Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

But is several years of Beal worth more than one of Harden?
I don't like Beal nearly as much as everyone else seems to, but you have to say yes (to the concept, at least).

It's kind of a necessary evil having to trade Harden or Ibaka for a pick that they can cheaply control over four or five years. That said, I would never, under any circumstance, let Harden be the one to go. Ibaka won't get them two, but he'll get them a lottery pick. Maybe Henson, who has the shot-blocking skills and a projectable jumper.

But Harden for Beal? Never.

This

Im sorry but its much easier to find a Shoot Blocker/Defensive Presence than a Scorer/Play Maker like The Beard

Originally Posted by MMG

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

But is several years of Beal worth more than one of Harden?
I don't like Beal nearly as much as everyone else seems to, but you have to say yes (to the concept, at least).

It's kind of a necessary evil having to trade Harden or Ibaka for a pick that they can cheaply control over four or five years. That said, I would never, under any circumstance, let Harden be the one to go. Ibaka won't get them two, but he'll get them a lottery pick. Maybe Henson, who has the shot-blocking skills and a projectable jumper.

But Harden for Beal? Never.

This

Im sorry but its much easier to find a Shoot Blocker/Defensive Presence than a Scorer/Play Maker like The Beard

not one the quality of Ibaka.. He can have a Mutumbo type impact. Its easier to find a scorer to come off the bench than a quality starting center IMO.

The Thunder don't even trust Ibaka to close games, but they're going to choose him over Harden? I guess.

I don't think he's really a center, and I surely don't think he'll ever be Dikembe Mutombo.

And Harden isn't just a scorer. I don't understand the fascination with people labeling him that lately. He's the best facilitator on that team.

[h3]Hawks Shopping Josh Smith To Lakers For Gasol[/h3]
Jun 27, 2012 8:21 PM EDT

Smith_Josh_atl_120202.jpg
The Hawks are aggressively shopping Josh Smith to the Lakers for Pau Gasol, beginning their pursuit shortly after the Western Conference semifinals.

Smith has been unhappy with Atlanta for more than a year.

Smith has one season remaining on his contract for $13.2 million.
[h3]Rockets Trade Dalembert To Bucks, Swap No. 14 Pick For No. 12[/h3]
Jun 27, 2012 3:51 PM EDT

hou_40.gif

The Rockets have moved up in the draft and now own the No. 12, 16 and 18 picks.

Houston has swapped the 14th pick for the 12th pick with the Bucks while also sending Samuel Dalembert to Milwaukee. The Rockets will receive Jon Leuer, Jon Brockman and Shaun Livingston in addition to the No. 12 pick.

The Rockets could save $4.7 million from their cap if Livingston and Leuer are waived, but a source contends they plan to keep both players.
[h3]Lakers Targeting Kidd-Gilchrist If Trade For Top-5 Pick Succeeds[/h3]
Jun 27, 2012 8:25 PM EDT

lal_40.gif

The Lakers are interested in moving to the top of the draft by shopping Pau Gasol.

The target for Los Angeles is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

Kidd-Gilchrist will almost certainly be a top-five selection.

bigtimejerky wrote:

not one the quality of Ibaka.. He can have a Mutumbo type impact. Its easier to find a scorer to come off the bench than a quality starting center IMO.

laugh.gif
 Ibaka will never be close to as good a defender as Mutombo was, nor will he be as good on the boards.

Ibaka is a slightly better version of the '08-'09 Chirs Andersen, and can step out and hit a mid-range J on the offensive end.

That's a completely short sighted move that goes against what Presti has established.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

laugh.gif
 Ibaka will never be close to as good a defender as Mutombo was, nor will he be as good on the boards.

Ibaka is a slightly better version of the '08-'09 Chirs Andersen, and can step out and hit a mid-range J on the offensive end.

ok now thats OD

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

bigtimejerky wrote:not one the quality of Ibaka.. He can have a Mutumbo type impact. Its easier to find a scorer to come off the bench than a quality starting center IMO.
laugh.gif

ok now thats OD

How so? What's Ibaka do so much better than Andersen (that season) on the defensive side?

Originally Posted by Essential1

Defensively Josh Smith kills Gasol. I think it would bring with it the 23 pick and/or Jeff Teague to be backup PG.

And I'm thinking Josh is the stepping stone to Dwight.
$$$ is also a big factor in this trade rumor.
Josh Smith has 1 year left at $13 million on his contract while Gasol still is owed $38 million over the next 2 years and he has a trade kicker in his contract that makes his salary go up where ever he gets traded to.

Best believe Lakers front office is trying hard to get under the cap and stop paying the luxury tax the next few seasons and on ATL's side they are interested since Josh Smith has made it known he wants out of ATL. 

Oh and don't forget that Bynum is in the final year of his contract also and will be looking & will get a MAX contract whether he signs a contract extension with the Lakers or if he becomes a un resticted in the summer of 2013.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

he could rebound better for one.
Not really. Ibaka averaged one more RPG this past season that Andersen did in '09, and had 7 more MPG than Andersen. I'm sure given those 7 more MPG, Andersen would've been able to pull down 1 more RPG. Per 36, Andersen's rebounding numbers were actually better.
What's so "OD" about my comparison?

Originally Posted by MR J 858

Originally Posted by Essential1

Defensively Josh Smith kills Gasol. I think it would bring with it the 23 pick and/or Jeff Teague to be backup PG.

And I'm thinking Josh is the stepping stone to Dwight.
$$$ is also a big factor in this trade rumor.
Josh Smith has 1 year left at $13 million on his contract while Gasol still is owed $38 million over the next 2 years and he has a trade kicker in his contract that makes his salary go up where ever he gets traded to.

Best believe Lakers front office is trying hard to get under the cap and stop paying the luxury tax the next few seasons and on ATL's side they are interested since Josh Smith has made it known he wants out of ATL. 

Oh and don't forget that Bynum is in the final year of his contract also and will be looking & will get a MAX contract whether he signs a contract extension with the Lakers or if he becomes a un resticted in the summer of 2013.
Same as Dwight last year of contract. Part of the lure of Smith is landing Howard.. That should be obvious as much as the financial savings.

The rumor is also partly seems to be Lakers 2nd choice if they can't get a top 5 where they have to take a crapload of contracts. The Wizards deal seems DOA because we'd be taking Okafor + filler + 3rd  for Pau..  Or Blatche + Ariza + 3rd and still be in a similar crap cap situation.

If I'm them, I'm not sure I don't try my damnedest the trade Ibaka for a Top 10 pick, but I doubt they can. If you could, that's gotta be the route you go then draft one of the bigs and figure it out.

VC3FAN:
I don't get the Pau bashing either.
Have him on your team. The CURRENT Pau that has been bullied for 2 playoffs in a row now; not the picture of Pau painted by the career numbers you might throw at me, and not even the picture of Pau painted by the numbers you might throw at me from last year. For 2 playoffs in a row, he has been straight BODIED, and I don't care what the numbers say.

Any GM that gives up a top 10 pick for Ibaka in this draft is a damn fool. I'd totally be fine with the fans of that team tarring and feathering that GM.

I like Ibaka but trading a top 10 pick for him is a Jordan-Bobcats move.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

VC3FAN:
I don't get the Pau bashing either.
Have him on your team. The CURRENT Pau that has been bullied for 2 playoffs in a row now; not the picture of Pau painted by the career numbers you might throw at me, and not even the picture of Pau painted by the numbers you might throw at me from last year. For 2 playoffs in a row, he has been straight BODIED, and I don't care what the numbers say.

also the hawks are going to be taking on a larger contract in pau so the money situation wont help them. i just dont see how getting pau will get atlanta out of the second round of the playoffs

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Any GM that gives up a top 10 pick for Ibaka in this draft is a damn fool. I'd totally be fine with the fans of that team tarring and feathering that GM.

I like Ibaka but trading a top 10 pick for him is a Jordan-Bobcats move.

Now you know how Nets fans felt while watching on Draft Lottery night when they knew Billly King traded away a lottery pick in this years draft for Gearld Wallace 
laugh.gif

Never said he will become Mutumbo... But he can have the same impact on defense. He will defend the basket for a team that likes to run the break. He has the speed and athleticism to keep up with the pace. I think he's more vital to OKC than Harden moving forward. It's a tough choice but I just think Harden is more replacable than Ibaka

I bet they could get Lou Williams for much cheaper than Harden, and he will have a similar impact off the bench

Originally Posted by DubA169

I don't totally get the pau roasting. I'd take him is heart beat.

Change of scenery woukd do him good

I don't get it either. Put Pau in a different situation and I'm willing to bet that he'll flourish. Anywhere except NY.

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

Never said he will become Mutumbo... But he can have the same impact on defense. He will defend the basket for a team that likes to run the break. He has the speed and athleticism to keep up with the pace. I think he's more vital to OKC than Harden moving forward. It's a tough choice but I just think Harden is more replacable than Ibaka

I said the same exact thing. Flip Harden while you have the chance. There are quite a few guys on the market to replace him with who can come in and give you buckets/facilitate.

u guys are crazy if u dont think the rockets are pursuing gasol still... wether it be as a main goal are a back up plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom