Official New York Yankees Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

Yanks interested in Carlos Zambrano and Ricky Nolasco...
It's almost as if Cashman and company want us to hate them
mad.gif
sick.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not Cliff Lee, but the Yankees have added a big-name pitcher. The team agreed to sign Mark Prior to a minor league deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). Prior will earn $750K in the major leagues and could earn $750K more in incentives, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
The Rangers and Yankees were the finalists for Prior, who pitched in Texas' system last year, but has not appeared in a major league game since 2006. He'll be reunited with former Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild in New York.

The Yankees selected Prior 43rd overall in the 1998 draft, but were unable to sign him. The Cubs drafted him second overall in 2001 and he soon became one of the National League's best pitchers. He posted a 2.43 ERA with 10.4 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 as a 22-year-old just a year and a half after being drafted. 

A series of shoulder problems derailed Prior's career, but he has tried to resurrect it with stints in the Padres' and Rangers' systems.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/yankees-to-sign-mark-prior.html

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

Yanks interested in Carlos Zambrano and Ricky Nolasco...
It's almost as if Cashman and company want us to hate them
mad.gif
sick.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not Cliff Lee, but the Yankees have added a big-name pitcher. The team agreed to sign Mark Prior to a minor league deal, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). Prior will earn $750K in the major leagues and could earn $750K more in incentives, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (on Twitter).
The Rangers and Yankees were the finalists for Prior, who pitched in Texas' system last year, but has not appeared in a major league game since 2006. He'll be reunited with former Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild in New York.

The Yankees selected Prior 43rd overall in the 1998 draft, but were unable to sign him. The Cubs drafted him second overall in 2001 and he soon became one of the National League's best pitchers. He posted a 2.43 ERA with 10.4 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 as a 22-year-old just a year and a half after being drafted. 

A series of shoulder problems derailed Prior's career, but he has tried to resurrect it with stints in the Padres' and Rangers' systems.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/yankees-to-sign-mark-prior.html

hopefully with Prior that may keep Wood around.. For god's sake tho please let's not put Prior as a starter (I know it is a minor league deal but it is the hope he gets brought up)..

Could set it up with:
Prior 7th Inning Man
Wood 8th Inning Man
Rivera Closer.

Joba, Marte, Moseley and add another solid reliever and our bullpen is one of the better ones in the league.

hopefully with Prior that may keep Wood around.. For god's sake tho please let's not put Prior as a starter (I know it is a minor league deal but it is the hope he gets brought up)..

Could set it up with:
Prior 7th Inning Man
Wood 8th Inning Man
Rivera Closer.

Joba, Marte, Moseley and add another solid reliever and our bullpen is one of the better ones in the league.

Who was the one that said we should go after Prior as a project??? Or am I thinking of someone saying Dontrele Willis?
laugh.gif

Who was the one that said we should go after Prior as a project??? Or am I thinking of someone saying Dontrele Willis?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jrp44

laugh.gif
I forgot who brought it up, but it was Willis that they mentioned. What are we, living in the early 2000s with these names being thrown around?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I forgot who brought it up, but it was Willis that they mentioned. What are we, living in the early 2000s with these names being thrown around?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bkmac

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I did...  It was Willis...

Looks like I was somewhat right..

Originally Posted by bkmac

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I did...  It was Willis...

Looks like I was somewhat right..

Prior and Wood on the same team again?

Do it, Cash!!!

frown.gif

I'ma be the first to call Russell Martin "Hustle Martin" if he starts off April with a .180 batting avg

Do it, Cash!!!

frown.gif

I'ma be the first to call Russell Martin "Hustle Martin" if he starts off April with a .180 batting avg

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Do it, Cash!!!

frown.gif

I'm going to be the first to tell you if he starts it is 100% likely.

Appearantly it is not set in stone that Russ will be the starter.  Cashman said Russell & Jesus will be battling for the starting spot in Spring Training.

Come on Jesus.

I don' even really think it should be a question (unless Jesus is an absolute lazy bum) that he  should start. Yeah he'd be a rookie but with Joe Girardi, Jorge, Russell and special consulting from Yogi at his disposal he'd be perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Do it, Cash!!!

frown.gif

I'm going to be the first to tell you if he starts it is 100% likely.

Appearantly it is not set in stone that Russ will be the starter.  Cashman said Russell & Jesus will be battling for the starting spot in Spring Training.

Come on Jesus.

I don' even really think it should be a question (unless Jesus is an absolute lazy bum) that he  should start. Yeah he'd be a rookie but with Joe Girardi, Jorge, Russell and special consulting from Yogi at his disposal he'd be perfectly fine.

It's not really a matter of mentoring or getting advice. The guy is stocky, and just doesn't move particularly well. Nor is he agile at all. Most talent evaluators have professed that they don't think he'll stick at catcher. Guess we'll see how he fares in the spring.

It's not really a matter of mentoring or getting advice. The guy is stocky, and just doesn't move particularly well. Nor is he agile at all. Most talent evaluators have professed that they don't think he'll stick at catcher. Guess we'll see how he fares in the spring.

I agree that he won't be sticking around at catcher but we have to at least try and play him there and see if the improvements he made last year can carry over or if he's made more progress during the fall/winter. He's done everything he can in the minors. Our best options would have been to have him and Jorge split time between C and DH with Jorge getting the majority. Now with Martin here, there even less time for him in the lineup.

I agree that he won't be sticking around at catcher but we have to at least try and play him there and see if the improvements he made last year can carry over or if he's made more progress during the fall/winter. He's done everything he can in the minors. Our best options would have been to have him and Jorge split time between C and DH with Jorge getting the majority. Now with Martin here, there even less time for him in the lineup.

Cashman had to make the Martin move for flexibility purposes. They already have a hole in their rotation they thought would be filled by Cliff. Now what if Pettite retires? That would necessitate a move for a front line starter, and inevitably teams are gonna ask for Montero. I'm not saying they should move him quite yet (if at all), but the Yanks aren't in a great spot, and their current situation calls for as much flexibility as you can get going forward.

Back
Top Bottom