Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Junior Dos Santos is set to fight Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovoc at UFC 103
After conflicting reports and questions about Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic's standing with the Japanese-based DREAM organization and the UFC, the Croatian fighter is, in fact, returning to the octagon.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported on Wednesday that Junior Dos Santos (8-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) had been pulled from a UFC 102 bout with Justin McCully, and sources close to the negotiations now tell us he is set to fight fellow heavyweight Filipovic (25-6-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) at UFC 103.

The event takes place Sept. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, Texas, and airs live on pay-per-view.

It's unknown if the heavyweight clash will serve as the night's main event.

After a nearly two-year-long split from the UFC, Filipovic returned to the organization last month and defeated Mustapha Al Turk at UFC 99 in Cologne, Germany. During a media conference call to announce his return and late addition to the UFC 99 card, Filipovic said he considered his first run in the UFC, which included a 1-2 record and losses to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo, a "black mark" on his career.

Filipovic also said he wanted to make a run at the UFC title with his return to the organization. On the same call, UFC President Dana White announced he had signed Filipovic to a rare one-fight deal - with a verbal agreement that a multi-fight contract would be signed after UFC 99. White said it was the first time in his history with the organization he agreed to such a deal.

However, just hours after the event, White told Yahoo! Sports that Filipovic "[expletived] me" and that the fighter informed him he had signed a three-fight deal with the Japanese-based DREAM organization.

"Isn't that a dirty [expletive] thing to do?" White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic's deal with DREAM. "He [expletived] me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal, and he [expletived] me."

Even as Filipovic told Croatian media outlets that it was a simple misunderstanding and that he hadn't signed with the Japanese promotion, a DREAM official told USA Today the organization had, in fact, secured a deal with Filipovic.

Last week, though, Croatian outlets reported that UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta had flown to the fighter's home and signed Filipovic to a deal that would keep him in the UFC. And on Wednesday, Dos Santos confirmed to GracieMag.com he had been pulled from the UFC 102 card and was slated to fight at UFC 103, possibly against Filipovic in the night's main event.

With his new UFC deal apparently done, Filipovic's current status with DREAM is unknown.

Regardless, Filipovic enters UFC 103 with three wins (and one no-contest) in his past four fights. All three victories came via first-round stoppage, though Filipovic was losing the September 2008 fight with Alistair Overeem before an illegal knee to Filipovic's groin forced a no-contest. There was also some controversy in the win over Al-Turk after the bout's referee didn't see an illegal (and inadvertent) eye poke from Filipovic that forced his opponent to cover up. Filipovic pounced on Al-Turk and forced a first-round TKO stoppage just seconds later.

Prior to the fight, Filipovic said a surgically repaired knee had felt its best in years and that he is again fighting at 100 percent.

He now faces a stern test in Dos Santos, a rising heavyweight contender who followed an upset TKO win over Fabricio Werdum in October with a dominating 54-second knockout of Stefan Struve in February at UFC 95. A win over Filipovic could thrust the Brazilian fighter into immediate title contention.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15450/yes...-fight-mirko-cro-cop-filipovoc-at-ufc-103.mma

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and a big
indifferent.gif
to all that jumped to conclusion about CC without even knowing what wasgoing on. Dangerous fight for him but still glad he's fighting in the UFC. Hopefully the 05/06 CC comes back and gives us a standup war with Dos Santos.

The fact that Jon Jones is on the undercard makes me sad. However, I can almost guarantee that he will be the first undercard fight shown. The guy iselectric. I just hope he worked on his cardio a bit.

**EDIT**
And now this is my lucky 777 post, I guarantee he wins. Bet the house.

jon-jones-suplexes-stephan-bonnar.jpg

JonesKnee.aim640.jpg

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^^I came in here to post the news, I can't wait to see Dos Santos KO his %** back to Japan so he can fight the cans he wants every 3 months.

Who watched the 100 countdown? Brock was funny, talking about how he tapped like 10 times before Maz stopped the fight. Lol.

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

Who watched the 100 countdown? Brock was funny, talking about how he tapped like 10 times before Maz stopped the fight. Lol.

laugh.gif
@ knocking Mazzagatti's moustache off.

it was reminiscent of that fakery and swill he used to participate in

didnt even know how to properly tap in the first place.

Originally Posted by nyckone

anyone going to the fan expo? i am going tomorrow to check it out.

Lucky. Take pics and post them when you get back.
i am without a real camera at the moment
frown.gif
but, i will takepics with blackberry and post em up tomorrow night.

I saw it, Brock is a character and a funny dude.
laugh.gif

I'm pulling for Thiago Alves to upset GSP but I don't know, the pressure of a title fight might get to him and GSP might end up overwhelming him. Plus, GSP has them nasty looking Dikembe Mutombo elbows.
sick.gif

Main event:

UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar (3-1) vs. Interim Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (12-3)
170 lbs.: UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre (18-2) vs. Thiago Alves (16-3)
170 lbs.: Jon Fitch (18-3) vs. Paulo Thiago (11-0)
185 lbs.: Dan Henderson (24-7) vs. Michael Bisping (17-1)
185 lbs.: Yoshihiro Akiyama (12-1) vs. Alan Belcher (14-5)

Under card (May not be broadcast):

205 lbs.: Stephan Bonnar (11-5) vs. Mark Coleman (15-9)
205 lbs.: Jon Jones (8-0) vs. Jake O'Brien (11-2)
170 lbs.: TJ Grant (14-2) vs Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim (11-0-1)
155 lbs.: Mac Danzig (18-6-1) vs. Jim Miller (13-2)
185 lbs.: CB Dollaway (8-1) vs. Tom Lawlor (5-1)
155 lbs.: Matt Grice (9-2) vs. Shannon Gugerty (11-3)

anthony johnson arrested.

UFC welterweight, Anthony Johnson, was arrested in Hayward, CA with 2 separate felony charges, and a misdemeanor charge for events that took place there on June 27.

When contacted by MMAWeekly.com on Thursday, representatives from the Hayward, CA Police Department confirmed Johnson's arrest, along with the charges he faces. According to the report, Johnson was held for 2 felony charges which included penal code 422 for criminal threats, and penal code 591, for damage to a power line, which according to police representatives usually means cut telephone lines.

Alternate reports from MMAMania.com have surfaced stating that it was actually a cell phone that was destroyed, which prevented the call to police for an emergency.

Johnson was also arrested with a misdemeanor charge of penal code 243 for battery on a spouse/domestic violence.

The UFC welterweight was released that same day on bail, but no other details were available at the time of publication.

Ken Pavia of MMA Agents was contacted by MMAWeekly.com and issued the following statement:

"It has come to our attention that an email is being circulated with false and misleading information pertaining to Mr. Anthony Johnson. On behalf of Mr. Johnson we would like to address this issue. On June 27th Mr. Johnson was arrested in Hayward California and was charged with misdemeanors stemming from an alleged altercation with an ex-girlfriend.

Mr. Johnson is completely and unequivocally innocent of all charges. These charges are completely outside the realm of Mr. Johnson's character; he has no prior criminal record and has never been in trouble with the law. Furthermore, any assertion that the UFC played a part in posting his bail or in covering up the incident is completely untrue. Unfortunately, professional athletes are frequently made the victim of such false accusation.

As this has been a stressful time for Mr. Johnson, we ask that judgment is withheld until all relevant facts have come to light."

i swear im more amped about the debut of sexyama than anything else
laugh.gif

success rate is generally pretty low for guys making their way over from japan though.

dont wanna make this a baseball thing but the drug testing probably has a lot to do with it.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

i swear im more amped about the debut of sexyama than anything else
laugh.gif

success rate is generally pretty low for guys making their way over from japan though.

dont wanna make this a baseball thing but the drug testing probably has a lot to do with it.
The only thing I wish they would do is let Sexyama fight in his Gi!
laugh.gif

Anybody look at the list for the ultimate fighter cast? This is one of the better group of fighters in a while. It's not on the level of Ultimate Fighter 1(I doubt it ever will) but there are some damn good heavys on the show.

• Tim Blackledge
  • Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson
  • Zak Jensen
  • Marcus Jones
  • Scott Junk
  • Jon Madsen
  • Matt Mitrione
  • Roy Nelson
  • Brendan Schaub
  • Darril Schoonover
  • Wes Shivers
  • Wes Sims
  • Abe Wagner
  • Mike Wessel
  • Justin Wren
  • Jim York
So far early picks are saying Schoonover is the business.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Kimbo doesn't stand a chance with all those legit HW fighters on the show
laugh.gif
Pretty sure Dana wants Kimbo to fail. There are way too many good ground guys on the show.

Back
Top Bottom