Official PC thread.

It's a 250W TDP card.  With all things being equal, it will run much hotter than your RX480 which was just 150W TDP.  TDP is the measure of heat a component generates.  The MSI Armor isn't a great cooler either.  If noise is a big deal to you, it's worth it to pay a little extra for the better coolers.  You could've had a Gigabyte Aorus for another $10.  Obviously supply isn't good right now but still.
I thought the armor would be pretty better than the FE. I even looked at last year's reviews of the 1080 msi armor vs gaming x. In the end, it wasn't as good of a buy as I thought I'd be, given I'd waited a month for the aftermarket cards. Next time, I'll have to factor in an extra $50-$100 for those truly near silent cards.

For the Win 10 PC I built last month, I used the serial from my old broken HP laptop that I hadn't used in years and had Win 7 pre-installed. It actually worked :lol:

I've read that MS has been really lax with their activation process. Seems to be the case in my case.

Last edited:
Whats up everyone. I'm looking to build my first PC coming from a macbook pro and wanted to get some input on my build. I'll mainly be using it for photo editing (Lightroom/photoshop) but this will be my everyday computer.

I don't game much but I may install GTA on here in the future. I was looking into dual graphics cards but that will be in the future as I've hit my budget without the monitors and accessories. Does anyone here have a water cooler for their cpu? At first I chose the NZTX Kraken x52 but was afraid that over time something may leak and damage other parts of the internals. I plan on having this last me at least 5 years with updating the components.

I will be adding more fans and possibly changing the case. Also need a bluetooth card, cd drive and do I need a sound card or should I be able to hook up the hdmi cable from the display port onto the monitor and have sound?

Any help/insight is appreciated!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2NNFd

If it's mainly just photo editing, slight gaming, that build is a bit overkill IMO.

You probably won't need an aftermarket cooler either if you're not planning on overclocking.

Last edited:
If it's mainly just photo editing, slight gaming, that build is a bit overkill IMO.

You probably won't need an aftermarket cooler either if you're not planning on overclocking.

Might not overclock but I'll still keep it just in case I change my mind later on. I changed the ram to 2666mhz and might go with a 6gb graphics card but since I would like to get a 4k monitor I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do.

That build is way OD for photo editing and light gaming.

B250 motherboard and a non-K i7 which comes with a stock cooler should be plenty. You may want to look into doing a Ryzen 1600 build too. Skip the water cooler and stick to an air cooler if you must go aftermarket.

If you're not gaming much now, just get an 1050ti/RX470/RX480. GPU tech really jumps with each generation. It'd be a waste of money to buy a nice card now when you're not even utilizing it. And then in 2 years, that really nice card is gonna be obsolete when you actually want to start getting into AAA gaming.

Some motherboards come with built in Wifi and BT. Check the specs.

You're gonna have to buy an aftermarket CD drive if you really need it.

Built-in audio should be good enough. If your monitor has built-in speakers, then your displayport should be able to send audio signals to it.

Last edited:
Whats up everyone. I'm looking to build my first PC coming from a macbook pro and wanted to get some input on my build. I'll mainly be using it for photo editing (Lightroom/photoshop) but this will be my everyday computer.

I don't game much but I may install GTA on here in the future. I was looking into dual graphics cards but that will be in the future as I've hit my budget without the monitors and accessories. Does anyone here have a water cooler for their cpu? At first I chose the NZTX Kraken x52 but was afraid that over time something may leak and damage other parts of the internals. I plan on having this last me at least 5 years with updating the components.

I will be adding more fans and possibly changing the case. Also need a bluetooth card, cd drive and do I need a sound card or should I be able to hook up the hdmi cable from the display port onto the monitor and have sound?

Any help/insight is appreciated!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c2NNFd

1080 is overkill

but its what i have :lol:

my build:
http://amzn.to/2oZHda6

B250 motherboard and a non-K i7 which comes with a stock cooler should be plenty. You may want to look into doing a Ryzen 1600 build too. Skip the water cooler and stick to an air cooler if you must go aftermarket.

If you're not gaming much now, just get an 1050ti/RX470/RX480. GPU tech really jumps with each generation. It'd be a waste of money to buy a nice card now when you're not even utilizing it. And then in 2 years, that really nice card is gonna be obsolete when you actually want to start getting into AAA gaming.

Built-in audio should be good enough. If your monitor has built-in speakers, then your displayport should be able to send audio signals to it.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably going to stick with the 7700k because I plan on having this thing for a while so I don't want to have to change the chips down the line. I decided against the 1080 and opted for the 1060 6gb since the price of the 1080 will come down eventually. I'll be fine with the 1060 anyways. Swapped out the water cooler cpu for a hyper 212 that saved me $120 :lol: so I'll stick with that.

Just have to look into specs and fitment for everything and if the cpu cooler doesn't interfere with the ram placement.

Buying an after market cd just to play some dvd's and old cd's lying around but other than that it looks like I'm good! Thanks for your help!

1080 is overkill

my build:

I was going to say lol...do you game? If so what games? Also did you add any extra fans to the tower?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm probably going to stick with the 7700k because I plan on having this thing for a while so I don't want to have to change the chips down the line. I decided against the 1080 and opted for the 1060 6gb since the price of the 1080 will come down eventually. I'll be fine with the 1060 anyways. Swapped out the water cooler cpu for a hyper 212 that saved me $120 :lol: so I'll stick with that.

Just have to look into specs and fitment for everything and if the cpu cooler doesn't interfere with the ram placement.

Buying an after market cd just to play some dvd's and old cd's lying around but other than that it looks like I'm good! Thanks for your help!

1080 is overkill

my build:

I was going to say lol...do you game? If so what games? Also did you add any extra fans to the tower?

I mostly console game.

I have a few games on PC

- Rise of the tomb raider
- Forza Horizon 2
- Gears 4
- Crisis 3
- Battlefield 3, 4 and 1
- Skyrim Remastered

21:9 1440p at 60 FPS is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

No extra fans added to the case. Only added the CPU cooler.

Lightroom does support graphics acceleration though.

1080 is overkill

my build:

You're not gonna need a lot of fans. One in the front and one in the rear should be fine.

djyoung08 djyoung08 Link me to the monitor you have please.

Right here... copped last Aug... never looked back.

LG 34UC88-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor
http://amzn.to/2pdL85h

The IPS display is major key for photo editing.

This is the exact one I've been eyeing. Costco had it on sale for 600 but I didn't do it. My friend is trying to convince me to get two 4k monitors instead...Need to see these in person before making my final decision.

Ordered the 7700k for 320 shipped :smokin Tax blows but whatever.

djyoung08 djyoung08 Link me to the monitor you have please.

Right here... copped last Aug... never looked back.

LG 34UC88-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD IPS Monitor
http://amzn.to/2pdL85h

The IPS display is major key for photo editing.

This is the exact one I've been eyeing. Costco had it on sale for 600 but I didn't do it. My friend is trying to convince me to get two 4k monitors instead...Need to see these in person before making my final decision.

Ordered the 7700k for 320 shipped :smokin Tax blows but whatever.

My wife's setup features a macbook pro plugged into a 4k monitor... its nice af

Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen
http://amzn.to/2oED1Md

I prefer the ultra wide. Both options are extremely nice though.

Every time I see people's setups, there's never speakers on the desk. Are you guys strictly headphone users?

Looks a lot cleaner that way, but I don't think I would like the sound from that. Not an audiophile or anything, but I like stereo imaging of two separate speakers spaced apart.

Looks a lot cleaner that way, but I don't think I would like the sound from that. Not an audiophile or anything, but I like stereo imaging of two separate speakers spaced apart.

I dont mind it.

thats a 34 inch monitor and the sound bar is a little wider than the montior with the speaker drivers on either end of it. :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom