***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I think this is a case where dynamics of being a public commentator obscures things.

school closures are really really really bad.
it's really bad for children that the third largest school district had to close because of strike.
and it's bad for people to minimize those negative impacts.

the most inflammatory version of that argument generates the most engagement
so that what gets pushed the most in the media.

I think NHJ had a reasonable take on this.

The Iraq comment was ******* stupid and someone can't complain about the other sides discourse while saying stupid **** like that.

I really don't know what gets into Nate Silver when he logs into Twitter.

In person learning > virtual learning obviously.

But no one can force those who are responsible for teaching, and doing all the other things done in school, to do so in an environment they feel is unsafe. People are still getting sick; people are still dying. All schools around me now have an optional mask policy. Teachers don’t feel safe. That’s literally what it comes down to.

And for it not to be lost in this discussion.

Chicago teachers want in person instruction to go forward.

They voting to go to remote instruction for a couple weeks to work out a deal for the city to provide more testing and N95 mask.

Lightfoot is probably using such strong rhetoric because her and the teachers union always beefing.

In person learning > virtual learning obviously.

But no one can force those who are responsible for teaching, and doing all the other things done in school, to do so in an environment they feel is unsafe. People are still getting sick; people are still dying. All schools around me now have an optional mask policy. Teachers don’t feel safe. That’s literally what it comes down to.

none of that really sounds reasonable to me tbh in the face of a more mild and more transmissible variant.

you are going to get omicron, you are not going to avoid it,
teachers in chicago are 91% vaccinated, boosters are available.

there is no appetite for the type government action necessary to truly suppress covid,
that ship has sailed.

so this sort of vague gesture at "feeling unsafe" does not sound compelling to me at all.

it's a unions right to strike, but I think this its a bad look.

none of that really sounds reasonable to me tbh in the face of a more mild and more transmissible variant.

you are going to get omicron, you are not going to avoid it,
teachers in chicago are 91% vaccinated, boosters are available.

there is no appetite for the type government action necessary to truly suppress covid,
that ship has sailed.

so this sort of vague gesture at "feeling unsafe" does not sound compelling to me at all.

it's a unions right to strike, but I think this its a bad look.
Given what I have read on the situation

This post is seems silly

You have basically just worked your way back to the position you had before Omicron.

Let us stop and think for a second about what happens if too many teachers get sick with Covid

Like go to your local airport's flight status page and ponder than for a second

Maybe catching cases early, and a better mask might be a smart idea if you want to keep things up and running

Given what I have read on the situation

This post is seems silly

You have basically just worked your way back to the position you had before Omicron.

minds can differ

but yah now that we have more info and it seems clear that omicron is milder
and vaccines still work at preventing serious illness.

yah im going back my original stance on this stuff.

minds can differ

but yah now that we have more info and it seems clear that omicron is milder
and vaccines still work at preventing serious illness.

yah im going back my original stance on this stuff.
What happens when a large number of teachers get sick with Covid at a school?

the teachers can do whatever they want imo.

obviously in person school is better, I'm for in person school but if the teachers don't want to do it for whatever reason that's their choice. I can't knock them for not wanting to go in right now, it's a total **** show.

in a country where labor movements are stomped out at all costs I will always take labors side regardless unless it's police.

What happens when a large number of teachers get sick with Covid at a school?

you keep school open as long possible and only go virtual when you absolutely have no choice.

I don't think preemptive closures are reasonable in this environment.
NY schools are open despite the city being in the middle of a covid wave.

school closure should be the absolute last resort.

the teachers can do whatever they want imo.

obviously in person school is better, I'm for in person school but if the teachers don't want to do it for whatever reason that's their choice. I can't knock them for not wanting to go in right now, it's a total **** show.

in a country where labor movements are stomped out at all costs I will always take labors side regardless unless it's police.
The teachers want in-person instruction to go forward

Their main beefs are: they want the city to do more testing (the city for money from the Federal government for this) and provide them with N95 mask

The city gotfederal money to address most of the demands the teachers have, soooo

The teachers want in-person instruction to go forward

Their main beefs are: they want the city to do more testing (the city for money from the Federal government for this) and provide them with N95 mask

The city gotfederal money to address most of the demands the teachers have, soooo

yeah I know, it's not too much to ask. I'm all for them doing that.

teachers don't do it for the money, we all know that. I'm not trying to have them out here being crash test dummies.

Back
Top Bottom