Official NFL Offseason Thread

I think Aaron Rodgers will be good, having Favre as a mentor has already produced Hasselback...

Aaron Brooks, Ty Detmer, Marc Brunell as well.

but from what has been reported, its not Brett doin the teaching and assisting, its the coaching, Brett ,quote unquote, "desnt hold the back uphand"
Choice, forte, jamal charles, charles, ray rice or kevin smith.. at least 2 of these backs will be around in round 3 when Green Bay picks

Yea, I agree, and like I said, the drop off in talent is a large one when u compare Forte/Choice to the rest.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

I think Aaron Rodgers will be good, having Favre as a mentor has already produced Hasselback...
Aaron Brooks, Ty Detmer, Marc Brunell as well.

but from what has been reported, its not Brett doin the teaching and assisting, its the coaching, Brett ,quote unquote, "desnt hold the back up hand"
Choice, forte, jamal charles, charles, ray rice or kevin smith.. at least 2 of these backs will be around in round 3 when Green Bay picks

Yea, I agree, and like I said, the drop off in talent is a large one when u compare Forte/Choice to the rest.

I think maybe the Packers take Forte/Choice with the Brown's 2nd round pick, take Cro pt. II with their first round pick and the best availableblocking TE with their 2nd round pick.

Um...Aaron Rodgers. They're in good hands, trust.

I'll continue the same thing i've said since that draft...Rodgers > Smith.

that ain't saying much....also, you gotta base his potential off of more than playing a lil bit vs. Dallas....there is a HUGE question mark at QB....ofcourse Rodgers is the man, but who knows how he will fare? To say they're in good hands is a huge stretch.

also, Favre wasn't the best of mentor to some if not all of his backups over the years....he is very abrasive, and was very hands-off in showing the youngguys the ropes...

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

take Cro pt. II with their first round pick
He's not getting past Dallas at 22... If he even makes it that far down the board.

I still see Dallas trading up to get McFadden, plus he's missing a *+%*%%+ kidney so I don't know how many teams are willing to bite the bullet.

smh.gif
Digging ourselves in a hole...

Jets | Potential trade for Robertson on hold
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:44:16 -0800
Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the potential trade between the New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals involving Jets DT Dewayne Robertson is "on life support," according to a source close to the situation. The Jets were expected to receive the Bengals' fourth- and fifth-round draft picks for Robertson, but sources say Cincinnati and Robertson's agent, Hadley Englehard, were unable to agree on contract terms. The deal is currently on hold, but it may be revisited.

tired.gif

DUCKETT SIGNS WITH SEAHAWKS by Michael David Smith

Free agent running back T.J. Duckett has signed a five-year contract with the Seattle Seahawks, SpartanNation.com is reporting.

Duckett, a 6-foot, 254-pounder, carried 65 times for 335 yards and three touchdowns last year as a backup for the Detroit Lions. The Seahawks will be his fourth team in the last four seasons; he spent 2006 with the Washington ******** and played for four years before that with the Atlanta Falcons.

The addition of Duckett in Seattle will raise more questions about whether Shaun Alexander is done with the Seahawks. Although Alexander is only two years removed from an MVP season, he has averaged just three and a half yards a carry the last two years, and he'll turn 31 before the 2008 season begins.

From yahoosports.com:

Patriots start to rebuild secondary by signing CB Webster FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)-With cornerbacks Asante Samuel and Randall Gay leavingas free agents, the New England Patriots began rebuilding their secondary on Tuesday by signing cornerback Jason Webster. The 5-foot-9, 187-pound Webster has 393 tackles and 11 interceptions in 87 career games, 74 of themstarts. He played in one game last season for Buffalo before being placed on the reserve/injured list with an arm injury on Sept. 13. Theeight-year veteran was a second-round draft pick of San Francisco in 2000 and played four years with the 49ers before signing as a free agent with Atlanta,where he played for three years. Patriots coach Bill Belichick says Webster is "an experienced veteran who will add good depth toour secondary."

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

If Favre is really leaving... what do the Packers do?
Um...Aaron Rodgers. They're in good hands, trust.

I'll continue the same thing i've said since that draft...Rodgers > Smith.

Forreal...
Rodgers is an unknown right now, so it'd be premature to say he'll do well, but from what we've seen of him (vs Dallas) it's very encouraging.
also, i've seen him at cal many times. he has "it". other QBs like Cal QB #9 doesn't. i think he'll be better than all of u are saying,just cuz he hasn't had any meaningful snaps other than the Dallas game doesn't mean he's trash. obviously you can't expect him to be anywherenear brett favre...
To say they're in good hands is a huge stretch.
True. But to say that Rodgers is trash is a huge stretch as well. (like Jaws, and others)

FREAK RETURNING TO TITANS? by Michael David Smith

Free agent defensive end Jevon Kearse may be looking to return to the place where his NFL career began.

Kearse, who spent the first five years of his NFL career with the Tennessee Titans and the last four with the Philadelphia Eagles, will visit the Titans Wednesday. Tennessee could use a defensive end, after watching free agents Antwan Odom and Travis Laboy sign elsewhere.

If Kearse doesn't sign with the Titans Wednesday, he will pay a visit to Minnesota on Thursday. The Vikings also need a defensive end; they wanted Odom before he signed with the Bengals and wanted former Bengal Justin Smith before he signed with the 49ers.

Originally Posted by toine2983

This has been a wild NFL offseason, all these guys getting big contracts and very few if any deserving of them.

I'm still trying to figure out who Tommy Kelly is and how he got a $50 million contract.
laugh.gif

Anybody got any news on Haynesworth and where he might go? I'm suprised he isn't signed yet.
u must not know anything about how contracts work if u think Kelly is gonna see 50 mill..... and u dont need to know him, Raider fans do....

jerry angelo talks about "stability" at the quarterback position being a priority.

larry mayer says that the bears believe in re-signing current players rather than pursuing free agents.

lovie says he thinks we're close with the guys we have.

so why are two of the only 3 players re-signed quarterbacks who have been anything but stable in the last few years...to one year contracts that will put themin the same shape next year?

and if "we're close" why are we leaving ourselves in a position to have so many needs in the draft? teams that feel they are close add veteransat a few key positions, not rely on a stable of rookies.

i'm fine with them cutting moose, not over-paying berrian and trading griese, but they should have went after faneca and turner at the very least. now weneed 2 wrs, a rb, a qb, og, ot, and a safety. assuming even half of these picks pan out, we're still in a bad spot.

Looks like Javon Walker signed with the Raiders

and as far as Kelly, his contract is still pretty cap friendly. Al Davis rarely screws himself with the contracts he gives to players.

It's a back end loaded contract like most of those Al Davis deals.

Originally Posted by Berkeley Boy

and as far as Kelly, his contract is still pretty cap friendly. Al Davis rarely screws himself with the contracts he gives to players.

yup yup..... while everyone is laughing at 50 mil he will most likely see about 25 of that.... Kelly would have been one of the top sought afterdlineman, and we had to lock him up or he might have been a jacka...... errr.... donkey. And yea boi!!!!!!! Javon Walker!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by xCautioNx

Berkeley Boy wrote:

yup yup..... while everyone is laughing at 50 mil he will most likely see about 25 of that.... Kelly would have been one of the top sought after
dlineman, and we had to lock him up or he might have been a jacka...... errr.... donkey. And yea boi!!!!!!! Javon Walker!!!!!!!

Yup, but at 6 years 55 million. Supposedly around $16 mill in guarantees according to NFLN sports ticker.

I hope he will be motivated and want to show the league, especially the Broncos that they made a mistake by not pursuing him. When healthy, he can be aformidable threat.

man thats a lot of money for javon... If hes healthy hes good for 1000 yards.. but hopefully the raiders are protected from injury.. there should be some typeof clause in the contract.. also.. raiders signed kwame harris.. 3 years 16mill.. i dont know how much is gaurenteed though.. raiders gotta be the only teamrunnings the zone blocking scheme with linemen that are 6'7 315 lol.. but hey.. it worked last year

pimp.gif

just like expected. i hope he gets extra motivated and whoopsthe broncos.

[h1]Source: Ex-Bronco Walker agrees to 6-year deal with Raiders[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: March 4, 2008, 9:49 PM ET

Wide receiver Javon Walker, released by the Denver Broncos on Friday, agreed to a deal with the division-rival Oakland Raiders on Tuesday, a source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

3548.jpg

Walker

The terms of the deal call for Walker to receive a six-year, $55 million contract that includes more than $16 million in guarantees and pays him roughly $27 million over the first three years of the deal.

Soon after being released, at least a third of the league reached out to the six-year veteran.

Injuries limited Walker to eight games last season and he finished with 26 catches for 287 yards and no touchdowns.

He started the season with two 100-yard games before missing two months following a third knee operation.

Beginning his career with the Packers, Walker played two seasons in Denver. He had 69 catches for 1,084 yards and eight TDs the first season. But the offseason was punctuated by tragedy. Involved in a drive-by shooting soon after the season ended, teammate Darrent Williams died in Walker's arms.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by S Dizzel

man thats a lot of money for javon... If hes healthy hes good for 1000 yards.. but hopefully the raiders are protected from injury.. there should be some type
of clause in the contract.. also.. raiders signed kwame harris.. 3 years 16mill.. i dont know how much is gaurenteed though.. raiders gotta be the only team
runnings the zone blocking scheme with linemen that are 6'7 315 lol.. but hey.. it worked last year

laugh.gif
but my man Tom Cable saw something in Kwame Harris. I trust Cable after the success he had with the trashy O-Line we had and still have.

Although, I must say that Robert Gallery has been good at Guard, but his contract does not reflect Guard work.

And Oh, watch out for Drew Carter from the Panthers....he has been meeting with us since Sunday. I don't know the status of the talks, but who really wantsDrew Carter?

So don't be surprised if he's a Raider as well. All in all, I'm happy with the moves Mr. Davis is making.

I refuse to believe that Kwame Harris gets paid to play football.

Point blank - if your name is Kwame, don't play sports.

Originally Posted by S Dizzel

man thats a lot of money for javon... If hes healthy hes good for 1000 yards.. but hopefully the raiders are protected from injury.. there should be some type
of clause in the contract.. also.. raiders signed kwame harris.. 3 years 16mill.. i dont know how much is gaurenteed though.. raiders gotta be the only team
runnings the zone blocking scheme with linemen that are 6'7 315 lol.. but hey.. it worked last year

laugh.gif
but my man Tom Cable saw something in Kwame Harris. I trust Cable after the success he had with the trashy O-Line we had and still have.

Although, I must say that Robert Gallery has been good at Guard, but his contract does not reflect Guard work.

And Oh, watch out for Drew Carter from the Panthers....he has been meeting with us since Sunday. I don't know the status of the talks, but who really wants Drew Carter?

So don't be surprised if he's a Raider as well. All in all, I'm happy with the moves Mr. Davis is making.

I may be wrong, but didn't Kwame play a zone blocking scheme in college?

Javon gets almost 10 mil a year coming off serious knee injuries in 2 of the last 3 years, the dreaded micro-fracture rumors looming... Eh. I guess if he'shealthy it's worth it, but it seems like the Raiders really outbid themselves here.

Back
Top Bottom