***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Adams is trying to clean up the part of the speech that got attention but the other part was probably worst

He was complaining about people not being made to comeback into the office sooner in the middle of a massive surge of Covid. If I'm someone thankful I am not being forced to come to the office, and I heard the mayor say I'm not doing my part to help the city, that would probably piss me off.

I don't see how someone can call that good political instincts.

Adams is trying to clean up the part of the speech that got attention but the other part was probably worst

He was complaining about people not being made to comeback into the office sooner in the middle of a massive surge of Covid. If I'm someone thankful I am not being forced to come to the office, and I heard the mayor say I'm not doing my part to help the city, that would probably piss me off.

I don't see how someone can call that good political instincts.

this kind of scolding of pro lockdown college educated knowledge workers might play to his political benefit.

I think there is a lockdown weary majority who wants to see a mayor fighting hard
for the city to reopen, schools to stay open and for things to go back to normal.

Krystal Ball is this new genre of "progressive" getting rich off of being the lefty who hates the democratic party.

So much so they spend 99% percent of their time reaching for any opportunity to criticize democrats

So they sound essentially indistinguishable from Republicans attack ads.

I don’t know anything about her, just came up on my feed. Probably because I’m always looking up worker related news.

Idk why her parents named her that. Wtf man. :lol:

this kind of scolding of pro lockdown college educated knowledge workers might play to his political benefit.

I think there is a lockdown weary majority who wants to see a mayor fighting hard
for the city to reopen, schools to stay open and for things to go back to normal.
Political benefit how?

To survive a primary in 4 years? To get back the Asian voters that didn't want him and did turn out?

Dude is in a deep blue city. I don't see how scolding people who don't want to be forced back into the office earlier is some great political play.

And I don't see how someone not wanting to go back to the office makes them pro lockdown anyway

Or is it good politics because you see someone antagonizing people that might have college degrees so you interrupt that as it must be good.

I don’t know anything about her, just came up on my feed. Probably because I’m always looking up worker related news.

Idk why her parents named her that. Wtf man. :lol:

she's kinda like a "pick me" progressive.

all her takes reek of "please like me conservatives I hate democrats too!!!" :lol:

Political benefit how?

To survive a primary in 4 years? To get back the Asian voters that didn't want him and did turn out?

Dude is in a deep blue city. I don't see how scolding people who don't want to be forced back into the office earlier is some great political play.

I think doing and saying things your base likes and that the majority of the voters like is to your political benefit.

And I don't see how someone not wanting to go back to the office makes them pro lockdown anyway

By pro lock down I just mean people who are still being hyper cautious about covid,
I think they are a loud minority, and most people would like to see the mayor forcefully supporting normalization, and keep schools open.

I could be wrong but that's my read on things.

I think doing and saying things your base likes and that the majority of the voters like is to your political benefit.

By pro lock down I just mean people who are still being hyper cautious about covid,
I think they are a loud minority, and most people would like to see the mayor forcefully supporting normalization, and keep schools open.

I could be wrong but that's my read on things.
A good chunk of the Dem voting base in NYC are college educated white collar workers. So now "do things your base likes" now involves antagonizing part of your base?

Then say what you mean. Calling someone pro lockdown really suggest someone stronger than people who don't want to be forced back to the office early. We are in the middle of the biggest surge of the pandemic. I just don't see it is smart at this time to imply that people who want to work from home are somehow unreasonable.

A good chunk of the Dem voting base in NYC are college educated white collar workers. So now "do things your base likes" now involves antagonizing part of your base?

Then say what you mean. Calling someone pro lockdown really suggest someone stronger than people who don't want to be forced back to the office early. We are in the middle of the biggest surge of the pandemic. I just don't see it is smart at this time to imply that people who want to work from home are somehow unreasonable.

Eric Adams base from what I can tell is more blue collar black and latino democrats.
so while yes college educated knowledge workers are traditionally part of the democratic base,
Eric Adams positioned himself as more populist working class guy.

so I think it works for his political brand to say

"you fancy office workers should go back to the office,
blue collar meat packers, delivery people, retail workers ect are going to work to make this city function, "
you should do the same."

on the merits I can agree its prob not helpful to the situation
but in terms of pure politics that seems like an attractive message for a working class type populist democrat.

but like i said, I could be wrong.

1641411858450.png

Lori Lightfoot going with the "**** them teachers" messaging I think is prob good for her also.
I think most people even in big liberal cities are done with these lock downs and school closures.

and barring a new variant that is significantly more deadly,
politically it's prob to your benefit to strongly on the side of normalcy.

Eric Adams base from what I can tell is more blue collar black and latino democrats.
so while yes college educated knowledge workers are traditionally part of the democratic base,
Eric Adams positioned himself as more populist working class guy.

so I think it works for his political brand to say

"you fancy office workers should go back to the office,
blue collar meat packers, delivery people, retail workers ect are going to work to make this city function, "
you should do the same."

on the merits I can agree its prob not helpful to the situation
but in terms of pure politics that seems like an attractive message for a working class type populist democrat.

but like i said, I could be wrong.
Ok, so plays well with his base, so it can help him survive a primary challenger in 3.5 years

Still not seeing the major political upside to this

Obviously, I totally disagree with Eric Adam’s’ take on labor markets and wages. Dude sounds like a stereotypical Reddit poster talking as if life is an MMORPG game and low wage, precarious workers should just level up their XP and then magically we can have an economy where everyone has a job as a programmer.

Where I am sympathetic is on the constraints faced by State and Local officials. Only the Federal government can effectively deal with COVID, both mitigating the spread of disease and dealing with the economic fallout.

Even the biggest city in America is pretty powerless, especially on the fiscal side. New York City can’t print money. It has more or less balance its books and as work from home has moved a good deal of taxable economic to New Jersey or to other cities in New York State, New York City has less money to spend.

With Washington signaling that cities, States, and individuals are on their own now, the only option that mayors have is to tell everyone to get back to work and please wear a mask.

My health system’s main campus has 120 pts hospitalized with Covid, only 6 are vaccinated. I’m sure those numbers are similar across the country. Man wilding.

Teachers gonna strike.

Adams said those people weren’t smart enough for corner offices. Now, he was one of them. The soundbites coming out of New York are gonna be hilarious.

1641411858450.png

Lori Lightfoot going with the "**** them teachers" messaging I think is prob good for her also.
I think most people even in big liberal cities are done with these lock downs and school closures.

and barring a new variant that is significantly more deadly,
politically it's prob to your benefit to strongly on the side of normalcy.
I didn't want to say anything but I knew you were gonna bring up the teacher's strike in Chicago.

Famb, do you really care about the political consequences for mayors in deep blue cities or are you just bringing this stuff up to provide a vehicle by which you can push your takes regarding the politics in purple states?

Because at the end of the day, I think that is really what is going on here.

Garland needs to end this by calling a list of names and telling them to expect to be subpoenaed.

I live in NYC. There are a few things that I have observed.

1) in general being the mayor is a thankless job and no one likes you. They tolerate you. Usually the resentment bubbles to the surface right before your last term is over and you are unceremoniously kicked outZ

2) Getting elected Mayor of NYC isn’t usually because you have a strong base. At least this is what I’ve seen since Giuliani. Adam’s sort of broke that mold

Giuliani got elected on a anti-crime platform
Bloomberg got elected on rebuilding NYC after 9/11
De Blasio got elected because of his strong stance on ending stop and frisk and helping NYers by improving social services

Adam’s recently got elected based on the fact that he was a strong political insider who got a lot of local endorsement. Most people just know that he said “what was really wrong with NYC”. Keep in mind all the candidates said that. Basically he was the most vocal and least tone deaf of the candidates (aka not yang) that people knew. He’s been getting support for years and as far as getting the Democratic machine behind him, he’s done it better than any mayor I can remember.

Which makes sense. There were a ton of candidates and all of them were saying they would fix crime and get the city going again. A lot of people voted for Adam’s because the politicians they did know supported him.

It’s anecdotal but I spoke to people recently who are only now getting a sense of who Adam’s and their not impressed. Adam’s has always put his foot in his mouth during speeches. He has been saying stupid stuff for decades but that is who he is. There is a boldness to it that has served him politically and just like the past he’ll apologize and backtrack if he has too. He is also pro business, and pro his donors. He’s known to keep his word if he makes a promise. Which for everyone with access to ask him a favor makes him really popular and reliable. Honestly I said it before and I’ll say it again. He has more in common with Ed Koch and De Blasio than he has in common with Dinkins and Giuliani who are the mayors he is normally compared too for superficial reasons.

I expect that if things go wrong he’ll ease up his pro business stance, but he’s going to try and force it because he told his business donors that is what he will do. A lot of what he is doing is going to have him run up against teacher unions soon and like all the mayors before him he’s going to learn it’s not worth the trouble. The teach union is rightfully pissed and they can pull a slow down strike with the best of them.

I fail to see what is meant by normalization here.

People going back to the office won't magically decrease the risk of contracting COVID. Increasing the ability of the virus to spread is more likely to result in another variant popping up and none of us can predict the lethality/disability factor of the new one. It's not like viruses have a limited amount of mutations before disappearing, and it's not like the next variant won't ever fool the vaccines.

Even with our half-assed response, we've dodged a bullet with Omicron. The proper way to get everybody comfortable with the reality of living with COVID is to implement methods that would allow us to quickly detect those infected and isolate them, along with sustained efforts to vaccinate.

This push to get people back into bars and restaurants and offices and schools by some of these mayors is pretty much how societies without resources deal with crises: out of sight, out of mind.

Where we should be addressing the deficiencies of our system, specifically the lack of a proper social safety net and the way we distribute our resources, we choose to go for expedient but inadequate solutions.

There's nothing normal about this approach, and it's pretty shameful to watch that happen in the US.

Back
Top Bottom