Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
how can you sit there and tell me how im feelin thru the internet
laugh.gif
nice try.
im not upset about the lakers getting D12, im about how it went down, how this orlando GM was waiting for the best deal possible and he got the worst deal possible. You dont see the NBA as a joke cause your lakers fan but for the fans of 25 other teams, its a joke
laugh.gif
fans of those other 25 teams need to accept that there arent 25 franchise players in the league (or even the world) and that championships are all about star payers

stars want to play on contenders which means with other stars, no one wants to lead the bobcats or the bucks to a championship
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Mitch is a good GM, but let's be real. It helps when you have an owner who doesn't give a damn about the luxury tax. The Lakers are basically the Yankees of the basketball world, and this is why the majority of basketball fans hate the Lakers. This is a great trade for LA, but let's be real. It wasn't even the best offer on the table. The Magic didn't get salary relief. Didn't get any prospects. Didn't even get one lottery pick.

There has been 3 different champions the last 3 years
5 champions the last 6 years.

Since 2000 there has only been 6 different Champions. All but two of those were repeat Champions (Pistons, Mavs). This isn't my argument though. Just pointing out how you can skew figures to make them favor your opinion.

Pistons could have repeated :smh: :smh:

:lol: at using "smart" and "willing to spend" in the same sentence, as if the latter doesn't fully influence the former. They are 40 million over the cap! Give every GM a bottomless wallet and see how much smarter they look. Then there's whole "market" thing and the 3 cities guys gravitate to, which nothing can really be done about that inequity short of putting every team in the same city.

I was less upset with LeBron about The Decision than everyone else. He was a free agent, it's his prerogative. But even if you benefit from it, you have to admit this trend of players signing with their current team to get the most money and years then pouting, whining, and sandbagging/quitting to get traded to where they really want to be is a bad look.

Dwight is supposed to back when though? I've read reports from him say as late as Jan-Feb, but that was when he was still in Orlando in pout mode so he may have just been setting himself up to sit out in disappointment if he didn't get traded, kind of like how whenever Van Exel was upset about something his elbow all of a sudden started hurting.

That's the thing though, there are quite a few owners who have more money than the Buss's but either aren't willing to spend it to stay/become a contender (Sarver, Allen, Gilbert) or just don't have the right management that will try and make shrewd moves not always worrying about the bottom line. Cuban has been spending money until last season when it thoroughly backfired on him. Most of these owners have the funds to pay the tax, but either their franchise is run by buffoons or they just aren't an attractive market to star players.

From 2011:

No. Owner Team Net worth Source

23. Paul Allen Portland $13.2 B Microsoft, investments

60. Rich Devos Orlando $5 B Amway

75. Micky Arison Miami $4.2 B Carnival Cruises

107. Stanley Kronke Denver $3.2 B Sports, investments

159. Tom Gores Detroit $2.5 B Private equity

171. Mark Cuban Dallas $2.3 B Online media

242. Glen Taylor Minnesota $1.8 B Printing

273. Herbert Simon Indiana $1.6 B Real estate

293. Daniel Gilbert Cleveland $1.5 B Quicken Loans

293. Michael Heisley Memphis $1.5 B Manufacturing

293. Donald Sterling L.A. Clippers $1.5 B Real estate

309. Joshua Harris Philadelphia $1.45 B Leveraged buyouts

Buss's aren't even on the list.

LA's payroll for this season is at $97 million which is astronomical, but the new TV deal and hopefully long playoff run will more than pay for that tax and assuming Dwight resigns it'll be near that level for next season, but unlike Brooklyn, Miami, and eventually OKC if they keep their core together; they're only on the books for $9 mil for 2014/15 approx. $28 million if Dwight comes back (and right back in the market for another marquee free agent) and don't have to pay the repeater tax I believe. It's not just about positioning yourself for success now, but LA has set themselves for it in the future as well. That's smart management.

Last edited:
People need to chill with the big-market excuse, it holds some validity but at the end of the day look at the New York Knicks, they haven't won a championship in 40 years. Miami is not considerably a big-market either, they're more of a desirable market. I'm a Knicks fan, don't give me that excuse. Spurs have won 4 rings.

Those of you who like to bring up the NFL and MLB can't seem to realize that those leagues do not need to be carried by a promise of top-tier talent. If you have a superstar on an MLB team, or a couple, that never guarantees a championship. The NFL is more driven on sheer athleticism instead of skill so at the end of the day it's easier to replace players. The coaching systems and team unity build champions in the NFL. They're two different sports from basketball.

In the basketball, the addition of one superstar can gather a championship, the addition of two can conjure a dynasty but the NBA is not filled with a bunch of superstars. Tops they're 3-5 complete difference making superstars. The NBA has around 400 players, out of those 400 only about 30 are above average skill level, only about 10 are top-tier. Basketball is more of a skill game and it's hard to spread out the superior talent because theirs not enough talent to go around. They'll never will be.

The top tier players want to play for bigger markets, but some top tier players don't. The players dictate the NBA, opposed to the NFL and MLB because the players are a hell of a lot more valuable in the NBA. Nothing fans, owners, or lockouts can change. Why do you think the players always win in negotiation battles? The NBA has one amnesty cut clause for each team, the NFL drops you after they signed to a 7yr/100 million dollar contract the next week.

At the end of the day they're too many teams in the NBA and not enough superior talent.

Yea, the Blazers, Knicks, and Mavs have annually been tops in payroll prior to the new CBA. The Lakers have money from that tv deal which is worth 3 or 5 billion over 20 yrs depending on your source

We in Sacramento know that you can find a way to blame everything on Kobe Bryant, so it's no surprise that the following narrative has now sprung up. ESPN's Brian Windhorst writes about the infamous letter to David Stern penned by eight small-market owners in 2006 asking for wholesale changes to the league's economic system. Those 2006 concerns are now driving the [2012] NBA lockout, with all owners seeking substantial cutbacks in player salary and a number of owners pushing hard for serious revenue sharing.

But the actual nudge toward this reality was, according to one of Windhorst's anonymous sources, the massive L.A. Lakers' TV deal signed last year.

"That Lakers' TV deal scared the hell out of everybody," one league official said. "Everyone thought there is no way to compete with that. Then everyone started thinking that it wasn't fair that they didn't have to share it with the teams they're playing against."

The Lakers' deal with Time Warner Cable, which goes into effect in 2012, is worth $150-200 million per season. The Sacramento Kings, by comparison, make $14 million a season from local TV revenue.

While the structural issues existed before Jerry Buss acquired his newest vault of gold, the Lakers' new TV deal apparently only exacerbated them. In other words, Lakers TV made the income disparity in the NBA real.

Last edited:
Why do people call the Lakers the "Yankees of baseball"? The Yankees aren't as successful as us, even with an uncapped payroll system.

The Lakers' deal with Time Warner Cable, which goes into effect in 2012, is worth $150-200 million per season. The Sacramento Kings, by comparison, make $14 million a season from local TV revenue.
roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

roll.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't twist my words. Yes, that a Lakers/Heat or Thunder/Heat Finals would be exciting and have it's intrigue. Tell me the point of watching the regular season though, when you already know the Finals. It all becomes irrelevant. Might as well make a 30 game schedule and cut out 8 teams from the playoffs.
I'm not twisting anything.

Fans will always watch exciting matchups in the regular season or postseason. Always have. Nothing will change next season.

Using your logic, nobody will watch any games that don't include the Lakers, Heat, or Thunder.

Because they're both incredibly successful franchises.

No, of course, I obviously understand that. I guess there really isn't a point to my question, it just seemed to me that the comparison treats the Lakers are subordinate to the Yankees in terms of championships and such, when arguably the Lakers are more successful given the number of titles they own over how many years the league has existed.

Sorry to have brought that in here, it was a minor issue and honest question.

Fans will always watch exciting matchups in the regular season or postseason. Always have. Nothing will change next season.
Using your logic, nobody will watch any games that don't include the Lakers, Heat, or Thunder.

:lol: What's my logic? Please tell me, because you're clearly missing the point.

:lol: What's my logic? Please tell me, because you're clearly missing the point.

Tell me the point of watching the regular season though, when you already know the Finals.

Last edited:
Dwayne Wade > Steve Nash
Ray Allen > Ron Artest
Lebron James > Kobe Bryant
Chris Bosh > Pau Gasol
Joel Anthony

game 6 in AZ bulls scored nba record low (at the time) 4th qtr pts which was 12... john pax hit the 3 to win the game for 3 straight lol

Dwayne Wade > Steve Nash
Ray Allen > Ron Artest
Lebron James > Kobe Bryant
Chris Bosh > Pau Gasol
Joel Anthony < Dwight Howard

Or am I wrong?
you are tripping

Nash<Wade

Artest=Allen

Kobe>Lebron

Pau=Bosh

Howard>Anthony