Official NFL Offseason Thread

AP is reporting DA has signed a multi-year deal with the Browns after signing the tender last night.

Word is the deal is trade friendly so they might be able to move him for a 1st rounder somewhere.

Phil Savage is a crafty dude...

Also the Browns got Corey Williams from the Pack for a 2nd round pick. Corey had 7 sacks last year which is DANG good for a DT.
pimp.gif

But its imperitive the Browns move DA for a 1st or we wont be picking until the 3rd round.
smh.gif

I hate Matt Millen. Way to let Vilma go for nothing much. He should be very good for the Saints. I am sure he will get pennies for Shaun Rogers. I am sure hisDraft will be about as bad as ever. He takes busts from big time schools and never looks for a sleeper.

Originally Posted by Newbs24

I am sure he will get pennies for Shaun Rogers.

But even if he gets something for him wouldn't it be a W? Weren't they thinking of just out right cutting him?

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Originally Posted by Newbs24

I am sure he will get pennies for Shaun Rogers.

But even if he gets something for him wouldn't it be a W? Weren't they thinking of just out right cutting him?

Yes but now that teams are having some interest he will dump him for a sack of potatoes. Shaun can be dominate but he only plays about 20 snaps a game. Thedude has a horrible weight problem.

Falcons re-signed Chris Redman...
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Michael Turner is reported to be in Atlanta today. As is Josh Brown. (
eek.gif
@the thought of signing a Kicker who isn't an AARP member)

The New York Jets are the winners in the Kris Jenkins sweepstakes.
FOXSports.com has learned that Carolina traded the defensive tackle to the New York Jets for third- and fifth-round draft picks. Although he has battled weight issues in the past, Jenkins should provide the big-bodied presence at nose tackle the team has sorely lacked since coach Eric Mangini instituted a 3-4 defensive scheme in 2006. Dewayne Robertson, who was manning the spot for New York, seems likely to get traded elsewhere. Robertson is better suited as a penetrating-style tackle in a 4-3 defensive scheme.
Jenkins had 38 tackles and 2.5 sacks last season while starting 15 of 16 games for Carolina. But that wasn't good enough for the Panthers, who wanted to avoid having to pay Jenkins a $1 million roster bonus due next week.

Damione Lewis, who was re-signed earlier this month, is expected to replace Jenkins in the starting lineup.
[h4]Stroud to visit Bills[/h4]
Jacksonville's Marcus Stroud will be taking a visit to Buffalo, which could lead to a trade between the two teams for the defensive tackle's services.

The Jaguars have given Stroud permission to shop himself in a trade. Stroud's lofty salary (a team-high $6.3 million in 2008) and struggles to stay on the field have landed him on the trading block. Stroud has missed 12 games the past two seasons because of injuries and a steroid suspension.

Between 2003 and 2005, Stroud was one of the NFL's best defensive tackles. He could help upgrade a Bills defense that ranked 25th against the run (124.6-yard average) last season.
[h4]Friday a.m. note -- picking up Pace[/h4]
Don't be surprised if Arizona linebacker Calvin Pace leaves South Florida as a member of the Miami Dolphins following a free-agent visit.

A league source told FOXSports.com that Miami is preparing to offer Pace the same kind of mega-deal that linebackers Adalius Thomas and Joey Porter received in free agency last off-season. New England and Miami signed Thomas and Porter respectively to five-year, $32 million contracts that included $20 million in guaranteed money.

Incidentally, Thomas and Porter never made the kind of impact in 2007 that was expected for the money paid.

While the 2003 first-round pick struggled as a 4-3 defensive end in his first four NFL seasons, Pace blossomed last year when moved to outside linebacker in Arizona's new 3-4 scheme. Pace finished with career highs in tackles (98), sacks (6.5) and passes defensed (6).

By franchising fellow outside linebacker Karlos Dansby, Arizona was willing to let Pace test the market. Unless wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald can be signed to a new contract that lowers his salary cap number of roughly $16 million, Arizona appears likely to lose Pace and wideout Bryant Johnson in free agency.
  • San Francisco running back Maurice Hicks is planning to take a future free-agent visit to Minnesota, FOXSports.com has learned.

• Hicks started five games for the 49ers in 2004 and 2005 and has primarily handled kick returns for the past two seasons.

Philadelphia and Houston also have expressed interest in Hicks, a source said.
  • Adam Caplan of scout.com reports that New Orleans will re-sign defensive tackle Brian Young and linebacker Mark Simoneau. Young is slated to receive a three-year, $12 million deal. [h4]Fawning over Faneca[/h4]
    It's a three-team race for Pittsburgh guard Alan Faneca.

FOXSports.com has learned that Faneca is receiving strong interest from San Francisco, St. Louis and the New York Jets. Faneca doesn't plan on making any free-agent visits while mulling impending contract offers but hopes to make a decision between those squads within the next 48 hours.

All three suitors are desperate for offensive line help.

Considered the NFL's top free-agent offensive lineman, Faneca has gotten named to seven consecutive Pro Bowls. But because of his age (31) and the high salary he is commanding, Faneca will not be re-signed by the Steelers.

Chris Kemoeatu is expected to replace Faneca as Pittsburgh's starting left guard provided he is re-signed as a restricted free agent.
    [h4]Vikings off and running[/h4]
    Expected to take a plunge into free agency, the Minnesota Vikings aren't disappointing.

FOXSports.com has confirmed reports that Chicago wide receiver Bernard Berrian and Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith are drawing strong interest. The Vikings hope to visit with both players today.

Signing Berrian and Smith would address two Vikings needs. Minnesota is lacking a veteran wideout to pair with quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, while Smith would fill the void created when starting end Kenechi Udeze was recently diagnosed with leukemia.
    [h4]Name recognition[/h4]
    Two of the biggest names in free agency are already set for free-agent visits.

FOXSports.com has learned Oakland wide receiver Jerry Porter is set to visit with Jacksonville and may already have reached agreement on a contract. Also, a source said Philadelphia is set to host New England cornerback Asante Samuel on a free-agent visit.
    [h4]Quarterbacks on the move[/h4]
    Starting for a 1-15 team in 2007 didn't temper interest in Miami quarterback Cleo Lemon.

FOXSports.com has learned that Lemon is taking a free-agent visit Friday to Jacksonville.

Lemon would serve as the backup to David Garrard, who is entering the final year of his contract. Quinn Gray, who was Jacksonville's second-string quarterback in 2007, is not expected to return as an unrestricted free agent.

Gray could draw interest from Minnesota, which is seeking a veteran quarterback to potentially push Tarvaris Jackson for a starting spot.

Lemon garnered the most extensive playing time of his four-year NFL career in 2007. He started seven games, posting a 1-6 record, and appeared in two others.
    [h4]Packers staying in the division?[/h4]
    FOXSports.com has learned Detroit defensive end Corey Smith is tentatively scheduled for a Monday free-agent visit with Green Bay. A seven-year NFL veteran, Smith saw action in 16 games last season with two starts.

Also, Adam Caplan of scout.com has reported that Oakland defensive end Tyler Brayton has a visit set with Carolina. Caplan says Oakland unsuccessfully tried to re-sign Brayton before the start of the free-agent signing period.
    [h4]Staying put[/h4]
    FOXSports.com has learned Cleveland has re-signed safety Nick Sorensen to a three-year, $2.5 million contract. A special teams ace, Sorensen played half the 2007 season with the Browns following his release by Jacksonville.

I hate...HATE to see Vilma go (he was my favorite Jet)...and think that Mangini unfairly kinda pushed him outta the picture (I understand he supposedly didntfit the D scheme)...but I do like the trade for Jenkins tho...a lot. Gave up our 3rd but still have our 2nd which is obviously much more important.

We better not overpay for Berrian - I'm not sold on dude at all. But I guess a WR tandem of Rice and Berrian won't be all that bad, as long as Tavariscan throw to them
sick.gif
. I'm excited if we get Justin Smith though, weneed to our D-Line to put more pressure on the QB.

Cowboys traded Ferguson to the Dolphins for a swap of 6th rounders this year and a 6th rounder next year...

Opens up about 2.5 million in cap space though, so it's well worth it.

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

On a sidenote, I can't believe we gave Tommy Kelly the highest contract for a DT in history.
That'll change in a bit(Albert Haynsworth is gunna get $$$), but still
smh.gif

I am willing to bet in the next year or two, some disgruntled Raider fan is going to take out Al Davis
laugh.gif
smh.gif

tired.gif
this blows hard. I've been a lifelong raider fan but signingKwame Harris and re-signing Kelly to a 50mil contract is pitiful. The raider organization is SAD! I cant even begin to understand their logic behind this. Withthe money that they are giving away, they could have netted Flozell Adams or Faneca, and a legitimate DT. Why Al, Why? To all the Raiders fans, how can youcontinue to support this team? One bad decision after another, the Raiders can write a book, no i mean, Encyclopedia, of how to ruin an NFL franchise. Theterm "commitment to excellence" should no longer apply to the Raiders. Yeah, im sallty, but wouldn't you be salty too if your team has made movesto make the team worse, year after year.
frown.gif

The Toronto Bills signed Kawinka Mitchell and are meeting with Marcus Stroud.

That front seven is getting a major overhaul and I hope we get Keelen Davis with the second round pick or Dustin Keller but please no Fred Davis.

Kamika Mitchell has reportedly signed a multi-year deal with the Bills.

Gibril Wilson is also reportedly close to signing a deal with the Oakland Raiders.

The only other NYG player that may leave is Ward.

I like Mitchell, but the Giants have the 3rd youngest team in the league, and they still have their core group of players, so it'll only upset me for a dayor 2.
laugh.gif

Cincinnati safety Madieu Williams is headed to Minnesota and has agreed to parameters on a six-year contract that is believed to average about $6 million per year. (NFL Network is saying $34 million for the deal.)
The Vikings website is reporting that fullback Thomas Tapeh has agreed to terms with the team.

Bernard Berrian is en route and will likely be presented with a substantial offer.

Man I really liked Corey Williams, dude was a beast. But getting a 2nd round pick for him at a position where we have a lot of depth is great. Ted Thompsonis going to have another great draft as usual.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Cincinnati safety Madieu Williams is headed to Minnesotat and has agreed to parameters on a six-year contract that is believed to average about $6 million per year. (NFL Network is saying $34 million for the deal.)

pimp.gif

Houston Texans re-sign Andre Davis.. Good for us, this guy was special at the KR position and at WR when Johnson went down... Why are we expressing interest inMaurice Hicks though. ugh.. Why must Kubiak always bring in an unproven RB to show he doesn't need a talented one to succeed in the run game..

Edit: Also the Vikings are tryna get Sage Rosenfels for a 3rd rounder.. I'm not so sure about that yet, let him and Schaub battle it out come trainingcamp.. Just don't hand it to Schaub after how Sage performed during Matt's absence..

The Bears will probably do nothing while every other team is doing as much as they can to get better. We'll probably lose briggs and berrian too

New England free-agent cornerback Asante Samuel is visiting the Philadelphia Eagles, and there are indications a deal could be done as early as Friday afternoon.

The team has scheduled a media availability with Samuel for 4:30 p.m. ET
, though it did not indicate that a deal was done.

Samuel was tagged as the Patriots' franchise player after the 2006 season and played the 2007 season under an agreement that the team would not franchise him again, thus allowing him to test the free-agent market.

Back
Top Bottom