Official NFL Offseason Thread

smh.gif
moving Sheldon to FS, isnt he like 5'8" ?

laugh.gif

Text from Trav

"That Boy LOOSE"

Alan Faneca's agent denies that his client as signed with the Jets.

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.
Source: Newsday

Great day to be an Eagles fan.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Asante has been our first biggest signing for our secondary since Troy Vincent. I expect him to do great with Philly.

^Agreed. This is going to be a huge off season for us. Start the bandwagon Trill...ha...

"False report. It's a false report," agent Rick Smith said. ESPN's website reported the two sides agreed to a four-year, $32 million contract. It appears Faneca is still weighing offers. He could easily wind up with the Jets, but there's no deal yet.
indifferent.gif
@ a falsereport.

Yup. Asante will help us create more turnovers for a defense that ranked last in takeaways last season. Now one of our next challenges is to shift positionsfor either Lito or Sheldon in the secondary or trade one of them elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

indifferent.gif
@ a false report.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
It can still happen, Fizzy...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

The Cincinnati Bengals, who acquired defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in a trade with the Detroit Lions on Friday afternoon, reached a three-year agreement with linebacker Dhani Jones.

The Bengals traded third-round and fifth-round draft picks to Detroit to acquire Rogers.

I hope the Lions will use these picks wisely. Not mad that they traded him away since he quite on the team mid way thorough the season.
ohwell.gif

dont know if this was posted but here it is
NEW YORK (AP)-The New York Jets traded linebacker Jonathan Vilma to the NewOrleans Saints on Friday for an undisclosed draft pick.
Vilma, who missed the last nine weeks of last season because of an injured right knee, had his production decline the last two years after coach EricMangini took over and installed a 3-4 defensive scheme. With rookie David Harris' emergence as aplaymaker at inside linebacker, Vilma became expendable.

"I enjoyed my four seasons with the Jets and thank them for the opportunities they gave me," Vilma said in a statement. "But this representsa new chapter in my football career and in my life and I am truly excited and fortunate to be joining a team that just a little over a year ago was one winaway from appearing in the Super Bowl."

Vilma, who will be 26 in April, had 118 tackles after being the No. 12 overall pick out of Miami in 2004 and being named defensive rookie of the year. Heled the NFL the following season with 187 tackles, earning a Pro Bowl selection while establishing himself as one of the league's top young middlelinebackers.

That changed in 2006, when the Jets switched defenses upon Mangini's arrival from New England and Vilma had just 116 tackles. He played in seven gameslast season before injuring his knee at Cincinnati and had 39 tackles. Meanwhile, Harris appeared to be the perfect fit for the defense, racking up ateam-leading 117 tackles, including 20 in Week 9 against Washington.

Vilma, a two-time defensive captain, was placed on injured reserve on Oct. 27. He would have been a free agent after next season, and reportedly was givenpermission to explore trade options with other teams.

He should become an immediate starter at middle linebacker as the Saints seek to solidify a defense that ranked 26th in the league last season after givingup an average of 348 yards per game. Unlike the Jets, the Saints play a 4-3 defense.

Mark Simoneau started at middle linebacker last season in NewOrleans, flanked by Scott Fujita on the strong side and Scott Shanle on the weak side. Simoneau re-signed with the Saints onFriday.

"In talking with people that are familiar with him, it is clear that he is serious and passionate about the game, that winning is something that isextremely important to him and he has leadership skills that he backs up with his play on the field," Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said. "Weare aware and comfortable with his progress in returning from the injury that sidelined him for the second half of the 2007 season."

Vilma recently wrote on his Web site that his knee was "doing fine" and that he had started jogging, but hadn't done any sprinting yet.

"We've consulted with our medical staff and spent time investigating the particulars surrounding the injury," Loomis said. "We'reconfident that he will return to the standard of play that he set through the first 3 1/2 years of his career."

During his four seasons with the Jets, Vilma started 53 of 55 games he played and had 460 tackles, 2 1/2 sacks, three fumble recoveries, five forced fumblesand 14 passes defensed.

It was a busy day for the Jets, who earlier made another change to their defense by acquiring former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Kris Jenkins from Carolina for third- and fifth-round picks.

The Jets also signed defensive tackle Sione Pouha to a three-yearcontract extension. Pouha, who showed marked improvement last season after coming back from a knee injury the previous year, had one year remaining on hisrookie contract.

AP Sports Writer Brett Martel in New Orleans contributed to this report.

- a couple years ago after katrina, the Saints went on a tear and a lot of people predicted them to win the the NFC, i however never bought into them andthought that they were "playing on fumes" - that they werent as good as their record indicated and that they were just riding a high, the reason ithought this was cause their defense lacked any playmakers and definitely showed against a bears offense
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

- however, i think this is a big first step towards putting together that defense

The Randy Moss suspense is killing me. I don't wanna have to cop another new jersey and root for another new team. The best thing for Moss is to stay withBrady, but iono what fool is thinking and what the Pats are thinking.

I dont see how asante fits in the eagles system. I never seen dude jam a WR. I always see dude at least 5 yards away and sometimes even 10.

I guess we'll see what happens this season.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

indifferent.gif
@ a false report.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
It can still happen, Fizzy...
wink.gif

run.gif

buggz i agree all the way...im not too worried about our D...we played all year without vasher and mike brown so the stats are misleading...but what if we losebriggs? we have too many needs as is to be losing players and creating needs at other positions...im not saying go crazy spending money in free agency becausethat doesnt win games but u only have so many draft picks and qb, wr, rb, and oline are immediate needs...if we can get a good solid oline im not too worriedabo¨t rb, any rb can run when he gets a gøod push and big holes...but still would love to see mendenhall's name called at 14
smokin.gif

49ers agreed to terms with WR Isaac Bruce on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

He's a No. 1 receiver again. Bruce, 35, isn't the sensationally reliable wideout he once was, but can still run routes with the best of 'em. He's averaged 65 catches and 915 yards per season in Scott Linehan's offense 2006-2007.

happy.gif

Edit- Chester already got it.

What do you think about that move Chester. Are the 49ers lookin at any other WRs or will Bruce be the 49ers #1

Originally Posted by RasMekPeace

SoHi 23 wrote:

On a sidenote, I can't believe we gave Tommy Kelly the highest contract for a DT in history.

That'll change in a bit(Albert Haynsworth is gunna get $$$), but still
smh.gif

I am willing to bet in the next year or two, some disgruntled Raider fan is going to take out Al Davis
laugh.gif
smh.gif

tired.gif
this blows hard. I've been a lifelong raider fan but signing
Kwame Harris and re-signing Kelly to a 50mil contract is pitiful. The raider organization is SAD! I cant even begin to understand their logic behind this. With
the money that they are giving away, they could have netted Flozell Adams or Faneca, and a legitimate DT. Why Al, Why? To all the Raiders fans, how can you
continue to support this team? One bad decision after another, the Raiders can write a book, no i mean, Encyclopedia, of how to ruin an NFL franchise. The
term "commitment to excellence" should no longer apply to the Raiders. Yeah, im sallty, but wouldn't you be salty too if your team has made moves
to make the team worse, year after year.
frown.gif

Chill, it's not necessarily a bad move. Given the fact that Kelly has shown that he can play at DT with his quickness. Added to that is the fact that thiscontract is mostly back loaded money.

And I think the biggest part of the expensive contract is that it's added pressure on the Broncos and Colts to sign and re-sign their defensive players. Ina way, Al Davis set the bar so high, that

Luis Castillo and whoever the Broncos was looking at ( I think Shaun Rogers) would be trying to get that same type of payday. So I don't see it as aproblem.

As far as Kwame Harris is concerned, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tom Cable (our O-Line coach) specifically requested him because hefeels that Harris can fit our Zone Blocking

Scheme a lot better than Barry Sims, who we cut. I trust Cable's judgment considering what he did with our sorry O-line last year.

All we need now is a wide receiver. Devin Thomas 2nd round, maybe sign Berrian and/or Stallworth. That would be my ideal situation.

Originally Posted by jville819

Edit- Chester already got it.

What do you think about that move Chester. Are the 49ers lookin at any other WRs or will Bruce be the 49ers #1

I still have a feeling they aren't done, whether its in FA or the draft. Bringing in a young buck to learn under Bruce couldn't hurt, and I won'tmind Darrell Jackson half as much as the #2/3 guy. Bruce can play as a #1 the same way Derrick Mason does... won't be a flashy, long bomb kind of guy, buthis routes will be slick and SHOULD help develop one of our young QB's.

I really, really like the deal. I'd rather pay Ike some decent cheddar and get a reliable option as opposed to dropping some loot on a guy likeBerrian.

Back
Top Bottom