***Official Political Discussion Thread***

RustyShackleford RustyShackleford or anyone else who knows. I’ll ask public so anyone else who doesn’t know gets the answer too.

Why is the speaker of the house important? Are they just the main voice of the house?
The speaker does the following.
1. Controls who chairs committees
2. Decides how bills get brought to the floor for a vote.

3. Is third in line to the President

4. Sets rules and regulations for how the house conducts its business (I.e. Nancy required metal detectors and no guns and allowed for Virtual votes during Pandemic)

These are just a few things.

Oh so they actually do have hella power to make it a smooth running system or a total disaster.

Appreciate it

The speaker does the following.
1. Controls who chairs committees
2. Decides how bills get brought to the floor for a vote.

3. Is third in line to the President

4. Sets rules and regulations for how the house conducts its business (I.e. Nancy required metal detectors and no guns and allowed for Virtual votes during Pandemic)

These are just a few things.
All this

And the position is required by the Constitution

Oh so they actually do have hella power to make it a smooth running system or a total disaster.

Appreciate it
Yes, which is why it is a highly sought after position when you have a caucus that supports you. Cantor, Boheiner, Ryan and now Kev on Stage have learned that the trash the Tea Party and MAGA brought in makes it an awful position for a Republican.

Yeah I could see how they’d be coming for your head for all sorts of reasons now.

Petty or an actual reason everyone is going to be blaming you for everything.

So now they elect a new speaker and will most likely turn on them too?

Yeah I could see how they’d be coming for your head for all sorts of reasons now.

Petty or an actual reason everyone is going to be blaming you for everything.

So now they elect a new speaker and will most likely turn on them too?
This is why Nancy will go down as one of the greatest leaders we've ever seen. She had her detractors and enemies but this nonsense would never happen on her watch. Kev was so desperate for the job that he agreed to a rules package which allowed this to happen. As an FYI, ever time there is a new Congress (every odd year after a general election) there are votes for speaker of the house, the rules package (how business will be conducted) and other important matters.

The speaker usually is from the party that has the most congressional seats but doesn't have to be. Then you have the Majority Leader which is the leader of the Majority. You have the Minority Leader which is leader of the Minority party and all other roles.

Where Kev screwed up was with agreeing to a rules package that the MAGA wing demanded. This one person motion to vacate stuff is brand new. In the past you needed a majority of your caucus to call the vote. Kev gave away all the things that make a speaker a leader just to say he got there. It's like spending your life savings on T Swift tickets only to find out that your tickets were to the overflow room at a different stadium. Would that be worth it to most? No, but it was worth it to Kev

1091.gif

Back
Top Bottom