Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Falcon :pimp:
wrf634.jpg

I'm still not sure how anyone thinks that the Pacers are going to be a better team than the Sixers or Celtics. I just see the Pacers as a team that every year is going to make the 2nd round, give a higher seed team a run for its money but then fizzle out at the end because they don't have an elite player to go to when they need a bucket. The Sixers, Celtics, Knicks and Nets all have that....and they all added significant pieces that should make them a lot better teams this year. Boston is DEEP, the Sixers got exactly what they needed in outside shooting and a low post threat/go-to man, the Knicks added toughness with Camby and Kurt Thomas and some point guards in Felton, Kidd and Prigioni, and the Nets have a now motivated Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, full year of Crash, full year of Brook Lopez, great rebounder/hustle player in Reggie Evans and Teletovic who I've heard good things about. People are underestimating how much that move to BK alone is going to improve the Nets. That stadium in New Jersey was probably the worst in the entire league the past few years. There was ZERO support for the Nets in any home games that they went into last year. That stadium in BK is going to be rocking this year, and that's going to be great for Deron, JJ, Crash and Lopez's confidence.

Preseason predictions/rankings are so pointless to me. Too many variable factors to account for in a 82 game season.

I do agree though with whoever said they don't see the Lakers finishing better than OKC/SA because of continuity. SA and OKC have that. Everyone on the Lakers, including Kobe and Pau, will need to make adjustments and build cohesion.

Plus the genius known as Mike Brown is in charge of getting everything right so.....yeah.

You talking about the Hawks or the Knicks?
I'll assume Knicks cuz Hawks didn't have Woodson coaching them. As for what we did better watch the 4 games played between the two teams and that's all you really need to see when it comes to what the Knicks do better than the Pacers. Far better on defense, more consistent on offense.
I couldn't care less about an end of the season record. In the playoffs we see them 1st or 2nd round and we win in 5 games, 6 at the most.

Knicks have won ONE playoff game in the past 11 years, but all of a sudden they're going to win a series? Funny. Knicks fans stay putting the cart before the horse. For as many roster moves that have been made, there are still a ton of questions surrounding this team. I don't trust any Knicks squad to make noise as long as James Dolan is at the helm.
Yes we would beat the Pacers in a series. Laugh if you must.

but what makes you say this? they split the season series last year. The Pacers ended up with a MUCH better record, and became a deeper team in the offseason. The Knicks lost key pieces in the offseason, are a mess at the PG and SG spots....so once again what makes you say this besides "confidence in your team"
I watched the games.

Wait what key pieces did the Knicks lose in the off season? Lin? Baron? Jared Jeffries? Josh Harrelson? LANDRY FIELDS? Who we talking about!!!?? TONEY DOUGLAS? WHO? Only key piece we have to worry about is Shump and he went down in the playoffs. What mess at the pg spot? We'll throw Felton or Pablo out there.Kidd will be a solid back up. That's not going to be the main issue we'll have to fix for this season and it won't be if we faced the Pacers in a playoff series.

And did you really just compare Amar'e and Dirk? You out your mind? They can't be compared. If you wanted to take a shot you would've been better off randomly saying Dirk > Amar'e.

Last edited:
Part of an article from dailythunder.com about small market teams and their history against the tax.
Via Mark Deeks of Sham Sports who did serious work researching team payroll histories, since 2002 when the luxury tax system was implemented, seven teams have gone without ever paying it. One being, you guessed it, the Thunder/Sonics. (The other six: the Wizards, the Bobcats, the Bulls, the Warriors, the Clippers and the Hornets.)

The most any team has ever paid in a season might surprise you. It was the 2002-03 Trail Blazers who had a $51,971,000 tax bill. The highest amounts teams have paid over that time is the Knicks ($195,288,145 total), the Mavericks ($150,530,433), the Blazers ($89,052,474) and the Lakers ($84,417,253).

Of note: Portland is technically considered a small market being the 22nd largest TV market in the U.S. and the 22nd largest in the NBA. Oklahoma City is the 45th largest overall, and the 28th largest in the league. Memphis and New Orleans are the two cities behind OKC, with Memphis having paid the luxury tax in 2003 and 2006.

Other small markets (I’m determining small market on teams outside the top 15 in market size) that have paid the tax: Miami (four times, $22,667,988 total), Denver (three times, $21,157,439 total), Cleveland (three times, $43,126,121 total), Orlando (three times, $38,951,508 total), Sacramento (twice, $30,518,745 total), Portland (four times, $89,052,474 total), Indiana (three times, $8,809,087 total), Utah (twice, $8,103,619 total), Milwaukee (once, $4,734,000 total), San Antonio (five times, $12,597,554 total) and Memphis (twice, $11,297,452 total).

The teams that have paid it the most are the Mavs (every year, nine times), the Lakers (seven times), the Knicks (seven times), the Celtics (six times) and wait for it, the Spurs (five times).

Again, there’s a precedent for smaller market teams paying the bill. However, there’s a different catch this time around that makes things different for OKC: The tax is much more punitive than its ever been. Starting in 2013-14, instead of dollar-for-dollar like it was with all of these previous payments, it’s an escalating tax depending on what you’re over. For the Thunder if they sign Harden, it’ll likely be $1.50 for every dollar over the threshold or potentially $1.75 depending on how Harden’s deal was done.

It’s obvious though that the playing field has never been level in the NBA. Outside of the Bulls and Clippers, all the big markets have broken into the tax, with most of the smaller ones keeping the bill low or nonexistent. But teams in OKC’s position have almost always ponied up and paid it. It’s why Paul Allen broke the bank in 2003. He had a contending team and wanted to chase a title. Same goes for the Spurs, the Cavs with LeBron, the Pacers in 2006 and Sacramento in the first part of the decade with Chris Webber. I’m not sure there’s an example of a team being in a title contending position that didn’t in order to continue the run.

Will the Thunder fall in line with that? I think so. While the tax is harsh, you don’t abandon a title chase like that. At least other teams haven’t. Plus, it’s not like the Thunder are committing to paying the tax for the next 20 years. It could be for only a season, maybe two. With options with Kendrick Perkins and the amnesty clause or other moves, OKC could dive right back under the tax line if necessary. And then when Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden are up again in five years, you reassess and plan for the next course.

We still have to wait and see though. This may not be decided until next summer. Which would be awesome, because that means we can continue to talk about it nonstop for another year.
luxurytax.jpg

It'll be interesting to say the least seeing how Kobe and Nash are going to play with eachother. Kobe went into ultimate ball-hog mode again last year and now they bring in a big man that's one of the biggest stars in the league and is used to being the man and having a team built around him, plus a point guard that has basically controlled everything his teams have done on the offensive end of the floor for the last 10 years. The pieces really don't fit together all that well, but the talent level is ridiculous. Kobe is going to have to completely change his game though. Nash, Gasol and Dwight should play great together.

It'll be interesting to say the least seeing how Kobe and Nash are going to play with eachother. Kobe went into ultimate ball-hog mode again last year and now they bring in a big man that's one of the biggest stars in the league and is used to being the man and having a team built around him, plus a point guard that has basically controlled everything his teams have done on the offensive end of the floor for the last 10 years. The pieces really don't fit together all that well, but the talent level is ridiculous. Kobe is going to have to completely change his game though. Nash, Gasol and Dwight should play great together.

He doesn't have to change his game much at all.. He eliminates the one thing that made scoring a more difficult problem last year.. Is that he had to create his own shots, and waste a lot of energy doing so..

And trying to get both Gasol & Bynum started is comical.. It's really difficult when Bynum thinks he deserves 20 shots a game (good luck with that by the way.. And if he doesn't dominate the ball in the low post.. He throws tantrums and quits on defense).. Then renders Pau useless at the same time because Bynum clogs the paint, and can play nowhere else on the floor on offense. Not to mention when you feed Bynum, the double team zeros in and the entire offense is screwed. He doesn't pass out of the double team.. He forces a shot. Or he travels.

And with no traditional Point Guard (which the triangle masked Fisher's awfulness for a few years).. You have two bigs who can't co-exist... And Kobe being the #1 scorer, and no one to find him for his shot, he has to create his own shot out of thin air. Along with P&R between Nash and Howard/Pau will dominate the office, and looks to be extremely effective.

Kobe's job goes from managing the unmanageable to only having to be in his spots and wait for Nash to hit him.

His shot total will still hover around 20 a night, but rather that have to pump fake 360 pivot under the defender off the glass to make a shot (because no one was capable of finding him for a shot).. He can get off screens, catch at the elbow or top of the key and shoot.

As for Dwight & Andrew they had .1 shot per game difference last year, and 2% usage rate difference last year.

Last edited:
He doesn't have to change his game much at all.. He eliminates the one thing that made scoring a more difficult problem last year.. Is that he had to create his own shots, and waste a lot of energy doing so..
And trying to get both Gasol & Bynum started is comical.. It's really difficult when Bynum thinks he deserves 20 shots a game (good luck with that by the way.. And if he doesn't dominate the ball in the low post.. He throws tantrums and quits on defense).. Then renders Pau useless at the same time because Bynum clogs the paint, and can play nowhere else on the floor on offense. Not to mention when you feed Bynum, the double team zeros in and the entire offense is screwed. He doesn't pass out of the double team.. He forces a shot. Or he travels.
And with no traditional Point Guard (which the triangle masked Fisher's awfulness for a few years).. You have two bigs who can't co-exist... And Kobe being the #1 scorer, and no one to find him for his shot, he has to create his own shot out of thin air. Along with P&R between Nash and Howard/Pau will dominate the office, , Kand looks to be extremely effective.
Kobe's job goes from managing the unmanageable to only having to be in his spots and wait for Nash to hit him.
His shot total will still hover around 20 a night, but rather that have to pump fake 360 pivot under the defender off the glass to make a shot (because no one was capable of finding him for a shot).. He can get off screens, catch at the elbow or top of the key and shoot.
As for Dwight & Andrew they had .1 shot per game difference last year, and 2% usage rate difference last year.

Eh, there are plenty of excuses/reasons for Kobe's play the last couple years but while I think he'll slightly change his game, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Even though he played well in the Olympics, there were still plenty of forced shots even with elite talent at all positions around him. I think he'll definitely do some more spotting up but at the end of the day, Kobe takes contested fadeaway jumpers because he can make them and he believes he'll make it every time. I think without Nash, Kobe and D12 would be a disaster but Nash should keep Dwight happy on the PnRs. The squad is too talented for egos or bad coaching in the way. Only age or injuries could stop the Lakers from doing MAJOR damage.

Amare is more active than Dirk is.......Dirk is at his best in a half court ISO set, amare is at his best when he's able to get up and down the court in a fast paced offense......therefore IMO 2 completely different PFs
Amare is black

Dirk is white

Jeff Green officially signs his 4 yr/$36m contract. :smh: :x

Dude is not worth $9m per.

He would be if you started him and gave him 35minutes and he was your 3rd option. If you just intend to have him give you ~20 minutes off the bench, absolutely not. Maybe they felt like they owed him after cutting him due to the heart situation.

He would be if you started him and gave him 35minutes and he was your 3rd option. If you just intend to have him give you ~20 minutes off the bench, absolutely not. Maybe they felt like they owed him after cutting him due to the heart situation.

Probably why Boston gave him that because he ain't starting with Rondo Bradley Truth Bass KG as the starting 5. And with Jet being the 6th man plus Lee off the bench Green's minutes will be up in the air.

Is Green a legit 3 or a stretch 4?

NO gave Ryan Anderson the same 4yr/$36m deal too, but at least he is starting there and can nail that 3 with accuracy.

Aside from the coaching position, where did they get better at? Kidd and Felton replaced Lin and Baron Davis. The lost Shumpert for the season. And I would say that saying the Pacers overachieved is hyperbole as well, there is no basis for that. They have high quality players across the board. They defend and rebound well at every position, and got deeper at key positions in the offseason

You already proved they got better by replacing a point guard and a half, with 2 actual pg's...Baron was done from day 1 so im almost positive Kidd wiill do better than him by default. Even if you think LIN was light years ahead of Felton that doesnt change the fact that Felt/Kidd are better than Lin/BD.

Also added Camby who is an actual 7 footer who can grab a few boards and stop the layup line while Tyson gets a breather. Not a blockbuster move but a competent backup will make ANY team better.

Its not a stretch at all to say the Pacers overachieved last year, anybody that thought Indy would have the 5th best record in the entire league wouldve been looked at as a foolish homer at the very least. And they were under 500 just the season before last so that 5th best record reeks of overachieving imo so please stop acting like the Pacers are a lock for anything.

Eh, there are plenty of excuses/reasons for Kobe's play the last couple years but while I think he'll slightly change his game, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Even though he played well in the Olympics, there were still plenty of forced shots even with elite talent at all positions around him. I think he'll definitely do some more spotting up but at the end of the day, Kobe takes contested fadeaway jumpers because he can make them and he believes he'll make it every time. I think without Nash, Kobe and D12 would be a disaster but Nash should keep Dwight happy on the PnRs. The squad is too talented for egos or bad coaching in the way. Only age or injuries could stop the Lakers from doing MAJOR damage.

i 100% agree, anyone thinking kobe will ball hog less and force less shots are crazy. the offense will run smoother but kobe still going to go into low post and ISO while stopping offensive flow to force his shots. I dont think hes going to be waiting for nash too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom