Official PC thread.

[h1] [/h1]
[h1]AMD FX-8150: The Bottom Line [/h1]
12:00 AM - October 12, 2011 by Chris Angelini

http://142

So, let’s say someone puts Core i5-2500K and FX-8150 in front of you. The Core i5 costs $220 bucks, and the FX runs $245. Which one do you buy?

If it’s me, I’m going with the Core i5. I gave the -2500K a Tom’s Hardware Recommended Buy award back in January, and I stick by that recommendation almost a year later.

In the very best-case scenario, when you can throw a ton of work at the FX and fully utilize its eight integer cores, it generally falls in between Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K—which is where it should appear all of the time given a price tag between those two most relevant competitors. Sometimes FX manages to outperform the higher-end -2600K, but other times it’s embarrassingly bested by its predecessor in threaded workloads.

pib.jpg

Toss a single-threaded app at the processor, though, and it underperforms Intel's three-year-old Core i7-920 running at its stock 2.66 GHz. AMD’s architects say they shot to maintain IPC and ramp up clock rate, but something clearly went wrong along the way.

Ironically, consistent, scalable performance is one of the attributes that AMD claims it gets from its Bulldozer module. The issue we see over and over, though, is that it relies on software able to exploit scalability in order to compete. When it doesn’t get what it wants, performance steps back relative to the previous generation. As a result, even though AMD implements a more advanced version of Turbo Core to help improve single-threaded performance, the difference between what you get in lightly- and heavily-threaded applications is anything but consistent.

Link to full review

tired.gif

[h1] [/h1]
[h1]AMD FX-8150: The Bottom Line [/h1]
12:00 AM - October 12, 2011 by Chris Angelini

http://142

So, let’s say someone puts Core i5-2500K and FX-8150 in front of you. The Core i5 costs $220 bucks, and the FX runs $245. Which one do you buy?

If it’s me, I’m going with the Core i5. I gave the -2500K a Tom’s Hardware Recommended Buy award back in January, and I stick by that recommendation almost a year later.

In the very best-case scenario, when you can throw a ton of work at the FX and fully utilize its eight integer cores, it generally falls in between Core i5-2500K and Core i7-2600K—which is where it should appear all of the time given a price tag between those two most relevant competitors. Sometimes FX manages to outperform the higher-end -2600K, but other times it’s embarrassingly bested by its predecessor in threaded workloads.

pib.jpg

Toss a single-threaded app at the processor, though, and it underperforms Intel's three-year-old Core i7-920 running at its stock 2.66 GHz. AMD’s architects say they shot to maintain IPC and ramp up clock rate, but something clearly went wrong along the way.

Ironically, consistent, scalable performance is one of the attributes that AMD claims it gets from its Bulldozer module. The issue we see over and over, though, is that it relies on software able to exploit scalability in order to compete. When it doesn’t get what it wants, performance steps back relative to the previous generation. As a result, even though AMD implements a more advanced version of Turbo Core to help improve single-threaded performance, the difference between what you get in lightly- and heavily-threaded applications is anything but consistent.

Link to full review

tired.gif

The BD is all hype. Decent price to performance but if you had the extra $50 the 2600 is infinitely better. Not to mention Intel's Sandy Bridge chips are going to be outdated in a few months once their Ivy Bridge chipset drops.

The BD is all hype. Decent price to performance but if you had the extra $50 the 2600 is infinitely better. Not to mention Intel's Sandy Bridge chips are going to be outdated in a few months once their Ivy Bridge chipset drops.

Soo disappointed with the BD's performance
30t6p3b.gif
All that wait for pretty much nothing.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Day late and dollar short. I guess AMD should focus on the lower and mid level cpu segments.

Soo disappointed with the BD's performance
30t6p3b.gif
All that wait for pretty much nothing.

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Day late and dollar short. I guess AMD should focus on the lower and mid level cpu segments.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

newegg.com , build your own like a real man.
smokin.gif
 Btw, get a big case.
laugh.gif

Sucks that the new processors will be out soon, but I'm happy so far with my 3-week-old 2600K.

Almost finished with my Cooler Master Elite 430 Case mod. Could've been finished earlier if it hadn't rained. Couldn't paint the side panel and bracket.
ohwell.gif
All I need is to re-route all the wiring after that. Still a bit lazy to do that, though. 
laugh.gif
 Hopefully airflow throughout the case does improve. I reckon my GPU can still be a few degrees cooler on load.

Also, the new Scythe CPU fans and case fan that I ordered from Performance-PCs should be here in the Philippines by early next week. Hopefully USPS comes through and meets my forwarder's cut-off date. Already in NY as of 2am EST. 
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

newegg.com , build your own like a real man.
smokin.gif
 Btw, get a big case.
laugh.gif

Sucks that the new processors will be out soon, but I'm happy so far with my 3-week-old 2600K.

Almost finished with my Cooler Master Elite 430 Case mod. Could've been finished earlier if it hadn't rained. Couldn't paint the side panel and bracket.
ohwell.gif
All I need is to re-route all the wiring after that. Still a bit lazy to do that, though. 
laugh.gif
 Hopefully airflow throughout the case does improve. I reckon my GPU can still be a few degrees cooler on load.

Also, the new Scythe CPU fans and case fan that I ordered from Performance-PCs should be here in the Philippines by early next week. Hopefully USPS comes through and meets my forwarder's cut-off date. Already in NY as of 2am EST. 
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Just copped the Thermaltake eSPORTS Meka G1 and the Corsair Hydro H80 earlier. That was unexpected. It was at a good price, though (similar to NewEgg prices, which is great
smokin.gif
)
laugh.gif
Corsair Hydro H80 earlier
  loud ?

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

Just copped the Thermaltake eSPORTS Meka G1 and the Corsair Hydro H80 earlier. That was unexpected. It was at a good price, though (similar to NewEgg prices, which is great
smokin.gif
)
laugh.gif
Corsair Hydro H80 earlier
  loud ?

Back
Top Bottom