***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Ehh cats just failing to look at the bigger long term future that the country is headed towards.

The federal government is starting to lose power and states are splintering off and doing their own thing. The union is heading towards a dissolution.

Marijuana, abortion, firearm laws etc at the federal level are being ignored at the state level. Basically a middle finger to whatever law DC enacts. Obviously the feds can retaliate with removing federal funding. This is all going to play out and we are in the early stages...

Can’t lie a day like today makes me want to quit and stop caring about politics.

It’s really frustrating and it’s making me believe that 365 million people is just too many people to govern. The cultural differences are just too vast to overcome.

Now every dime is going to put forth to making sure Roe V Wade is back somehow. We’re now back to fighting for rights in the 1960s.

This isn’t a step backward. This is a mile backwards.
Ppl can’t be too surprised tho…Since 08, republicans been trying to get life back to 1950…They been loud and clear about this and got a chance to set things in motion once Trump got into office…Not enough ppl took it seriously and now we seeing em have actual effects on things :smh:

Ehh cats just failing to look at the bigger long term future that the country is headed towards.

The federal government is starting to lose power and states are splintering off and doing their own thing. The union is heading towards a dissolution.

Marijuana, abortion, firearm laws etc at the federal level are being ignored at the state level. Basically a middle finger to whatever law DC enacts. Obviously the feds can retaliate with removing federal funding. This is all going to play out and we are in the early stages...

How much Bitcoin do you own?

How are the Dems supposed to get anything done if they don't have the votes to do it? Magic? I'm sure there's a lot of people who'd like an answer to that question if anyone has it. And no, you can't just do anything through reconciliation.

I piss and moan about the Dems too, but I ain't letting the other side that's just straight up evil and vile off the hook.

Was watching Who We Are on Netflix (highly recommended, btw) here recently. One of the things that was painfully obvious is how this country is always taking two steps forward and three steps back. After Reconstruction, after the Civil Rights Act, and most recently, after electing a black man president. BS never changes.

You seem to think the democratic party is bad.
So my assumption is you want them replaced.

Given that they are 1 half of the American two party system, replacing them means a new two party (or more system) no?

i could be wrong but the eye test tells me that compared to republicans, there are far more centrist/moderate dems in office who are willing to vote against party lines. the group think of the republican party has a vice grip on their voting that they rarely break rank from… or maybe i’m just letting joe manchin dictate how i feel about dems

There are clear differences between the parties on abortion rights, you ignore that.
No I don't. You don't speak for me, but... no, I don't ignore that.

That hasn't come up in any of my posts, so that assumption of yours (yes it is) is not my responsibility.

You suggest third party voting ignoring that a) people don't agree with those parties entire platform on the same level they do Dems.
Again, nope.

"I guess I'll have beef. There are no other pork-less options."
"They have chicken."

That's not a suggestion. That's not "You should have chicken."

It's a statement. Taking it as more than that is presumptuous and interpretive. It's simply correcting an incorrect statement.

-foe

Who said replace? You guys keep using this word replace when I never said said that. Have you guys even been following the conversations I'm in? Someone asked what other parties support a woman's right to choose. Nothing about that answer involved replacing anything. You guys are taking pieces of what you're reading and placing words where they never were, then laughing at what want ever said.

On brand for most political discussion, though, so I get it.

-foe
I'm not laughing. I'm very serious. The 2 party system isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so promotion of other parties over the dems is basically promoting a replacement for them. I would like that replacement to be a serious party. Libertarians are not serious people.

No I don't. You don't dial for me, but... no, I don't ignore that.

That hasn't come up in any of my posts, so that assumption of yours (yes it is) is not my responsibility.

Again, nope.

"I guess I'll have beef. There are no other pork-less options."
"They have chicken."

That's not a suggestion. That's not "You should have chicken."

It's a statement. Taking it as more than that is presumptuous and interpretive. It's simply correcting an incorrect statement.

-foe
This post is silly to the point of being incoherent

Like you don't even have a rudimentary grasp of American politics by the looks of your posts

I understand the frustration, but no amount of being mad at Democrats is going to change the reality of the situation.

The Republicans have a bunch of systemic advantage that are really difficult to overcome.

Yelling at them to "do something" or slapping a new name on the moderate to center left political coalition in america is not going to do anything.

I'm curious, where would you like the comment you injected to take the conversation? Where do you expect it to go?
This is exactly exactly where I expected it to be. I know how this plays out with whatever responses I have next, too.

That doesn't negate the disappointment.

Where I would like it to go isn't possible.

-foe

I understand the frustration, but no amount of being mad at Democrats is going to change the reality of the situation.

The Republicans have a bunch of systemic advantage that are really difficult to overcome.

Yelling at them to "do something" or slapping a new name on the moderate to center left political coalition in america is not going to do anything.
I fully understand that.

-foe

This is exactly exactly where I expected it to be. I know how this plays out with whatever response I have next, too.

That doesn't negate the disappointment.

Where I would like it to go isn't possible.

-foe
So it was entirely pointless, and either a complete lack of awareness or somewhat aware but you just decided to say something stupid for the **** of it. Got it.

These hot takes are mostly ways for people to cope

It is everywhere on the internet right now

Folk don't really understand the dynamics at play right now, so they are just yelling what they do know really loudly

darthska darthska do you know that majority of the libertarian party members oppose the 1964 Civil Rights act and veiw overturning it a long term goal of the party.

This is who you are suggesting we vote for instead?
First off, I'm not a Libertarian. And if I were, I wouldn't loyally defend them, so saying 'Buuuuut LIBERTARIANS... ' wouldn't do anything for me.

Second, Dems have terrible historical points, too.

Third, AGAIN, all I did was answer that more than 1 party supports a woman's choice.

Everything happening after that is based on nothing I said or suggested.

-foe

I'm not laughing. I'm very serious. The 2 party system isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so promotion of other parties over the dems is basically promoting a replacement for them. I would like that replacement to be a serious party. Libertarians are not serious people.
Your obviously not wrong but i feel like like the longer we just keep accepting this the more things will just stay the same.

Who was the last serious third party candidate that made some real noise? Ross Perot?

In a perfect world we'd have more than a two party system. Unfortunately we live in this one. We need people who're actually gonna get into positions of power and make laws to win. That ain't gonna be someone other than the Republicans or Democrats.

i could be wrong but the eye test tells me that compared to republicans, there are far more centrist/moderate dems in office who are willing to vote against party lines. the group think of the republican party has a vice grip on their voting that they rarely break rank from… or maybe i’m just letting joe manchin dictate how i feel about dems

Yell yes the Republicans are ideologically homogeneous. They can afford to be because the Senate and electoral college math is tilted in their favor.

Democrats don't have that luxury. So you have to have a party with Joe Manchin types to win a majority in the Senate.

First off, I'm not a Libertarian. And if I were, I wouldn't loyally defend them, so saying 'Buuuuut LIBERTARIANS... ' wouldn't do anything for me.

Second, Dems have terrible historical points, too.

Third, AGAIN, all I did was answer that there are more than 2 parties that support a woman's choice.

Everything happening after that is based on nothing I said or suggested.

-foe
:smh: :lol: Whatever man

So it was entirely pointless, and either a complete lack of awareness or somewhat aware but you just decided to say something stupid for the **** of it. Got it.
No, the point was to point out...

... it's actually really simple...

... the point was simply to point out that more than 1 party supports a woman's choice.

"You're implying things based on my understanding that I demand you answer for!" is a HUUUUUGE problem in political discussion. I'm aware.

-foe

Me and osh kosh bosh osh kosh bosh been bickering on NT for days

But I got a feeling we will be united at rolling our eyes at this sentence

Thank you for this famb.

images.jpeg

There is a lot of "I don't understand the American political system very well, but I will yell a lot to pretend, so people think I do"

It is like when my aunt starts to speak louder when her Hispanic housekeeper doesn't understand her.

Yeah, that'll do it
Electing Hillary in 2016 was going to be proof that Americans could learn their civics the easy way.

Between this and the disastrous COVID response, it's way past time History takes the switch to Americans' butts to teach them that a democracy doesn't take care of itself.

And you know what? Something tells me they'll learn the WRONG lesson; half the cats yelling are also the ones who were pushing the both sides narrative here and IRL that helped depress the vote.
That is NOT the only pro-choice party.

-foe
It's the only one that can be in Congress to change the laws, but there are plenty of other rights to be taken away before you realize that.

Back
Top Bottom