***Official Political Discussion Thread***

FfMb4V6XEAYVHzn.jpeg

You will see this play out next year when they use the debt ceiling to try to cut Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security

People with both sides the issue and give equal blame to the Dems for the GOP holding the country hostage

So when the GOP moves from "cut entitlements" to "let's pass a debt to GDP cap" people will act like the Dems are being unreasonable for not completely sabotaging their platform and country

You will see this play out next year when they use the debt ceiling to try to cut Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security

People with both sides the issue and give equal blame to the Dems for the GOP holding the country hostage

So when the GOP moves from "cut entitlements" to "let's pass a debt to GDP cap" people will act like the Dems are being unreasonable for not completely sabotaging their platform and country

The media will never push back because this current political climate is a huge revenue generating machine for them. Trump was a gold mine for them but he took things too far and started threatening them. I also question who those "voters" are since they choose people that are ops to complain.

I've never been able to understand how raising interest rates is supposed to help inflation.

A lot of people will just end up paying more for credit - my mortgage has been bumped up a few times this year and there are a few other things too - and others will make more saving money - so how is either of those going to encourage prices to not go up - both result in less spending surely?

Or is this just another trickle down theory that they've been pushing for decades but doesn't actually work.

But what do I know? - just going through my third "once in a generation" recession in my working lifetime.

I've never been able to understand how raising interest rates is supposed to help inflation.

A lot of people will just end up paying more for credit - my mortgage has been bumped up a few times this year and there are a few other things too - and others will make more saving money - so how is either of those going to encourage prices to not go up - both result in less spending surely?#

Or is this just another trickle down theory that they've been pushing for decades but doesn't actually work.

But what do I know? - just going through my third "once in a generation" recession in my working lifetime.

Some one can add to my high school economic theory here...but less spending is supposed to bring prices down. People buy less...they need to be enticed to spend...so prices come down. Kind of how the housing market is cooling off. People aren't taking out mortgages at the higher rates now...so housing prices are coming down.

But it seems that this recession is different. The supply chain and the record corporate profit (also read...corporate greed) is a different monster.
“We see input costs cooling more than consumer prices and companies aren’t giving that pricing back to the consumer, or at least not yet.”

This is what i can make of it. Supply chain starts to cool...corporations are too used to these huge profit margins they achieved over the pandemic due to short supply high demand = high price. So now that is not becoming the case the corporations aren't adjusting...they are just keeping prices high because.....capitalism. So it all ends up being bad for consumers when money is expensive if they need to buy a house/car per say...and prices are still high and increasing for consumer goods. Welcome to the recession

A lot of people will just end up paying more for credit - my mortgage has been bumped up a few times this year and there are a few other things too - and others will make more saving money - so how is either of those going to encourage prices to not go up - both result in less spending surely?

It crunches consumer wallets thus slowing demand and allowing supply side to catch up and even up with demand and taming inflation.

this. on the other side of things, it still benefits the lender.

Depends on who you look at. Those with frozen low rates they are fine. Those who are on revolving spot credit yea it screws them. Rate spreads have been kept artificially low since 2002 anyway. I think that the fed has been doing a horrible job since bush.

Only thing I noticed terrible rates on is houses, which is a big deal obviously since you’ll never finance more money than to buy a house unless it’s a business or something.

Cars and stuff it’s fine if you shop around.

Depends on who you look at. Those with frozen low rates they are fine. Those who are on revolving spot credit yea it screws them. Rate spreads have been kept artificially low since 2002 anyway. I think that the fed has been doing a horrible job since bush.
not sure if my brother made a good decision since he just bought a house this year. it would have been great 2 years ago and could have locked that in. oh well, not my problem since I have my own to deal with credits.

not sure if my brother made a good decision since he just bought a house this year. it would have been great 2 years ago and could have locked that in. oh well, not my problem since I have my own to deal with credits.

More so depends on at what price he paid. If he paid a sticker price way over valued say January 2022 under low rates I think he overpaid. When stuff crashes a bit because of higher rates and because we go into a full recession his purchase might look bad for a while until things rebalance. I thought buying a house anytime in 2021 was stupid as things were peak pricing.

More so depends on at what price he paid. If he paid a sticker price way over valued say January 2022 under low rates I think he overpaid. When stuff crashes a bit because of higher rates and because we go into a full recession his purchase might look bad for a while until things rebalance. I thought buying a house anytime in 2021 was stupid as things were peak pricing.
nobody can afford to pay right now. have to ask the wife again to pull out our risky investment rather than lose everything.

Back
Top Bottom