Official New York Yankees Offseason Thread

I just heard on WCBS 880 radio that Russel Martin is close to signing with the Yankees.

Oh, joy
30t6p3b.gif

Edit:
A one-time teammate of Russell Martin provided a scouting report from The Post. Martin, who played the first five seasons of his career with the Dodgers, has agreed in principle to a deal with the Yankees.

“He’s an enigma. He does not have a good approach at the plate. But he is a good catcher in a lot of ways, but not on the mental side. He is not a high-end game caller. But he is very tough. He is the type of player you think should be better. He is a good thrower with a strong arm. He really quickened his feet in the last year or two and just has a lot better mechanics. His blocking is good, but could be better. I think he became someone important too quickly in LA. I think he got comfortable. I think the Yankees would be great for him because it will hit his ego that he is not a star. I think being surrounded by stars and being shown his level will help. He is a very hard worker and I think Yankee Stadium would help because he is best when hitting to right-center field. He is at his worst when he is trying to pull to left for homers and he really would have to watch that at Yankee Stadium. He has a funky swing and I don’t know if even a really good hitting coach would make a difference.

I just heard on WCBS 880 radio that Russel Martin is close to signing with the Yankees.

Oh, joy
30t6p3b.gif

Edit:
A one-time teammate of Russell Martin provided a scouting report from The Post. Martin, who played the first five seasons of his career with the Dodgers, has agreed in principle to a deal with the Yankees.

“He’s an enigma. He does not have a good approach at the plate. But he is a good catcher in a lot of ways, but not on the mental side. He is not a high-end game caller. But he is very tough. He is the type of player you think should be better. He is a good thrower with a strong arm. He really quickened his feet in the last year or two and just has a lot better mechanics. His blocking is good, but could be better. I think he became someone important too quickly in LA. I think he got comfortable. I think the Yankees would be great for him because it will hit his ego that he is not a star. I think being surrounded by stars and being shown his level will help. He is a very hard worker and I think Yankee Stadium would help because he is best when hitting to right-center field. He is at his worst when he is trying to pull to left for homers and he really would have to watch that at Yankee Stadium. He has a funky swing and I don’t know if even a really good hitting coach would make a difference.

So our response to Cliff Lee... Is Russell Martin...

*%!#$%% stupid *%!#$%% %*%% Cashman you *%!#$%% moron what the ##!# is *%!#$%% wrong with you....... I want to kick him in the face with metal cleats

So our response to Cliff Lee... Is Russell Martin...

*%!#$%% stupid *%!#$%% %*%% Cashman you *%!#$%% moron what the ##!# is *%!#$%% wrong with you....... I want to kick him in the face with metal cleats

Cliff Lee Contract details:

5 years $120 million ($24 million annual, highest ever, higher than Yankees offer)
6th year vesting option of $27.5 million that vests if he pitches 200 innings in year 5, or 400 innings between years 4-5
Total potential contract value: 6 years, $147.5 million
OR a buyout of the 6th year of $12.5 million

Worst case scenario he signed a 5 year $132.5 million contract.

Yankees offer to Cliff Lee:
6 years $136 million (22.6 million AAV)
$16 million player option for seventh year

Cliff Lee did not leave money on the table and he did not sign with Philly because of his wife. They offered the most lucrative package. In the worst case scenario he will make 4 million less in 5 years than the Yankees offered him over 6 and he will have the opportunity to hit free agency again.

5 years $120 million ($24 million annual, highest ever, higher than Yankees offer)
6th year vesting option of $27.5 million that vests if he pitches 200 innings in year 5, or 400 innings between years 4-5

Cliff Lee did not leave money on the table and he did not sign with Philly because of his wife. They offered the most lucrative package. In the worst case scenario he will make 4 million less in 5 years than the Yankees offered him over 6 and he will have the opportunity to hit free agency again.

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

i think the ny state tax killed the deal. with the state tax, he would have been getting alot less. %$+@%#! ny state tax.

i think the ny state tax killed the deal. with the state tax, he would have been getting alot less. %$+@%#! ny state tax.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

john heyman was on wfan right now and he said seattle would want something like hughes, bentances, montero and other prospects for felix

LMAO!!!!! they can felicitate themselves if they ask for that.

They have every right to ask for that package for one of the best (if not best) pitchers in baseball.  Why would they lowball themselves?

Hopefully we don't get desperate and just go on a firesale through the minors for help.  We missed out but so what.  We will still be there at the end.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

john heyman was on wfan right now and he said seattle would want something like hughes, bentances, montero and other prospects for felix

LMAO!!!!! they can felicitate themselves if they ask for that.

They have every right to ask for that package for one of the best (if not best) pitchers in baseball.  Why would they lowball themselves?

Hopefully we don't get desperate and just go on a firesale through the minors for help.  We missed out but so what.  We will still be there at the end.

Whats crazy is that Cashman balked on the Joba/Nova/McAllister for Haren deal at the deadline because he thought we would sign Lee this offseason 
grin.gif

Whats crazy is that Cashman balked on the Joba/Nova/McAllister for Haren deal at the deadline because he thought we would sign Lee this offseason 
grin.gif

grin.gif

thats what i call the luol deng syndrome ...

every time the bulls we're in discussions of a possible trade deng would always be the one piece they were reluctant to give up and prevented them from landing a star ... cash has been the same way with joba for years now ... clinging to an initial grade or draft position while preventing your team from getting the pieces it needs ...

grin.gif

thats what i call the luol deng syndrome ...

every time the bulls we're in discussions of a possible trade deng would always be the one piece they were reluctant to give up and prevented them from landing a star ... cash has been the same way with joba for years now ... clinging to an initial grade or draft position while preventing your team from getting the pieces it needs ...

I don't know how many times I say this but Dan Haren would be a terrible goddamn pitcher for the New York Yankees. He has one of the worst HR rates in baseball throughout his career and you wanna put him in our funland? He is a FLY BALL PITCHER, that's why he struggled in Arizona and that's why he put up good #'s back in Anaheim. You put a fly ball pitcher in a hitters ball park ESPECIALLY a right handed pitcher and you're going to regret even giving up your worst prospect.

I don't know how many times I say this but Dan Haren would be a terrible goddamn pitcher for the New York Yankees. He has one of the worst HR rates in baseball throughout his career and you wanna put him in our funland? He is a FLY BALL PITCHER, that's why he struggled in Arizona and that's why he put up good #'s back in Anaheim. You put a fly ball pitcher in a hitters ball park ESPECIALLY a right handed pitcher and you're going to regret even giving up your worst prospect.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Resign Wood... Add a few more bullpen arms...

Might as well just develop starters....
QFE.
If the Yankees are still trying to compete with Boston from this point on, you guys can kiss Montero and whoever else goodbye. They would be setting themselves up for an epic failure later on down the road. A bloated payroll with former stars who cant live up to their epic contracts while their farm system is bare. They're better off keeping and developing what they have, while trying to add pieces through free agency and the trade market for some of their more established players who arent signed forever.

Regarding Cliff  Lee...He faced the Yankees while playing on 4 different teams, Pwned them in the playoffs with 2 of them AAND they spit on his wife..C'mon son. If it was all about the money he wouldve signed with whoever was paying him the most on the first day of free agency.

Originally Posted by Essential1

Resign Wood... Add a few more bullpen arms...

Might as well just develop starters....
QFE.
If the Yankees are still trying to compete with Boston from this point on, you guys can kiss Montero and whoever else goodbye. They would be setting themselves up for an epic failure later on down the road. A bloated payroll with former stars who cant live up to their epic contracts while their farm system is bare. They're better off keeping and developing what they have, while trying to add pieces through free agency and the trade market for some of their more established players who arent signed forever.

Regarding Cliff  Lee...He faced the Yankees while playing on 4 different teams, Pwned them in the playoffs with 2 of them AAND they spit on his wife..C'mon son. If it was all about the money he wouldve signed with whoever was paying him the most on the first day of free agency.

Back
Top Bottom