Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
2r5aqtk.jpg

No, no no no.
I clearly read those guys posts, the Magic should have gotten 7 all stars for Dwight plus money, plus picks. No possible way they should have got what they did.
Choose from hostages, aliens, or corruptness. Only feasible options.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great read, puts the trade in perspective a little

How Exactly Was Dwight Howard Traded?
By Eric Pincus
Senior NBA Writer

The Orlando Magic finally put an end to the Dwight Howard era with a massive four-team trade this past Friday.

After protracted negotiations with the Brooklyn Nets and then the Houston Rockets, the Magic found a key partner in the Philadelphia 76ers. Once the Nets exited the picture in early July, momentum suggested the Rockets would either get Howard or Andrew Bynum (via the Los Angeles Lakers).

The Lakers were willing to give up Bynum for Howard but need a third team to broker a deal. If not Houston, the Cleveland Cavaliers were a possibility, and yet Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak did not believe anything was likely to come of talks.

Ultimately Orlando approached the Lakers with an initial three-way idea with the Sixers, which evolved into the four-way that was executed on August 10.

In addition to draft considerations, the Magic acquired Moe Harkless, Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic, Christian Eyenga and Josh McRoberts. The Lakers received Earl Clark, Chris Duhon and Howard. The Sixers landed Jason Richardson and Bynum. The Nuggets ended up with Andre Iguodala.

The question for many is “Why? Why did the Magic take this deal above other possibilities?”

While that’s certainly a hot topic to debate, the question addressed here is “How?”

Under the rules of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, teams can break down a large trade into whatever legal combination most suits them. It doesn’t have to be a single transaction but can be a number of smaller ones in tandem.

For the Lakers, it was moderately complicated. Bynum was traded for Howard and Clark. McRoberts was used to acquire Duhon. Eyenga did not bring a player back, generating a $1,174,080 trade exception (TPE) the Lakers can use for up to a year.

It was straight-forward for the Nuggets who simply traded Afflalo and Harrington for Iguodala. For the Sixers, a single deal was done with Iguodala, Vucevic and Harkless for Bynum and Richardson.

It’s the Magic deal that took considerable ingenuity to construct. In addition to the players received, Orlando ended up with a $17,816,880 TPE for Howard. While a basic trade was possible, how exactly was the deal structured to also generate the league’s largest TPE?

For some background, Orlando made a deal earlier in the summer that sent Ryan Anderson to the New Orleans Hornets for Gustavo Ayon. The Hornets had enough cap room to absorb Anderson via sign and trade at $8.7 million.

Additionally, the Magic were holding onto a $4.25 million TPE from the Brandon Bass/Glen Davis trade. Ayon, at $1.5 million, was acquired via part of the Bass TPE . . . leaving a remainder of $2.75 million. Because Anderson got a raise greater than 20%, the Magic received a $4.35 million TPE.

In exiting Howard, the Orlando executed the following:

■Christian Eyenga and Josh McRoberts via the $4.35 million Anderson TPE, leaving a negligible remainder of $40,920.
■Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington for Jason Richardson, Chris Duhon and Earl Clark.
■Mo Harkless via the Brandon Bass TPE, leaving a remainder of $1,018,040 which expires on December 12
■Nikola Vucevic for Dwight Howard, generating a TPE of $17,816,880 which won’t expire until next August 10, 2013.
So in simplistic terms, Howard was traded for Nikola Vucevic and whatever that massive TPE yields over the next year.

The Magic are rebuilding and initially may not look to spend. The team just climbed down from tax territory to about $6.2 million under the $70.3 million tax threshold.

Even if the team holds through the trade deadline in February, the Magic go into the June 2013 NBA Draft and July free agency with a powerful tool. Orlando may also look to help broker a deal should two teams need a third to execute a complicated transaction. The Magic would love to continue collect draft picks and young talent.

It remains to be seen how well Magic general manager Rob Hennigan did with the Howard trade but given the intricacy, he clearly didn’t rush into a frivolous decision.

Was this posted? From SI:

The offerings from Houston, sources said, weren't as plentiful as previously believed either. In both the two-team talks with Houston and three-team discussions that involved the Lakers and would have sent center Andrew Bynum to the Rockets, sources said Houston was offering only two first-round picks. From Houston's perspective, however, the comparative value of the picks far outweighed anything available to the Magic elsewhere and it had been made clear that a third pick could be added "if it got the deal done."

One of the picks, which would have come via Toronto as part of Houston's recent trade of point guard Kyle Lowry, has protections that make it likely to land in the lottery. The other being offered, by way of Dallas, had an outside chance at becoming completely unprotected in 2018 if the Mavericks didn't finish the regular season in the league's top 10 in the five years prior.

Many assumed that the Rockets' three first-round picks from this year's draft -- guard Jeremy Lamb and forwards Royce White and Terrence Jones -- would be made available in a Howard deal. But sources close to the Magic said Lamb was the only such prospect offered, and that he was off the table by the time the talks involved the Lakers and Lamb had impressed at the Las Vegas summer league in July (he averaged 20 points in five games). Meanwhile, unwanted players like Gary Forbes, Jon Brockman and Marcus Morris were made available (along with shooting guard Kevin Martin, whose expiring $12.9 million contract was a must to make the money work).

On the Rockets' side, meanwhile, sources said the message had been sent that the Magic could have one or possibly two prospects from a pool that included Morris, Patrick Patterson, Lamb, Jones, White and Donatas Motiejunas. Houston offered significant salary-cap relief, but, as had been the case on the topic of young players, never in the form that the Magic wanted.
Link

wait, So the magic got all that and still have a ~16 million trade exception?

not bad.

and I called it. Orlando just wasn't getting offered the large haul being leaked to the media. MMG, go sit in the corner.

I'm listening to the Hardwood Paroxysm podcast, and they certainly make fun of Orlando, yet explain a scenario in which the Magic could hit big in the lottery + money if they do everything right going forward.

Then add the piece Senator mentioned, as well as the one that PMatic posted, and suddenly the Magic deal is getting a little "better" even if they of course will be horrible for a couple years.

Sort of like the Pau deal.

Aliens tho.

Yeah, I agree he's happy because he's the main attraction now.

Let's see how Philly reacts to "YOLO" Bynum :lol:

But for his sake, I hope he stays away from that.

Last edited:
How do you guys feel about Greg Monroe playing PF next season?
Danny Granger just bought a crib in LA....foreshadowing perhaps?
I just saw Paul George listed at 6'10, we need to find a way to get him more burn at the forward spot, even if it meant moving Granger to SG.....
granger guarding SG?
roll.gif

I remember how Detroit were going to be a problem after 2004 even after they failed to draft Carmelo. One hit wonders like the Heatles. Other fine examples of prisoners of the moment.
you have to be joking with this? so this current boston team is also a one hit wonder then? you going to base everything on winning a ring? they went to the easteren conference finals for SIX STRAIGHT YEARS! they went back to the finals the year after they won
That's what happens when you play with the biggest ball hog in nba history...he has done just fine ever since though:rolleyes
you act like dude played like a bum with the lakers
(A) I don't remember the salary cap ramifications but I think they were a lot better than this garbage.
(B) Deal happened at the trade deadline. It's August.
(C) Dwight Howard is 10x the player Pau Gasol is.
(D) Weren't there rumors of Memphis ownership getting involved?
because the same reports aren't out about the magic now?
Orlando had all the leverage now? You dudes crack me up.
they had the best player in the deal. HELL YEAH they did. who had the leverage in the trade then?

Can I ask you a question? What would be the point of trading for Iguodala or Bynum and be the perennial 7th or 8th seed in the East? You have to understand Hennigan's background is to build through the draft. That's the plan. Sustainable growth through young, lottery picks. The OKC route. Obviously the product the Magic will put on the court will be ugly next year, but they will be in the lottery not only this year. But most likely the year after that. And in that 2nd year, they'll have the cap salary to go add another marquee player to the mix. By then, some of those "terrible" contracts will be off the books. The bottom line is that Orlando explored all options for months and decided that their quickest path to the top is to tear down the team completely and start from scratch. You can't criticize the decision until you see how the Master Plan all plays out.

they have yet to answer that. i have ask the same question over and over. and just like they try to point out CP is skating over questions they are doing the same.

and i agree with everything else you said

People are really overdoing the whole "OKC route, OKC model" thing. Just because your team is going to suck, doesn't mean you're the next OKC anymore than all those trash Euros like Skitsvilli became the next Dirk or Pau. And how much can you trust the same GM/owners who made this ****** *** trade, to draft well in the LATE 20s and make quality signings? You couldn't even turn Dwight Howard into something useful. Again, they did not get lottery pick in the trade. Not only do I think you can't "hit" on 5 picks in a row like OKC did (not to mention the shrewd moves involved in obtaining those picks, salary dumps, and small trades and fa signings(, you won't be in that office long enough if your start is any indication. And that's not just the Orlando GM, that's every GM who keeps peddling this OKC model nonsense to their fan base.
OKC is not the only team of recent memory to build through the draft tho, we just hype them more because they got 2 superstars out of it and maybe another one in harden.

if you build the right front office and scouting staff you know what the **** your doing come draft and FA time.

other then OKC, bulls,pacers,spurs(for the last 10 years there the prime example) utah are recent examples of teams drafting right. and not a shock those a the teams who most say have some of the best front offices in the NBA.

How do you guys feel about Greg Monroe playing PF next season?

Danny Granger just bought a crib in LA....foreshadowing perhaps?

I just saw Paul George listed at 6'10, we need to find a way to get him more burn at the forward spot, even if it meant moving Granger to SG.....
granger guarding SG?:rofl:

I'm not saying it would be a perfect fit, but a 6'7 Granger (who is a good defender in his own right) matches up much better with NBA SG's than a 6'9-6'10 Paul George.

For example, in the series against the Heat, George struggled against Wade, but defended Lebron very well. Wade is a very good player, and creates mismatches of his own, but George would be best utilized guarding SF's, and you wouldnt lose much with Granger at the 2, because you would still have both of them on the floor at the same time, same as last year

I know there are things I am skating over, my whole point these last 2 days were those 2 crying for DAYS on here about a trade without having even a single clue what will happen for the Magic in the future. Same as Memphis.

I've yet to see any of the clowns crying about the Memphis deal come back and go, oh, ok I guess that was an ok deal. No, people still cry and claim Pau was stolen, Jerry West, blah blah.

Magic could go on a crazy run of solid picks, smart signings, good trade of Hedo/Al, and suddenly in 3-4 years be the team on the come up. Either of these two crybabies gonna come forward and say Orlando made a good deal? No, they won't, they'll stick with the Aliens angle, and other GM's are stupid, and the Lakers are lucky, etc, etc. All the stuff I've read for days on here from those 2. :smh:

Pau was stolen, the Memphis deal sucked.

If I sold my house for a lottery ticket, and the lottery ticket turned out to be a winner, doesn't mean it was a smart trade.

Be happy CP, the lakers are way better at being a big market team than any other team big market team, they are always there to pick the ripened fruit and they always get a good price. The Knicks FO are feces flinging apes in comparison.

Last edited:
I know it sucked. They got a ton of cap space, young talent and extra first round picks for years, horrible deal. Sure.

And it worked out just as they hoped it would and are better than they EVER were with Pau. Oh.

The Rockets attempted to acquire either Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum, but they were unwilling to give up as much via trade as has been previously reported.

Houston was only offering two first round picks, though one would have come from the Raptors and has protections to make it more likely to be a lottery selection.

Many had assumed the Rockets were also offering all three first round picks from 2012, but only Jeremy Lamb had been formally made available.

Houston would only offer two players from a group that included Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson, Jeremy Lamb, Terrence Jones, Royce White and Donatas Motiejunas.

The Rockets also offered cap relief, but never the type that the Magic sought.

"I enjoyed working with Rob on a potential deal," Daryl Morey told SI.com via text message. "He went with what was best for Orlando and over time people will see that he has made a good decision. He has a plan for Orlando and he has proved his ability to execute a plan to make franchises great from his time in San Antonio and Oklahoma City."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom