Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Every time we're on vacation I rent a van and try convincing the wife it would be a good family hauler. Convo usually ends quick when she says I'd be the one who has to daily drive it...

Right now Wife and I have sedans, but when #2 comes at the end of Sept, i'm looking for an SUV.

Maybe like a Pilot , MDX, Highlander, or X5 (with 3rd row seating).

Two car seats will be ok for those cars, right?

I'll be the one hauling the kids daily to school and grandparents house do it'll be 'my' car. I ain't trying to get no Van tho....

We gotta acura mdx with the third row. Couldn't do a van, we also looked 4 runners as well. Did a lot of research and aside from van status, they seemed like the way to go. We had an audi all road, felt super safe, but that maintenance was killer.

Last edited:
I needs this thread in my life.. I need support. :smh:

Cliff's
- BM's is pregnant with our 2nd, we're 18 weeks in, baby due November 5th
- Our first is 2 years old (28 months) Tantrum Queen, spoiled to the core and smart as can be
- We did the home birth, baby pool thing with a midwife and doula, I caught my daughter in the bedroom on the bed, then she pooped on me
- We're doing it again with baby #2
- I have no plans of marrying my BM.... 
- None.
- Trying to make my escape as it's a toxic relationship and has been since before the first one
- I beat my self up a lot about it, not her.

Anywho, this is my first born. I love her to bits, but God is she spoiled. 

View media item 2461664

I need to trace back through the thread, but anyone doing the co-parenting thing? 
damn boss, sounds like you know it's a bad thing but doing it for the kids. They are going to learn all the toxic stuff and be more apt to repeat. We are the example of what adults are to our children, and it's tough to put our needs and frustrations aside, but they will be theirs, too. As dad's, there was an image of tough to uphold, but it isn't that easy. Being strong isn't always hammer and nails strong, but knowing what the best thing emotionally for you and yours is. Sometimes, things just don't happen at the right time, or just plain old don't work. That loss, the fear of the future that is so uncertain can hold us in a place of temporary comfort, blind. It sounds like your not ignorant of the issues, but I had to learn to let go of the comfort, and embrace the uncertainty. I found I was stronger than I could have imagined. Your kids will love you, no matter what.

We gotta acura mdx with the third row. Couldn't do a van, we also looked 4 runners as well. Did a lot of research and aside from van status, they seemed like the way to go. We had an audi all road, felt super safe, but that maintenance was killer.

which is bigger, MDX, PILOT, HIGHLANDER or X5

I tried to do research but it all depends on the year, yada yada...

guess i'll just have to test drive each of them to see....

What kinda gas does the MDX take?

I have a GS300 right now and I'm not trying to pay the 92 gas no mo either.....

I wanna say the highlander had the most space, we went with the acura based on the looks, but the third row is tight. It's fine for my 4 and 7 year old in car seats, but tight. I think all newer rides are gonna recommend the premium gas due to emissions and squeezing every last mpg out of them, they weigh a lot. The performance of pulling mad weight is the equivalent of speed performance. In the end we narrowed it down to reliability and it was the mdx or toyota. I just Google the car and added the word, problems, or even help, in the search and saw what each ones was prone too.

I wanna say the highlander had the most space, we went with the acura based on the looks, but the third row is tight. It's fine for my 4 and 7 year old in car seats, but tight. I think all newer rides are gonna recommend the premium gas due to emissions and squeezing every last mpg out of them, they weigh a lot. The performance of pulling mad weight is the equivalent of speed performance. In the end we narrowed it down to reliability and it was the mdx or toyota. I just Google the car and added the word, problems, or even help, in the search and saw what each ones was prone too.

repped dude.

thanks - i didn't even think about the negatives on each car (like going into details)

i was just going for space, gas, and the main maintenance/upkeep of it.....

When I envision myself driving a minivan, I don't like what I see

Not sure I can do it

Though I did see someone driving a black Odyssey with tinted windows the other day and thought I didn't look bad

I think MDXs are actually not that reliable

i go by JDPOWER for general playing field then directly compair repairpal and consumer affairs along with message boards to make sure I make the best choices

im in the same boat as you guys, ive been eyeing 4runners, gx460s, sequioas, highlander, mdx, etc

seems like the gx460 is hands down the best vehicle to buy amongst my options but i want something newer than 2012 and im not spending a PENNY over 30k

also ill have 2 plus i like Kayaking and Jetskiing so need to be able to roof rack the kayak(s) and tow a jet ski with all the chitren in there

Last edited:
When I envision myself driving a minivan, I don't like what I see

Not sure I can do it

Though I did see someone driving a black Odyssey with tinted windows the other day and thought I didn't look bad

We got an X5 when my first daughter was born so it was a surprise when the twins came. We've been getting by just fine on trips and stuff having three car seats in the back but I've been eyeing that Pilot and Odyssey too. All black with tints doesn't actually sound bad :lol:

Although I was able to drive a Chrysler Pacifica for a couple weeks and it made everything so much more easier, as far as being able to load the babies up and the amount of space for stuff in it. I, too, just struggle with getting past the minivan aesthetic enough, to actually purchase one :lol:

Yeah we are looking at 4runners and Nissan rogues right now...my wife's sentra will not work for our growing family...

Yeah we are looking at 4runners and Nissan rogues right now...my wife's sentra will not work for our growing family...
4Runner 
smokin.gif

we're in the market for a new ride as well. i've been sold on the minivan life for a little while and finally got my wife to come around. for us, it's down to the sienna and odyssey.

their models are a little stale, but it looks like the odyssey is getting a redesign for 2018. saw it at the auto show and it's :pimp:

we're in the market for a new ride as well. i've been sold on the minivan life for a little while and finally got my wife to come around. for us, it's down to the sienna and odyssey.

their models are a little stale, but it looks like the odyssey is getting a redesign for 2018. saw it at the auto show and it's :pimp:

I got a Sienna.

Who wouldn't want something like this.

toyota-sienna-reclining-seats-toyota-sienna-folding-seats-b263cfb7efcb4885.jpg

I traded in my IS350 for a Toyota Tundra before #2 came. The room in my truck is unreal. Probably the best purchase i could have made. My wife and i didn't want a van. We are done having kids so the truck is plenty big for us. My wife drives a 4runner and that also has some good space for both carseats (Britax Marathon and Boulevard). I think most of the problem with space for the carseat is the first couple of years the the kids are backward facing. Once they move to forward facing, it's not that big of a problem.

A few years ago we rented a Highlander on vacation, and i remember it having a ton of space and was smooth. 

All the cars listed are nice options. We have an 14 outback, pretty roomy to be honest

The thing for me is, I may have to get a ride that either has a little bit of mileage or and older one (maybe around 2012 or so?) because we don't want a car payment.

We trying to spend around $17K cash....

After having our second child this past week me and the wife narrowed down our car search to a Pilot. It has 3 row seating which we might never use but it's nice to have. It'll be an upgrade over a Accord and Prius.

If you're gonna murder out a van, might as well murder it all the way out and black out the chrome, get rid of the amber corners, and lose the front plate!

Back
Top Bottom