***Official Political Discussion Thread***

When actual basic economics smashes through muh bAsIc EcOnOmIcS.

We got all those CHUDs on Facebook bragging about how well they know economics and they act like inflation is caused exclusively by higher minimum wage.

Meanwhile, Senator Warren is finding mass real life applications of one of the few intro to econ concepts that is, even as in its simplest form, undoubtably accurate and true.

Dead…Weight…Loss. For…The…Win!

I've been inside. It's a massive building, but not with 1000s of kids inside
It's like every year they ask themselves "How many more kids can we squeeze in?"
Which is funny because it's supposed to be hard to get in :lol:

My friends live blocks away from that building. I've walked past it a thousand times (it's been years since, but still). When I saw the current student population numbers, I was floored. The building ain't THAT big.

And that brings us back to the Ted Cruz for Senate lawsuit. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) wants the Supreme Court to strike down the limit on loan repayments to federal candidates. That decision could potentially enable any lawmaker to make a high-dollar, high-interest loan to their campaign, and then use that loan as a vehicle to funnel donations directly into their pocket. (Pre-2001 FEC rulings permitted candidates to make loans to their campaign at “a ‘commercially reasonable rate’ of interest,” but that apparently did not stop Napolitano from making a loan at a double-digit interest rate.)

Everytime I think this "democracy" can't be any more ****** up than it already is (given the parameters we already know), I find out the hole is deeper.

You mean to tell me that candidates could already loan money to their campaign with interest?

:rofl:

Everytime I think this "democracy" can't be any more ****ed up than it already is (given the parameters we already know), I find out the hole is deeper.

You mean to tell me that candidates could already loan money to their campaign with interest?

:rofl:

There was a big 60 minutes piece on this is 2016 and 2020. Trump family loaned their campaign money at like 10-12%. They were banking off it.

Many democrats weren’t any better.

There was a big 60 minutes piece on this is 2016 and 2020. Trump family loaned their campaign money at like 10-12%. They were banking off it.

Many democrats weren’t any better.
True.
The first example in the article is that of Napolitano, Democrat from CA, who loaned 150k to her campaign and reportedly got back 72k on top of the original amount.

There's also this part:

Indeed, Justice Kennedy’s opinion in Citizens United framed influence-buying by donors as an affirmative good:

"Favoritism and influence are not . . . avoidable in representative politics. It is in the nature of an elected representative to favor certain policies, and, by necessary corollary, to favor the voters and contributors who support those policies. It is well understood that a substantial and legitimate reason, if not the only reason, to cast a vote for, or to make a contribution to, one candidate over another is that the candidate will respond by producing those political outcomes the supporter favors. Democracy is premised on responsiveness."
I don't think "demo" is Greek for "money," but conservative justices seem to understand it that way.

The child tax credit was one of a number of Biden proposals that were surprisingly popular in the deeply Republican state of West Virginia – not least because Manchin’s constituents have benefited from it more than most.

Ninety-three per cent of West Virginia children – about 346,000 in all – qualified for the credit payments. That extra $250 to $300 per child a month lifted about 50,000 of those children above the poverty line, according to the West Virginia Center for Budget and Policy (WVCBP).

Now that the credits have vanished, so will those advancements. The timing could not be worse. Like the rest of the country, West Virginia is suffering a surge in inflation unseen in decades, a surge that disproportionately affects the poor.

“The checks aren’t coming on,” said the WVCBP executive director, Kelly Allen. “Fifty thousand kids in West Virginia are at risk are dropping into deep poverty.”

Joe Manchin: "**** them kids"

Expect Delk in here soon after the announcement too

ezgif-5-af512023f7.gif

1642005531894.png
Wait, what?

-First, The USA tweet is bad because it sensationalizes a delicate subject

-Secondly, maybe it would be wise to actually read the article this tweet was in reference too.

It is arguing "pedophile" refers to the attraction to kids, not an abuse of kids. So there are a lot of adults that are attracted to children and don't act on their desires. By definition, those people are pedophiles as well. Child molesters are people who act and abuse children.

There are people that hate they have those desires and take efforts to make sure they are not around kids, some even choosing chemical castration. But in society, we bunch them in with child molesters, which carries a massive stigma, so these people have few options. And that is making the problem worse.

It is a nuance argument about a sensitive issue but like most things society rather bury their head in the sand than seriously grapple with the issue

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom