Official PC thread.

Nvm I'm in the sunken place. Picked up the LG 27UD69P earlier on a whim. Guess I'm back to AMD once Vega comes out.

So I'm playing RE7 in 4k, and I got around 85% GPU and 70s CPU, but I only get around 40fps. Knock it down to 1440p and I get 60. What gives?

I mean I do need more 
laugh.gif
 but I at least expected to see a more apparent bottleneck

My pc's loud as hell. It's been like that for probably two months. It's only loud when i'm playing a game. The gpu temp is at 80+ degrees. I use earbuds, so i've ignored it for a while. Specs: i5 6600k/rx 480
i rarely hear good things about AMD cards
laugh.gif

is it just the price ?? is that why people insist on having cards they complain about?
My pc's even louder/hotter now with the 1080ti. 

I thought gaming pcs could be pretty silent with a sound dampening case, but I've accepted the fact that pcs are way louder than consoles.

Pretty big disappointment to me, since I value silence.

I've not looked at the fan speeds, so I can't go in-depth on that.

1080ti msi armor:

Pros:
  • 4k/60fps at very high settings for most games(forza horizon 3, dishonored 2, division, battlefield 4, mad max, just cause 3, middle earth, fallout 4, etc)
  • It came with a 6pin to 2 8pin splitter just in case your psu didn't have 2x8pin. 
Neutral:
  • Seemingly easy to OC, but I've not done it yet. It's already loud as hell, so OCing would just make it worse.
Cons:
  • It's loud as .... to me. I'd have to turn my tv volume up pretty loud to drown out the gpu fans. I use earbuds, so I'm not too bothered by it.
  • Gets up to 81-84 degrees when gaming. I believe that's hotter or equal to my reference rx 480.

I thought gaming pcs could be pretty silent with a sound dampening case, but I've accepted the fact that pcs are way louder than consoles.
[rule]1080ti msi armor:
Pros:
  • 4k/60fps at very high settings for most games(forza horizon 3, dishonored 2, division, battlefield 4, mad max, just cause 3, middle earth, fallout 4, etc)
  • It came with a 6pin to 2 8pin splitter just in case your psu didn't have 2x8pin. 

Neutral:
  • Seemingly easy to OC, but I've not done it yet. It's already loud as hell, so OCing would just make it worse.

Cons:
  • It's loud as .... to me. I'd have to turn my tv volume up pretty loud to drown out the gpu fans. I use earbuds, so I'm not too bothered by it.
  • Gets up to 81-84 degrees when gaming. I believe that's hotter or equal to my reference rx 480.

Gotta get that liquid cooling :pimp:

Don't you have to have a reference 1080ti for waterblocks?

Basially the msi armor 1080ti is pretty much of equal quality to the reference 1080ti, but it's $10 more.
I'm not super knowledgeable on water cooling, but I thought they made different systems for non-reference cards later on

My pc's loud as hell. It's been like that for probably two months. It's only loud when i'm playing a game. The gpu temp is at 80+ degrees. I use earbuds, so i've ignored it for a while. Specs: i5 6600k/rx 480

i rarely hear good things about AMD cards :lol:

is it just the price ?? is that why people insist on having cards they complain about?
[rule]1080ti msi armor:
Pros:

Neutral:

Cons:

I love my 1080 and my office is very quiet. Can it also be attributed to your PC case? :nerd:

Im glad you're enjoying that 1080 ti :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I love my 1080 and my office is very quiet. Can it also be attributed to your PC case?
nerd.gif

Im glad you're enjoying that 1080 ti
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Plenty of other people are having the issue too, according to msi's gpu forum. 

My case has 2 preinstalled fans, but someone else had the same issue(his pc has 8 fans.)

So far it the 1080ti is :pimp:, but it seems like you gotta drop even more $$$ for good cooling cards.

I will never understand the point of streaming and why anyone would want to watch someone else play a video game. The years of watching big bro hog the controller is past me

I will never understand the point of streaming and why anyone would want to watch someone else play a video game. The years of watching big bro hog the controller is past me
Maybe almost two years ago(before I had a pc), I watched various streams of pc games like dayz, counterstrike, etc on my xb1. 

Watching said streams helped me realize that pc exclusives aren't that great.

People stream/watch streams for various reasons: relax, entertainment, fun, learn, socialize, show, provide insight, archive game playthroughs, and complete challenges.

Last edited:
Intel Core i7 7740K and x299 pushed to early June

Intel Core i7 7740K is not just an i7 7700K refresh. This processor requires a new socket (LGA2066) and as a result, new motherboard. It’s also worth adding that one of the most important changes from Kaby Lake S is a lack of integrated GPU. Apart from that, we have 100 MHz higher base clock and increased TDP (91W -> 112W).

xkd1fwrrpu5u.jpg

Intel Core i7 7740K and x299 pushed to early June

Intel Core i7 7740K is not just an i7 7700K refresh. This processor requires a new socket (LGA2066) and as a result, new motherboard. It’s also worth adding that one of the most important changes from Kaby Lake S is a lack of integrated GPU. Apart from that, we have 100 MHz higher base clock and increased TDP (91W -> 112W).

xkd1fwrrpu5u.jpg

An extra 21W for what?

Most watch it for the commentary/reactions.

I prefer recording-editing-uploading over streaming personally. Allows you to get more creative

Last edited:

1080ti msi armor:
It's a 250W TDP card.  With all things being equal, it will run much hotter than your RX480 which was just 150W TDP.  TDP is the measure of heat a component generates.  The MSI Armor isn't a great cooler either.  If noise is a big deal to you, it's worth it to pay a little extra for the better coolers.  You could've had a Gigabyte Aorus for another $10.  Obviously supply isn't good right now but still.

Reviews for Ryzen 5 look pretty good.  Probably the new $/performance king for gaming CPUs over the i5, given the performance with multi-threaded workloads.  There's good competition in the CPU market right now.

I wish cpus/motherboards were more standardized/longlasting. Easily my least favorite part of PC building

Back
Top Bottom