Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Yes. I wear UK 577 same size as US 998.
depends on your foot, I have a narrow foot so I go with a 11 on the uk577 and 10.5 on the us998

check my sig if you aren't sure on more sizes @Hanacheezy  

and for the sake of conversation:

What are some pairs that you are looking to double up on (within reasonable means):

mine are:

* evergreen 1400

* pebble blue 998

* burgundy 990

* 997gy

you being serious with the sizing? Thanks.

Not really looking to read 723 pages. that's why I asked.
indifferent.gif
 its been posted recently dude...look around its closer than you think

depends on your foot, I have a narrow foot so I go with a 11 on the uk577 and 10.5 on the us998

check my sig if you aren't sure on more sizes @Hanacheezy  

and for the sake of conversation:

What are some pairs that you are looking to double up on (within reasonable means):

mine are:

* evergreen 1400

* pebble blue 998

* burgundy 990

* 997gy
definitely autobahn nights for non rape and also another pair of charcoal 998 since besides the pool blue the other colors coming out don't really appeal to me

Question -

I have 3 pairs of shoes, all very similar

Grey NB 996 (made in USA, not revlite), Grey NB 997gy (the new ones just released), and Grey 998GY. 997s and 998s are also made in USA.

Trying to decide which ones to keep. I really only need one of these.

I know a lot of this will be personal preference but I'm looking for advice.

In terms of what these cost me, 996s were $130, 997s were $$$200, and 998s were $90 here:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NBA100/mens-new-balance-998/

996s have much more of a retro look while the 997s and 998s look more "1990s" retro than "1980s" if that makes sense.

Build quality on the 997s seems a bit better than the 996s but the 997s fit surprisingly wide.

Question -

Grey NB 996 (made in USA, not revlite), Grey NB 997gy (the new ones just released), and Grey 998GY. 997s and 998s are also made in USA.

In terms of what these cost me, 996s were $130, 997s were $$$200, and 998s were $90 here:

996s have much more of a retro look while the 997s and 998s look more "1990s" retro than "1980s" if that makes sense.

Build quality on the 997s seems a bit better than the 996s but the 997s fit surprisingly wide.
don't own 996 but if it's the pair that I think it is, it's a nice pair but for me it would be 

997,998 (i own enough 998s, then 996. The 997 is amazing (except the price)

Question -

This shouldn't even be a question. You keep the 997 period. lol. Out of all the hundreds of shoes I have, I'd toss them all in a fire and run off in my 997's if the apocalypse ever arose.

Last edited:

My choice would be between the 997 & 998. I would choose the 997 though. 

don't own 996 but if it's the pair that I think it is, it's a nice pair but for me it would be 

997,998 (i own enough 998s, then 996. The 997 is amazing (except the price)
Thanks guys.

This is the 996:

Like the bigger N on it but not a fan of the white fuzzy sockliner. Otherwise they are pretty much perfect for a shoe with this 1980s look. Don't know why they wouldn't have made this grey.

The 997s look really nice when not on the feet, and I love the white leather sock liner. But when I lace them up, they are too wide - look almost goofy with the lacing area getting really narrow and long lace loops (laces are too long). Also very steep price, even for made in USA NBs.

I also think the 997s look very similar to the 998s except for the sole unit. Should have mentioned I already have an older (4 years), beat up pair of the same 998s so if I keep the 998s I will have duplicates.

Funny observation but NB clearly came a long way on their technology between the 996 (1985 original release) and 997 (1991, I think). I feel like I could work out or actually go for a run in the 997s but the 996s feel like they'd only be good for casual use. Much lighter and much less cushioning.

Last edited:

Thanks guys.

This is the 996:

Like the bigger N on it but not a fan of the white fuzzy sockliner. Otherwise they are pretty much perfect for a shoe with this 1980s look. Don't know why they wouldn't have made this grey.

The 997s look really nice when not on the feet, and I love the white leather sock liner. But when I lace them up, they are too wide - look almost goofy with the lacing area getting really narrow and long lace loops (laces are too long). Also very steep price, even for made in USA NBs.

I also think the 997s look very similar to the 998s except for the sole unit. Should have mentioned I already have an older (4 years), beat up pair of the same 998s so if I keep the 998s I will have duplicates.

Funny observation but NB clearly came a long way on their technology between the 996 (1985 original release) and 997 (1991, I think). I feel like I could work out or actually go for a run in the 997s but the 996s feel like they'd only be good for casual use. Much lighter and much less cushioning.
Everyones got their own personal preferences obviously. Go with what you like. Also sounds like you got your sizing wrong on the 997s.

Personally for me it goes comfort, build quality/materials, then color way. With that being said my fav 5 NB models goes something like this:

Cleaning the GR shelf today. Recent GR's with the Tannery mints mixed in lol. From that pile if I had to dump them all I'd hold on to the 997's and my black or burgundy 990. But that's me... It'd be a tough call between the 990's. Wish I had the Gray 990s to toss in there for clean up... 
indifferent.gif

i just be on the hunt lol

theyre more like a true infared, not too orange and not too red, a nice medium, dont sleep on these

Question -

Honestly, If I were you, I'd just hang on to all of them! If you rotate them you'll be good on sneakers for yeeeaaaarss. Not to mention, it's money spent! And spent well at that. I'd keep them all.

January pickups. Played catch up on some 2013's that I've been meaning to get around to. Closed the month out with the Pebble Blues.

Everyones got their own personal preferences obviously. Go with what you like. Also sounds like you got your sizing wrong on the 997s.

Personally for me it goes comfort, build quality/materials, then color way. With that being said my fav 5 NB models goes something like this:

Cleaning the GR shelf today. Recent GR's with the Tannery mints mixed in lol. From that pile if I had to dump them all I'd hold on to the 997's and my black or burgundy 990. But that's me... It'd be a tough call between the 990's. Wish I had the Gray 990s to toss in there for clean up... 
indifferent.gif
Thank you. I think they are the right size because length is good. If I wear them looser or with thicker socks, the issues goes away. Should also get shorter laces.

Everyone seems to be in love with the 997..is there anything major behind that or is it just because it was just released and has that new (old) sole unit?
Honestly, If I were you, I'd just hang on to all of them! If you rotate them you'll be good on sneakers for yeeeaaaarss. Not to mention, it's money spent! And spent well at that. I'd keep them all.
Haha. I am very close to doing that. They are different enough that I can almost justify it.

Man I still need to hurry up and grab a pair of 997's while I can, I've been putting others sneakers before it and I don't want to regret it! Love that model though, it almost looks like a 998, a 577, and a 1500 all ran at each other full speed and BAM a 997 emerged from the smoke.

Back
Top Bottom