Official Nike Air Yeezy II "Red" Thread NO BOT TALK--NO FAKE/GM TALK-NO BUY/SELL/TRADE TALK-- Ye to

Status
Not open for further replies.

I just don't see it. Even with Nike, his following was small in comparison to Nike Basketball. The majority of sneaker buyers till this day dont know or care what a Yeezy is.

I feel his "diva" attitude is gonna make other collaborators NOT want to work with him. He's burning bridges with Zappos...let's say Zappos drops their adidas account because of his statements (Yes, I know it's far fetched). Designers are watching him self destruct and might hinder an Adidas collaborator to NOT want to do a joint design with him.
His following IS small in comparison to Nike Basketball if we're talking Nike products. But his influence on CULTURE is significantly larger than that of Nike Basketball. Nike Basketball athletes try to dress like Kanye West. Point blank. So now primary athletes of the swoosh will be idolizing a "competitor." While Kanye's sales don't directly make up for the lapse I see coming, the trickle down effect most certainly will.

And don't think for one second that Kanye speaking out against the swoosh won't influence a fickle guy like Lebron, who is considering a return to the Cavs..... which is equally as ridiculous as switching brands as an established Nike athlete. Not saying it's likely... hell if it's even contractually possible... but man, that'd be something. What a way to return home than with a whole new marketing strategy and product. It could potentially be one of the most genius moves in branding history... and if anyone has the influence to make something like that happen in the sports world, it's Kanye and/or Jay-Z, being such huge culture icons. It's really as simple as something like Kanye and Lebron having dinner one night and Kanye catching LBJ's ear.

Again, not likely, or might not even be possible, but this is the kind of influence Kanye has on Nike's highest grossing athletes. Whether they're Nike or JB, they're subsidiaries of Nike's bottom line, and most of them idolize Kanye. Losing him is NOT good.

exactly. how long could retro jordans carry them? Another decade? What I mean by this is that the generation that can say they saw jordan play is growing up. What about the children of now growing up with KD and LeBron? I don't think as good as they are, that they have the staying power of Michael. Sure, they're popular, but they each only have a couple or so truly memorable models that I don't think they're retro business on them would surpass the jumpman. So, what exactly does nike think they'll have a decade from now?
Great point on the sustainability of Jordan Retros. That will not last forever, either. Repped.
Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Nike Free, Nike Flyknit, Nike Air Max, Nike Fuelband.

Thats all the response I have for you.

Honestly it is. Name something Adidas has at this moment that is outselling those items/people.

I don't have numbers, nor am I about to argue with you over imaginary "what ifs" that haven't been proven yet.

You guys love to argue for pages over charts, metrics, stats, sales, etc. I ain't got time for that.

Do you really think Kanye joining Adidas is going to fill that 4 BILLION dollar gap my dude?

My point was, and still is, Nike isn't losing much, if ANYTHING with the departure of Kanye West. For those items/people I stated above.

Stop taking my statement deeper than it really is.

Now before we even engage in a back and forth, lets get back to these NIKE'S bruh...
Refer to: my last post.

Half those athletes you listed idolize Kanye West.

Nike also doesn't have cream of the crop FASHION designers like Raf Simons, Rick Owens, or Yohji Yamamoto.

You're talking about what's now, cool. I'm talking about what the future holds. And Nike is burning some good hands.

Last edited:
Y'all have got to be kidding with the Nike bashing. They're one of the most successful contemporary brands, period. "Kanye" as a brand is about five years old, and throwing all the little tantrums that toddlers do.

I don't think Ye's vision would have fit NSW. I doublt Nike would want to market Leather Jogging pants and Belichek hoodies to the masses.

Thats because leather Jogging pants have no performance advantages AT ALL.

Nike is a performance brand. Even NSW has performance tech in mind, just toned down.

Adidas has way more branches catering to Kanye's vision. Which is why the new partnership might work out better. The only difference now is, Kanye will have to work from the ground up with no handicap or platform to build on top of (I.e, Nike Air Tech Challenge midsole/AJIII Midsole and design inspirations).

It can really turn out to be something great, but leather jogging pants on Nike is the hardest thing to even imagine. A swoosh on leather pants? :x

[h1]Who spelled Adidas wrong in the title?[/h1]
BRUH 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't think Kanye going to the three stripes is going to bridge a 4 million dollar gap, but people who didn't even look at an Adidas shoe before will take a look and likely buy.  Except me, I've owned enough SS and SS2G's in high school that I don't want another Adidas shoe unless it's that Rick Owens shoe or Kanye's (maybe).

exactly. how long could retro jordans carry them? Another decade? What I mean by this is that the generation that can say they saw jordan play is growing up. What about the children of now growing up with KD and LeBron? I don't think as good as they are, that they have the staying power of Michael. Sure, they're popular, but they each only have a couple or so truly memorable models that I don't think they're retro business on them would surpass the jumpman. So, what exactly does nike think they'll have a decade from now?

Great point on the sustainability of Jordan Retros. That will not last forever, either. Repped.

Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Nike Free, Nike Flyknit, Nike Air Max, Nike Fuelband.

Thats all the response I have for you.

Honestly it is. Name something Adidas has at this moment that is outselling those items/people.

I don't have numbers, nor am I about to argue with you over imaginary "what ifs" that haven't been proven yet.

You guys love to argue for pages over charts, metrics, stats, sales, etc. I ain't got time for that.

Do you really think Kanye joining Adidas is going to fill that 4 BILLION dollar gap my dude?

My point was, and still is, Nike isn't losing much, if ANYTHING with the departure of Kanye West. For those items/people I stated above.

Stop taking my statement deeper than it really is.

Now before we even engage in a back and forth, lets get back to these NIKE'S bruh...

Refer to: my last post.

Half those athletes you listed idolize Kanye West.

Nike also doesn't have cream of the crop FASHION designers like Raf Simons, Rick Owens, or Yohji Yamamoto.

You're talking about what's now, cool. I'm talking about what the future holds. And Nike is burning some good hands.

Fam if we continue this discussion, just PM me. Meth got it out for heads in the thread now, and I'm tired of spamming it up.

I just want some Red Octobers. Thats why I'm in here.

not really sure why kanye said that, zappos does have a lot of bs brands but they have a super wide selection. nothing but bargain bin as far as Nike but they have all the current season stuff from y-3, red wing heritage, cole haan, all kinds of stuff. they used to have deals tho, everything seems to be regular price now

He had words with Zappos CEO Tony Hseih from when he was in Vegas earlier this year...Apparently Mr. Hsieh was trying to give him advice on his Donda stuff and Kanye wasn't having it...

Smart move from Adidas as they've been low key building a high end fashion staple over there... With Kanye, David Beckham, Stella, Yohji, and Jeremy they are really set to make some heads turn in the fashion world. Im kinda disappointed the didn't let Kanye head the SVLR line tho, thought that would be a better fit...

Adidas looked at the demographic and pretty much let nike have the hanging fruit known as sportswear. B/c at the end of the day the trendy names/colors/and gimmicks are gonna be gone in a few years. Once the retro sneaker head niche is milked dry then what for Nike? Hope that LeBron transcends Michael Jordan? Fall back on performance? By then people will have realized how good under armour products are then what?

Smart move Adidas...

Will be at the NYC show on Sunday.

After the show, I will let everyone know if he says anything about Nike or Adidas or anything.

he didnt say anything at barclays center on tuesday night.... so i wouldnt hold my breath.

he didnt even change the lyrics to "yeezys all on your sofa// these the red octobers//"

he actually let the crowd finish the bar for him (holdin the mic out to the crowd) which made it seem like hes still excited about em... idk lmk

Last edited:
 You guys give ye' too much power like he says in his song , you think nike makes money off of the 2nd market? if anything they get free advertising from it but they could care less if shoes sell for 3k or 300 on the shelves. They make shoes on cents on the dollar therefore they make high profit . Its great ye thinks that he makes a difference in a company but just because kanye decides to sign elsewhere doesn't mean nike will miss their quarterly profit :smile:. As long as nike can continue to sell jordans immortality they will make bank, hence why they invest heavily in technology (FLYKNITWEAR,FUELBAND) 
smokin.gif
 . That being said nike has the final word on release but i dont foresee them scraping this release because he signed elsewhere. ON A FINAL NOTE NIKE HATES THE FACT THAT HIS SNEAKER IS COSTLY TO PRODUCE and still yields $245 MSRP.

^
Nike also has Converse, which is stated to make over 2B by 2017.

Btw Converse has a on-going collab with John Varvatos..

Nike is a performance brand. Even NSW has performance tech in mind, just toned down.

Adidas has way more branches catering to Kanye's vision. Which is why the new partnership might work out better. The only difference now is, Kanye will have to work from the ground up with no handicap or platform to build on top of (I.e, Nike Air Tech Challenge midsole/AJIII Midsole and design inspirations).

It can really turn out to be something great, but leather jogging pants on Nike is the hardest thing to even imagine. A swoosh on leather pants?
sick.gif
See, you definitely get this. So you must understand what I'm saying. All of this is perfectly true. Kanye was never a great fit for what he wanted to get out of Nike - their vision just wasn't compatible.

But, half of Nike's technologies survive in popularity by their brand's reputation and hype which is slowly being tainted, which is my point.

There are competitor products that have been on the market that were able to achieve what the Fuelband SE just debuted doing nearly two years ago. And they are cheaper, too. People just gravitate toward's Nike+ products because they are the pinnacle of hype being a Nike and Apple collaborative effort. And both of those brand's futures are rocky from here if you ask me. They both have "fat and happy" syndrome and have lost their edge.

As I mentioned before, both Lebron and KD look to Kanye as a culture and style icon... so that's not very good for Nike. Air max is an old technology now. Granted, the AM2013 was a big step forward and the most comfortable runner I've ever worn... they are able to achieve this with their outstanding research which is all funded by successfully marketing products. Kanye is a huge part of this giant wave of hype on Nike shoes since the inception of his line and anyone that tries to say differently is just... wrong. So losing him as a marketing chip is gigantic. But not as gigantic as Adidas GAINING it.

Free is the main technology they are living on right now. Free and flyknit. And Adidas has primeknit... which was a whole other legal battle over who developed what first between the two... so Nike doesn't have much of a technological advantage right now outside of the hype on the "innovative" technologies they release.
Fam if we continue this discussion, just PM me. Meth got it out for heads in the thread now, and I'm tired of spamming it up.

EDIT: Kanye to Adidas is in the thread title... so I think the discussion is appropriate...

Last edited:
Hate to beat a dead horse as I didn't read the last couple pages beforehand. but is it safe to say....the red october might never release now that he signed with adidas? Any word on these ever even coming out? I mean, on the business side of things, I can't see how Nike can release the shoe under his name when he signed with one of their competitors in adidas, that's just weird and too many conflicting stuff even if the shoe was already under contract while kanye was with them. It just makes things awkward. 

Hate to beat a dead horse as I didn't read the last couple pages beforehand. but is it safe to say....the red october might never release now that he signed with adidas? Any word on these ever even coming out? I mean, on the business side of things, I can't see how Nike can release the shoe under his name when he signed with one of their competitors in adidas, that's just weird and too many conflicting stuff even if the shoe was already under contract while kanye was with them. It just makes things awkward. 
There's been no official statement from Adidas or Kanye. One would assume they are saving that for after the Reds release, and is probably the only thing holding them back from making the announcement.

Bruh some of y'all praise Kanye more than I do

Him leaving nike isn't going to effect them that much. They're a sportswear company not a designer brand. Sports is where they make there bank and they will continue to do so with or without Kanye

2 questions:

1) think adidas will continue the "yeezy" name on lines of shoes or create something new? :nerd:

2) legally, can nike make a yeezy 3 without his consent? (do they own the rights) :nerd:

Last edited:
Will be at the NYC show on Sunday.

After the show, I will let everyone know if he says anything about Nike or Adidas or anything.
I'll see you at the show :smokin

There's been no official statement from Adidas or Kanye. One would assume they are saving that for after the Reds release, and is probably the only thing holding them back from making the announcement.
with that being said there has been no official announcement of the Red Yeezy's releasing :lol:

It can really turn out to be something great, but leather jogging pants on Nike is the hardest thing to even imagine. A swoosh on leather pants? :x

See, you definitely get this. So you must understand what I'm saying. All of this is perfectly true. Kanye was never a great fit for what he wanted to get out of Nike - their vision just wasn't compatible.

But, half of Nike's technologies survive in popularity by their brand's reputation and hype which is slowly being tainted, which is my point.

There are competitor products that have been on the market that were able to achieve what the Fuelband SE just debuted doing nearly two years ago. And they are cheaper, too. People just gravitate toward's Nike+ products because they are the pinnacle of hype being a Nike and Apple collaborative effort. And both of those brand's futures are rocky from here if you ask me. They both have "fat and happy" syndrome and have lost their edge.

As I mentioned before, both Lebron and KD look to Kanye as a culture and style icon... so that's not very good for Nike. Air max is an old technology now. Granted, the AM2013 was a big step forward and the most comfortable runner I've ever worn... they are able to achieve this with their outstanding research which is all funded by successfully marketing products. Kanye is a huge part of this giant wave of hype on Nike shoes since the inception of his line and anyone that tries to say differently is just... wrong. So losing him as a marketing chip is gigantic. But not as gigantic as Adidas GAINING it.

Free is the main technology they are living on right now. Free and flyknit. And Adidas has primeknit... which was a whole other legal battle over who developed what first between the two... so Nike doesn't have much of a technological advantage right now outside of the hype on the "innovative" technologies they release.

EDIT: Kanye to Adidas is in the thread title... so I think the discussion is appropriate...

Yeah, I never thought Kanye on Adidas was a bad thing.

I just believe that Nike will be fine without him. And there are a lot of variables that go into them being perfectly fine without Mr. West.

Y-3 is damn near a perfect match for Kanye.

the bottom line is are the consumers buying the sneakers bc Kanye's name's on it

OR

are you buying the sneakers regardless of the brand..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom