Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Gold Medal Game Gets Big Rating
1st March, 2010 - 3:28 pm

New York Times - The Gold Medal game on Sunday between the United States and Canada had 27.6 million viewers in the United States.

The 27.6 million viewers put the game ahead of such recent high-profile sports contests as the Masters golf tournament (14.3 million), the Daytona 500 (16 million viewers), the top game from last year’s NBA Finals (16 million), the NCAA basketball final (17.6 million), Game 4 (the most watched) of the 2009 World Series (22.8 million) and the 2010 Rose Bowl (24 million).

The game was surpassed in audience only twice before by hockey games: that 1980 semi-final vs. the USSR, which reached 34.2 million viewers, and the gold medal game that year when the Americans beat Finland, and 32.8 million watched.

----------------------

going by all that nonsense in that other thread, i thought americans didnt care about hockey...

I wonder if the Leopold trade is a sign of something bigger to come. I wouldn't be surprised if we shipped Gonchar.

Chelios, 48, signs with Thrashers

Chris Chelios signed with the Atlanta Thrashers on Tuesday, but he'll stay with the Chicago Wolves if he clears waivers Wednesday at noon ET.

[h4]ESPN 1000, Chicago[/h4]
Chris Chelios joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 and broke the news that he signed with the Atlanta Thrashers at the age of 48.

More Podcasts »

"Chris has been tremendous for us in Chicago in this year, especially with our young players," Thrashers general manager Don Waddell told ESPN.com. "As we enter this March drive towards the playoffs, you can never have enough depth at defenseman, especially with the experience Cheli brings to the table.

"Our plan is that if he clears waivers, we'll leave him in Chicago. If we run into injuries or if we need a change, he's available to us."

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reports Chelios, 48, signed a two-way NHL contract that pays him $700,000 in salary in the NHL and $105,000 in the AHL.

Chelios played with the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League this season, appearing in 44 games with 21 points (five goals, 16 assists) and ranking second in the league with a plus-35 rating.

"Who knows, a couple of injuries there -- they're kind of close of getting in the playoff race -- [I might] get lucky and get in a few games," Chelios said. "It's been a good year [with the Wolves], and if this is where it ends, it's been a good time."

A 25-year NHL veteran, Chelios ranks 10th all time in scoring for defensemen. The Chicago native is a three-time Norris Trophy winner and a four-time Olympian. He also played on three Stanley Cup champions.

Chelios starred for the Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings.

Senators trade draft pick for Sutton

The Ottawa Senators have acquired veteran defenseman Andy Sutton from the New York Islanders in exchange for a second-round draft pick.

Sutton is slated for unrestricted free agency July 1 and has been on the trade market for a while.

The second-round pick sent to the Islanders was originally San Jose's.

The Senators, surprisingly challenging the Buffalo Sabres for the Northeast Division lead, also added veteran center Matt Cullen before the Olympics.

Source: Islanders GM to meet doctors

New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow will consult with team doctors on Tuesday on goaltender Rick DiPietro's left knee, a team source told ESPN.com.

DiPietro's surgically repaired knee swelled up late Sunday, hours after practice. He visited a doctor Monday morning and he is out indefinitely, according to media reports.

DiPietro said the medical visit was precautionary.

"It's like anything, you fear the worst and hope the best and this is as close to the best as possible," DiPietro told reporters. "This is a big thing we're battling back from here and we don't want to do anything foolish to ruin all the hard work we've put into it."

DiPietro missed the first three months of this season rehabbing his knee. He returned to action in January.

peter chiarelli and co....we're waiting
nerd.gif

pathetic 3rd period tonight
sick.gif

saw we got the rights to some dude for a 4th rounder...the name escapes me since i was drinking at the bar

Depressing game to be at. Best part was they had Thomas' Silver and Bergeron's Gold medals on display that I had like four seconds to take a half decent pic of while I was being rushed along by a security guy cause the guy in front of me took too long.
mad.gif
Ill upload it tomorrow.

Gents free customization today only on jerseys at NHL.com and that includes international stuff. Also use code AFFTP7 for additional 20% off. Just ordered Sids Canada jersey for 107 shipped. Fake ones are almost that much! Awesome stuff

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Gents free customization today only on jerseys at NHL.com and that includes international stuff. Also use code AFFTP7 for additional 20% off. Just ordered Sids Canada jersey for 107 shipped. Fake ones are almost that much! Awesome stuff

good looks.

xxl is the only size ava. (canada jersey)
tired.gif

Oh and very cool that the Pit crowd gave a huge standing O to Ryan Miller before the game when he was announced. Cool stuff, guy deserves it in every arena in the US

laugh.gif
 i really want a richards version so im really tempted to give in but me wearing an XXL is gonna look....
smh.gif

i might just go w/ a jvr jersey

Trade deadline today!

Biggest trade so far is arguably Coyotes acquire Wojtek Wolski from Avalanche for Peter Mueller and Kevin Porter.

For Boston fans:

11:32am(et): Bruins acquire D-Dennis Seidenberg D-Matthew Bartowski FROM Panthers for F-Craig Weller F-Byron Bitz 2nd-Round Pick (2010)

10:29am(et): Coyotes acquire D-Derek Morris FROM Bruins for 4th-Round Pick (2011)

Bruins still in the market for front line forward

Originally Posted by True Blues

For Boston fans:

11:32am(et): Bruins acquire D-Dennis Seidenberg D-Matthew Bartowski FROM Panthers for F-Craig Weller F-Byron Bitz 2nd-Round Pick (2010)

10:29am(et): Coyotes acquire D-Derek Morris FROM Bruins for 4th-Round Pick (2011)

Bruins still in the market for front line forward
thanks for the info man.

seidenberg isn't a bad move...i was a bitz fan tho. i hate the morris move tho.

Back
Top Bottom