Official PC thread.

Here is my PC/desk setup, I rebuilt it back in March when Ryzen came out.  I mainly use it for school, occasional photo/video editing, and gaming.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 CPU

AMD Wraith Spire RGB CPU Cooler

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard

MSI R9 390 8GB GDDR5 Videocard

G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4 RAM

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (OS)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (Programs)

Pioneer Blu-Ray DVD-Burner

120MM Enermax T.B. Silence Red LED Fans

200MM Thermaltake Color Changing LED Fans

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W Modular PSU

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Full Tower Case

Corsair Gaming Strafe Keyboard

Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Performance Edition Mouse

Tt eSports Dasher Mouse Pad

Vizio 43in M43-C1 4K UHD LED TV

Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

^your review on the Ryzen CPU?
Works great and I've had 0 issues with it at all.  I haven't tried to overclock it or anything crazy, I usually run everything at stock.  It works good for gaming, photoshop, rendering programs and video editing.  I had an FX-8320 prior to this, so it's a huge leap over that.

Alright guys here it is. Friend and I put this thing together last night but for some reason it wouldn't boot up. No POST after we started the computer so nothing would show up on the screen, including the bios. He messed with it some more and I think he took it apart and put it back together. Here's the final product. Desk isn't 100% done yet but close to it. I have a few questions for everyone. My msi graphics card...how do I get the most up to date drivers for it?

Guessing this isn't the site. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/sharky381/saved/ssTcf7

Last edited:
^the link you posted is where you get the driver updates. The drop down menu asked which gou you have. Select 1060. You can set the drivers to auto update, if you don't like manually installing drivers.

^the link you posted is where you get the driver updates. The drop down menu asked which gou you have. Select 1060. You can set the drivers to auto update, if you don't like manually installing drivers.

Thank you I'll have to look up how to set the auto update.

That case looks mad empty. Where's the HDD? Or did you go m.2?

Hard drives are on the back side of the case. This case was meant to be used for watercooling which is why there's so much empty space but since I got a good deal on it I wasn't going to look at others.

Last edited:
Do most of you build your own pcs or buy and then tinker? I did it when I was a teenager and I'm looking to get back in it somewhat.

Do most of you build your own pcs or buy and then tinker? I did it when I was a teenager and I'm looking to get back in it somewhat.

Build it. Loved the process. Debating on whether I wanna sell my parts when I finally upgrade mobo/cpu, or just make a new build

Built mine in 2011.

Since then all I've done was upgrade GPU, more ram, and new CPU cooler.

My 2500k still truckin. I really do want to keep it, might look into a new "old" MOBO so I can OC to 4.5.

Last edited:
I pieced mine together with various deals from Slickdeals or /r/buildapcsales

Wasn't in a REAL rush to get it together, but it's always good to get everything within a month so that you can return an item if something's DOA.

Built it. Hated the process.

Went for a mid-range build, but in less than a year, I upgraded to an enthusiast build.

after I built my pc I used it to look for better components 
laugh.gif
This.

Staying up to date on what's coming out doesn't help either.

What was your process?
Followed the corey holtzman/newegg how to build a pc video.
  • psu shipment got lost>got new psu
  • follow youtube guide on how to install my specific cpu cooler. Guy in vid is doing it wrong. Comments tell me how to do it the right way. This step took like an hour. Had to go to cvs to buy coffee filters/90% isopropal alcohol to clean off the thermal paste.
  • cpu cooler doesn't fit like the tuturial vid shows>find out alternative orientation for cpu cooler fan.
  • Trying to fit everything in there was kinda tight, even though it was a matx case.
  • Lastly, realizing gaming pcs are loud as .... regardless of how sound dampening you try to make it.

Last edited:

Followed the corey holtzman/newegg how to build a pc video.
  • psu shipment got lost>got new psu
  • follow youtube guide on how to install my specific cpu cooler. Guy in vid is doing it wrong. Comments tell me how to do it the right way. This step took like an hour. Had to go to cvs to buy coffee filters/90% isopropal alcohol to clean off the thermal paste.
  • cpu cooler doesn't fit like the tuturial vid shows>find out alternative orientation for cpu cooler fan.
  • Trying to fit everything in there was kinda tight, even though it was a matx case.
  • Lastly, realizing gaming pcs are loud as .... regardless of how sound dampening you try to make it.
I meant your upgrade process 
laugh.gif
 or did you do it all at once?

Repped for potentially helping a reader tho

Last edited:

I meant your upgrade process 
laugh.gif
 or did you do it all at once?

Repped for potentially helping a reader tho
I pretty much did it all at once. I read an article about Forza Horizon 3 being played at 4k, and I was like    towards upgrading to 4k.

Personally, I don't like monitors so I gave my 1440p monitor to my brother. I prefered my 50in 1080p LG tv. 

Upgraded the 1080p tv to a 49in 4k hdr sony x800d.

Copped the armor OC 1080ti since it was the first partner card to drop and I didn't feel like waiting anymore.

Should have got the gaming x.
tired.gif

Upgraded my 520w seasonic psu to the 620w version, when it went on sale.

Added another 1tb seagate.

Now I'm looking for a good wireless keyboard/mouse. 

What is everyone here using to play 4k movies? I'm using VLC but I keep seeing a bunch of junk. Tried two different movies but got the same result. Am I missing a plug-in? Want to take advantage of these 4k monitors lol

Edit: Problem solved.

Last edited:
What is everyone here using to play 4k movies? I'm using VLC but I keep seeing a bunch of junk. Tried two different movies but got the same result. Am I missing a plug-in? Want to take advantage of these 4k monitors lol

Edit: Problem solved.

Never had any issues with VLC. Have my Samsung 4k TV at 60hz, no issues.

Back
Top Bottom