**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

haha yea i was salty and i swear lebron picks the wrong nights for me to be off.

anywhoo David West for MVP

also, i dont really care if people mention lebron or not in the MVP but fer real dont put garnett up there. if anyone it would be pierce and still NO. when uhave that kinda team of course youll be successful. Personally i think he should be playing better

Kobe will probably get it but

Given his team's success, his individual statline, and the positive effect he has on the league (THIS YEAR, folks; the MVP trophy is not for your entire career), I have to go with Kobe.
CP3

- Team success, check.
- Individual statline, check.
- Lakers were more than likely a playoff team, considering they were in last year. Is it surprising that the Lakers are in contention for the #1 seed? Itsure is. But, how many people were really talking up New Orleans to make the playoffs? Let alone them in contention for the #1 seed as well. Positive effecton the league, check.

^ THIS YEAR, Chris Paul has had a more positive effect on the league?

Obviously, they both have a positive effect; that's not the question.

The question is: "Who had a MORE positive impact on the league?"

I say Kobe. Him and LeBron are THE faces of the league, but like I said earlier, LeBron is out in my opinion, because of his team's record.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Kobe will probably get it but

Given his team's success, his individual statline, and the positive effect he has on the league (THIS YEAR, folks; the MVP trophy is not for your entire career), I have to go with Kobe.
CP3

- Team success, check.
- Individual statline, check.
- Lakers were more than likely a playoff team, considering they were in last year. Is it surprising that the Lakers are in contention for the #1 seed? It sure is. But, how many people were really talking up New Orleans to make the playoffs? Let alone them in contention for the #1 seed as well. Positive effect on the league, check.
I don't know about you, but most people had the Lakers as a 7/8 seed tops, with the majority missing saying they will miss the playoffs.
The Hornets were a young team and they almost made the playoffs last year, everyone knew they would improve.

I have a question though(just a general question for anyone to answer), what does Kobe have to do in order to win the MVP?

Anyway, I say a co-MVP with CP3 and Kobe winning

- Lakers were more than likely a playoff team, considering they were in last year. Is it surprising that the Lakers are in contention for the #1 seed? It sure is. But, how many people were really talking up New Orleans to make the playoffs? Let alone them in contention for the #1 seed as well. Positive effect on the league, check.

I was one of the few people who had New Orleans being a serious threat this year.
laugh.gif

No one knew what to expect with Kobe and the Lakers coming into this season, hell, we didn't even know if he'd be a Laker!!

As Ska said, there's dudes like Kobe and LeBron, then there's guys like CP3, Kidd, Nash, Shaq, KG, AI, Yao, Tracy, Gilbert. Kobe and LeBron are in aLeague of their own.

And given the Lakers success, if they finish a top 3 seed, Kobe's getting it.

^ THIS YEAR, Chris Paul has had a more positive effect on the league?

Obviously, they both have a positive effect; that's not the question.

The question is: "Who had a MORE positive impact on the league?"

I say Kobe. Him and LeBron are THE faces of the league, but like I said earlier, LeBron is out in my opinion, because of his team's record.
What has Kobe really done to have a more positive impact on the league, this year?

By being the face of the league? Kobe has been the face of the league for awhile now. When you think of the NBA, Kobe is always one of the first playersthought of. I don't see anything he's done that's outpoured positivity to the league.

I guess Kobe has been positive in the aspect of after demanding a trade, he put his head down and just went to work, instead of being a distraction for thewhole year. Besides that, Kobe seems like Kobe to me. Just like any other year. Business as usual.

I don't know about you, but most people had the Lakers as a 7/8 seed tops, with the majority missing saying they will miss the playoffs.
The Hornets were a young team and they almost made the playoffs last year, everyone knew they would improve.

I have a question though(just a general question for anyone to answer), what does Kobe have to do in order to win the MVP?

Anyway, I say a co-MVP with CP3 and Kobe winning
Again, it's a great story how the Lakers have arisen back to atop the West. It really is. But, Kobe is arguably the best player in the gametoday. (I think he is) Of course it's no fault to him, but when you see the Lakers at the top, as surprising as it is, you remind yourself that that teamhas Kobe, and it's like, 'Ok."

I just think it's even more impressive that the Hornets are there in contention, as, before this season started, you would get laughed at if you said CP3was the best PG in the game. This season he's risen to prove that he is.

The Lakers success is attributed to Kobe, as it always is, and should be, but you look at last year's Lakers team, and then you look at this years.

Pretty much the same supporting cast. Bynum, check. Vlad, check. Sasha, check. Farmar, check.

What's different is every single one of these guys have stepped up their game this season, compared to last season.

Kobe didn't make these guys better. Sure, he makes the game easier for them, but a lot of these guys are just flat out stepping it up, which is key to theLakers success this year.

I was one of the few people who had New Orleans being a serious threat this year.
laugh.gif

No one knew what to expect with Kobe and the Lakers coming into this season, hell, we didn't even know if he'd be a Laker!!

As Ska said, there's dudes like Kobe and LeBron, then there's guys like CP3, Kidd, Nash, Shaq, KG, AI, Yao, Tracy, Gilbert. Kobe and LeBron are in a League of their own.

And given the Lakers success, if they finish a top 3 seed, Kobe's getting it.
laugh.gif

Great call.

Very true that nobody even knew if Kobe would still be around, and all the credit goes to Kobe for putting his head down and going to work.

It's just, I don't think the MVP should be based off 'star power'/face of the league type stuff. I don't think that's part of it tobegin with, considering how Nash has won the MVP back to back years.

It should be based off indvidual stats/team success.

My opinion is, whoever finishes higher in the top 3 in the West should get it.

It's fair to say that CP3 is just as deserving as Kobe.

Just say no to the 'due' theory for Kobe.

^ What has LeBron done to positively impact the league?

Just go to work every night, and be amazing + consistent at it, and stay out of trouble. Dunk on people from time to time, win a game by yourself here andthere, play with an injury a few times... just be a highlight player and bring no negativity to yourself.

That's what I meant when I asked the question 'How much of a positive impact do they have on the league?'

And you might think that Kobe is playing the same this year as he always has... but... no way. He has opened up VERY gradually over the years, both to histeammates and to the world.

I'm not going to go into the differences he has made from his rookie year to now, so don't ask; I'm not going to answer. I'm just going to saythat, over the years, he has grown into being one of the faces of the league; it's him and LeBron as the league's go-to poster boys... and theneveryone else.

But looking at LeBron's record, I can't give him the MVP.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ What has LeBron done to positively impact the league?

Just go to work every night, and be amazing + consistent at it, and stay out of trouble. Dunk on people from time to time, win a game by yourself here and there, play with an injury a few times... just be a highlight player and bring no negativity to yourself.

That's what I meant when I asked the question 'How much of a positive impact do they have on the league?'

And you might think that Kobe is playing the same this year as he always has... but... no way. He has opened up VERY gradually over the years, both to his teammates and to the world.

I'm not going to go into the differences he has made from his rookie year to now, so don't ask; I'm not going to answer. I'm just going to say that, over the years, he has grown into being one of the faces of the league; it's him and LeBron as the league's go-to poster boys... and then everyone else.

But looking at LeBron's record, I can't give him the MVP.

1. I'm not doubting Kobe opening up and so forth over the years, but, we're talking about this season. He hasn't done anything other thanbeing Kobe/the face of the league like he has been any other year, minus the Colorado thing for a season a two. It is true that he's a poster boy. Lebron, too. I just don't think that should be part of the criteria when deciding on the league's MVP. Individual stats/team success, IMO.

2. I don't think Lebron should be MVP either. I think it should be whoever finishes higher in the West between CP3 and Kobe.

I would also say that LeBron is all but ruled out of the race as far as im concerned it's a two man race betweeen Kobe and CP3

^ So we're in agreement that LeBron and Kobe are poster boys; you just think that shouldn't be part of the criteria, and I definitely do.

And here's why: individual stats + team success doesn't narrow the field enough. In fact, you probably begin with the combo of 'individual stats +team success', whereas I go to that second. I begin with the people who portray the league in a positive light, the NBA's poster boys.

But just going by individual stats + team success leaves us with a very broad field, and then what? Garnett, Paul, Kobe, heck, Paul Pierce, David West, TysonChandler, Steve Nash, they all have impressive season statlines, so you have to go with something else to pick a winner out of the group compiled from the'individual stats + team success' combo.

And on your second point, we're definitely in agreement. I began this thread saying what you just said: "...if the Hornets finish atop the West, Paulis my MVP. If the Lakers finish on top, then it's Kobe. If neither one of them finishes on top of the West but the Hornets finish in the top 3 and theLakers don't, it's Paul. If neither one of them finishes on top of the West but the Lakers finish in the top 3 and the Hornets don't, it'sKobe.

If neither one of them finishes in the top 3, I'm going with Garnett."

I would say LeBron or CP3. I'm not a Kobe hater or anything but Kobe had help with Bynum in the beginning of the season and then Pau Gasol and Odomisn't as bad as people make him to be.

LeBron has Ben Wallace and Z......

Again, it's a great story how the Lakers have arisen back to atop the West. It really is. But, Kobe is arguably the best player in the game today. (I think he is) Of course it's no fault to him, but when you see the Lakers at the top, as surprising as it is, you remind yourself that that team has Kobe, and it's like, 'Ok."

I just think it's even more impressive that the Hornets are there in contention, as, before this season started, you would get laughed at if you said CP3 was the best PG in the game. This season he's risen to prove that he is.

The Lakers success is attributed to Kobe, as it always is, and should be, but you look at last year's Lakers team, and then you look at this years.

Pretty much the same supporting cast. Bynum, check. Vlad, check. Sasha, check. Farmar, check.

What's different is every single one of these guys have stepped up their game this season, compared to last season.

Kobe didn't make these guys better. Sure, he makes the game easier for them, but a lot of these guys are just flat out stepping it up, which is key to the Lakers success this year.

This is the problem I have when people use the whole "make their teammates better" LeBron and CP3 make their teammates better, but Kobedoesn't, his teammates just stepped up their game? What exactly do you define as making your teammates better: assists?, because that is laughable. All 3of these players obviously make their teammates better by getting them open shots, but it goes beyond that, the leadership Kobe has displayed this year afterthe whole fiasco this summer is remarkable. Anyone can see the gradual change over the years like ska eluded to from him not trusting his teammates at all tovery little, to now encouraging, teaching, and being an overall better guy. For all you know, David West & Peja just stepped their games up, the same withBobbie Gibson, Z, etc. I wouldn't say that LeBron or CP3 don't make their teammates better because they do, but don't act like Kobe isn't. Eachof them are the main cogs of their teams' success and have contributed in more ways than just stats.

Originally Posted by Sick Ik 23

I would say LeBron or CP3. I'm not a Kobe hater or anything but Kobe had help with Bynum in the beginning of the season and then Pau Gasol and Odom isn't as bad as people make him to be.

LeBron has Ben Wallace and Z......

wow....stupid. Bron hasn't had Ben Wallace all year so how do you compare him with Bynum. Bron had Gooden, Z, and Hughes and couldn't get them to10 over 500. Kobe had the same team as last year and had them at 1st in the West...heck Pau hasn't played 20 games this season with the Lakers yet. Heshouldn't be in the conversation.

This is the problem I have when people use the whole "make their teammates better" LeBron and CP3 make their teammates better, but Kobe doesn't, his teammates just stepped up their game? What exactly do you define as making your teammates better: assists?, because that is laughable. All 3 of these players obviously make their teammates better by getting them open shots, but it goes beyond that, the leadership Kobe has displayed this year after the whole fiasco this summer is remarkable. Anyone can see the gradual change over the years like ska eluded to from him not trusting his teammates at all to very little, to now encouraging, teaching, and being an overall better guy. For all you know, David West & Peja just stepped their games up, the same with Bobbie Gibson, Z, etc. I wouldn't say that LeBron or CP3 don't make their teammates better because they do, but don't act like Kobe isn't. Each of them are the main cogs of their teams' success and have contributed in more ways than just stats.

Every MVP is valuable to their team. Kobe included. The Lakers would be nowhere without him. Same with the Hornets without CP3, and the Cavs withoutLebron.

Like I said, Kobe makes the game easier for his guys. Easier for them to excel. Same with all the other MVP candidates.

But, last year, Chandler and David West was already putting up numbers.

Gooden (when he was on the Cavs) and Big Z was already putting up numbers.

Like I said, last year, Kobe had the same group of guys.

Where were the numbers?

Fast forward one season.

What's changed? Did Kobe's game change or did the other guys?

Bynum putting up these sorts of numbers (probably because of the big man camp he went to over the Summer), Farmar, Sasha, who all Lakers fans thought was trashone year ago (now he's the Machine), and Vlad are all stepping up their games.

Kobe is Kobe, but the real success to the Lakers team is Kobe actually has help this year.

That's why dude wanted to leave in the first place, he thought this team wasn't going anywhere. And how could anyone blame him coming into thisseason? Farmar, Bynum? Sasha!? Get real.

It's safe to say that it's been a collective effort on why the Lakers are so succesful.

Whereas CP3 and the Hornets basically came outta nowhere and skyrocketed to the West's elite in a season's time.

Kobe has had a HUGE affect on the league this year. Just think about the excitement in the off season, wondering if he was gonna go east and gettin peopleexcited aboust basketball again, fans wantin him to go to their fav team or stay away from their favorite team. The lakers had to get Pau because of KOBE andbecause of that we had one of the biggest mid season trades across the board in a while

Kobe and Lebron are in a league of their own, but their conference and record seperates them giving Kobe the edge. CP3 is a great player but just because noone expected them to be good doesnt mean he deserves it more than others.

One thing that has always bothered me is people and their expectations and then when they're wrong they try and justify it. For example two years ago whenAmare went down all the sports writers said the suns were done, theres no way they can compete. Forgetting they had the MVP steve nash, marion an all star,coach of the year in d'antoni, 6th man in barbosa... So when the suns played great the writers said "Man we were wrong lets give him his second MVPtrophy because we messed up"

No one expected the lakers to be contending for a number 1 seed in the west, that doesnt mean kobe deserves the mvp, no1 expects the hornets to be competingfor a #1 seed in the west, that doesnt mean CP3 deserves it. I think its a two man race between them two and we wont know untill the last game of the regularseason.

if i had a vote it would go to Kobe, if he doesnt get it, its a damn shame

Head-to-head statistics:

[color= rgb(102, 0, 255)]Chris Paul[/color] versus Boston, Cleveland and Los Angeles: 20.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, 11.2 assists (1.8 turnovers), 3.3 steals, 0.2 blocks, 5-1record

Kobe Bryant versus Boston, Cleveland and New Orleans: 26.6 points, 6.9 rebounds, 4.7 assists(2.6 turnovers), 0.6 steals, 0.7 blocks, 1-6 record

[color= rgb(102, 0, 0)]LeBron James[/color] versus Boston, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 30.1points, 6.8 rebounds, 7.1 assists (3.8 turnovers), 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 4-5 record

Kevin Garnett versus Cleveland, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 18.6 points, 10.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists (1.6 turnovers), 1.2 steals, 1.4 blocks, 5-3 record

Something to consider.

It's just I think a lot of people's judgement is clouded by some sort of notion that Kobe is putting the Lakers on his back and carrying the Lakersto atop the WC this year, when clearly his teammates are stepping up and helping him. Don't get me wrong, as, CP3 isn't carrying the Hornets to thetop of the West by himself either. It's not about the Hornets coming out of nowhere and CP3 being more deserving because of that.

What it's about, in my eyes is that I view Kobe as the best player in the game.

So now that everybody is stepping up around him, and is giving him help, the Lakers being where they are is impressive no doubt, but then again, they also havethe best player in the game (in my eyes) to help their cause. The Lakers wouldn't be anywhere without Kobe, I know that.

But then I look at the Hornets, and I think to myself, I didn't even consider this dude CP3 to be one of the best PG's in the game. A lot of peopledidn't. They had Nash/Kidd above him, and a lot of people had and still do, have Derron ahead of him.

It's clear as day that CP3 is the best in the game at the point position, right now though. That's impressive to come on as he has/is.

What CP3 has done individually this season, statswise, coupled with the fact that he has less to work with IMO, and that they're currently sitting atop theWest is MORE impressive to me than what the Lakers are doing. That's WHY I think CP3 as of this minute, is the front runner.

Not because the Hornets came outta nowhere, but the fact that the way CP3 has tore up the league this season, catapulting himself as the best PG in the game,and his team to atop the West standings.

This is the problem I have when people use the whole "make their teammates better" LeBron and CP3 make their teammates better, but Kobe doesn't, his teammates just stepped up their game? What exactly do you define as making your teammates better: assists?, because that is laughable. All 3 of these players obviously make their teammates better by getting them open shots, but it goes beyond that, the leadership Kobe has displayed this year after the whole fiasco this summer is remarkable. Anyone can see the gradual change over the years like ska eluded to from him not trusting his teammates at all to very little, to now encouraging, teaching, and being an overall better guy. For all you know, David West & Peja just stepped their games up, the same with Bobbie Gibson, Z, etc. I wouldn't say that LeBron or CP3 don't make their teammates better because they do, but don't act like Kobe isn't. Each of them are the main cogs of their teams' success and have contributed in more ways than just stats.

Every MVP is valuable to their team. Kobe included. The Lakers would be nowhere without him. Same with the Hornets without CP3, and the Cavs without Lebron.

Like I said, Kobe makes the game easier for his guys. Easier for them to excel. Same with all the other MVP candidates.

But, last year, Chandler and David West was already putting up numbers.

Gooden (when he was on the Cavs) and Big Z was already putting up numbers.

Like I said, last year, Kobe had the same group of guys.

Where were the numbers?

Fast forward one season.

What's changed? Did Kobe's game change or did the other guys?

Bynum putting up these sorts of numbers (probably because of the big man camp he went to over the Summer), Farmar, Sasha, who all Lakers fans thought was trash one year ago (now he's the Machine), and Vlad are all stepping up their games.

Kobe is Kobe, but the real success to the Lakers team is Kobe actually has help this year.

That's why dude wanted to leave in the first place, he thought this team wasn't going anywhere. And how could anyone blame him coming into this season? Farmar, Bynum? Sasha!? Get real.

It's safe to say that it's been a collective effort on why the Lakers are so succesful.

Whereas CP3 and the Hornets basically came outta nowhere and skyrocketed to the West's elite in a season's time.

If you don't see that Kobe has scaled his game back from the past two seasons where he isn't taking 25+ shots every game and scoring less; and whenhis teammates mess up and instead of not passing them the ball anymore or trying to do it all by himself, he goes up and encourages them and goes back to themthe next time they are in a good position, then you must not watch many Laker games. The impact goes beyond the NUMBERS. I mean Peja was injured basically theentire season last year for the Hornets and they still were a decent team, they only finished 3 games behind the Lakers/Warriors for the final playoff spotlast year. So I could say that the absence of Peja led to the Hornets downfall last year and their resurgence this year to one of the top records in theleague, but that probably wouldn't be true. There is no true way to quantify how important the star player is to his team's success relatively to histeammates. All I know is that Kobe has SOMETHING to do with how good the Lakers are this year, just as CP3, Bron, KG, etc. do.

When thinking of Kobe making his teammates better consider the fact he's been playing team ball for their growth these last 3 years. Playing Phoenix in'06 taught him something and it's carried over for the last two years.

He hasn't backed off of that style of play either, that's called making your teammates better along with believing in them even when he didn't seethe light and wanted traded.

When you keep it up on the court, those actions speak louder than his words.

I agree with ska in the thinking of, whoever finishes higher in the West, give it to them.

I just hope the writers don't give Kobe some 'he's due' votes though if CP3 and the Hornets finish above the Lakers.

If neither the Lakers or Hornets finish in the top 3, go ahead and give it to KG.

I think it's really going to come down to who finishes higher in the standings (Lakers or Hornets).

With that said I would like to see Kobe get one because he's been robbed a few times. But you can't really be mad over who they choose between the topchoices.

Back
Top Bottom