***Official Political Discussion Thread***

The Democratic Party’s approach to legislative strategy has fundamentally changed.
To appreciate the concrete significance of the ARP for ordinary Americans — and, by extension, the significance of having 50 Democratic votes in the Senate versus 49 — here are a few of the ways life in the U.S. is about to change as a result of a unified Democratic government coming to power:

• The average household in the bottom quintile of America’s economic ladder will see its annual income rise by more than 20 percent.

• A family of four with one working parent and one unemployed one will have $12,460 more in government benefits to help them make ends meet.

• The poorest single mothers in America will receive at least $3,000 more per child in government support, along with $1,400 for themselves and additional funds for nutritional assistance and rental aid.

• Child poverty in the U.S. will drop by half.

• More than 1 million unionized workers who were poised to lose their pensions will now receive 100 percent of their promised retirement benefits for at least the next 30 years.

• America’s Indigenous communities will receive $31.2 billion in aid, the largest investment the federal government has ever made in the country’s Native people.

• Black farmers will receive $5 billion in recompense for a century of discrimination and dispossession, a miniature reparation that will have huge consequences for individual African-American agriculturalists, many of whom will escape from debt and retain their land as a direct result of the legislation.

• The large majority of Americans who earn less than $75,000 as individuals or less than $150,000 as couples will receive a $1,400 stimulus check for themselves and another for each child or adult dependent in their care.

• America’s child-care centers will not go into bankruptcy en masse, thanks to a $39 billion investment in the nation’s care infrastructure.

• Virtually all states and municipalities in America will exit the pandemic in better fiscal health than pre-COVID, which is to say a great many layoffs of public employees and cutbacks in public services will be averted.

• No one in the United States will have to devote more than 8.5 percent of their income to paying for health insurance for at least the next two years, while ACA plans will become premium-free for a large number of low-income workers.

• America’s unemployed will not see their federal benefits lapse this weekend and will have an extra $300 to spend every week through the first week in September.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/202...-bill-stimulus-checks-biden-progressives.html

I need someone to remind me how the Dems hate poor people, are hostile to workers, and never want to do anything for minorities

Reading this stimulus plan keeps making me forget those facts.

Last edited:
My secretary started crying when I broke down how much families would be getting in child assistance because it would really help her adult daughter out

Even temporary, this **** is gonna have a big impact on people's lives

I always maintain that condemning people to poverty is an act of violence. The fact we do it to so many children is extra vile.

This is nowhere near sufficient to fight poverty in America, but at least the country finally took another step in the right direction.

Last edited:
My secretary started crying when I broke down how much families would be getting in child assistance because it would really help her daughter out

Even temporary, this **** is gonna have a big impact on people's lives

I always maintain that condemning people to poverty is an act of violence. The fact we do it to so many children is extra vile.

This is nowhere near sufficient to fight poverty in America, but at least the country finally took another step in the right direction.

I can almost guarantee the child tax credit increase/monthly refund will be made permanent. If democrats are smart they just put this out there in a separate standalone bill and make republicans vote against tax cuts for the poor/working/middle class. I have a hard time seeing this foray into mini-UBI not being widely popular if democrats can find a way to pay for most of it

I can almost guarantee the child tax credit increase/monthly refund will be made permanent. If democrats are smart they just put this out there in a separate standalone bill and make republicans vote against tax cuts for the poor/working/middle class. I have a hard time seeing this foray into mini-UBI not being widely popular if democrats can find a way to pay for most of it
I'm still trying to clarify this. Will there be a monthly payment or is the credit when I file my 2021 taxes?

Back
Top Bottom