Official PC thread.

Hey guys I got the dreaded "I/O device error message" and im hearing that it means my hard drive is failing. I have 2 year old Asus K50ij with 3 GB of RAM , 320 GB HD, and the crappy intel dual core CPU and GPU it came with. My question is can I just buy a Quad core i7 processor , upgrade to 4 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive , and a ASUS Radeon HD 6670 and install them myself ?

Hey guys I got the dreaded "I/O device error message" and im hearing that it means my hard drive is failing. I have 2 year old Asus K50ij with 3 GB of RAM , 320 GB HD, and the crappy intel dual core CPU and GPU it came with. My question is can I just buy a Quad core i7 processor , upgrade to 4 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive , and a ASUS Radeon HD 6670 and install them myself ?

Originally Posted by zk1MPLS

^ Man, that's a great deal. Got the same Corsair Vengeance 1600... but only 8GB for that price. Good pickup, sir.
smokin.gif

Good to see Ivy Bridge prices are not that bad... My friend's looking to upgrade soon. Still overclocking my 2600K bit-by-bit. Been running it at 4.0GHz for the past 3 weeks. Will set it to 4.2GHz by the weekend.

Heads-up to the NVIDIA dudes on here: new NVIDIA Drivers just came out today. Looks like it's mostly for Skyrim, but I've been reading it helps with Battlefield 3 as well.
Link to the Windows 7 64-bit download: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40607
your doing it wrong 
roll.gif
   you should be at least 4.8

^ Man, that's a great deal. Got the same Corsair Vengeance 1600... but only 8GB for that price. Good pickup, sir.
smokin.gif

Good to see Ivy Bridge prices are not that bad... My friend's looking to upgrade soon. Still overclocking my 2600K bit-by-bit. Been running it at 4.0GHz for the past 3 weeks. Will set it to 4.2GHz by the weekend.

Heads-up to the NVIDIA dudes on here: new NVIDIA Drivers just came out today. Looks like it's mostly for Skyrim, but I've been reading it helps with Battlefield 3 as well.
Link to the Windows 7 64-bit download: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/40607
your doing it wrong 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Cyber Smoke

not sure about the message but if you suspect your drive is failing make sure you backup everything you need onto another drive
You should be able to replace the hard drive & upgrade the ram but you wouldn't be able to put an i7 or a new graphics card inside of it. You'll have to get a new laptop.

not sure about the message but if you suspect your drive is failing make sure you backup everything you need onto another drive
You should be able to replace the hard drive & upgrade the ram but you wouldn't be able to put an i7 or a new graphics card inside of it. You'll have to get a new laptop.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

Okay thanks. I'm probably just gonna cop one of those custom built desktops from newegg with the i7. Another question tho my laptop didn't come with the windows 7 disc it was already installed how can i go about installing windows 7 on the new HD without having the disc ?

Okay thanks. I'm probably just gonna cop one of those custom built desktops from newegg with the i7. Another question tho my laptop didn't come with the windows 7 disc it was already installed how can i go about installing windows 7 on the new HD without having the disc ?

Make sure your laptop still has the product activation key on the bottom
Download the version of Windows 7 you need from here: Link
Either burn the .iso to a dvd or make a bootable usb ( you could use a program like win2flash or windows 7 usb tool )
Don't forget to get all the drivers you'll need for your laptop first: Link

Make sure your laptop still has the product activation key on the bottom
Download the version of Windows 7 you need from here: Link
Either burn the .iso to a dvd or make a bootable usb ( you could use a program like win2flash or windows 7 usb tool )
Don't forget to get all the drivers you'll need for your laptop first: Link

thought it's post a pic of my pc and mac set ups.

mac side:
14t4v1l.jpg

custom wood wrist rest. 60% Poker X keyboard with 2 sets of keycaps and custom anodized aluminum red shell. CST L-Trac X trackball (finally got one!)

my gaming rig set up:
xf98a0.jpg

Griffin PowerMate controller (for volume, track skipping and so on). Filco Tenkeyless w/ MX Blue (clicky) switches, black doubleshot keycaps with certain keys in white (they spell out demik fk90, demik = gaming name, fk90 = clan, which is an inside joke). and finally, my logitech G9x on a rocketfish dual sided hard mousepad.

just waiting on my wrist rest for that keyboard and headphone stand for my ath ad700 headphones (both custom made to same woods as my smaller keyboard wrist rest)

this is where my money goes now, instead of sneakers. input devices
30t6p3b.gif

mac side:
14t4v1l.jpg

custom wood wrist rest. 60% Poker X keyboard with 2 sets of keycaps and custom anodized aluminum red shell. CST L-Trac X trackball (finally got one!)

my gaming rig set up:
xf98a0.jpg

Griffin PowerMate controller (for volume, track skipping and so on). Filco Tenkeyless w/ MX Blue (clicky) switches, black doubleshot keycaps with certain keys in white (they spell out demik fk90, demik = gaming name, fk90 = clan, which is an inside joke). and finally, my logitech G9x on a rocketfish dual sided hard mousepad.

just waiting on my wrist rest for that keyboard and headphone stand for my ath ad700 headphones (both custom made to same woods as my smaller keyboard wrist rest)

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by sladewilson

smokin.gif

your doing it wrong 
roll.gif
Yeah, I know. Just taking the slow route.
laugh.gif
Have it up to 4.6GHz now at 1.36v. Will have it break the 5.0GHz barrier soon enough.
smokin.gif

Tried OC'ing my GTX560 Ti but it's struggling at 940MHz from 822MHz. From what I've read most get up to 950MHz (and even 1000 MHz) with little problems.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by sladewilson

smokin.gif

your doing it wrong 
roll.gif
Yeah, I know. Just taking the slow route.
laugh.gif
Have it up to 4.6GHz now at 1.36v. Will have it break the 5.0GHz barrier soon enough.
smokin.gif

Tried OC'ing my GTX560 Ti but it's struggling at 940MHz from 822MHz. From what I've read most get up to 950MHz (and even 1000 MHz) with little problems.
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

mac side:
14t4v1l.jpg

my gaming rig set up:
xf98a0.jpg

30t6p3b.gif
Damn. Keyboard elitist is right!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Nice trackball mouse, too.

Well, since I posted my Desktop a few pages back... here are the input devices I currently use.
386996_10150384830403736_593738735_8458823_1622458563_n.jpg

• Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Meka G1 Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry Mx Black keys. (really durable keyboard, all I can say).
  • CM Storm Sentinel ZERO-G 5400dpi Twin Laser mouse (hooked up to one of the G1's USB ports -no input lag so far) + a free CM Storm HS2 mousepad.
  • Astro Gaming A40 Wireless Audio System + Wireless MixAmp 5.8
  • PS3 DualShock3 controller which I use with MotioninJoy driver to play FIFA12 / NBA2K12 with. Would've been a waste to buy an XBOX360 controller for PC.
    laugh.gif
All on top of the first table that I built myself. Stepped my carpentry game up.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
You can't see it clearly in that first pic, but that table is supposed to be shiny. Haha
399943_10150461004418736_593738735_8719804_1113658947_n.jpg

Originally Posted by CWrite78

mac side:
14t4v1l.jpg

my gaming rig set up:
xf98a0.jpg

30t6p3b.gif
Damn. Keyboard elitist is right!
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
Nice trackball mouse, too.

Well, since I posted my Desktop a few pages back... here are the input devices I currently use.
386996_10150384830403736_593738735_8458823_1622458563_n.jpg

• Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS Meka G1 Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry Mx Black keys. (really durable keyboard, all I can say).
  • CM Storm Sentinel ZERO-G 5400dpi Twin Laser mouse (hooked up to one of the G1's USB ports -no input lag so far) + a free CM Storm HS2 mousepad.
  • Astro Gaming A40 Wireless Audio System + Wireless MixAmp 5.8
  • PS3 DualShock3 controller which I use with MotioninJoy driver to play FIFA12 / NBA2K12 with. Would've been a waste to buy an XBOX360 controller for PC.
    laugh.gif
All on top of the first table that I built myself. Stepped my carpentry game up.
laugh.gif
grin.gif
You can't see it clearly in that first pic, but that table is supposed to be shiny. Haha
399943_10150461004418736_593738735_8719804_1113658947_n.jpg

Intel launches warranty to replace your blown, overclocked CPUs
Comment | Print | Email to a Friend | Font Size: A ABy: Anthony Garreffa (more) | CPU, APU & Chipsets News | Posted: 6 hours, 8 mins ago

Overclocking kills chips, we all know it does. It's never happened to me, because I'm l337, y0. But, it can happen and if it does, under Intel's new protection plan, you'll actually be covered. Intel already have a standard three-year warranty on its processors, but are now launching a new initiative aimed at protecting those who feel the need, the need for speed.

Intel call it the Performance Tuning Protection Plan, which gives you a free replacement CPU if you burn or blow yours up. It has started at four resellers today: CyberPower, Scan Computers, Altech Computers as well as Canada Computers and Electronics. The service is offered exclusively for K, X, and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors, with prices varying dependant on the chip.

For the i5-2500K, i7-2600K, i7-2700K, i7-3920K, and i7-3960X, it will cost you $20, $25, $25, $35, and $35, respectively. Not bad considering those chips are worth either hundreds, or over $1000 (in some countries). There are conditions, though. Intel only cover the chip for one replacement, and the failure must happen within its standard three-year warranty. You cannot rebuy the plan for the replacement chip, and you cannot buy several plans for a new processor.

This is just a "pilot" program launched by Intel, and runs for six months. Intel could choose to continue it afterwards, or cut it. Intel have said:

The enthusiast community is a critical market segment for Intel and, as such, when the opportunity arises to try out a service or otherwise address the community's particular needs, we endeavor to do so where practicable. If [your chip] fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.

That's some pretty damn amazing service from Intel, I must say.
pimp.gif

Intel launches warranty to replace your blown, overclocked CPUs
Comment | Print | Email to a Friend | Font Size: A ABy: Anthony Garreffa (more) | CPU, APU & Chipsets News | Posted: 6 hours, 8 mins ago

Overclocking kills chips, we all know it does. It's never happened to me, because I'm l337, y0. But, it can happen and if it does, under Intel's new protection plan, you'll actually be covered. Intel already have a standard three-year warranty on its processors, but are now launching a new initiative aimed at protecting those who feel the need, the need for speed.

Intel call it the Performance Tuning Protection Plan, which gives you a free replacement CPU if you burn or blow yours up. It has started at four resellers today: CyberPower, Scan Computers, Altech Computers as well as Canada Computers and Electronics. The service is offered exclusively for K, X, and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors, with prices varying dependant on the chip.

For the i5-2500K, i7-2600K, i7-2700K, i7-3920K, and i7-3960X, it will cost you $20, $25, $25, $35, and $35, respectively. Not bad considering those chips are worth either hundreds, or over $1000 (in some countries). There are conditions, though. Intel only cover the chip for one replacement, and the failure must happen within its standard three-year warranty. You cannot rebuy the plan for the replacement chip, and you cannot buy several plans for a new processor.

This is just a "pilot" program launched by Intel, and runs for six months. Intel could choose to continue it afterwards, or cut it. Intel have said:

The enthusiast community is a critical market segment for Intel and, as such, when the opportunity arises to try out a service or otherwise address the community's particular needs, we endeavor to do so where practicable. If [your chip] fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back.

That's some pretty damn amazing service from Intel, I must say.
pimp.gif

That free mouse pad I got with the CM Storm Sentinel mouse isn't really holding up that nice now. Which one to get: a hard or soft mousepad?
nerd.gif

That free mouse pad I got with the CM Storm Sentinel mouse isn't really holding up that nice now. Which one to get: a hard or soft mousepad?
nerd.gif

i never fried my cpu before and I have overclocked for nearly a decade

with good cooling and moderate voltage adjustment you will be ok

the motherboard is more likely to go bad from overclocking than the cpu

i never fried my cpu before and I have overclocked for nearly a decade

with good cooling and moderate voltage adjustment you will be ok

the motherboard is more likely to go bad from overclocking than the cpu

nerd.gif
What games do you play?
Most pro-players play with soft mousepads. The soft ones are better with low senses, "big, black and thick". 

Prob I will always use a big soft mousepad, atm using the Ulti-Mat X3. I have 1 X4 in the closet tho.. 2big for me cus I'm not gaming anymore.

I don't know any reasons to buy a hard mousepad.. /feelsweirdman

nerd.gif
What games do you play?
Most pro-players play with soft mousepads. The soft ones are better with low senses, "big, black and thick". 

Prob I will always use a big soft mousepad, atm using the Ulti-Mat X3. I have 1 X4 in the closet tho.. 2big for me cus I'm not gaming anymore.

I don't know any reasons to buy a hard mousepad.. /feelsweirdman

usually all depends on your mouse sensor. some play better with hard and some play better with soft.

Damn. Keyboard elitist is right! Nice trackball mouse, too.

i just dropped 4 bills on a custom keyboard that im not suppose to have
nerd.gif

modded switches, full aluminum body, hard to come by keycap set.

so much win. but my pockets are hurting
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom