World Series, "I'd love to play for the Rangers." He is, by far, the best free-agent starter out there, which should drive up his price even more, perhaps to five years at around $20 million per year."

http://[h3]Rox still looking for a catcher[/h3]
8:15AM ET

[h5]Colorado Rockies [/h5]

The Colorado Rockies may be no closer to deciding on a starting catcher even after Miguel Olivo was traded to the Blue Jays Thursday night for a player to be named.

The Blue Jays then declined the 2011 option on Olivo, buying out his $500,000 contract in hopes of landing a compensatory draft pick.

While the roster has been reduced, there are no guarantees that Chris Iannetta, who ended losing the bulk of the playing time to Olivo last season, will be the starter in 2011.

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies could explore trade talks for Angels catcher Mike Napoli or make a run at Victor Martinez, the top catcher on the free agent market. If any of those catchers ended up in Denver, the Rockies could look to trade Iannatta, who production has slipped dramatically in recent years, at a discount.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Olivo heads to free agency[/h3]
7:57AM ET

[h5]Miguel Olivo | Rockies [/h5]

Miguel Olivo is headed to free agency after a very brief stay with Toronto.

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos swung an NBA-like trade on Thursday night, acquiring Olivo from the Rockies and then declining to pick up his $2.5 million option, making him a free agent. Toronto assumed responsibility for the $500,000 buyout as well as the rights for any compensation Olivo will garner on the open market.

Olivo had a decent season in (.269, 14 HRs) to supplant Chris Iannetta as the Rockies' starter, although he struggled in the second half. The market for free agent catches beyond Victor Martinez is not particularly strong, so Olivo shouldn?t have trouble finding a job.

One possibility could be Cincinnati, where Ramon Hernandez is a free agent and prospect Devin Mesoraco may or may not be ready to take over.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Mets interview in-house candidates[/h3]
7:17AM ET

[h5]New York Mets [/h5]

More than a month after the end of the season, the http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-metsNew York Mets began interviews for their vacant managerial position Thursday.

Bob Melvin and Dave Jauss opened the process with interviews Thursday in New York.

Fellow in-house candidates Wally Backman, Terry Collins and Chip Hale will interview this weekend in California, the team announced. Ken Oberkfell, a sixth in-house managerial candidate, is expected to interview in the Dominican Republic next week when GM Sandy Alderson visits that country.

The main reason for the delay, of course, was the lengthy process of hiring Alderson, who said last week he hoped to make a decision on a manager within 30 days.

Other names rumored to be on the Mets' radar include Clint Hurdle, Lee Mazzilli and Pete Mackanin. The Mets would seemingly have to act quickly on Hurdle, who also is being courted by the Pirates.

Following the new manager's progress won't be as costly after the Mets announced that 2011 ticket prices will be slashed by an average of 14 percent.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Yanks may pass on Crawford, Werth[/h3]
7:07AM ET

[h5]New York Yankees [/h5]

Even the New York Yankees have to stay within a budget.

The franchise with a history of sparing no expense is likely to stage a full-court press to land left-hander Cliff Lee, but don't expect them to land Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, the top free agent outfielders on the market.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reported Thursday that the Yankees aren't planning to make a "hard charge" for Crawford or Werth. Feinsand says the solid seasons by Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher and the late-season emergence of Curtis Granderson have the Yankees convinced that paying top dollar for an outfielder isn't the most sensible way to spend their money.

A year ago, it appeared a foregone conclusion that the Yankees would pursue Crawford, who could command a six-year deal for around $15 million to $18 million per season. The absence of the Yankees would be good news for the Red Sox and Yankees, who are expected to be active in the Crawford sweepstakes.

Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com comes to the same conclusion, saying that the Yankees would love to land Crawford, but his acquisition is not deemed essential.

The Yankees also need to dedicate some time to re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, so it will be a busy offseason in the Bronx.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Lefty relievers[/h3]
6:54AM ET

[h5]Free agent left-handed relievers [/h5]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img]
It's typically more of a point for clubs to seek left-handed relief help at the trade deadline, but this past summer the asking price was too high and the likes of Scott Downs stayed put. Such a lack of deadline deals made for the lefty reliever could create a better market for them this winter, as clubs put together their roster for the 2011 season and look ahead.

Downs is joined in free agency by J.C. Romero, whose option was declined earlier this month by the Philadelphia Phillies, as well as Cincinnati's Arthur Rhodes and the Cardinals' Dennys Reyes. Randy Flores and Ron Mahay of the Twins are also available, while Darren Oliver's option vested for next season keeping him off the market for the first time since after the 2008 seasons.

Joe Beimel and Jeremy Affeldt are also free agents, and neither is expected to return to their former clubs.

Brian Fuentes, among the few lefty closers, is likely to seek a club that will return him to the 9th-inning role, but could be resigned to setup duty.

Clubs that could seek lefty relief help include the Detroit Tigers, Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets. The White Sox could jump into such a market if they jettison closer Bobby Jenks and make lefty Matt Thornton the closer.
[/h3]

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Manager Ron Washington has a new two-year contract, making him the skipper of the Texas Rangers through the 2012 season.

The club and Washington finalized the deal in a meeting Thursday morning at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington that included club president Nolan Ryan and general manager Jon Daniels.

[h4]Galloway & Co.: 11/4[/h4]
http://active.macromedia....lash.cab#version=8,0,0,0 height=70 width=86 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>http://a.espncdn.com/swf/...o_player_circular_v2.swf swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=86 HEIGHT=70 QUALITY=best SCALE=noorder wmode=transparent ID=flashPodcastSwf NAME=flash2 MENU=false DEVICEFONT=false FlashVars=&soundLink=http://c.espnradio.com/au...2010-11-04-181519.96.mp3 TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com...d_Version=ShockwaveFlash>

Rangers manager Ron Washington joins GAC to chat about his new contract with the team and how he plans to lure Cliff Lee back to the Rangers.

More Podcasts »

"I want to thank the Texas Rangers organization for an opportunity to lead this group for two more years and hopefully further," Washington said. "I had guys that Jon supplied me with that were baseball rats, guys that had a deep passion for the game the same way I have a deep passion for the game. It was easy to go out and be part of it. I want to thank this organization for believing in me, for supporting me and supporting everything we've done down there on the field."

Washington is tied with Buck Showalter for the third-most regular-season games (648) as manager of the Rangers. He is behind only Johnny Oates and Bobby Valentine on the all-time franchise list. Washington has 331 regular-season wins, the third most in club history, and his .511 career winning percentage is second-best by any Rangers manager.

Washington was the first manager to lead the Rangers to a playoff series victory as the club won Game 5 of the ALDS in Tampa. He then helped steer the team to the World Series with a six-game victory over the New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

"The first thing we wanted to do was making sure our field leaders and our manager was locked up and taken care of," Daniels said. "We're not in the postseason; we're not in the World Series without his leadership. What he's done from day one of changing the culture, creating a winning atmosphere, creating a winning expectation has been enormous.

"He has tremendous passion, love for the game, respect for the game, respect of the players. Our team feeds off that. It's no accident that we were a resilient club. That's what he brings."

Washington said Wednesday that he was disappointed his team didn't win the World Series, but he was eager to attempt to achieve that goal in 2011.

"It was a wonderful year," Washington said. "We came together as an organization, came together as a group. We did what we had to do to survive and make it to the World Series. We're disappointed we didn't win it, but definitely have a foundation to build on. We expect to be back."

Washington is one of only four current managers who have led teams to increased win totals in each of the past three years (Cincinnati's Dusty Baker, Philadelphia's Charlie Manuel and San Francisco's Bruce Bochy are the others). The Rangers reached the 90-win plateau in 2010 for the first time since 1999.

The defense-minded Washington, who was the Oakland Athletics' third-base coach for 10 seasons, was hired by the Rangers in 2007, beating out four other candidates for the position: Manny Acta, John Russell, Don Wakamatsu and Trey Hillman.

Daniels and then-owner Tom Hicks were won over by Washington's passion, ability to motivate and dogged pursuit of a fundamentally sound team built on pitching and defense.

When Ryan arrived, the new president liked how Washington had a team that played hard every night. But it wasn't all smooth sailing for the skipper.

[h4]Re-Upping The Rangers[/h4]
We hand you the keys to the Texas Rangers to decide who stays and who goes after a memorable trip.
Vote: Take 'Em or Trash 'Em?
Also: Rangers blog »   ESPN Dallas »

Washington's 2008 team got off to a 7-16 start and was on the hot seat. But the club improved and went on to finish the season with momentum. Then in the middle of the 2009 season, Washington failed a drug test and admitted using cocaine. Daniels and Ryan felt Washington was honest and had owned up to the mistake and they decided to stick with him. When the admission became public in spring training in 2010, Washington's players attended his news conference and rallied to his support.

Washington's 2010 team jumped in front in the AL West on June 8 and never fell behind. A 21-6 record in June helped build the lead, and the Rangers ended up clinching in Oakland with more than a week left in the season.

"He did a great job," team captain Michael Young said Wednesday. "He's the manager of the American champions. People talk about players and write about players, but the manager did [an] incredible job this year. We really fed off of him and I hope he fed off of us.

"He did a great job. Anything he gets right now, he deserves."

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Albert Pujols hopes to negotiate a contract extension for beyond 2011 with the St. Louis Cardinals.

St. Louis exercised a $16 million option for 2011 on Oct. 6 for the three-time NL MVP.

"I hope that before the season begins I get an extension," the 30-year-old Pujols said during a news conference Thursday.

The team has said there's no specific timetable for beginning negotiations on a new deal with Pujols, who can be a free agent after next year's World Series.

Pujols said he wants to spend the rest of his career with the Cardinals, "but that is something that I cannot control."

Pujols led the NL with 42 home runs, increasing his career total to 408, and won his first league RBIs title with 118. He batted .312, less than a percentage point behind team leader Matt Holliday.

He said it was his best season but was disappointed the Cardinals finished 86-76, five games behind the NL Central champion Cincinnati Reds.

"Personally it was a great season, but I feel bad because my team did not make it to the playoffs," he said.

Pujols also praised Mark McGwire, who just finished his first season as the Cardinals' hitting coach and agreed to stay on for next year.

"I believe that McGwire does not get the credit he deserves as the great batting coach that he is," Pujols said.

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Padres slugger Adrian Gonzalez is as good as gone after the 2011 season.

Both sides have figured for some time that the three-time All-Star would be too expensive to remain with his hometown team after next season. Nothing's changed after agent John Boggs had lunch this week with general manager Jed Hoyer.

"It's not a surprise," Hoyer said Thursday. "We sat down and confirmed that."

Boggs said it's "pretty much a fait accompli" that Gonzalez will test the free-agent market after the 2011 season.

"It's a situation where Jed and the Padres obviously know his value," Boggs said. "The question is, what are we going to seek. We're going to seek market value for Adrian Gonzalez. Obviously I don't think the Padres will dedicate that much of their salary structure to one player."

Barring any drastic developments, Hoyer said the Padres won't make an offer.

"It makes no sense in making offers that don't come close to what his desires are," Hoyer said.

The Padres exercised their 2011 option on Gonzalez on Tuesday. Originally worth $5.5 million, the option grew to $6.2 million based on escalators. His salary will increase by $100,000 if he wins a third Gold Glove award this fall. Next season is the final year of Gonzalez's team-friendly $15 million, five-year contract he signed in 2007.

"Nothing that's happened is unexpected," Hoyer said. "He's had a fantastic career and he wants to test out the free-agent market and see if he gets that franchise-player contract he's been working toward. To his credit, he signed a deal that has worked out very well for the club and he's never said a word about it. There's always been a desire to see what's on the free-agent market for him."

Gonzalez grew up in the San Diego area and was the No. 1 overall pick by the Florida Marlins in the 2000 amateur draft. He was obtained in a trade with the Texas Rangers before the 2006 season and has blossomed into one of the game's best first basemen. He hit .298 with 31 homers and 101 RBIs last season for San Diego, which was eliminated from playoff contention on the season's last day.

The next day Hoyer said that if Gonzalez wants Mark Teixeira or Ryan Howard money, "that's not something we're going to be able to do."

Howard agreed to a $125 million, five-year contract extension in April with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Teixeira finished the second season of a $180 million, eight-year contract with the New York Yankees.

"The type of contract that he will be seeking in free agency is something that only a handful of markets can support and San Diego is not one of them," Hoyer said.

Hoyer said he's had a cordial relationship with Boggs.

"I don't begrudge Adrian whatsoever," the GM said. "He's earned the right to make a lot of money."

In five seasons with San Diego, Gonzalez has 161 homers -- two shy of Nate Colbert's club record -- and 501 RBIs. Including parts of two seasons with Texas, he has 168 homers and 525 RBIs.

The left-hander set a franchise record with his fourth 30-homer season. His third 100-RBI season tied Phil Nevin for the most in club history.

Whether Gonzalez is with the Padres through the 2011 season remains to be seen.

"I anticipate him being our first baseman next year," Hoyer said. "I certainly hope he finishes the season with us. That means we'd have a good season."

The Padres went 90-72 despite opening the season with a payroll of $37.8 million, second-lowest in the majors. Hoyer expects the payroll to be higher next season.

Boggs said Gonzalez, coming off shoulder surgery, isn't focusing on free agency but on playing well "and bringing a championship to San Diego. We hope to get past the final day of the season with the Padres. Free agency will take care of itself."

DENVER -- The Colorado Rockies traded catcher Miguel Olivo to the Toronto Blue Jays for a player to be named.

The move by the Rockies, who had a 10 p.m. MT deadline to pick up his $2.5 million option for 2011, saves the club money and gives them flexibility in finding another catcher to share the duties with Chris Iannetta.

About 10 minutes before the deadline, Toronto declined the option, which had a $500,000 buyout. That made Olivo a free agent.

Olivo, 32, hit a career-best .269 with 14 homers and 58 RBIs as the Rockies' primary catcher last season, but he faded in the second half, when he hit just .193 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.

The Rockies also declined their $7 million option on left-hander Jeff Francis, whom they might try to bring back at a significantly reduced price.

In a March 1 post for the ESPN Stats & Information baseball blog on the worth of Derek Jeter, I wrote:

• Jeter has enjoyed a remarkable career, with no signs of slowing down, including an MVP-level season in 2009. How much Major League Baseball life will be left in Jeter's body in 2011, when he will be 37 years old?
One season later, we have a huge sign of Jeter slowing down. In 2010, he put up one of his worst -- if not the worst -- season of his career. It was still a good season by the standards of an average ballplayer, but not by his own standards. The question stands: How big will his next contract be? This question is particularly relevant considering the comments of Jeter's agent, who yesterday said that Jeter's value to the Yankees, "cannot be overstated."

As I also wrote in my earlier piece, to determine his value we need to figure out how good we think he will be from 2011 onward. One way to determine this is to use a metric called WAR (wins above replacement), which I helped develop and accounts for hitting, fielding and baserunning. BaseballProjection.com has the annual WAR for all players through 2010, and the numbers can be used to put Jeter's future value in context.
While Jeter accumulated a total of 15 wins in his past four seasons, he earned less than two of those wins last year at age 36. We need to find a representative sample of players who were great over a period of three years, but followed that up with a less-than-stellar season.

In order to find a representative sample, I looked for all players in MLB history who: (a) were born in 1895 or later, (b) in the last season had at least 500 PA and at most 2.0 WAR, (c) in the three seasons preceding the last had at least 2.5 WAR in each season, (d) in these previous four seasons had a total of at least 2,000 PA and at least 12 WAR, (e) came into the upcoming (fifth) season between 36 and 38 years old and finally, (f) ended the fifth season with at least 150 PA.

Got all that? Sweet.

The birth-year parameter was to remove any old-timers who played under much different conditions (Babe Ruth was born in 1895). My sample at this point is 11,096 players.

The last-season parameter was to make sure we had someone with a down year, but still played full-time. I'm now down to 1,451 players.

The preceding-three-season parameter was to make sure he at least performed as a good player each year. I'm left with 179 players.

The four-season parameter was to make sure we had a full-time player who was overall at least very good. Now I've got 130 players.

The fifth-season parameter was to make sure we have an older player, like Jeter. We're down to 21 players.

The last parameter was to make sure it included players who were expected to contribute at least a little bit (trying to remove anyone that came into the season injured or out of action for whatever reason). Normally, you don't want to use data from an upcoming season, but in this case, I needed to be kind to Jeter, and I needed to find a proxy of health entering this fifth season. That one knocked out Eddie Mathews and Minnie Minoso. Like I said, we're trying to find really healthy players, and given the list that came back, I think you can argue that removing these two players is still not enough.

This left me with 19 players. The number in parentheses, WAR4, is the wins above replacement in their last 4 seasons. This list is organized in terms of decreasing age:

Bret Boone (20.1)
Bernie Williams (14.
glasses.gif

John Olerud (15.9)
Jeff Bagwell (16.3)
Jay Bell (14.9)
Cal Ripken (13.0)
Brett Butler (14.9)
Jack Clark (12.
glasses.gif

Robin Yount (15.3)
Dave Winfield (12.9)
Cecil Cooper (15.3)
Ron Cey (12.2)
Jose Cruz (13.0)
Davey Lopes (13.3)
Sal Bando (14.6)
Joe Morgan (29.7)
Willie Davis (14.5)
Billy Williams (18.1)
Paul Waner (15.9)

As you can see, we have a lot of players from recent seasons. And other than Waner, all were born since 1938. The average WAR for these players in their last four seasons was 15.7, with a median of 14.9, which is comparable to Jeter's 15.1 WAR from 2007-2010. Morgan is the best player in the bunch.

At this point, we should be feeling fairly good that we've met our objective of finding a representative sample of ballplayers that are Jeter-like, to the extent that that is even possible.

1104Morgan.jpg

Getty ImagesIf you think Jeter will hold up like Joe Morgan did late in his career, pay him more.

How did these 19 players do in their next season? Their average WAR was 1.7. We had two superstar seasons, from Jose Cruz and Dave Winfield, and two horrible seasons (Sal Bando, Bret Boone). In the season after that, they averaged 1.1 wins. In the third through fifth seasons after, they averaged 0.5 to 0.6 wins each season. In their sixth season, they averaged 0.2 wins.

Overall, for the rest of their careers, these 21 players averaged 4.6 WAR. With only 4.6 WAR of life left, and since wins are valued at about $5 million each on the free-agent market, that means that Jeter has about $25 million of value left; obviously there is a huge level of uncertainty here.

Here's what these guys did for the rest of their careers:

Jose Cruz (18.4)
Joe Morgan (17.7)
Davey Lopes (10.6)
Dave Winfield (8.6)

We can call those guys "Tier 1."

Then there's Tier 2:

Paul Waner (6.9)
Robin Yount (4.9)
Cal Ripken (4.
glasses.gif

Brett Butler (4.5)
Ron Cey (4.3)
Jeff Bagwell (4.0)
Billy Williams (3.9)

And finally, the lower tier:

John Olerud (1.1)
Willie Davis (0.9)
Jack Clark (0.1)
Bernie Williams (minus-0.1)
Cecil Cooper (minus-0.1)
Sal Bando (minus-0.
glasses.gif

Jay Bell (minus-1.0)
Bret Boone (minus-1.
glasses.gif

If Jeter is a lot more like Cruz, Morgan, Lopes and Winfield (average of 13.8 wins), then he's got plenty of good value left in his career -- you could argue $50 million to $100 million; but those guys are just four of the 19 players in our sample. That means that we should be about 20 percent sure that Jeter has that much value left.

From Williams through to Waner, we have seven players, averaging 4.8 WAR. So about 37 percent of our players have a value of $25 million left in their careers.

Then we have the final eight remaining players -- more than 40 percent of the entire group -- who had no value left.

Overall, 80 percent of these 19 players have a value of nothing to $25 million, and 20 percent have a value around $75 million.

That's an average of $25 million, which -- removing what he means to the Yankees from the equation, which is intangible and can't be measured -- seems to be what his next deal should be. Last year, Placido Polanco got a three-year, $18 million deal. That's roughly where Jeter is right now. The maximum deal in terms of matching historic expectations would be four years, $40 million. The Yanks could easily end up on the hook for five years, $60 million. That's overpaying. It's been a fantastic career, but it's time to wind down that clock.

There are 168 free agents available so far, according to the most recent press release distributed by the Major League Baseball Players Association. But you might not be hearing as much buzz about them if agents and club executives stick to the rules agreed to by the Players Association and Major League Baseball.

According to agents and executives familiar with the mandate, new guidelines have been put in place designed to restrict the amount of negotiating that goes on through the media.

Both sides would have some motivation for this. Team executives are furious when their clubs are wrongly portrayed as having interest in a given free agent. At the same time, agents get angry when clubs illuminate their position on a given player for reporters, believing that this practice is a form of collusion.

What the precise rules are, and how they would be policed or enforced, are not known. E-mails that were sent to high-ranking officials within the players' association and Major League Baseball late Thursday were not immediately returned.

On the face of it, a media clampdown might seem to be a worthy goal for the two sides, but impractical in the face of how reporters and their sources communicate. If an agent for a given player or a club executive feels a need to address the negotiations for a given player, all he has to do to cover his own tracks and create deniability is use these two words: "On background."

And the mechanism by which the players' association and MLB would investigate media leaks is unknown; maybe these are rules put in place that both sides want the participants to enforce on their own, like an honor code.

Maybe the greatest indication we could see that the rules are actually working would be if we never saw another "mystery team" tied to a Scott Boras client.
[h3]Sparky[/h3]
The other day, I was fortunate enough to meet Kyle Maynard, a remarkable person without hands or feet who has chased his dream of becoming an MMA fighter, and he said something interesting: Every time you have negative thoughts, you are fueling your opponent. This was not a problem for Sparky Anderson, who has passed away at age 76.

I dealt with Anderson a few times before he retired, and a few times afterward, and in each case he was warm and generous. It was evident that he was a happy person: happy in his work, in his interaction with others, even within his most mundane obligations. Sparky seemed to draw all that he could out of his life.

His modesty served him well, writes Hal McCoy. Fame never changed him, writes Paul Daugherty.

Here's what Ernie Harwell wrote about Sparky. He touched others outside of baseball, writes Jo-Ann Barnas. Bud Selig noted that Anderson would not miss the Hall of Fame ceremony, as John Lowe writes. Lynn Henning is thankful for the time spent with Sparky.

Here are some little-known facts about Sparky. Baseball has lost one of its greats, writes Tom Gage. Sparky was one of the best, writes Tim Sullivan. Thomas Boswell has Sparky reflections here. Baseball has lost something great, writes Joe Henderson.

Managers with 2,000 wins in MLB history:

1. Connie Mack: 3,731
2. John McGraw: 2,763
3. Tony La Russa: 2,638
4. Bobby Cox: 2,504
5. Joe Torre: 2,326
6. Sparky Anderson: 2,194
7. Bucky Harris: 2,158
8. Joe McCarthy: 2,125
9. Walter Alston: 2,130
10. Leo Durocher: 2,008

He used to hang out at HoJo's, writes Richard Justice.
[h3]The Jeter situation[/h3]
insider_g_djeter_300.jpg

Getty ImagesDerek Jeter is an icon, but the Yanks have shifted their stance.

If you think the Yankees are ready to shower tens of millions of dollars on Derek Jeter because they did so with Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada and Mariano Rivera three winters ago, well, it's worth remembering the context.

It was in the fall of 2007 that the Steinbrenner sons first became the public faces of the franchise, as their aging father retreated -- and it was in those first days that the relationship between the team and Joe Torre fractured. Torre seized the public-relations high ground on his way out the door, and the Steinbrenner sons were immediately the targets of much public criticism. Torre spoke of being shoved out by faces he didn't know -- the Steinbrenner sons.

So the pressure on Hal and Hank was immediate and overpowering -- they then went above and beyond to re-sign Rodriguez, Posada and Rivera. Way above and beyond. Executives within the industry believe the Yankees probably gave Rodriguez at least $100 million more than any team would have been willing to offer, and that under normal circumstances, the Yankees would have held the line on the Posada negotiations at a three-year offer, rather than four. There were folks with the Yankees' baseball operations who would have preferred to just let Rodriguez and Posada move on, rather than overpay them.

[h3][/h3]
Executives within the industry believe the Yankees probably gave Rodriguez at least $100 million more than any team would have been willing to offer.

But the Steinbrenner sons, in those first days on the job, relented, and now the Rodriguez contract is all but certain to be an organizational sinkhole for years to come. He has seven years remaining on his deal, at a time when rival scouts believe his skills are in clear decline. Rivera has maintained his pre-eminence throughout his contract, but Posada's contract does, in fact, appear to be a bridge too far by one year.

Do not assume, then, that the Yankees feel obligated to pay Jeter the way that they paid Rodriguez; rather, they are intent on not repeating the mistake of investing huge dollars in an aging player.

They want to keep Jeter, and they are willing to pay him more than any other team will pay him. But the Steinbrenner sons are in a completely different time and place for these negotiations than they were when they gave a blank check to Rodriguez.

The disciplined Hal Steinbrenner will not be anything like his dad, writes Ken Davidoff.

Speaking of the Yankees: Jesus Montero will get a chance to be the team's regular catcher in 2011, with Jorge Posada shifting to designated hitter.
[h3]Lee's free agency[/h3]
Kevin Sherrington has a Plan B if the Rangers lose out on Cliff Lee.

Keep an eye on the Rangers making a move for Zack Greinke, a player they have talked about extensively before. They have the kind of talent that the Royals would require to make a deal if Texas got invested in the conversations.
[h3]Moves, deals and decisions[/h3]
1. The Jays cut ties with Kevin Gregg, and made a trade that they hope results in a draft pick.
[h4]Buster's New Book[/h4]
busterbook2.jpg
Buster Olney is the author of the forthcoming book "recipient[/color] of the Jimmy V Award at the ESPYS.

"Surprising and unforgettable." - Mike Krzyzewski

"Olney knows the beating heart of life and the pulse of humanity that makes sports matter." - George F. Will

"A true inspiration." - Pat Summitt

2. The Phillies' free-agent menu includes relief help, as David Murphy writes. Scott Downs would be a perfect for Philadelphia.

3. The Pirates are close to picking their next manager.

4. The Pirates are seeking pitching help, writes Rob Biertempfel; Jeremy Bonderman is mentioned within this piece as one possible target.

5. Charlie Samuels, the Mets' clubhouse manager, has been suspended.

6. Albert Pujols hopes he has an agreement before next season, writes Derrick Goold.

7. The Royals claimed an infielder off waivers.

8. The Indians did some roster shuffling.

9. The White Sox lost Chris Chambliss to the Mariners. He has no ties to Eric Wedge.

10. Bob Melvin will be the first to interview with the Mets.

11. There is no guarantee that Jose Reyes will be a Met beyond the 2011 season, he says. In fact, it would seem the odds are pretty good that Reyes won't be a Met in 2012, and if the team struggles in the first half -- without Johan Santana -- then Reyes could be a nice chip on the trade market.

12. The Orioles are going to hire Wayne Kirby.

13. As expected, the Red Sox picked up the option of David Ortiz. Stan Grossfeld hung out on John Henry's private jet and talked to him about Ortiz and other stuff. The Sox balked at a deal of more years, writes John Tomase.

14. The Marlins kept coming back to Edwin Rodriguez in their managerial search, writes Juan Rodriguez.

15. Don Zimmer is coming back for another year with the Rays.

16. The Rays declined options on a couple of players they would like to retain, as Marc Topkin writes.

17. The Houston Astros expect to keep a low profile during free agency, writes Zachary Levine.

18. Ron Washington's deal is finished, writes Jeff Wilson.

19. The Mariners declined to pick up the option on Russell Branyan, writes Geoff Baker.

20. The Padres are moving their Triple-A team to Tucson.

21. Not surprisingly, the Giants did not pick up the option on Edgar Renteria.

22. The Giants will soon make an offer to Aubrey Huff, writes Andrew Baggarly.
[h3]Other stuff[/h3]
John Smoltz is going to play himself in a movie, writes Jennifer Brett.
• The Brewers like Ron Roenicke's style. So much for the reports that there were other front-runners for this job.

• The Phillies have an older coaching staff, writes Bill Conlin.

• Some Rockies prospects will be facing each other -- as quarterbacks, writes John Henderson.

• The Giants' parade kept transit agencies busy.

• Watched a lot of the Knicks-Bulls game, and it was like a Danilo Gallinari exhibition; the guy has some serious skills.

• Four days until the release of a book on a coaching legend who has touched many lives in the aftermath of incredible trauma.

And today will be better than yesterday.

http://[h3]
[h3]Bullpen options in Philly[/h3]
10:06AM ET

[h5]Philadelphia Phillies [/h5]

The bulk of the offseason attention in Philadelphia centers on whether there is any chance that free agent right fielder Jayson Werth will return, but David Murphy of the Philly Daily News cautions that the team also faces pivotal decisions regarding the bullpen.

The Phillies have just three relievers under contract for 2011, and one is Danys Baez, who was left off the postseason roster. Both Roy Halladay and Roy Oswalt pride themselves on pitching deep into games, but both are in their mid-30s and could benefit from a reduced workload made possible by a deep bullpen.

Righthander Chad Durbin, a workhorse the last three seasons, and Jose Contreras are free agents, so that could mean more work for in-house candidates such as Antonio Bastardo and Vance Worley.

Murphy thinks the Phils could consider Toronto lefty Scott Downs, whom the Phils eyed at the trade deadline, as well as fellow Blue Jay Jason Frasor. Another low-cost possibility is former Diamondbacks closer Chad Qualls, who is coming off a rough season.

http://[h3]Sabean: offer to Huff coming soon[/h3]
9:27AM ET

[h5]Aubrey Huff | Giants [/h5]

Wednesday was a day to celebrate for Aubrey Huff, who stole the show at the Giants World Series victory parade by raising his celebrated rally thong.

At some point in the next few days, Huff will get back to business and the general feeling is that he and the Giants have mutual interest in working out a new contract. A decision is not expected before the exclusive negotiating period that ended Sunday, but that is not a red flag because the team's offseason business was put on hold by a deep playoff run.

GM Brian Sabean said Thursday that an offer will be made to Huff "in a short amount of time," but added that Huff did not appear to be in a rush to make a decision.

The 33-year-old Huff didn't receive any other offers last winter before accepting $3 million to become a Giant. He went on to drive in 86 runs and Giants president Larry Baer said earlier this week that retaining Huff was a high priority.

Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News notes that Huff fired his agency, SFX, earlier this season. He could represent himself in negotiations, which often points to a quicker resolution.

http://[h3]The market for Greinke[/h3]
9:19AM ET

[h5]Zack Greinke | Royals [/h5]

If the Kansas City Royals decide to put Zack Greinke on the trade market -- and that presently lies as a big if -- the return for the former Cy Young Award winner is likely to be quite substantial. Here are some of the clubs -- and names -- that could come up in negotiations, if they ever occur.

We have to believe that despite the idea of Greinke pitching in New York tough to imagine, that the Yankees and even the Mets would make a phone call. Though SI.com's Jon Heyman tweets Wednesday that people close to Greinke say there is no chance the right-hander would OK a deal to New York, the Yankees could offer slugger Jesus Montero and/or left-hander Manny Banuelos as the headliner, and have the necessary pieces to compliment such a package deal. The Mets may not have said inventory, outside infield prospect Wilmer Flores and right-hander Jenrry Mejia, and Royals GM Dayton Moore may require more.

Moving forward with the thought that a smaller market club -- at least not the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies or Mets -- would suit Greinke better and give that club a better chance to extend the right-hander beyond 2012, the Texas Rangers could be major players for Greinke if they lose out on Cliff Lee this winter.

The Rangers have impact depth in their farm system and might be willing to include promising left-hander Derek Holland or prospect Martin Perez -- or both -- in such a trade.

Another interesting potential landing spot could be the St. Louis Cardinals if GM John Mozeliak sides with manager Tony LaRussa and begins to field calls for centerfielder Colby Rasmus. A deal centered around Rasmus could be ideal in landing a player such as Greinke.

The Red Sox, like the Yankees, would likely make the phone call, and could be asked for right-hander Casey Kelly and shortstop Jose Iglesias as two pieces of a trade, but it's unknown whether the club wants to spend even more on their starting rotation right now after committing five years -- four more -- to John Lackey and extending Josh Beckett last year.

http://[h3]Could Jeter leave the Bronx?[/h3]
9:15AM ET

[h5]Derek Jeter | Yankees [/h5]

The New York Yankees and Derek Jeter seem to be doing some verbal sparring over a new contract, but others teams seem to have little doubt that he will stay in the Bronx.

Hal Steinbrenner, the Yankees' managing partner, hinted earlier this week that the "talks could get messy." Agent Casey Close, shot back on Wednesday, telling AOL FanHouse that the shortstop's value to the Yankees "cannot be overstated."

But a New York Post survey of 15 teams revealed very little interest in even discussing Jeter and what he is worth to other organizations. "It's going to take time," an industry source predicted. "But it will get done."

Jeter's 10-year, $189 million deal has come to a close at the end of the season and the Yankees face the delicate task of negotiating a new deal. Jeter, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman, will apparently ask the Yankees for a six-year contract, which sounds a few years too long for a 37-year-old.

Meanwhile, Mark Feinsand of the Daily News says Jeter will likely push for a four-year deal that would take him through his 40th birthday.

http://[h3]Posada moving to DH?[/h3]
8:57AM ET

[h5]Jorge Posada | Yankees [/h5]

Jorge Posada has been the No. 1 catcher for the New York Yankees for more than a decade, but the job may longer be his to lose.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News writes that the consensus in the Yankees' front office is that Jesus Montero, who turns 21 this month, is ready to become the starting catcher and will likely be given a chance to win the job in spring training.

Montero was nearly traded to the Mariners last July as the centerpiece of a deal for Cliff Lee before those talks fall apart. He is the jewel of the Yankees? farm system, and Posada?s declining defensive skills makes it easier to consider a change.

If Montero wins the job, Posada would likely be shifted to the designated hitter spot, with some backup catching duties mixed in. That could end up being a sticky situation with Posada, who takes great pride in his defensive work.

Feinsand said the plan would be for Montero to catch about 100 games with Posada and Francisco Cervelli sharing the rest of the duties. Austin Romine, another blue-chip catching prospect, would start at Triple-A.

Posada is on the hook for $13.1 million next season, so a trade is unlikely. He hit just .248 this season, making the Yankees less likely to put up with his defensive lapses.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Let the Lee sweepstakes begin[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers [/h5]

The Texas Rangers have exclusive negotiating rights with Cliff Lee until this weekend. That is a mere formality since there is no way that the star lefthander would sign before listening to what the New York Yankees have to say.

The Yankees have a history of sparing no expense and all signs point to them employing a full court press to sign Lee. In fact, Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reports the Yankees aren't planning to pursue outfielders Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, another indication that their free agent dollars are targeted at Lee.

Even with the Yankees in hot pursuit, no one is counting the Rangers out. According to Wednesday's New York Times, the Rangers have a reasonable shot at landing Lee because of their new ownership group and declining team debt.

Meanwhile, Kevin Sherrington of the Dallas Morning News writes that the odds are that the Rangers will lose Lee, so they better have a Plan B.

While the Rangers and Yankees are the obvious frontrunners, sources say the Washington Nationals are a potential sleeper team. "They're going to step up and try to get a top free agent," one baseball insider told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. "They'd like to make a splash."

- Doug Mittler

insider2_64x36.jpg
[h5]Tim Kurkjian[/h5]
Yankees, Rangers leaders for Lee
"In his past 42 starts, he has played for four different teams and been handled by 10 different catchers. By mid-December, it could be five different teams. He is 32, left-handed and, despite two losses in the World Series, among the best postseason pitchers of all time. Lee has had opportunities to explore a contract extension with at least one of his most recent teams, but has resisted because he wants to experience full free agency. The New York Yankees, it would seem, will be the first and most aggressive pursuers of Lee. And the Yankees have to re-sign Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, and see if they can get Andy Pettitte to pitch another season. The Rangers will have more money to spend than in previous offseasons, giving them a chance to re-sign Lee, who said after Game 5 of the World Series, "I'd love to play for the Rangers." He is, by far, the best free-agent starter out there, which should drive up his price even more, perhaps to five years at around $20 million per year."

http://[h3]Rox still looking for a catcher[/h3]
8:15AM ET

[h5]Colorado Rockies [/h5]

The Colorado Rockies may be no closer to deciding on a starting catcher even after Miguel Olivo was traded to the Blue Jays Thursday night for a player to be named.

The Blue Jays then declined the 2011 option on Olivo, buying out his $500,000 contract in hopes of landing a compensatory draft pick.

While the roster has been reduced, there are no guarantees that Chris Iannetta, who ended losing the bulk of the playing time to Olivo last season, will be the starter in 2011.

Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies could explore trade talks for Angels catcher Mike Napoli or make a run at Victor Martinez, the top catcher on the free agent market. If any of those catchers ended up in Denver, the Rockies could look to trade Iannatta, who production has slipped dramatically in recent years, at a discount.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Olivo heads to free agency[/h3]
7:57AM ET

[h5]Miguel Olivo | Rockies [/h5]

Miguel Olivo is headed to free agency after a very brief stay with Toronto.

Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos swung an NBA-like trade on Thursday night, acquiring Olivo from the Rockies and then declining to pick up his $2.5 million option, making him a free agent. Toronto assumed responsibility for the $500,000 buyout as well as the rights for any compensation Olivo will garner on the open market.

Olivo had a decent season in (.269, 14 HRs) to supplant Chris Iannetta as the Rockies' starter, although he struggled in the second half. The market for free agent catches beyond Victor Martinez is not particularly strong, so Olivo shouldn?t have trouble finding a job.

One possibility could be Cincinnati, where Ramon Hernandez is a free agent and prospect Devin Mesoraco may or may not be ready to take over.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Mets interview in-house candidates[/h3]
7:17AM ET

[h5]New York Mets [/h5]

More than a month after the end of the season, the http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nym/new-york-metsNew York Mets began interviews for their vacant managerial position Thursday.

Bob Melvin and Dave Jauss opened the process with interviews Thursday in New York.

Fellow in-house candidates Wally Backman, Terry Collins and Chip Hale will interview this weekend in California, the team announced. Ken Oberkfell, a sixth in-house managerial candidate, is expected to interview in the Dominican Republic next week when GM Sandy Alderson visits that country.

The main reason for the delay, of course, was the lengthy process of hiring Alderson, who said last week he hoped to make a decision on a manager within 30 days.

Other names rumored to be on the Mets' radar include Clint Hurdle, Lee Mazzilli and Pete Mackanin. The Mets would seemingly have to act quickly on Hurdle, who also is being courted by the Pirates.

Following the new manager's progress won't be as costly after the Mets announced that 2011 ticket prices will be slashed by an average of 14 percent.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Yanks may pass on Crawford, Werth[/h3]
7:07AM ET

[h5]New York Yankees [/h5]

Even the New York Yankees have to stay within a budget.

The franchise with a history of sparing no expense is likely to stage a full-court press to land left-hander Cliff Lee, but don't expect them to land Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, the top free agent outfielders on the market.

Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News reported Thursday that the Yankees aren't planning to make a "hard charge" for Crawford or Werth. Feinsand says the solid seasons by Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher and the late-season emergence of Curtis Granderson have the Yankees convinced that paying top dollar for an outfielder isn't the most sensible way to spend their money.

A year ago, it appeared a foregone conclusion that the Yankees would pursue Crawford, who could command a six-year deal for around $15 million to $18 million per season. The absence of the Yankees would be good news for the Red Sox and Yankees, who are expected to be active in the Crawford sweepstakes.

Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com comes to the same conclusion, saying that the Yankees would love to land Crawford, but his acquisition is not deemed essential.

The Yankees also need to dedicate some time to re-signing Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera, so it will be a busy offseason in the Bronx.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Lefty relievers[/h3]
6:54AM ET

[h5]Free agent left-handed relievers [/h5]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/lrg/trans/mlb.gif[/img]
It's typically more of a point for clubs to seek left-handed relief help at the trade deadline, but this past summer the asking price was too high and the likes of Scott Downs stayed put. Such a lack of deadline deals made for the lefty reliever could create a better market for them this winter, as clubs put together their roster for the 2011 season and look ahead.

Downs is joined in free agency by J.C. Romero, whose option was declined earlier this month by the Philadelphia Phillies, as well as Cincinnati's Arthur Rhodes and the Cardinals' Dennys Reyes. Randy Flores and Ron Mahay of the Twins are also available, while Darren Oliver's option vested for next season keeping him off the market for the first time since after the 2008 seasons.

Joe Beimel and Jeremy Affeldt are also free agents, and neither is expected to return to their former clubs.

Brian Fuentes, among the few lefty closers, is likely to seek a club that will return him to the 9th-inning role, but could be resigned to setup duty.

Clubs that could seek lefty relief help include the Detroit Tigers, Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets. The White Sox could jump into such a market if they jettison closer Bobby Jenks and make lefty Matt Thornton the closer.
[/h3]

Whoever signs Jayson Werth is going to be extremely disappointed....unless he goes to another stacked lineup in a whiffle ball park. He wants a Matt Holliday type contract?
laugh.gif

I see him being a .270 hitter with a max of 30 jacks if he goes somewhere else.....stats that are far worse than the contract he wants. God I hope the Giants dont make a move for him.

Whoever signs Jayson Werth is going to be extremely disappointed....unless he goes to another stacked lineup in a whiffle ball park. He wants a Matt Holliday type contract?
laugh.gif

I see him being a .270 hitter with a max of 30 jacks if he goes somewhere else.....stats that are far worse than the contract he wants. God I hope the Giants dont make a move for him.

proshares with the info
pimp.gif

bout to read this with a cup of coffee and a muffin

proshares with the info
pimp.gif

bout to read this with a cup of coffee and a muffin

Back
Top Bottom