Official NFL Offseason Thread

Money gettin thrown around like crazy this off season and Randy can't get anything better than 3 years 27 mil

Hello,
First of all, I'm a Jet fan and I'm glad they're making moves early in free agency rather than waiting for leftovers. On the other hand I amnot happy about the absurd overspending. $22 million guaranteed for CALVIN PACE?? $11 million guaranteed for DAMIEN WOODY?? I agree with the Faneca deal,simply because LG was our greatest need heading into the off-season. Come on, I know we have cap space but why are we throwing it at mediocre players? I hopefor the fans sake that all these moves pay off.
Then there's the trades. The Kris Jenkins trade fills a need, but hopefully he can prove to be a true NT in our 3-4 system. I feel we could'vegotten more for both Vilma and Robertson, since they were both productive before moving to the 3-4 defense. Like I said earlier, all of these moves need topayoff for the Jets to be competitive next year. If all of these moves turn out for the best, then the Jets will be in the playoffs again next year.

Vilma had no value....I'm not sure why people think we could've gotten more...

He's a better player than a 4th round pick obviously...but we killed his value

everyone needs to relax on that calvin pace deal, my man tuna wanted him bad so you know dude has skill ... im sure it will work out watch

No matter how much Tuna wanted him, $22 million guaranteed is what Pro Bowl linebackers get, not 1 year wonders who are new to playing the LB position. I meanseriously, he got more money than Lance Briggs got. Even though I think Briggs isn't as good as advertised, he's a proven commodity, unlike CalvinPace.

22 upfront for 14 sacks over the last 5 years...

laugh.gif

the reason randy moss didnt get more than 3 years 27 million was his own doing.. if he played hard every play throughout his career instead of giving up whenhe thought the team wasnt any good.. he would have gotten paid in a major way this season

This has been a wild NFL offseason, all these guys getting big contracts and very few if any deserving of them.

I'm still trying to figure out who Tommy Kelly is and how he got a $50 million contract.
laugh.gif

Anybody got any news on Haynesworth and where he might go? I'm suprised he isn't signed yet.

Originally Posted by toine2983

This has been a wild NFL offseason, all these guys getting big contracts and very few if any deserving of them.

I'm still trying to figure out who Tommy Kelly is and how he got a $50 million contract.
laugh.gif

Anybody got any news on Haynesworth and where he might go? I'm suprised he isn't signed yet.

Haynesworth was franchised from jump street....where you been?

i knew the name sounded familiar.....he played for wake forest back in the day......damn i didnt know he was getting off like that in the league to get acontract like that (Calvin Pace)

Roethlisberger agrees to $102 million deal

Monday, March 03, 2008

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

20080303ds13332_brk_330.jpg

Darrell Sapp/Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, right, greets coach Mike Tomlin and team owner Dan Rooney at the press conference to announce Roethlisberger's contract extension.

Ben Roethlisberger became not only the highest-paid Steelers player ever, he's now among the highest-paid players in the NFL, and arguments can be made that he's No. 1.

Roethlisberger today signed a contract that will pay him $102 million over eight seasons. It includes so-called "guaranteed money" of slightly more than $36 million and a $25 million signing bonus.

"This is about being a Pittsburgh Steeler for as long as I can be,'' Roethlisberger said. "I don't want to go anywhere.''

Said Dan Rooney, the Steelers chairman, "He's a Steeler, he'll always be a Steeler.''

Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner, arrived in Pittsburgh Sunday to wrap up a deal they've been negotiating for nearly a month.

It was important for the Steelers to get the deal finished before a signing bonus of $2.95 million was due Roethlisberger in a few days. By doing the contract earlier, they could put that money into the signing bonus, which is spread over the life of the contract.

The Steelers had only $2.4 million left under their cap, so it's possible they must rescind the nearly $7 million tender given to tackle Max Starks as their transition player.

The signing apparently did not hurt their small-time hunt in free agency. They are entertaining their first unrestricted free agent today at their facility, running back Mewelde Moore of the Minnesota Vikings. Moore, 25, is 5-11, 209 and has played on a limited basis the past two seasons in Minnesota.

And tomorrow, Eugene Wilson, a former starting free safety for the New England Patriots, will visit.

Congrats to Big Ben and the contract. He will retire a Steeler. That is pretty sweet. I guarantee there is a motorcycle clause in that as well.....

Another Miami athlete making noise, I love it

It is right around the Peyton and Carson contract. It is hard to compare football contracts, but it would've been nice if he pulled a "Tom Bradydiscount", but I understand he deserves the money

[table][tr][td]
Moss Staying in New England

NFL_Moss_small.jpg

Patriots agreed to terms with WR Randy Moss on a three-year, $27 million contract, according to NBCSports.com's Tom Curran. The Boston Globe reports Moss' deal includes a $12 million signing bonus.

According to the Boston Herald, the Eagles offered Moss more money, but he turned them down. Moss will make only $1.33 million-per-year more than Bernard Berrian. His guaranteed money did increase. Moss and Tom Brady can't expect to set records again in 2008, but they are slight favorites to remain atop their positions in fantasy leagues while playing together. Mar. 3 - 2:02 pm et
Source: NBCSports.com [/td] [/tr][/table]

mad.gif

smh.gif

tired.gif

$%#! those $*+%#@% Patriot $%@+%$+ with their $*+%#@% %*%%+ of a QB and Bill $*+%#@% Belli-cheat...

Ok... I'm calm now.

I knew Pace was gonna be gonna be over paid, but Woody shouldn't have gotten that much either.

How we go from not paying Pete Kendall an extra $1Mill to overpaying Pace & Woody?
smh.gif

Browns, Jaguars, Eagles among winners in free agency

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Updated: March 3, 2008

The first wave of free agency was like a tsunami.

Eighteen NFL teams worked out more $714 million in contracts to acquire 39 players in the first three days of the free-agent signing period. Eight trades were worked out. Nine last-minute deals were completed to prevent free agents from hitting the market on the eve of free agency. Stars Randy Moss (New England) and Lance Briggs (Chicago) agreed to re-sign after free agency started Friday.

Here are the winners and losers so far:

Winners

Cleveland Browns: With four of his five draft choices gone in trades, Browns general manager Phil Savage can schedule his vacation for draft day, and he has earned a rest. He beefed up the defensive line with trades for Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams. He added Donte' Stallworth to an already potent offense. He signed quarterback Derek Anderson to a three-year contract and, with Brady Quinn on the roster, he now has security at that vital position. Savage learned to build through the draft when he was in Baltimore, but his unconventional aggressiveness at the start of free agency might turn the Browns from a 10-win surprise in 2007 into the team to beat in the AFC North.

Jacksonville Jaguars: The draft hasn't been productive for the Jaguars at wide receiver. Former first-rounders Reggie Williams and Matt Jones have been disappointments. The Jaguars, who had moderate success last season with free-agent receiver Dennis Northcutt, added former Raider wideout Jerry Porter and traded for the speedy Troy Williamson. To help their secondary, the Jags spent $6 million a year for ex-Chargers cornerback Drayton Florence, who was second to Asante Samuel on the free-agent cornerback list. Cleo Lemon was signed to back up David Garrard at quarterback.

Philadelphia Eagles: It's hard to go wrong when you pay for quality. The Eagles wasted no time signing Pro Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel to join an already talented secondary. Samuel is a playmaker. The Eagles intercepted only 11 passes last season. Samuel had six alone and has the potential to get double-digit picks in any season. The signing that put the Eagles over the top, however, was getting little-known pass-rusher Chris Clemons out of Oakland. Clemons, who had eight sacks last season, is ready to make a name for himself.

Miami Dolphins: Bill Parcells and the Dolphins have been one of the league's more aggressive teams. They've signed seven unrestricted free agents and traded for nose tackle Jason Ferguson. The biggest thing the Dolphins did is get younger. They released five veterans whose average age was 34.2. Those aging vets were replaced by seven free agents whose average age is 26.7. The additions of Ferguson and defensive tackle Randy Starks probably mean the Dolphins aren't going to take LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey with the first pick.

Minnesota Vikings: Former Bengal Madieu Williams was the first to sign, giving the defense more coverage ability at safety. Former Bear Bernard Berrian was costly at $7 million a year, but he has deep speed and should be a steady 1,000-yard receiver. Thomas Tapeh will help at fullback and knows the system -- he played for Brad Childress when he was in Philadelphia. The next mission is to find help at defensive end because of the health concerns of Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze

Losers

New England Patriots: What a tough start to the offseason. The secondary took hits with cornerback Asante Samuel heading to Philadelphia, cornerback Randall Gay going to New Orleans and safety Eugene Wilson expected to leave in the next few days. Even though Moss is staying, the Pats lost WR Donte' Stallworth to Cleveland and Jabar Gaffney is unsigned. Outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin was released.

New York Giants: The price of success was losing three key defenders from a Super Bowl team. If Michael Strahan retires, the Giants may not be able to overcome all the losses. General manager Jerry Reese must find a replacement for safety Gibril Wilson, who took his 100 tackles a season to the Raiders. The linebacking corps was raided, with Reggie Torbor going to Miami and Kawika Mitchell to Buffalo. Some of the defensive replacements might have to come through the draft.

Chicago Bears: Rex Grossman and the Bears reunited for one more fling at quarterback, but he doesn't have a starting receiver to help him. The release of Muhsin Muhammad was expected, but the loss of Bernard Berrian to the Vikings could be hard to overcome. Options in the free-agent market are dwindling, and it's the offense that needs the biggest boost. Many fans wanted former Charger Michael Turner for the running game, but he went to Atlanta. Lovie Smith talks about making Devin Hester a starting receiver, but is he ready for that full-time action?

Oakland Raiders: The Raiders paid $50.5 million to keep defensive tackle Tommy Kelly and $39 million for ex-Giants safety Gibril Wilson. Those are staggering numbers. But the numbers staggering the Raiders even more are the blank holes on offense. Porter left for Jacksonville, leaving the receiving corps with no speed and limited options to fix the problem. Josh McCown surprised the Raiders a bit by bolting to Miami, leaving JaMarcus Russell with only Andrew Walter as a backup.

Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs want to get younger, so they skipped the first wave of free agency by signing only Falcons linebacker Demorrio Williams. Maybe it's me, but isn't their linebacking corps one of the strengths of the team? Of course, that's minor compared to the next set of problems. The Chiefs released six veterans in their 30s -- nose tackle James Reed, retired halfback Priest Holmes, offensive linemen Chris Bober and John Welbourn, wide receiver Eddie Kennison and blocking tight end Jason Dunn. Cornerback Ty Law and linebacker Kendrell Bell are the next slated to go. Where are the replacements coming from? The Chiefs have 11 draft choices, so they will get younger, but will they get better?

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Defensive end Antwan Odom has signed a five-year deal worth $29.5 million with the Cincinnati Bengals, according to his agent.The four-year veteran will receive $11.5 million in guaranteed money in the package
roll.gif

Good lord, I give up. I haven't understood but a handful of signings this offseason... good to see how inflated the market is for next year.
smh.gif

Steven Jackson is gonna get a $250 million dollar contract from someone.

Back
Top Bottom