Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

I'm in tears over here. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't care what Werdum did, Overeem showed me nothing 
eyes.gif

Except that he's still susceptible to being hit, and being hit in bunches. JDS, Carwin etc. have a bit more power than Werdum

Werdum P4P #1 Troll. Sherdog crashed from this kind of fight my god. Overeem was just trying to get the KO he was not setting up combos.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

True, I like Brock myself. If he had to lose to anyone in that fashion, I'm glad it was to Cain. Cain is all class.

He is. But, I think the reason I don't like him most is because of all the hype he got in the Hispanic community. Alot, and I mean alot, of people I know only rolled with him because he's Chicano, not because he's a good fighter. That's what really irked me the most. The way his fans were, he was kind of viewed as a "De La Hoya" type guy to me (Hype-wise not talent-wise). It's unfair, but such is life. Needless to say, he is a beast.

I don't agree with this comment. The Mexican community never got behind De La Hoya, it's actually quite the opposite. Oscar was never considered a "real" Mexican since he fought for the U.S. in the olympics and never really embraced his Mexican roots. Cain on the other hand always talks directly to his Mexican fanbase and always embraces his roots. There is always going to be Ppatriotism in sports, especially with a fighting sport, especially with Mexicans because of our boxing, fighting, heritage. 

It's not too different with GSP and Canadians. A lot of them follow him and hype him up JUST because he's Canadian. There isn't anything wrong with that.

I said this was about the people I know. Alot of them felt De La Hoya because he is Chicano, not Mexican, the same reason they went with Cain. I specified the whole Hispanic side in the next sentence. It's not that serious and I ain't even mad, just clarifying things.

I honestly think Overeem would get wrecked by the top heavyweights in the UFC. He has a glass chin and he was lucky Werdum doesn't have much power because if Cain/JDS/Carwin hits him, it's lights out.

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

I honestly think Overeem would get wrecked by the top heavyweights in the UFC. He has a glass chin and he was lucky Werdum doesn't have much power because if Cain/JDS/Carwin hits him, it's lights out.
Pretty much what I think of what we've seen out of Overeem and the other UFC big wigs

Overeem looked stiff as hell. He didn't bother dodging any strikes. Got hit quite a bit. His cardio is also awful.

Right now I have him ranked significantly below JDS/Cain. Don't really know where I rank him with Carwin/Brock or even Mir or the younger UFC HW prospects

LOL. K1 champ has a glass chin, you guys are trolling HARD. Every figher has meh fight Silva had a few of them and GSP is going through it right now. You forget that Overeem fought the BEST HW grappler period. This guy has won abu dabi TWICE. Black belt in ji jitsu. Only comparable person to him in UFC is Nog and we know Nog isnt the same nog from yesteryear. Overeem fought his fight his game plan was to not get caught in a sub which was OBVIOUSLY Werdums plan.

but maybe im just using common sense...

mma fans are worse then lebron haters

^ I agree with a lot of that, but in the Silva vs. Maia/Leites fights, for example, I don't remember Silva's striking looking as questionable as Overeem's did tonight. On paper, it would seem Werdum won the stand-up battle.

I really don't like the way Overeem just tries covering-up similarly to his K-1 fights. He doesn't have those big gloves to help protect him anymore. Also, he didn't mix-up or set-up his strikes, it looked like he just tried going for the knockout punch the whole time with a few knees thrown in here and there. He looked fairly terrified of being taken down and not to mention, started to gas-out towards the end. Overall, I thought it was a suspect performance.

Originally Posted by APH

^ I agree with a lot of that, but in the Silva vs. Maia/Leites fights, for example, I don't remember Silva's striking looking as questionable as Overeem's did tonight. On paper, it would seem Werdum won the stand-up battle.

I really don't like the way Overeem just tries covering-up similarly to his K-1 fights. He doesn't have those big gloves to help protect him anymore. Also, he didn't mix-up or set-up his strikes, it looked like he just tried going for the knockout punch the whole time with a few knees thrown in here and there. He looked fairly terrified of being taken down and not to mention, started to gas-out towards the end. Overall, I thought it was a suspect performance.
You can say he got hit but what did those punches do? Nothing. Of course Overeem would be terrified of being taken down he is fighting the BEST heavyweight jijtsu practioner he lost to this same man by getting caught while on the ground. The fight went the way it logically should of have both fighters did exactly what there keys to winning would be. Werdum tried to bate overeem on the ground and Overeem just had to keep the fight standing. You can say Werdum hit Overeem more but he at no point "hurt" overeem and overeem landed a couple punches on werdum but again nothing serious but what do you expect when half the fight is on the ground.

I would understand if Overeem was knocked down (hmmm a current UFC heavyweight got knocked down by a jabroni by the name of cheick congo) or was put in a bad situation but it was just a bad fight overall. Two completely contrasting styles between 2 MMA vets who arent stupid.

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

LOL. K1 champ has a glass chin, you guys are trolling HARD. Every figher has meh fight Silva had a few of them and GSP is going through it right now. You forget that Overeem fought the BEST HW grappler period. This guy has won abu dabi TWICE. Black belt in ji jitsu. Only comparable person to him in UFC is Nog and we know Nog isnt the same nog from yesteryear. Overeem fought his fight his game plan was to not get caught in a sub which was OBVIOUSLY Werdums plan.

How am I trolling?  He has 6 KO losses, I'm just saying...  I'm not an Overeem hater or anything, I'm just voicing my opinion and my observations.    

How am I trolling?  He has 6 KO losses, I'm just saying...  I'm not an Overeem hater or anything, I'm just voicing my opinion and my observations.    
Look at his losses. ALL but one of those fighters are ELITE level fighters at that time and that was YEARS ago Overeem is a completely different fighter since then. Werdum is one of the best ground technicians it was a clash of 2 completely different styles of fighters who played it safe.

Originally Posted by APH

You can say he got hit but what did those punches do? Nothing. Of course Overeem would be terrified of being taken down he is fighting the BEST heavyweight jijtsu practioner he lost to this same man by getting caught while on the ground. The fight went the way it logically should of have both fighters did exactly what there keys to winning would be. Werdum tried to bate overeem on the ground and Overeem just had to keep the fight standing. You can say Werdum hit Overeem more but he at no point "hurt" overeem and overeem landed a couple punches on werdum but again nothing serious but what do you expect when half the fight is on the ground.

I would understand if Overeem was knocked down (hmmm a current UFC heavyweight got knocked down by a jabroni by the name of cheick congo) or was put in a bad situation but it was just a bad fight overall. Two completely contrasting styles between 2 MMA vets who arent stupid.
It's ironic you were the one who made the MMA/LeBron comment. Why are you getting so defensive for Overeem? Like the poster above me said, I'm just calling it like I see it. I'm actually an Overeem fan and I would have loved to see him KO Werdum in the 1st-round. For a guy who's considered the best or one of best strikers in the HW division, his stand-up simply didn't look that great. He didn't mix it up and I don't even remember him throwing a leg kick or anything. Instead, he just winged a bunch of punches that seemed to miss more than they landed, which was probably the reason he was so gassed. That should be a concern going into his next fight. I get it, Werdum was trying to bait him in, but Overeem still had plenty of opportunities/time to do more damage and showcase his elite striking.

My whole point with the takedown comment was, that out of the other 3 remaining fighters left in the GP, 2 of them are more than likely gonna have game plans that are going to focus on taking Overeem down, including the person he's facing next. He just appeared to really panic whenever Werdum tried to get it to the ground. Luckily for him, Werdum's attempts were pathetic. I'd imagine Silva and Barnett would have a better chance in that department. Granted that Overeem would be less worried about a take down and more able to just trade, substitute Werdum with Sergei tonight and I really think Overeem would have been in trouble.

I was, and still am an Overeem fan. I just hope he does better against Silva. I'm just saying, for a guy that has this big mission to dominate the HW division and with so much hype surrounding him and blah, blah, blah, I just felt there was a lot concerns raised in this fight. But I'll leave it to you to justified Overeem's lackluster performance and every flaw in this battle of legendary proportions.

Look at his losses. ALL but one of those fighters are ELITE level fighters at that time and that was YEARS ago Overeem is a completely different fighter since then. Werdum is one of the best ground technicians it was a clash of 2 completely different styles of fighters who played it safe.
I understand what you're saying, Overeem fought his fight and didn't want to take it to the ground with Werdum which was smart.  Overeem is a striker and it doesn't matter who he fights, he's going to stand and bang with them no matter what.  My point is, Werdum, who isn't much of a striker was able to land some clean strikes. Now imagine if someone hard hitting like Cain/JDS/Carwin was landing the same punches, Overeem would be in trouble.  Again, I'm not a  Reem hater by any means, I was hoping he would dominate tonight.  I'm not going to say he's overrated or anything, but he still has a lot to prove before I can consider him the best heavyweight in MMA.

Werdum flopped so many times you'd think he came out with a Ginobili jersey on. You could tell the way Overeem was striking that he knew if he opened up too much he could be taken down easily and submitted. The crowd +!%# ALL OVER Werdum... cats in my section were screaming for him to get the F up.

It was cool live... but wish I hadn't paid $140 for my ticket.

I understand what you're saying, Overeem fought his fight and didn't want to take it to the ground with Werdum which was smart.  Overeem is a striker and it doesn't matter who he fights, he's going to stand and bang with them no matter what.  My point is, Werdum, who isn't much of a striker was able to land some clean strikes. Now imagine if someone hard hitting like Cain/JDS/Carwin was landing the same punches, Overeem would be in trouble.  Again, I'm not a  Reem hater by any means, I was hoping he would dominate tonight.  I'm not going to say he's overrated or anything, but he still has a lot to prove before I can consider him the best heavyweight in MMA.
This. Like I said before, we've all seen Reem get destroyed on multiple occasions. I don't think that 'roids help your chin. I'm a fan of him and I enjoy watching him fight, but I think he would definitely get K'd by JDS or Cain.

Anyways, that fight sucked. It was like Spider vs. Leites
indifferent.gif
Werdum just trying so hard to pull guard. The sad thing was that it was like Reem forgot how to strike or something. Just throwing haymakers around without very many solid combos. They were both scared
ohwell.gif

Masvidal surprised the hell outta me. I thought surely a guy who lasted 5 rd with Diaz would be able to beat him. Masvidal's quick knees and combinations were impressive. Last time I've seen him was when he got caught in an inverted triangle...dudes a great counterpuncher.

Reem v werdum...not the most impressive I've seen reem compared to his other fights. Werdum reminded me of Aoki v melendez where he tried so hard to get em to the ground, butt scootin n everything.
laugh.gif
reem wasn't havin that *%!+. It looked like reem was headhunting...I wish we could have seen more combinations.

Melendez v Masvidal would ='fireworks and def FOTN.

Dammit Noons.  He didn't adjust at all and kept eating knees.  A good fight for Masvidal but I think Gil would dominate him.
Werdum should've stopped trying for those weak takedowns after the first dozen were stuffed.  He just wore himself out.  He should've faked some takedowns and that would've opened up his striking more.  This was Overeem's first win over a quality heavyweight opponent in mma.  Let's see if he can continue it.  It's an odd thing to say considering he's the champ in Dream and Strikeforce.

Can't wait for Fedor vs. Henderson.  Should be a classic.

Don't get me wrong, with Fedor being eliminated from the Grand Prix, there really isn't anyone out there of worth to go up against.... but I really couldn't give a crap less what happens in the Fedor/Hendo fight.

If Fedor wins it proves absolutely nothing. The whole thing about Fedor has been "can he compete with these other quality and bigger HW's?" I really don't care if he can beat a 40 year old Hendo. It won't elevate Fedor's legacy in my eyes one bit.

With that said, sure it will probably be an entertaining fight. I think Fedor has a whole lot more to lose than gain, I don't think he can gain much of anything with a win.

Yeah, Fedor really doesn't have anything to gain from the fight except that Hendo is a big name and the fight should be great to watch on paper.
This just proves again how much of a badass Hendo is.  Maybe it will inspire GSP a little and he'll stop overanalyzing every little thing and consider moving up.  

Back
Top Bottom