Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No. 24

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What evidence contradicts this?

It’s logical that an extra year to view players at a slightly higher level of play will make scouting easier.
Evidence of actual high schoolers not diluting talent and contributing in their first 1-3 seasons of being drafted

Because the scouting would be "more difficult" doesn't in reality mean the talent would be diluted though

If Ayton, Bamba etc. were in the NBA, that isn't diluting the talent. Where's the metric to prove that they'd be diluting the talent?

On top of this, even if a few "questionable" prospects did get drafted, how noticeable of a result are we going to see in the "diluted talent". That whole topic is highly subjective

Basketball has changed a lot in general. Correlation and causation are not the same.
I agree there isn’t a clear correlation, but it’s worth noting. The prep to pro peak of the late 90s to early/mid 2000s was the nadir of NBA talent level in our lifetimes.

Evidence of actual high schoolers not diluting talent and contributing in their first 1-3 seasons of being drafted

Because the scouting would be "more difficult" doesn't in reality mean the talent would be diluted though

If Ayton, Bamba etc. were in the NBA, that isn't diluting the talent. Where's the metric to prove that they'd be diluting the talent?

On top of this, even if a few "questionable" prospects did get drafted, how noticeable of a result are we going to see in the "diluted talent". That whole topic is highly subjective

Okay the fact that some high schoolers have been good is not contradictory evidence

I dont understand wanting to make "scouting" easier. These execs get paid millions to make these decisions. You essentially want the league to deprive HS guys the ability to make a living because we want the GMs jobs to be easier? Especially in a league where so many retreads are hired, and is largely a copycat league anyways.

Success in the NBA is still going to be based on opportunity, player development, and fit. The smarter teams will succeed with HS guys being drafted or a 3 year limit on entering the draft.

I agree there isn’t a clear correlation, but it’s worth noting. The prep to pro peak of the late 90s to early/mid 2000s was the nadir of NBA talent level in our lifetimes.
That's more to do with it being the post MJ era with teams thirsty to find a star. Teams were willing to take more risks. That's not a talent thing, that's a stupid team thing. Plus, And 1 Mixtape era had a lot of garbage basketball being played everywhere.

What’s your definition of good?

If you’re able to secure a second and third contract, you’ve had a successful career. The majority of the prep to pro guys have

Because I never said that high schoolers can’t be good. I said that it benefits NBA GMs to have an extra year to scout prospects. That will weed out some (not all) busts. High schoolers who would have been good will still be highly drafted.

That's more to do with it being the post MJ era with teams thirsty to find a star. Teams were willing to take more risks. That's not a talent thing, that's a stupid team thing. Plus, And 1 Mixtape era had a lot of garbage basketball being played everywhere.
Yes there was a lot of really stupid ideas in coaching and game planning that we can see now

Okay the fact that some high schoolers have been good is not contradictory evidence
You didn't answer my other questions though

The fact that high schoolers have proved successful is exactly contradictory to your statement that preps "dilute the talent"

Again, what you're attempting to claim is highly subjective

I dont understand wanting to make "scouting" easier. These execs get paid millions to make these decisions. You essentially want the league to deprive HS guys the ability to make a living because we want the GMs jobs to be easier? Especially in a league where so many retreads are hired, and is largely a copycat league anyways.

Success in the NBA is still going to be based on opportunity, player development, and fit. The smarter teams will succeed with HS guys being drafted or a 3 year limit on entering the draft.

See if HS guys can’t make a living in the nba other guys are getting those contracts instead so I don’t really see the moral argument here.

To me it’s mostly about the NCAA being corrupt and young players not having good enough alternatives but that’s another separate issue.

For the NBA the goal is to have the most knowledge about players coming in while also getting the most of their prime years in the league. That will provide the highest overall level of play. 18 is never a prime year so ideally that year of development can take place elsewhere.

And obviously I agree the ncaa does NOT do a good job. In fact I hate the ncaa and what it represents and root for it to be undermined.

You didn't answer my other questions though

The fact that high schoolers have proved successful is exactly contradictory to your statement that preps "dilute the talent"

Again, what you're attempting to claim is highly subjective

No it doesn’t man because I’m talking about hit %s not whether or not 18 year olds can be good in the nba.

Regardless of prep to pro, GMs will make mistakes. It’s the nature of evaluating talent and it happens in every sport.

Obviously but 1 more year reduces mistakes by some number of percentage points.

No it doesn’t man because I’m talking about hit %s not whether or not 18 year olds can be good in the nba.

What's your definition and metric of % that hit or didn't hit

Still no statistical evidence of an additional year of scouting being more beneficial

What's your definition and metric of % that hit or didn't hit

Are you worth your draft value? If you are going to say I’m not backing up my statement with statistics that’s fine, but I don’t understand how you can’t agree that logically another year to see a player develop from 18-19 is going to make them easier to scout by some amount.

I never said I had any.

Answer me this- how exactly does it benefit the NBA to allow players to come directly from high school versus one and done?

Because a year of NBA development is better than a year of college basketball. Sitting a year on the bench has been better to Ben Simmons than his time at LSU.

Reactions: MVP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom