***OFFICIAL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES 2011 SEASON THREAD***

Unless your team is a legitimate Superbowl contender, don't come into this thread trolling the Eagles for having a pathetic start. Dudes that are fans of 2-2, 3-2 teams coming in here puffing their chests because their team is above .500 after 5 games. I've accepted the Eagles aren't a Superbowl team this season (don't have that killer mindset or the focus necessary) but going forward, this team has a brighter future than 99% of the teams these trolls try to rep in this thread

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

can someone remind me of when the cowboys' won their second game last year?

since this is an eagles' thread and all

these next 3 weeks (2 games) makes or breaks everything.. our room for error is gone.. i doubt we make it at 9-7.. soo we have 11 games left and can only lose 2 MAYBE 3 more
Can somebody take a guess when the Eagles will win their second game this year?

Anytime you need to hope for everyone in your division to lose, it's not a good situation. 

Originally Posted by cguy610

can someone remind me of when the cowboys' won their second game last year?

since this is an eagles' thread and all

these next 3 weeks (2 games) makes or breaks everything.. our room for error is gone.. i doubt we make it at 9-7.. soo we have 11 games left and can only lose 2 MAYBE 3 more
Can somebody take a guess when the Eagles will win their second game this year?

Anytime you need to hope for everyone in your division to lose, it's not a good situation. 

No #+@* sherlock.

^ man we have the personnel to do it.. but after soo many years with reid.. and just seeing the level of stupidity with juan on d.. i'm ready for the whole group to go

considering we dont run the ball, look at these stats:

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Eagles have 828 rushing yards -- most after five games by a team with one or fewer wins since the 1978 Chiefs.

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Eagles are first team to average 5.9 yards per carry or higher through 5 games and be 1-4 or worse since 1951.

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
If Eagles stopped turning the ball over, they might score 50 a game. Really. They are piling up ridiculous yardage totals.

^
sick.gif

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Eagles averaging 446 yards per game -- eighth-most yards in NFL history through 5 games. Most ever by a 1-4 team.

The numbers posted are just TERRIBLE. We have NOOO excuses man. This pisses me off so damn much because WE HAVE THE TEAM to make things happen, but we aren't executing at all.
30t6p3b.gif

Not over yet but the window is closing really quickly. The one good thing is that the Giants lost today as well.
We lose next Sunday vs the ********, I need to see people getting the boot.

at least this is on/from the eagles website.. troubling that it took 4 and half games to realize this:

link: http://www.philadelphiaea...4-46e3-83eb-e417179794ab

ON DEFENSE ...

Whatever adjustment the Eagles made late in the game against Buffalo -- and from my vantage point it appeared the cornerbacks came up to the line of scrimmage and the safeties played more in the box -- the Eagles seemed more aggressive and confident and fast on defense. It is time, then, to make this change: Take away the running game. Commit to stopping the run and to slowing the screens and all of the dink-and-dunk stuff that is leading to big gains and back-breaking plays for the defense.

The Eagles' strengths on defense are 1) Their ability to cover wide receivers down the field, and 2) Their pass rush. So play to the strengths, then. Put eight men in the box. Dial up some run blitzes. Make quarterbacks throw down the field, in the face of an aggressive pass rush and against a group of cornerbacks that covers as well as any group in the league.

This defense is giving up big plays, but they aren't giving up big plays in the passing game down the field. Heck, Ryan Fitzpatrick threw one or two deep balls on Sunday -- one along the sidelines with Asante Samuel in coverage and one that Samuel broke up 20 yards down the field -- and instead lived on short passes and screens and shovels. When the Eagles use their cornerbacks in "off" coverage, lined up 7-8 yards off the line of scrimmage, receivers are running slants and crossing routes and then breaking tackles and ending up with big plays.

Here's an example: Buffalo wide receiver Naaman Roosevelt had all of one catch for 28 yards in four games prior to Sunday. Pressed into action because of an injury to Donald Jones, Roosevelt responded with 5 receptions for 41 yards, including a critical 20-yard catch and run in the fourth quarter. On that play, a first and 15 from the Buffalo 5-yard line, Roosevelt lined up on the right side of the formation with Samuel in off coverage, seven yards off the line of scrimmage. Roosevelt ran 5 yards and then slanted. Samuel broke, too, but instead of covering Roosevelt, Samuel broke into the flat to cover tight end Scott Chandler, who was being chased by linebacker Jamar Chaney.

Fitzgerald threw to Roosevelt, who bounced off of safety Jarrad Page, got to the sidelines and gained 20 yards. The Bills, instead of being backed deep into their territory clinging to a 7-point lead, ran nearly 4 minutes off the clock and punted from their 43-yard line. The Eagles got the ball back at their 20-yard line with 5:39 remaining in the game and you know what happened after that.

A couple of questions here: Why would the Eagles give a receiver like Roosevelt any space at all at the line of scrimmage? Why not challenge him on every play and dare him to get off of press coverage? Why not try to disrupt the timing and precision of a route rather than let him make a catch and then force the defense to make a tackle in the open field?

It's time to go all out on defense. Put the cornerbacks at the line of scrimmage, up in receivers' faces. Do you think Washington is coming into Sunday's game intent on challenging Samuel and Nnamdi Asomugha and the Eagles' cornerbacks down the field? I don't. I think Washington is going to try to run the football, as every team has done on the Eagles. I think the ******** are going to throw screen passes, as every team has done against the Eagles. I think the ******** are going to play conservative football to minimize the pass rush this team can generate. Rex Grossman is going to get the football out of his hands quickly.

I understand that this is a simplistic and probably unreasonable approach to playing defense. But my point is this: The Eagles have to go for it on defense. They have to make something happen. They have to take risks, as they did late in Sunday's game at Buffalo.

The Eagles must stop the running game, first and foremost. They must load the box, pinch the edges and tackle a whole heckuva lot better than they have tackled through five games. They have to establish a tempo and an attitude on defense and not be content with giving a receiver a cushion to catch the ball and rely on a struggling tackling team to make a tackle.

Go after the offense. Is there a risk here? Yes, the Eagles open themselves up to some big plays, but they are giving up big plays in handfuls now.

The formula here is to increase the pressure with run blitzes and to stack the line of scrimmage to take away the running game. The Eagles rank 30th in the NFL against the run. Doesn't that say it all? The Eagles must commit to the running game by putting their coverage people out on an island. It puts a lot of responsibility on the cornerbacks, true, but isn't that what acquiring Asomugha and trading for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie was all about, anyway?

That post above is just telling us what we knew since week one. But from philly.com, Reid said the wide 9 is staying 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

man i broke a laptop key(right arrow poped back on) yesterday when we blew it on the last play... had my gf
30t6p3b.gif
'ing me the res tof the day
laugh.gif

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Eagles have 828 rushing yards -- most after five games by a team with one or fewer wins since the 1978 Chiefs.

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
Eagles are first team to average 5.9 yards per carry or higher through 5 games and be 1-4 or worse since 1951.

RoobCSN Reuben Frank
If Eagles stopped turning the ball over, they might score 50 a game. Really. They are piling up ridiculous yardage totals.

eek.gif
eyes.gif

30t6p3b.gif
i'll trade all that in for some W's

also.. another reason juan has no clue what the hell he is doing..

teams can easily manipulate our secondary by simply motioning the receiver AND VOILA asante is our safety.. read that again

ASANTE "I'M MAKING A BUSINESS DECISION EVERY TIME I TACKLE" SAMUEL becomes our safety

indifferent.gif

I've never seen a team beat themselves like the Eagles had they should really be 5-0 right now or 4-1 worst case; I'm just speechless

Chris Mortensen was on Monday Night Countdown reporting that we are considering bringing in a defensive consultant to help out Juan

Originally Posted by lakersreppa008

That post above is just telling us what we knew since week one. But from philly.com, Reid said the wide 9 is staying 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by lakersreppa008

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

*facepalm*

This team is way too good to be 1-4 right now.  Next week is must win, no if, ands, buts, no exceptions.  Period. 

Originally Posted by mrarmageddon

Chris Mortensen was on Monday Night Countdown reporting that we are considering bringing in a defensive consultant to help out Juan
You sir are correct. Bleeding Green Nation also put it up.
ESPN's Chris Mortenson is reporting that Andy Reid and the Eagles front office are considering bringing in a "consultant" to review the Eagles defense during the bye two weeks from now. He had no word on who it might be.

Obviously anything that could potentially help would be welcome, but I question why they would bother waiting until the bye? You risk being 1-5 at that point. Now, to be fair, it's not likely the consultant would have much effect being brought in 4 or 5 days before this weekend's game, but at the very least you could have them taking an early look.

If true, this does show some desperation on the Eagles part, which is absolutely a good thing. They should be desperate. They should be inventing ways to try and fix this disaster. The Eagles are currently giving up the 5th most points per game in the league.

What potential names might you be interested in for potential consultants? Tommy Lawlor floated the namesof Chuck Cecil and Greg Blatche.

The game against the 49ers was a must win if the team wanted to have as good of a record as we all expected. The game against the Bills was a must win if the Eagles wanted a good chance at the playoffs. Now, this game against the Skins is a must win if the team wants ANY chance at the playoffs. I refuse to be unrealistically optimistic that if they lose Sunday they'll go on a 10 game win streak. This isn't Madden

http://www.philly.com/phi...ts/eagles/131498013.html

So Reid got one of the great instructors of the wide nine - defensive line coach Jim Washburn. Luring Washburn away from Tennessee was the first coaching hire Reid made after he fired Sean McDermott as his defensive coordinator.

It was a peculiar move. A new coordinator would surely want to bring in his own people and implement his own scheme even if Washburn is considered one of the best in the business.

What probably happened as the Eagles defensive coordinator search turned farcical was that interviewed candidates balked at the idea of coming aboard with the stipulation that the wide nine would be used here - take it or leave it. There aren't many coaches that use it, although it has been around in one form or other for many years.

So that left Juan Castillo. And, well, Castillo would do whatever Reid and Washburn wanted. He was an offensive line coach wishing to become a defensive coordinator. Castillo would have agreed to the wide nineteen.

What confuses me is the effectiveness of the wide 9 scheme. If Andy Reid brought in Washburn to teach and run the wide 9 with this defense then obviously it has been successful in the past and yet it looks terrible with this defense. I don't know if its the personal or the execution but whatever it is isn't working.

Its been stated before but I think they can still use the wide 9 in obvious passing situations (3rd and long, occasionally on first down) but using every down is just incredibly stupid
30t6p3b.gif

problem is.. we don't have the personnel to do it.. i did the whole write up in the week in review thread..

but we basically set a whole bunch of ppl up to fail by not playing to their strengths.. aside from babin and asante

Back
Top Bottom