Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
That team is still capable of contending for a championship this year if Dirk is the same player.

o0saq1.jpg

I get what Cuban is saying in terms of money because if they had WIlliams, they wouldn't have much flexibility to build a complete team outside those star players. On the other hand, considering he has been planing this for awhile, his comments can't be taken all that seriously when that was his plan A :nerd: :lol:

Between this & his J Kidd comments though :rofl:

If you're not on the Thunder, Heat or Lakers you will not win the championship this season.
Lets be real here.

I know this is likely and it's definitely popular belief but I don't buy it completely. The Heat were GREAT against OKC but they didn't run through the Eastern Conference. They were down against the Pacers. They were down and OUT against the Celtics. It's not like they ran through the playoffs Shaq-Kobe Laker style. They really caught teams off guard by playing Lebron at the 4 and Bosh at the 5. LBJ has said he's not trying to play the 4 full-time, so we'll see what happens. Ray Allen's a big addition but he needs to be healthy. Wade just had surgery, who knows if he's the same old Wade. I still think they're the best team in the league but there are question marks.

Same with the Lakers. They're depending on the injured back of Dwight, a 38 year old Nash away from the PHX training staff, Mike Brown leading these men, and Kobe coexisting with these different personalities. They should be too talented to fail but there are definitely question marks before they prove it on the court and in the long run.

The Thunder have significantly less question marks just because the core is so young and has been together for so long. At the same time, they really made no big additions. They still have Scott Brooks coaching them. Their big 3 is probably too good to fail regardless of the situation but they have been nearly completely injury-free (knock on wood). No other team in the last couple years can say that. Russ/KD/Harden/Ibaka played a ton of games this year (lockout season with less rest, NBA finals run, gold medal Olympic run).

I might be reaching but I always think there's a chance for a Dallas Maverick type team to get hot at the perfect time and win it all.

I get what you're saying, but I just find it unlikely given the teams out there that one of them could get past all 3 or at least 2.

I know this is likely and it's definitely popular belief but I don't buy it completely. The Heat were GREAT against OKC but they didn't run through the Eastern Conference. They were down against the Pacers. They were down and OUT against the Celtics. It's not like they ran through the playoffs Shaq-Kobe Laker style. They really caught teams off guard by playing Lebron at the 4 and Bosh at the 5. LBJ has said he's not trying to play the 4 full-time, so we'll see what happens. Ray Allen's a big addition but he needs to be healthy. Wade just had surgery, who knows if he's the same old Wade. I still think they're the best team in the league but there are question marks.
Same with the Lakers. They're depending on the injured back of Dwight, a 38 year old Nash away from the PHX training staff, Mike Brown leading these men, and Kobe coexisting with these different personalities. They should be too talented to fail but there are definitely question marks before they prove it on the court and in the long run.
The Thunder have significantly less question marks just because the core is so young and has been together for so long. At the same time, they really made no big additions. They still have Scott Brooks coaching them. Their big 3 is probably too good to fail regardless of the situation but they have been nearly completely injury-free (knock on wood). No other team in the last couple years can say that. Russ/KD/Harden/Ibaka played a ton of games this year (lockout season with less rest, NBA finals run, gold medal Olympic run).
I might be reaching but I always think there's a chance for a Dallas Maverick type team to get hot at the perfect time and win it all.

i agree with everything you said, but that Mavs team aint catching anything at the right time, they west is too hard for a mash up of players to get past Lakers / OKC / Spurs ......

I know it's easy to forget Chris Bosh didn't play for the Indiana series or really the first 5 games of the Boston series, but he didn't. And he was their 2nd best/2nd most important player at that time.

I just find it impossible to believe that a team like the Mavs could get passed OKC, the Lakers, AND the Heat and win a championship. Seems like the longest of longshots

If that is how you feel PayPal Wager some money where your mouth is............

I doubt it but anything is possible.  I think the only way that happens is if a superstar gets hurt on the Lakers, Thunder, or Heat and even with that happening I think only the Celtics and Spurs will be able to beat out one of the top 3 teams with a superstar out.

^ I blame it on having too many teams and the new AAU-like mentality a lot of these new age players have where they are happy to band together to bulldoze through the competition.

I doubt it but anything is possible.  I think the only way that happens is if a superstar gets hurt on the Lakers, Thunder, or Heat and even with that happening I think only the Celtics and Spurs will be able to beat out one of the top 3 teams with a superstar out.

#birdmanhandrub

Tired of Memphis getting the injuries. Maybe this year, things will change and we can actually do the damage we're capable of.

people forget that chris bosh was injured. i think heat got the east locked up. they may coast through the regular season but i dont see them losing a series if lbj is healthy.

Typical Do Bee Do going MIA after he's ether'ed and exposed as nothing but a idiotic HOMER troll.
:lol:

Oh....Who are you again?

Guy really brings the suns into his argument. The same suns that owned his la team when kobe was "the man". :lol:

Then he has the nerve to say Karl Malone is the best PF ever. :rolleyes

The hate is strong with him.

Last edited:
^ I blame it on having too many teams and the new AAU-like mentality a lot of these new age players have where they are happy to band together to bulldoze through the competition.

I don't what NBA you been watching but there's always been a rotation of 4-7 really good-elite teams

and if teams like Magic, Cavs, Raptors, Hornets etc... drafted well and signed free agents to appropriate contracts the nba would be even better

Look at the early 2000s teams like Kings, Blazers, Pistons, Spurs, Pacers had stars and great role players

Teams like Jazz, Spurs, and now OKC have always built through draft and good signings

Why are stars teaming up because there gms are not surrounding them with talent to win

If i'm a superstar/star why would I waste prime years not contending for a championship like Wade, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Nash, Kobe 05-07 :smh:

LeBron gave the Cavs 7 years the best player he played with was Mo Williams and Antwan Jamison, the Magic made Rashad Lewis the highest paid player in the NBA nothing needs to be said after that
Chris Paul and David West isn't getting you anywhere

But I'll give the Nuggets credit i think they did great job of acquiring talent they just had no chance of keeping Melo

did someone just say Mavericks are gonna win it all?

:rofl:

Mavericks have 0% chance of getting to the finals. They ARENT beating OKC and def not beating the Lakers.

If you're not on the Thunder, Heat or Lakers you will not win the championship this season.
Lets be real here.

Surprised to see so many people writing off Dallas.

They have a very solid, formidable team that can COMPETE with just about anyone out west. In a 7 game series? Who knows, that's why we play the games, however they definitely have a solid team that can compete. They go about 8 Deep, and have solid starters in every position. If Dirk can be stellar, and OJ return to the production he was giving memphis as a starter, all of a sudden you have a two 20 ppg players in the starting 5, and whenever we have that on a team in the NBA they normally are very competitive.

Memphis will be there this year too. Healthy ZBo for the entire year (knock on wood) with Mike, Rudy, Silver Medalist Marc Gasol, Tony Allen defending, and the emergence of Josh Shelby off the bench could make this team a great contender as well.

Then there's The Spurs, The Clips, The Thunder, etc. so imo in the west it is far from a done deal. There are a lot of question marks to me that surround the Lakers. Dwight Howard, in all of this hoopla, what's stopping him from being a tad bit better Andrew Bynum in this system with the Lakers? (It should be noted that I think Dwight's biggest asset to the Lakers will be on the defensive side of the Ball) I still don't know how Steve Nash will be Steve Nash with the Lakers and not Ramon Sessions. IMO for the Lakers to be as good as they possibly can be, Kobe can't go over 22-24 ppg and I don't know if he'll be up for sacrificing that much.

Out East, I think it's a lot more conclusive. I just can't see anybody out there boxing with The Heat. Dwyane Wade got healthy this summer, Bosh got Healthy this summer, they added some nice pieces to their roster, and they have the best player in this decade. The only thing stopping the heat from getting to the finals a 3rd consecutive time is themselves.

did someone just say Mavericks are gonna win it all?
roll.gif

Mavericks have 0% chance of getting to the finals. They ARENT beating OKC and def not beating the Lakers.
I agree I think theres even a chance that the Mavs miss the playoffs.  They lost a lot of players from their championship team in 2011.  They have a bunch of injury prone vets who are in the last years of their nba careers.  Vince Carter, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand, and Shawn Marion are all on a decline.   Delonte West is garbage and hes always hurt.   So that leaves them with Dirk, Darren Collison, and the inconsistent Oj Mayo to get the job done with a bunch of rookies.   Lakers, Spurs, OKC, Denver, Clippers, and  Memphis are all better then the Mavs in my opinion.   Then its gonna be a toss up with the Mavs, Timberwolves, and the Jazz for the last 2 spots in the West. 

The Mavs starting lineup with Collison-OJ-Marion-Dirk-Kaman could go head to head with anybody in this league. Then coming off the bench with Delonte, Roddy, VC, Cunningham, Crowder, Brand and Wright they might have one of the better benches in the whole league. Delonte does seem to get a random *** injury that keeps him out like 20 games a year, but they have Collison, Mayo, Cunningham and Roddy that could all split time at point if he's out for any significant time anyway.

As for the West and East both being locked up by the Heat and Lakers/OKC...you are sadly mistaken. The Celtics took the Heat to 7 games without basically their ENTIRE bench. Had they had Jeff Green, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Chris Wilcox and Fab Melo going against that same Heat team plus Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis I guarndamntee there would have been a different outcome. Then you have a Sixers team who just added the best big man in the conference along with the outside shooting/scoring that they were missing while they were pretty much the 3rd or 4th seed in the East for the whole season last year before they went on an awful streak of games at the end of the regular season. The additions of Bynum, J-Rich, Nick Young, Dorrell Wright, Moultrie and another season of growth for Jrue, Turner and Thad Young should make the Sixers a tough team for anybody. Then you have the Nets and Knicks who have as much talent as anybody if they prove they can play together. In the West the Spurs are being completely disregarded even though they had the best record last year, the Nuggets added Iguodala without giving up barely anything, the Clippers added a whole new bench and will have Chauncey back and the Grizzlies will have Z-Bo and Arthur back.

The Mavs starting lineup with Collison-OJ-Marion-Dirk-Kaman could go head to head with anybody in this league. Then coming off the bench with Delonte, Roddy, VC, Cunningham, Crowder, Brand and Wright they might have one of the better benches in the whole league. Delonte does seem to get a random *** injury that keeps him out like 20 games a year, but they have Collison, Mayo, Cunningham and Roddy that could all split time at point if he's out for any significant time anyway.

As for the West and East both being locked up by the Heat and Lakers/OKC...you are sadly mistaken. The Celtics took the Heat to 7 games without basically their ENTIRE bench. Had they had Jeff Green, Jason Terry, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley, Jared Sullinger, Chris Wilcox and Fab Melo going against that same Heat team plus Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis I guarndamntee there would have been a different outcome. Then you have a Sixers team who just added the best big man in the conference along with the outside shooting/scoring that they were missing while they were pretty much the 3rd or 4th seed in the East for the whole season last year before they went on an awful streak of games at the end of the regular season. The additions of Bynum, J-Rich, Nick Young, Dorrell Wright, Moultrie and another season of growth for Jrue, Turner and Thad Young should make the Sixers a tough team for anybody. Then you have the Nets and Knicks who have as much talent as anybody if they prove they can play together. In the West the Spurs are being completely disregarded even though they had the best record last year, the Nuggets added Iguodala without giving up barely anything, the Clippers added a whole new bench and will have Chauncey back and the Grizzlies will have Z-Bo and Arthur back.

damb bro, my Pacers cant get a mention :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom