Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not a knicks fan, i just think if they finally have a decent coach to put them in position to do better than theyve done recently.

Also i just think the Pacers overachieved last year so i expect them to drop a spot or two, which is why the knicks will surpass them.

And to sat that the knicks didnt get better at all is just hyperbole, even if its slightly they did get better.

but what makes you say this? they split the season series last year. The Pacers ended up with a MUCH better record, and became a deeper team in the offseason. The Knicks lost key pieces in the offseason, are a mess at the PG and SG spots....so once again what makes you say this besides "confidence in your team"

Lin, Douglas, Fields, Jeffries, Josh Harrellson are key pieces?

We went from Lin, Douglas, Bibby, Baron to Felton, Kidd, Pablo. I think thats an improvement.

Shumpert, JR Smith, Ronnie Brewer are a mess at the SG spot?

Im not a knicks fan, i just think if they finally have a decent coach to put them in position to do better than theyve done recently.

Also i just think the Pacers overachieved last year so i expect them to drop a spot or two, which is why the knicks will surpass them.

And to sat that the knicks didnt get better at all is just hyperbole, even if its slightly they did get better.

Aside from the coaching position, where did they get better at? Kidd and Felton replaced Lin and Baron Davis. The lost Shumpert for the season. And I would say that saying the Pacers overachieved is hyperbole as well, there is no basis for that. They have high quality players across the board. They defend and rebound well at every position, and got deeper at key positions in the offseason

but what makes you say this? they split the season series last year. The Pacers ended up with a MUCH better record, and became a deeper team in the offseason. The Knicks lost key pieces in the offseason, are a mess at the PG and SG spots....so once again what makes you say this besides "confidence in your team"

Lin, Douglas, Fields, Jeffries, Josh Harrellson are key pieces?

We went from Lin, Douglas, Bibby, Baron to Felton, Kidd, Pablo. I think thats an improvement.

Shumpert, JR Smith, Ronnie Brewer are a mess at the SG spot?

word? Whats Shumpert doing now? I seem to remember a pretty horrific injury ending his playoff experience.... And yes if you're starting JR at SG you're a mess at the SG position. Lin, Fields and Jefferies were ABSOLUTELY key pieces. Remember how the Knicks were under .500 until Lin played out of his mind when he got inserted in the starting lineup? I would say Fields 10 points and 5.5 rebounds per game were key. Jared Jeffries was a VERY good post defender and rebounder.

Last edited:
don't know why I keep bothering with this but, ACL injuries that occurred in April are not keeping guys like Rose and Shumpert out for the entire following season. Not saying they'll be 100%, but they will be playing eventually this season.

He'll play, but he won't be D-Rose, not this year.

His second year, that's where he'll get back to who and what he was.

don't know why I keep bothering with this but, ACL injuries that occurred in April are not keeping guys like Rose and Shumpert out for the entire following season. Not saying they'll be 100%, but they will be playing eventually this season.

Being out until January-Feb. is a significant amount of time. Even when they come back, both of those guys rely on athleticism so much that its hard to tell if they'll be able to contribute at their normal levels til next year.

That's a long time and could be the difference between a low seed (and having to play MIA or BOS early aka 1st round KO) and a high seed OR even a lottery pick (more for Rose).

Can't believe some people think Fat Boy Felton and Old Kidd are an improvement over 35+ mpg of Lin. Even Felton's best year with the Knicks could hardly be called an improvement over Lin's #'s last year. The chances he gets back to that? Without D'Antoni and after that horrible year in Portland?

Right, but people have been dismissing as if there's no chance they return until fall of '13, which isn't likely. All Star break would be pushing 10 months and that's just about right for an ACL, maybe even on the back end of a time table.

Jason Kidd is better suited to run the Knicks offense with Carmelo and Amare than Lin is. But he can only do it for 20-25 minutes a night.

Jason Kidd is so good that Dallas didnt want him, even though they have a better version of Amare in Dirk

Jason Kidd is so good that Dallas didnt want him

not according to Mark Cuban.

& yes l'd rather have Kidd running and directing the crap Mike Woodson draws up (nothing really, so somebody needs to take command to get good shots) and getting guys in good spots than a PG that knows nothing other than getting force fed pick and rolls so far in his career. but only doing it for 20 minutes a night is the problem.

Last edited:
Jason Kidd is so good that Dallas didnt want him, even though they have a better version of Amare in Dirk

2 completely different styles of PFs.........not really a comparison

completely different? Stretch 4's. Finesse players. Dirk is a threat from 3, Amare isnt. Neither is a substantial rebounder, or plays above the rim (at this point in Amare's career). I think they have alot more similarities than differences honestly. But either way, my point was that Kidd isnt any more than a serviceable backup at this point in his career. And if Dallas didnt want him, considering that Delonte West is the only PG they have on the roster, that doesnt say much about their opinion of Kidd

The Mavs did want to keep Kidd and thought they had him re-signed until he changed his mind and signed with the Knicks.

Mark Cuban is so bitter about Jason Kidd’s departure from Dallas that the Mavericks’ owner says there is “no chance” of ever raising the point guard’s No. 2 to the American Airlines Center rafter. 

That was Cuban’s initial comment about Kidd during his hour-plus-long appearance Tuesday on ESPN Dallas 103.3 FM’s Ben and Skin Show. Cuban quickly left himself a little wiggle room, but he’s clearly perturbed about Kidd signing with the New York Knicks  after committing to return to the Mavs. 

“I was more than upset,” Cuban said. “I thought he was coming. I was pissed. … 

“J. Kidd is a big boy; he can do whatever he wants. But you don’t change your mind like that. That was … yeah. I’m sure I’ll get over it at some point, but as of now, I wouldn’t put J. Kidd’s number in the rafters.” 

Kidd, whose second stint in Dallas was highlighted by him playing a key role in the franchise’s only NBA championship, agreed to sign a three-year, $9.5 million deal to stay with the Mavs, informing Cuban of his plans the morning of July 5. Those plans changed that afternoon. 

Kidd called Cuban, but Cuban did not take the call because he was in a Washington, D.C. museum with his family. Cuban learned later that Kidd had changed his mind and agreed to go to the Knicks for the same money. 

Cuban admitted that Kidd’s decision “hurt my feelings” because he thought they had developed a strong relationship and that the 39-year-old point guard was committed to the organization. 

“He’s a good guy, but I just thought that was wrong,” Cuban said. “You can’t put a guy’s number in the rafters when he decides he doesn’t want to be there.” 

On the other hand, Cuban said he would consider retiring the No. 31 worn by Jason Terry, who signed with the Boston Celtics  this summer after the Mavs declined to match a three-year, midlevel-exception offer. Cuban praised Terry for being “honest” and “straightforward” throughout the free agency period. 

completely different? Stretch 4's. Finesse players. Dirk is a threat from 3, Amare isnt. Neither is a substantial rebounder, or plays above the rim (at this point in Amare's career). I think they have alot more similarities than differences honestly. But either way, my point was that Kidd isnt any more than a serviceable backup at this point in his career. And if Dallas didnt want him, considering that Delonte West is the only PG they have on the roster, that doesnt say much about their opinion of Kidd

Amare is more active than Dirk is.......Dirk is at his best in a half court ISO set, amare is at his best when he's able to get up and down the court in a fast paced offense......therefore IMO 2 completely different PFs

That still doesnt change the fact that he doesnt make them better in any area.

Heat
Nets
Pacers
76ers/Celts/Knicks should be interchangable
Hawks
Wiz

is how I see it playing out. the Bleacher report have the Pacers as the 2 seed and the Knicks as the 4. I'm not that optimistic because I'm concerned about the Nets being a threat.

Aside from the coaching position, where did they get better at? Kidd and Felton replaced Lin and Baron Davis. The lost Shumpert for the season. And I would say that saying the Pacers overachieved is hyperbole as well, there is no basis for that. They have high quality players across the board. They defend and rebound well at every position, and got deeper at key positions in the offseason
Not really...I mean Kidd and Felton replaced Toney Douglas and Mike Bibby. Then we added on Prigioni who might have some value in spurts too.

Lin and Davis don't matter. We didn't even have them in the end.

With Lin, some fans were clamoring for us to bring him back early from injury for the Heat, and Baron...his knee kind of imploded.

Lin only played in 1/3 of our games. All Linsanity did was kinda make up for all the winnable games we lost because of D'antoni+Melo's point-forward project, Toney Douglas, Landry Fields, Shumpert at the 1, and Amar'e being a zombie.

That was one of the biggest storylines of last year, and how some people explained Linsanity. The Knicks and the Lakers were considered to have the worst PG situations in the entire league, and were the two teams, that could benefit the most from simply having an average PG take the majority of the minutes from the terrible/ineffective ones they'd been running out. That's why it was so seemless for Lin to come in and be incredibly effective.

Then we added Ronnie Brewer to do his best Shumpert impression until Iman gets healthy, Camby to finally give the Knicks a real backup center and Kurt Thomas cuz Amar'e needs extra icyhot. Who knows? But we are, right now, better than we were at the end of last year.

Last edited:
Heat
Nets
Pacers
Hawks
Wiz
is how I see it playing out. the Bleacher report have the Pacers as the 2 seed and the Knicks as the 4. I'm not that optimistic because I'm concerned about the Nets being a threat.

You really see Chicago out of the playoffs entirely? They were a #1 seed with Rose floating in and out of the lineup all year.

Still skeptical of the Knicks as a team.

Last edited:
Heat
Nets
Pacers
Hawks
Wiz

You really see Chicago out of the playoffs entirely? They were a #1 seed with Rose floating in and out of the lineup all year.

Still skeptical of the Knicks as a team.

See they're such a wild card that I didnt even want to try to predict what they would do. I think Dengs offense and Noah's defense is good enough to win them some tough games, and they should still take advantage of the East's bottom feeders...but I just dont know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom