***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Oh, and Chicago teachers have been blocked out of their Gmail accounts by CPS, so they can't teach for the time being.

The Chicago Teachers Union voted Tuesday night to work remotely until Jan. 18 or until the city’s positivity rate, currently at 23.6 percent, falls to 10 percent.

“We want to teach,” CTU President Jesse Sharkey said at a Wednesday morning news conference. “We are prepared to do that remotely starting today.”

CPS students returned to classes Monday after winter break. But the situation was fragile, as the CTU had warned it wanted CPS to delay the return of in-person learning since the city’s averaging more cases per day and has its highest positivity rate since the start of the pandemic.

Martinez said Tuesday CPS would cancel classes if the CTU voted to move online — which the union did later that night, with 73 percent of members who voted opting for virtual learning. That led to a last-minute scramble where the vote wasn’t announced and CPS didn’t officially inform families there wouldn’t be classes Wednesday until after 11 p.m..
I don't know how any of this represents a political positive for Lightfoot.

Oh, and Chicago teachers have been blocked out of their Gmail accounts by CPS, so they can't teach for the time being.

I don't know how any of this represents a political positive for Lightfoot.
This. I’ve heard people call it a strike when that’s not the case. They voted to move to virtual learning until in person teaching is deemed safe. Officials then took away their ability to teach virtually which led to kids not being able to be taught. You cant force people to work in an unsafe environment. When a significant number of them say **** it and go get other jobs, it’s gonna be wild.

Last edited:
Obviously, I totally disagree with Eric Adam’s’ take on labor markets and wages. Dude sounds like a stereotypical Reddit poster talking as if life is an MMORPG game and low wage, precarious workers should just level up their XP and then magically we can have an economy where everyone has a job as a programmer.

Where I am sympathetic is on the constraints faced by State and Local officials. Only the Federal government can effectively deal with COVID, both mitigating the spread of disease and dealing with the economic fallout.

Even the biggest city in America is pretty powerless, especially on the fiscal side. New York City can’t print money. It has more or less balance its books and as work from home has moved a good deal of taxable economic to New Jersey or to other cities in New York State, New York City has less money to spend.

With Washington signaling that cities, States, and individuals are on their own now, the only option that mayors have is to tell everyone to get back to work and please wear a mask.
Jan 6th, 2021 def looked like an IRL MMORPG

I fail to see what is meant by normalization here.

People going back to the office won't magically decrease the risk of contracting COVID. Increasing the ability of the virus to spread is more likely to result in another variant popping up and none of us can predict the lethality/disability factor of the new one. It's not like viruses have a limited amount of mutations before disappearing, and it's not like the next variant won't ever fool the vaccines.

Even with our half-assed response, we've dodged a bullet with Omicron. The proper way to get everybody comfortable with the reality of living with COVID is to implement methods that would allow us to quickly detect those infected and isolate them, along with sustained efforts to vaccinate.

This push to get people back into bars and restaurants and offices and schools by some of these mayors is pretty much how societies without resources deal with crises: out of sight, out of mind.

Where we should be addressing the deficiencies of our system, specifically the lack of a proper social safety net and the way we distribute our resources, we choose to go for expedient but inadequate solutions.

There's nothing normal about this approach, and it's pretty shameful to watch that happen in the US.

whatever the merits of the interventions you described,
politically, seems like they aren't going to happen.

so if you are a politician, the best of bad options are probably, to say get vaccinated, get boosted and get back to normal.

I didn't want to say anything but I knew you were gonna bring up the teacher's strike in Chicago.

Famb, do you really care about the political consequences for mayors in deep blue cities or are you just bringing this stuff up to provide a vehicle by which you can push your takes regarding the politics in purple states?

Because at the end of the day, I think that is really what is going on here.

there are no secret motives, these are just my takes,
if they follow a similar thought process as other takes, well yah naturally.

To me the Biden admin did a similar thing with the "unvaxxed are gonna have a winter and severe illness and death"
most people are tired of these anti vax weirdos, they are a loud minority.

and people like it when politicians to take a forceful stance against them.

To me the Biden admin did a similar thing with the "unvaxxed are gonna have a winter and severe illness and death"
most people are tired of these anti vax weirdos, they are a loud minority.

and people like it when politicians to take a forceful stance against them.
Are you comparing anti-vaxxers to people that don't want to go back into the office?

there are no secret motives, these are just my takes,
if they follow a similar thought process as other takes, well yah naturally.
To me the electorate politicians face matter if you are gonna take about the political upside of something

So I just can't look at a mayor in a deep blue city the same was a Dem in a purple state

That just seems weird to me

To me the electorate politicians face matter if you are gonna take about the political upside of something

So I just can't look at a mayor in a deep blue city the same was a Dem in a purple state

That just seems weird to me

im not saying it's exactly the same,
but I just think a lot people are underestimating how big the covid weary vs the covid cautious crowd is.

even in a deep blue city.

not in the sense that their concerns are equally valid. they are not.

just in the sense that a loud minority of people are hyper cautious about covid.
but most people are ready to go back to normal.
I don't think most people that want to go back to normal view the person that doesn't want to go back to the office or doesn't want to dine out as a hindrance to returning to normalcy as antivaxxers are.

So I don't see some major political upside to calling them out

Back
Top Bottom