Official PC thread.

Originally Posted by NICKLE DIME BAY

Well i bought the Lenovo and its really nice im using it now, i installed avg free 2012 already cuz im not paying for the mcaffee yet. Is there anything else you guys recommend to install on a brand new PC?
dont pay for mcaffee ever.
get:
malawarebytes
spybot
cccleaner
&
buy a external hard drive & backup often.
You can use a free program like:
EaseUS Todo Backup

or windows built in backup program

Trying to get some thoughts/suggestions on a possible build:

Asus P8z68 V pro
GTX 580
Crucial m4 128 ssd
1-2x 1TB WD caviar black
Corsair modular 750w
8gb pc12800 ddr3
Hyper 212 evo heatsink

Probably going to be used for gaming. Things I would like some viewpoints on are:
- Is it worth it to wait for Ivy Bridge and get the 2500k equivalent?
- If I go Ivy Bridge do I go z77?
- Is the 580 worth buying for $300-360 or do I make the plunge for the 680 at retail?

Any other suggestions/comments welcome.

Asus P8z68 V pro
GTX 580
Crucial m4 128 ssd
1-2x 1TB WD caviar black
Corsair modular 750w
8gb pc12800 ddr3
Hyper 212 evo heatsink

Probably going to be used for gaming. Things I would like some viewpoints on are:
- Is the 580 worth buying for $300-360 or do I make the plunge for the 680 at retail?

^ Id wait for ivy bridge. Faster performance that sandy bridge for about the same price (supposedly) and the price of the sandy bridge cpus will go down. Plus it gives you some time to see which motherboards have defect issues and which dont.

^ Id wait for ivy bridge. Faster performance that sandy bridge for about the same price (supposedly) and the price of the sandy bridge cpus will go down. Plus it gives you some time to see which motherboards have defect issues and which dont.

Well i bought the Lenovo and its really nice im using it now, i installed avg free 2012 already cuz im not paying for the mcaffee yet. Is there anything else you guys recommend to install on a brand new PC?

Microsoft Security Essentials does the job for me fine. CCleaner is good as well. Used to use Avast!, but it was too annoying, it kept interfering with some games. The Sandbox feature is pretty nice, though.

Microsoft Security Essentials does the job for me fine. CCleaner is good as well. Used to use Avast!, but it was too annoying, it kept interfering with some games. The Sandbox feature is pretty nice, though.

Originally Posted by locpy

Asus P8z68 V pro
GTX 580
Crucial m4 128 ssd
1-2x 1TB WD caviar black
Corsair modular 750w
8gb pc12800 ddr3
Hyper 212 evo heatsink

Pretty good hardware choices there, but I'd wait for Ivy Bridge as well. As for the GPU, I'm really happy with my 680 so far. Got it for as much the 580 goes for over here, so that's
smokin.gif
. Runs cooler and on less power on stock, too, so it is not necessary to replace the stock air cooler.By the way, NVIDIA just released new R300 series beta drivers which I think provides 680-like functionality (FXAA/Adaptive V-Sync) to the rest of the NVIDIA GPU lineup.For the CPU cooler, if you have a large enough case, I'd recommend a 140mm fan one, so it has less noise. Thermalright and Noctua make good, silent ones. But that Noctua color, though.
sick.gif
Want to cop a EVGA GTX 680 backplate and high-flow bracket off EVGA.com, but they don't ship to mail forwarding addresses. Bummer. Found the Bose showroom over here in Singapore. Got to test out the Companion 2 Series II. Sounds fine for me. But I'll be copping from the local store back in Manila, since the minor price difference isn't worth the hassle with warranty, plus I can pay off the local store in installment for 6 months so it gives me more flexibility in my spending.
laugh.gif
Man, you guys are lucky it retails $60 less on Amazon than it does over here.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Thanks for the insight.  I just hate waiting!! I guess that 5-15% performance increase will be worth it though.
Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Pretty good hardware choices there, but I'd wait for Ivy Bridge as well. As for the GPU, I'm really happy with my 680 so far. Got it for as much the 580 goes for over here, so that's
smokin.gif
. Runs cooler and on less power on stock, too, so it is not necessary to replace the stock air cooler.By the way, NVIDIA just released new R300 series beta drivers which I think provides 680-like functionality (FXAA/Adaptive V-Sync) to the rest of the NVIDIA GPU lineup.For the CPU cooler, if you have a large enough case, I'd recommend a 140mm fan one, so it has less noise. Thermalright and Noctua make good, silent ones. But that Noctua color, though.
sick.gif
Want to cop a EVGA GTX 680 backplate and high-flow bracket off EVGA.com, but they don't ship to mail forwarding addresses. Bummer. Found the Bose showroom over here in Singapore. Got to test out the Companion 2 Series II. Sounds fine for me. But I'll be copping from the local store back in Manila, since the minor price difference isn't worth the hassle with warranty, plus I can pay off the local store in installment for 6 months so it gives me more flexibility in my spending.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
I keep hearing good things about the 680... might have to invest.  Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Thanks for the insight.  I just hate waiting!! I guess that 5-15% performance increase will be worth it though.
Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

smokin.gif
sick.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
I keep hearing good things about the 680... might have to invest.  Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Winter Warz

picked up evga x58, h50, i7 920, 6 gb (3x 2GB OCZ) and an X-Fi sound card for 150.

id say i got a steal.
Damn, is that all I can get? I have a similar setup. I want to sell my mobo/cpu/ram combo when I upgrade, but I dont think Ill be going to IB. So probably waiting for Haswell.
By then, it'll be like <$100 
mad.gif
laugh.gif

That's pretty good deal though if the 920 is a D0. OC the beast. Wished mine was a D0.

Originally Posted by Winter Warz

picked up evga x58, h50, i7 920, 6 gb (3x 2GB OCZ) and an X-Fi sound card for 150.

id say i got a steal.
Damn, is that all I can get? I have a similar setup. I want to sell my mobo/cpu/ram combo when I upgrade, but I dont think Ill be going to IB. So probably waiting for Haswell.
By then, it'll be like <$100 
mad.gif
laugh.gif

That's pretty good deal though if the 920 is a D0. OC the beast. Wished mine was a D0.

^^ The 680 is only worth it if you're gonna get it for $499, but I see market prices are jacked up over there like it is over here (in the $600-$680 range).
sick.gif

I only saved about $10 overall than getting one locally after Amazon made me pay taxes and overnight shipping + the fees from my mail forwarder.  
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
 It's all good. At least I don't have to pay $620 up front. Will settle that next month.
smokin.gif

^^ The 680 is only worth it if you're gonna get it for $499, but I see market prices are jacked up over there like it is over here (in the $600-$680 range).
sick.gif

I only saved about $10 overall than getting one locally after Amazon made me pay taxes and overnight shipping + the fees from my mail forwarder.  
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif
 It's all good. At least I don't have to pay $620 up front. Will settle that next month.
smokin.gif

So how much did you pay exactly?
laugh.gif

The 680 came in yesterday. Decided to just pop it in. Pretty sick card.

Runs BF3 ultra everything with msaa 4x @ 2048x1152 pretty smooth. Maybe it could be slightly better.

Probably due to the rest of my 3-generations-ago hardware.

BTW, im slightly disappointed in the patch
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Runs BF3 ultra everything with msaa 4x @ 2048x1152 pretty smooth. Maybe it could be slightly better.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
About $600 give or take a few dollars due to the weird exchange rates by the bank. 
laugh.gif
 Weird though... the Galaxy GTX 680 is going for about $540 here, and the ASUS GTX 680's the pricest, at $675. 
sick.gif

Personally just have it on V-Sync when playing BF3. around 80-85% GPU usage so I save a bit of power. Yeah, the patch messed up most of the guns that I loved to use. And the SKS seems to have gotten one hell of a buff. I've been getting killed time and time again lately with that. 
eyes.gif

Now, my Internet is messed up. Was just getting a good run with the A-10, too. 
indifferent.gif

By the way, bit the bullet and copped the Bose Companion 2 Series II 2.0 speakers earlier right after work. They sound really great so far. Not as good as the Companion 20 or the MusicMonitor 
eek.gif
, but I'm happy with it -especially with it priced one-third as much as the latter 
sick.gif
. Completely craps on my old Logitech 2.1 system.

156579_10150682730233736_593738735_9470662_559270345_n.jpg

Originally Posted by 2g00d4u

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
About $600 give or take a few dollars due to the weird exchange rates by the bank. 
laugh.gif
 Weird though... the Galaxy GTX 680 is going for about $540 here, and the ASUS GTX 680's the pricest, at $675. 
sick.gif

Personally just have it on V-Sync when playing BF3. around 80-85% GPU usage so I save a bit of power. Yeah, the patch messed up most of the guns that I loved to use. And the SKS seems to have gotten one hell of a buff. I've been getting killed time and time again lately with that. 
eyes.gif

Now, my Internet is messed up. Was just getting a good run with the A-10, too. 
indifferent.gif

By the way, bit the bullet and copped the Bose Companion 2 Series II 2.0 speakers earlier right after work. They sound really great so far. Not as good as the Companion 20 or the MusicMonitor 
eek.gif
, but I'm happy with it -especially with it priced one-third as much as the latter 
sick.gif
. Completely craps on my old Logitech 2.1 system.

156579_10150682730233736_593738735_9470662_559270345_n.jpg

laugh.gif
This card is like sold out everywhere here in the US. Thing is selling like hot cakes.

I really think I couldve resold this for $600+. Some people are getting mad out there not being able to get one haha.

Been OCing this card, trying to find a stable OC. Still messing around.

I hate how they messed up the tanks. Really have to change up how I play now. Teamwork is so crucial in keeping the tank alive, but thats even harder now than teaming up to destroy tanks with their glass armor.

Back
Top Bottom